Offensive Identity

lala

To me, part of the problem is that Gus' offense does not have an identity or single philosophy.. He has been praised for his ability to fit his offense to the players he has. The reason this is causing us so many problems is how we recruit.

Most coaches have a single basic goal to get the best players they can that fit their philosophy. Some are spread oriented others Pro style, etc. Some run heavy, others pass heavy, etc.

Gus' teams recruit a hodgepdge of the highest ranking players. But they are not recruited toward an end goal of a single philosophy. We gather them all up, see what we got, and try to come up with a philosophy that fits whatever players we signed. The end result is that we have 3 QB's that have completely different skills based on major football philosophy differences.

IMO; Gus needs to pick a philosophy and recruit towards it. IF he wants to go pocket passer on O then we need 3 pocket pasing QBs. If he wants a scrambling/running QB, we need 3 running QBs. If he needs a DT QB than we need 3 DT QBs on the roster. The same with every position across the team. Pick a strategy and recruit towards it, not get who you can and struggle to develop them.

We have 3 pocket passers :dunno:

3? KJ is wildcat. Queen is "hurt" (surgery). JJ and white may be pocket passers but our WRs have been trained the last two years to block for a running QB like NM. Linemen have two years experience blocking for the running QB, not holding blocks for a pocket passer. Our team has 2 years experience in one philosophy, and we somehow end up with 2 QB's that are built for a different style.

beside QB was just an example. I originally typed out a lot of different positions and how they need to be recruited for skills that match each other and the team philosophy. I deleted it for bevity.

The point is we randomly pick high profile athletes and try to adopt to them. When we should be recruiting the best kids we can that fit into A philosophy so they can add to what they know, and gain experience as they age. A 3 start QB that fits the team identity is better than a 5 star that does not.

Dang! now I typed philosophy so many times it sounds funny.

While it has been discussed before, our main recruiting targets 2 years ago were Watson (Clemson) and Harris (LSU). Both were definitely DT QB. Why did we not get either? Probably because they both thought JJ was the QB through 2016 and they would not see the field until 2017. Both would have fit in this O very nicely IMO. You can see what Watson can do especially. So I don't think we pick randomly high profile athletes and try to adept. We recruited very specific DT QBS and struck out.

I can see that. I think that happens pretty often. Too often, and not just at QB.

I just do no think there were only 2 DT QB available. If we wanted a DT QB, then we should have found one or two somewhere.

There had to have been a couple dozen DT QBs that would have loved to come to Auburn. They may not have been a highly ranked as Harris and Watson, but they are out there.

To me, part of the problem is that Gus' offense does not have an identity or single philosophy.. He has been praised for his ability to fit his offense to the players he has. The reason this is causing us so many problems is how we recruit.

Most coaches have a single basic goal to get the best players they can that fit their philosophy. Some are spread oriented others Pro style, etc. Some run heavy, others pass heavy, etc.

Gus' teams recruit a hodgepdge of the highest ranking players. But they are not recruited toward an end goal of a single philosophy. We gather them all up, see what we got, and try to come up with a philosophy that fits whatever players we signed. The end result is that we have 3 QB's that have completely different skills based on major football philosophy differences.

IMO; Gus needs to pick a philosophy and recruit towards it. IF he wants to go pocket passer on O then we need 3 pocket pasing QBs. If he wants a scrambling/running QB, we need 3 running QBs. If he needs a DT QB than we need 3 DT QBs on the roster. The same with every position across the team. Pick a strategy and recruit towards it, not get who you can and struggle to develop them.

We have 3 pocket passers :dunno:/>

3? KJ is wildcat. Queen is "hurt" (surgery). JJ and white may be pocket passers but our WRs have been trained the last two years to block for a running QB like NM. Linemen have two years experience blocking for the running QB, not holding blocks for a pocket passer. Our team has 2 years experience in one philosophy, and we somehow end up with 2 QB's that are built for a different style.

beside QB was just an example. I originally typed out a lot of different positions and how they need to be recruited for skills that match each other and the team philosophy. I deleted it for bevity.

The point is we randomly pick high profile athletes and try to adopt to them. When we should be recruiting the best kids we can that fit into A philosophy so they can add to what they know, and gain experience as they age. A 3 start QB that fits the team identity is better than a 5 star that does not.

