Ten Passes? This is not progress!

DivisionN

If Gus thinks he can win running the ball, he has no problems keeping it on the ground. Look at Nick Marshall's pass attempts in 2013:

Against Arkansas: 7 att

UT: 7

Mizzu: 11

Ole Miss: 17 attempts (the next game after LSU loss.)

Bama: 16

Most pass attempts were in the 2 losses and close games:

Miss St: 34 att

LSU: 33

UGA: 26

FSU: 27

Please note: I am not comparing the 2015 team or QB to the 2013 team or Nick Marshall. I am showing that Gus prefers to run the ball when it is a perceived strength relative to the passing game.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-marshall-2/gamelog/2013/

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it's game time you play to win....practice is where you work on things. In the SEC you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run. The run game made some strides today...run defense not so much. Specifically with the caliber of RB remaining on the schedule. The run game has to be a consistent threat to open up the pass game. Got to pull that safety down to open up the field.

When it's game time you play to win....practice is where you work on things. In the SEC you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run. The run game made some strides today...run defense not so much. Specifically with the caliber of RB remaining on the schedule. The run game has to be a consistent threat to open up the pass game. Got to pull that safety down to open up the field.

I agree that we should play to win, obviously. But we should have been able to work on passing in this game. It shouldn't have been close.

Wait...did I read sw looked good? Wow.

I wouldn't say he looked bad. Jason smith should have caught the long ball, though it was off a bit. It looked like Duke could make a play on the early deep ball against a smaller db and he looked like he was drugged on the play. He drilled melvin ray on a short pass in the red zone that was dropped. So, throw in one of those long ball catches and ray catching the ball and his stats are much better and the game probably not as close.

The fumbles are an issue. If they keep running him like thay are, bad things may/probably will happen.

I don't see any qb excelling in our current offense. The playcalling is baffling. The ol gets abused by sjsu and jsu. The receivers get called out during or after nearly every game in some way by announcers or analysts for some type of poor performance. I'm not putting that on the wr's necessarily, I don't think they are being given a fighting chance.

Lots of focus on the offense here and understandably so. But when struggling to get the defense off the field, the dynamics of a game change and the establishment of a solid run game become more imperative. You handicap your defense even further with a few dropped passes and a 3 and out, so giving your D a breather with some time consuming run plays becomes a necessity.

This team has the opportunity to take a step forward offensively s soon as we deliver some consecutive 3 and outs of our own on defense.

There's much more truth in this than most people think.

Priority #1 always has to be to win - check that block.

Priority #2 ( on O) has to be to establish the run. I really don't think this was done until late in the game when SJSU's lack of depth became evident. I think we all would like to pass more, but until we establish the run that can't happen. Sure, there's some "chicken or the egg" effect, because running is harder if you're not balanced, but against SJSU we had the luxury of not needing balance.

Priority #3 (for the O) is to work on the pass. The run took much to long to get in play, and because our D wasn't able to keep them from driving, I don't think we had enough of a cushion to really experiment or work on anything that puts Priority #1 at risk.

SW has done much better than JJ in every aspect of the game and I don't think it's even close.

I think Gus met Priority #1, made progress at Priority #2, and didn't get far enough down the list to get to #3. IMO this is mostly due to an O line that isn't dominate up front yet, and a D that let SJSU move the ball at will. Yes the TO's were nice, but we still let them move the ball way too much.

The good thing is we've got a week and a half to continue to improve and we've made some progress. Sure, a lot less than we'd like, but at this point I'll take what I can get, and #3 will be easier with the accuracy that SW has shown.

The run game made some strides today

Except that it really didn't. Barber was at something like 24 carries for ~78 yards late in the 3rd quarter before he broke a few long runs which made his overall line look like we were running well all game long, which wasn't the case at all.

Without a true running threat from the QB, this offense needs to be able to pass the ball to open up the running game against any good defense. What are we doing to suggest that will all of a sudden improve this nonexistent passing game? Throwing 10 passes against a cupcake opponent definitely shows zero initiative.

And I agree that he is not turning the ball over, but what else is he doing well? I know he's only played 2 games, but there's nothing that jumps out and says, you know if we got better play from others, we would be unstoppable. I mean, you or I could have played QB today and wouldn't have noticed a difference. And that's my point with SW. He doesn't have game-changing abilities. Usually, even with true freshmen playing in mop-up duty, you see glimpses of an athlete that makes you go wow. If you are a defensive coordinator, are you scared about SW beating you? If we're just going to do zone-read, why not just put Jason Smith or another QB to run it, because SW clearly is clearly the least threatening QB on the roster to run....

Dude, they are running an offense on training wheels with him behind the wheel. How can you expect White to 'wow' you in this mess?

If I give the greatest musician on the planet a stick and two rocks and ask him to make music, are you going to hear a master-piece?

Cam Newton plays the drums

Today was not the time to "work on things".

Right, the time to "work on things" is against our upcoming SEC opponents who will throttle us. We will be glad we spent this entire game running up the middle repeatedly when we're all of a sudden asking Sean White to complete 3rd and longs against SEC defenses blitzing his ass.

Exactly

Lots of focus on the offense here and understandably so. But when struggling to get the defense off the field, the dynamics of a game change and the establishment of a solid run game become more imperative. You handicap your defense even further with a few dropped passes and a 3 and out, so giving your D a breather with some time consuming run plays becomes a necessity.

This team has the opportunity to take a step forward offensively s soon as we deliver some consecutive 3 and outs of our own on defense.

There's much more truth in this than most people think.

Priority #1 always has to be to win - check that block.

Priority #2 ( on O) has to be to establish the run. I really don't think this was done until late in the game when SJSU's lack of depth became evident. I think we all would like to pass more, but until we establish the run that can't happen. Sure, there's some "chicken or the egg" effect, because running is harder if you're not balanced, but against SJSU we had the luxury of not needing balance.

Priority #3 (for the O) is to work on the pass. The run took much to long to get in play, and because our D wasn't able to keep them from driving, I don't think we had enough of a cushion to really experiment or work on anything that puts Priority #1 at risk.

SW has done much better than JJ in every aspect of the game and I don't think it's even close.

I think Gus met Priority #1, made progress at Priority #2, and didn't get far enough down the list to get to #3. IMO this is mostly due to an O line that isn't dominate up front yet, and a D that let SJSU move the ball at will. Yes the TO's were nice, but we still let them move the ball way too much.

The good thing is we've got a week and a half to continue to improve and we've made some progress. Sure, a lot less than we'd like, but at this point I'll take what I can get, and #3 will be easier with the accuracy that SW has shown.

+1

Except that it really didn't. Barber was at something like 24 carries for ~78 yards late in the 3rd quarter before he broke a few long runs which made his overall line look like we were running well all game long, which wasn't the case at all.

Without a true running threat from the QB, this offense needs to be able to pass the ball to open up the running game against any good defense. What are we doing to suggest that will all of a sudden improve this nonexistent passing game? Throwing 10 passes against a cupcake opponent definitely shows zero initiative.

Too risky ...passing the ball downfield without completions will only create quick 3 and outs and put defense back on field. If the run game is popping passing is a lot easier.....imo

So when you're struggling at the QB position we should use a game against a decent team to "work on things"? Had Gus come out and let SW throw 30 times and we lost the game, the same folks criticizing him for not opening it up would have been criticizing him for playcalling in a loss. Bottom line is, in the current shape we're in we can't afford to use games as glorified scrimmages. You play to win the game whatever it takes. We have one game between now and the 24th. The practice field is where we can work to improve.

I think some overestimate the improvement that can occur in a week.

Dude it's ugly. Players aren't buying into what the coaches are doing and the coaches don't trust the players. Gus is convinced that if the players will execute his offense he can beat anyone but it looks like the rest of the NCAA had figured out how to stop Gus as of right now. Gus's ego is the problem. This is going to get ugly. IMO.

So when you're struggling at the QB position we should use a game against a decent team to "work on things"? Had Gus come out and let SW throw 30 times and we lost the game, the same folks criticizing him for not opening it up would have been criticizing him for playcalling in a loss. Bottom line is, in the current shape we're in we can't afford to use games as glorified scrimmages. You play to win the game whatever it takes. We have one game between now and the 24th. The practice field is where we can work to improve.

I think you are correct, of course. However, all of the hall of fame coaches that post on this board think they know better.

Dude it's ugly. Players aren't buying into what the coaches are doing and the coaches don't trust the players. Gus is convinced that if the players will execute his offense he can beat anyone but it looks like the rest of the NCAA had figured out how to stop Gus as of right now. Gus's ego is the problem. This is going to get ugly. IMO.

Ouch.

I think there is an ego problem but I don't think it is Gus. Seems every week we get a replay pointing out Auburn players quitting or giving half ass efforts.

If I were a coach, I wouldn't play a single player I felt I couldn't trust. Is it so bad we can't field a team on O?

Too bad if true. Gus is right. I've coached ball for a few years now and if you execute in that offense you can beat a lot of people.

Running game didn't make strides????

Previous team best on the season was 201 yards and 2 tds. Yesterday we had 234 and 5 tds Let's not let facts get in the way here...And don't claim it's all Barber. Last I checked he is part of the rushing attack. Before yesterday we had a total of 4 rushing tds in 4 games. Yesterday we had 5 in 1 game. You're right, no strides at all.

Running game didn't make strides????

Previous team best on the season was 201 yards and 2 tds. Yesterday we had 234 and 5 tds Let's not let facts get in the way here...And don't claim it's all Barber. Last I checked he is part of the rushing attack. Before yesterday we had a total of 4 rushing tds in 4 games. Yesterday we had 5 in 1 game. You're right, no strides at all.

San Jose State is ranked the #119 rushing D in the country, giving up an average of 263.2 YPG.

Just what is a win against SJST actually worth? What is game-time experience worth?

AU needs a balanced attack. And they needed to be working on it in real time.