While it has been discussed before, our main recruiting targets 2 years ago were Watson (Clemson) and Harris (LSU). Both were definitely DT QB. Why did we not get either? Probably because they both thought JJ was the QB through 2016 and they would not see the field until 2017. Both would have fit in this O very nicely IMO. You can see what Watson can do especially. So I don't think we pick randomly high profile athletes and try to adept. We recruited very specific DT QBS and struck out.

it is nice to read a post that makes sense sometimes. Thank you. I am reading more bull**** than i can respond to. Especially in this thread.

it is nice to read a post that makes sense sometimes. Thank you. I am reading more bull**** than i can respond to. Especially in this thread.

Skip the bull****, and definitely avoid responding to it. The authors of bull**** will always beat you with experience.

Skip the bull****, and definitely avoid responding to it. The authors of bull**** will always beat you with experience.

we need to create a thread for reasonable discussions. Let i could moderate it.

Yeah, lets start a thread were everyone does the bama like coach-worship and everyones view matches yours. Sounds interesting. There are too many posters that have spent too much time convincing themselves Gus is a genius. Clinging to this fantasy they are less willing to discuss what may be happening with Auburn football. Your perspective is not the only one in the world. The arrogance of some of the posters on this board is astounding.

I can see that. I think that happens pretty often. Too often, and not just at QB.

I just do no think there were only 2 DT QB available. If we wanted a DT QB, then we should have found one or two somewhere.

There had to have been a couple dozen DT QBs that would have loved to come to Auburn. They may not have been a highly ranked as Harris and Watson, but they are out there.

You're right they are out there. But they are closer to the level of Jonathan Wallace than they are starting caliber SEC QBs.

Yeah, lets start a thread were everyone does the bama like coach-worship and everyones view matches yours. Sounds interesting. There are too many posters that have spent too much time convincing themselves Gus is a genius. Clinging to this fantasy they are less willing to discuss what may be happening with Auburn football. Your perspective is not the only one in the world. The arrogance of some of the posters on this board is astounding.

the ignorance of some is disappointing. The pure lack of common sense is magnified by the lack of basic football knowledge. Reread this thread and disagree?

the ignorance of some is disappointing. The pure lack of common sense is magnified by the lack of basic football knowledge. Reread this thread and disagree?

I agree, but so what?

Do posters have to have a certain amount of knowledge about football to post here or be an Auburn fan?

If you are so wise, spread your knowledge to the uninformed masses. Try not to be one of those posters that is more interested in telling everyone how uninformed they are or insulting peoples posts than discussing football. Name calling and saying posts are bull**** adds nothing and drives a wedge deeper into our fan base.

You're right they are out there. But they are closer to the level of Jonathan Wallace than they are starting caliber SEC QBs.

That is true.

Ironically Wallace may have been our best option at QB this year if he had been practicing at QB.

Would have been nice to have 3-4 players about the same "lower" level as Wallace in the system for the last couple years. Ya' coach 'em up. Pick the best one and start off where you left of the year before.

The offensive story for this season is surreal, the more one ponders it. How does the maestro of a decade of shock & awe offenses suddenly become (apparently) a dunce? And if the problem has been delegating too much of the play calling or plan, by game 10 that's still stunningly dense. Suggestions that Gus is unreasonably "stubborn" makes their way into many posts on this board but even if I agreed with that (which I don't) did Gus suddenly become that way? I keep waiting for this "ha, ha, okay that didn't work, here we go" game on offense.

fwiw, a likely combo explanation is (okay, yawn) the clearly unexpected catastrophic collapse of the QB and WR situations. So who would have guessed in July that Duke would be gone, his backups would have chronic focus issues, JJ would be a deer in headlights to the point we'd need the promising frosh backup QB who would be sidelined & marginalized with injury just about the time he was settling in? Plus an anticipated feature RB taking half the Fall to "get his head right" and one of the premier DC's in the college biz misjudging just how Johnson-ized his D still was by September. Coaching? maybe. Perfect storm? No doubt. I'm not a "blindly hang in there, ya'll" type but with this staff and these players - let's hang in there, it's coming. IMHO.

The offensive story for this season is surreal, the more one ponders it. How does the maestro of a decade of shock & awe offenses suddenly become (apparently) a dunce? And if the problem has been delegating too much of the play calling or plan, by game 10 that's still stunningly dense. Suggestions that Gus is unreasonably "stubborn" makes their way into many posts on this board but even if I agreed with that (which I don't) did Gus suddenly become that way? I keep waiting for this "ha, ha, okay that didn't work, here we go" game on offense.

fwiw, a likely combo explanation is (okay, yawn) the clearly unexpected catastrophic collapse of the QB and WR situations. So who would have guessed in July that Duke would be gone, his backups would have chronic focus issues, JJ would be a deer in headlights to the point we'd need the promising frosh backup QB who would be sidelined & marginalized with injury just about the time he was settling in? Plus an anticipated feature RB taking half the Fall to "get his head right" and one of the premier DC's in the college biz misjudging just how Johnson-ized his D still was by September. Coaching? maybe. Perfect storm? No doubt. I'm not a "blindly hang in there, ya'll" type but with this staff and these players - let's hang in there, it's coming. IMHO.