The practice field? The AU practice field (which should be renamed 'Miracle Field') somehow exists outside of normal space-time. It's where CGM and CRL see Jeremy Johnson as a Heisman candidate and Auburn as set to win the SECC. It's where Peyton Barber is a second- or third-stringer. Nothing that's real on the AU practice field has actually proved translatable and applicable in real world football game-time. In real space-time (game-time) JJ is a benched QB bit player. Peyton Barber is the offense and AU is serving hard time in the SECW basement with a team that totally kicked our asses.

Yeah. I think Gus should work out his team's problems on the field, because he needs to see what works and what doesn't in the real world. And 10 passes is not enough to tell anyone much about the passing game. What it does say is that Gus is not going to curb his run it up the middle fetish. Nor will he tailor his offense to his QB, but rather his QB to his offense. So expect to see SW run as much as he passes - those passes being on 3rd and longs.

Gonna be a long season, folks.

*rant mode: off*

*nomex: on*

And I agree that he is not turning the ball over, but what else is he doing well? I know he's only played 2 games, but there's nothing that jumps out and says, you know if we got better play from others, we would be unstoppable. I mean, you or I could have played QB today and wouldn't have noticed a difference. And that's my point with SW. He doesn't have game-changing abilities. Usually, even with true freshmen playing in mop-up duty, you see glimpses of an athlete that makes you go wow. If you are a defensive coordinator, are you scared about SW beating you? If we're just going to do zone-read, why not just put Jason Smith or another QB to run it, because SW clearly is clearly the least threatening QB on the roster to run....

Dude, they are running an offense on training wheels with him behind the wheel. How can you expect White to 'wow' you in this mess?

If I give the greatest musician on the planet a stick and two rocks and ask him to make music, are you going to hear a master-piece?

Cam Newton plays the drums

Lol. Does he have a brother in JUCO?

Right, the time to "work on things" is against our upcoming SEC opponents who will throttle us. We will be glad we spent this entire game running up the middle repeatedly when we're all of a sudden asking Sean White to complete 3rd and longs against SEC defenses blitzing his ass.

This...ALL of this! Today was the perfect time to work on things.

What you guys fail to realize is that we WERE working on things. The way Gus builds his O, the run needs to be dominant. Until today it has not been. We had a whopping 165 yards rushing against JACK ST!!! 165!!!! Yesterday we had 240 against a better team. For us to survive the SEC at all, our Oline needed big improvements. Unfortunately for those who are dying for a 300 yard passing game, passing AND running were broken and we chose to fix running this week..and did. Now we have KY about to load up the box and hopefully we can work on passing. Before today, teams could cover the run and the pass at the same time. Now they have to focus on the run. I'm not saying we are a great team, but this is what has to be done to get this team better. Now we feel better about the rushing attack and we can work more on passing.

And an fyi for those dying to fire Rhett and move DC to OC....have you seen our receiver play the last 3 years????? Why does anyone think he should be moved up????? He is failing terribly at coaching just 1 position. I respect him and all he's done for AU, but if Rhett goes, DC should be moved to QB coach and hire an OC that can coach WRS. JMO

We were? So 10 passes is going to get it done in the SEC West? If it does...much credit to our staff.

I think a couple of reasons factored into the game we saw.

1. As someone said running game is not where it needs to be and we need it to work. You need at least something you do really well. That is what should be our strength since the offense thrives on good running game.

2. San Jose strength is the secondary while run defense is worst. "Take what defense gives you" as Gus always says.

I do wish we could have thrown a little more, especially on first down. It would have been a perfect time to start the game with a deep pass after the great kickoff return to start game. I pretty much predicted the play calling that series. First down "forward" passing is something we really need it seems.

This...ALL of this! Today was the perfect time to work on things.

What you guys fail to realize is that we WERE working on things. The way Gus builds his O, the run needs to be dominant. Until today it has not been. We had a whopping 165 yards rushing against JACK ST!!! 165!!!! Yesterday we had 240 against a better team. For us to survive the SEC at all, our Oline needed big improvements. Unfortunately for those who are dying for a 300 yard passing game, passing AND running were broken and we chose to fix running this week..and did. Now we have KY about to load up the box and hopefully we can work on passing. Before today, teams could cover the run and the pass at the same time. Now they have to focus on the run. I'm not saying we are a great team, but this is what has to be done to get this team better. Now we feel better about the rushing attack and we can work more on passing.

And an fyi for those dying to fire Rhett and move DC to OC....have you seen our receiver play the last 3 years????? Why does anyone think he should be moved up????? He is failing terribly at coaching just 1 position. I respect him and all he's done for AU, but if Rhett goes, DC should be moved to QB coach and hire an OC that can coach WRS. JMO

We were? So 10 passes is going to get it done in the SEC West? If it does...much credit to our staff.

You obviously don't get it and just want to argue. Enjoy arguing with yourself. I laid out clearly we were working on running the ball. I'm sorry you don't understand that. Take it up with Gus. I don't make the gameplans. I just told you what the plan was and you seem to think that is the gameplan for the rest of the year. Maybe someone else can make you understand. I'm not gonna try.

Archived