I truly, truly hope so. I want to have that kind of optimism, but it is difficult after watching this team week in and week out. I just want them to execute with some kind of consistency. It is that lack of execution that probably depresses me the most.

That is true.

Ironically Wallace may have been our best option at QB this year if he had been practicing at QB.

Would have been nice to have 3-4 players about the same "lower" level as Wallace in the system for the last couple years. Ya' coach 'em up. Pick the best one and start off where you left of the year before.

Gus and Co. would have been crucified if they had hauled in 3-4 lower level QB's like Wallace. And the "coach 'em up" part ain't workin too well in the QB department at AU.

That is true.

Gus and Co. would have been crucified if they had hauled in 3-4 lower level QB's like Wallace. And the "coach 'em up" part ain't workin too well in the QB department at AU.

we learned we need more options in the system though

That is true.

He will be double crucified if next year is similar to the last two years.

And I agree that we have problems coaching them up on O.

If we can't coach them up, and we recruit players that are not perfect fits for the system, where does that leave us?...... at 6-6 and scraping the bottom of the SEC.

That is true.

If we can't coach them up, and we recruit players that are not perfect fits for the system, where does that leave us?...... at 6-6 and scraping the bottom of the SEC.

If next year's offense is similar in production to this year's, he should be double crucified.

That is true.

If next year's offense is similar in production to this year's, he should be double crucified.

how can it be similar to the last two years. The last two were completely different from each other.

That is true.

how can it be similar to the last two years. The last two were completely different from each other.

I didn't say it was.

How do you not believe Gus is stubborn?

Every offensive scheme has a "shelf life"....after which time good coaches move along to something newer or different...and it's the stubborn guys who tried to run the veer or the wishbone or I long after everyone figured out how to defense it....and eventually lost their jobs.

I don't know if Gus is a "one trick pony" but there is no question in my mind that the SEC DCs have a good idea what to expect from Gus...and have made suitable adjustments to deal with him scheme.

That is true.

I didn't say it was.

above your reply. i quoted one extra reply.

That is true.

I didn't say it was.

above your reply. i quoted one extra reply.

Because the last two years we have looked lost and/or panicked more often than we should.

There have been only a couple games the last 2 years that our offense ran "smoothly" the whole game. (smoothly as in prepaired for what is happening in the game) All teams have ups and downs and a play here and there that they are not ready for during a game, but we have multiple drives in most games where the O looks confused. Even in our wins, and even when we put up a lot of points. It also seems like the confusion runs deeper for us or effects us harder than other teams. Maybe I am biased because I watch Auburn closer than other schools, but it seems to me we have that lost look way more often than past AU teams or other schools' teams.

There's no doubt with cgm running the offense the high's have been higher and the lows have been ..... low. And obviously it's a lot about how we're trending.

Nonetheless, i still can't shake the fact that we've been to the national champtionship game 1/3 of last 6 years with his offense. I don't remember any good ol days like that. And now we have a defense that's improving.

He's been a fcs head coach for less than 3 years and is obviously still learning on the job, and maybe he does need to evolve himself and his scheme.

But also, maybe, he's earned just a little more patience to see where this goes.

There's no doubt with cgm running the offense the high's have been higher and the lows have been ..... low. And obviously it's a lot about how we're trending.

Nonetheless, i still can't shake the fact that we've been to the national champtionship game 1/3 of last 6 years with his offense. I don't remember any good ol days like that. And now we have a defense that's improving.

He's been a fcs head coach for less than 3 years and is obviously still learning on the job, and maybe he does need to evolve himself and his scheme.

But also, maybe, he's earned just a little more patience to see where this goes.

Guess what bothers people like me is while he might be a rookie coach...he and he staff are being in the same ballpark as guys who have a much more impressive resume' ...especially for non-SEC coaches. ....a beneficiary of Nick's exorbitant salary which has dragged a lot of unworthy coaches along toward that same stratosphere....whether their salaries are justified or not. ....guys like Sumlin, Freese and Mullen...JMO

Archived