Jason Smith...

Strychnine

He is a playmaker. The 3-4 touches he gets per game are not enough IMO.

Agreed. Unfortunately, this seems like a running theme from this season. It's like they completely forgot about how they got OMac or Corey Grant the ball.

On the contrary, I'm currently more inclined to believe that's why they recruited Franklin.

So, Smith is not a playmaker?

Maybe he's saying the addition of Franklin will create opportunities to get the playmakers the ball?

Agreed. Unfortunately, this seems like a running theme from this season. It's like they completely forgot about how they got OMac or Corey Grant the ball.

On the contrary, I'm currently more inclined to believe that's why they recruited Franklin.

I don't believe I said that at all, and I did start this thread to specifically give Jason Smith props for a great play. I was addressing AUbritt's statement about OMac and Corey Grant.

The coaches definitely want a qb that can run on the roster, whether he wins the starting job is another thing but they want an athletic qb on the roster

I'd say their usage of wildcat this year is evidence of that.

I don't believe I said that at all, and I did start this thread to specifically give Jason Smith props for a great play. I was addressing AUbritt's statement about OMac and Corey Grant.

Sorry, Strychnine -- I'm still not following. My point about CG and OMac was meant to suggest that we have, in the past, found ways to get the ball to playmakers. I said that as an aside/addition to around4ever's suggestion, with which I agreed.

Are you suggesting that they pursued Franklin to get another playmaker? I agree with that, too. I was just agreeing with around4ever that we seem, baffingly, to have failed to get playmakers the ball consistently this season. Even Kerryon Johnson, whom we tried to feature, was underutilized, IMO.

Sorry, Strychnine -- I'm still not following. My point about CG and OMac was meant to suggest that we have, in the past, found ways to get the ball to playmakers. I said that as an aside/addition to around4ever's suggestion, with which I agreed.

Are you suggesting that they pursued Franklin to get another playmaker? I agree with that, too. I was just agreeing with around4ever that we seem, baffingly, to have failed to get playmakers the ball consistently this season. Even Kerryon Johnson, whom we tried to feature, was underutilized, IMO.

I think the point, one that I've brought up before, is that his speed matches their speed. Therefore, if he doesn't end up at qb, then he has the speed to fill Omac and Grants shoes. We don't currently have anyone with that kind of speed which is why RL was running the end around all year. Also, RL is gone so there is definitely a need to fill there.

I think the point, one that I've brought up before, is that his speed matches their speed. Therefore, if he doesn't end up at qb, then he has the speed to fill Omac and Grants shoes. We don't currently have anyone with that kind of speed which is why RL was running the end around all year. Also, RL is gone so there is definitely a need to fill there.

OK, that makes sense as an interpretation of Strychnine's point. Sorry I confused things by bringing in Omac and Grant. I just meant to emphasize my agreement with around4ever. Seems like to me that it's not only Jason Smith who's been underutilized this season.

This is suppose to be Stanton's role but he is so injury prone.

We tried to find someone to fill that role in the same fashion this year, and it never worked consistently. We had all sorts of problems finding the best guys to do the best things. The substitutions that took place throughout are evidence of that. Ricardo Louis didn't have the speed, and neither did Jason Smith when he was used for it. In this offense, tempo is key, and tempo doesn't work when you have to substitute players. They're still looking for someone to fill that OMac and Corey Grant role, which is an integral part of the offense. Fast acceleration, and fast top speed, something to beat defenders to the edge.

I think Jason Smith is underutilized, but I think he is better at WR than he is at anything else. WR is a position that struggled all year. We struggled constantly to find a consistent playmaker.

We tried to find someone to fill that role in the same fashion this year, and it never worked consistently. We had all sorts of problems finding the best guys to do the best things. The substitutions that took place throughout are evidence of that. Ricardo Louis didn't have the speed, and neither did Jason Smith when he was used for it. In this offense, tempo is key, and tempo doesn't work when you have to substitute players. They're still looking for someone to fill that OMac and Corey Grant role, which is an integral part of the offense. Fast acceleration, and fast top speed, something to beat defenders to the edge.

I think Jason Smith is underutilized, but I think he is better at WR than he is at anything else. WR is a position that struggled all year. We struggled constantly to find a consistent playmaker.

OK, agree with all that. Sorry I distracted from the point of the thread. I was only trying to add emphasis to around4ever's point -- that we need to get our playmakers the ball more -- by bringing up the fact that we've found ways to do that in the past.

OK, agree with all that. Sorry I distracted from the point of the thread. I was only trying to add emphasis to around4ever's point -- that we need to get our playmakers the ball more -- by bringing up the fact that we've found ways to do that in the past.

I think Gus spent all year trying to find ways to get playmakers the ball more, but without being reliant on a player being "that guy". Gus will ride the hot hand, but he also doesn't want any player to be the key to stopping the offense. When he has options, his offense works unquestionably. Consider 2010 to be prime examples. 2010 had Cam, Dyer, OMac, and WR's to contend with. You couldn't contain all of them simultaneously. 2013 had Marshall, Mason, Grant, and WR's to contend with. No one stepped up consistently this year.

I think Gus spent all year trying to find ways to get playmakers the ball more, but without being reliant on a player being "that guy". Gus will ride the hot hand, but he also doesn't want any player to be the key to stopping the offense. When he has options, his offense works unquestionably. Consider 2010 to be prime examples. 2010 had Cam, Dyer, OMac, and WR's to contend with. You couldn't contain all of them simultaneously. 2013 had Marshall, Mason, Grant, and WR's to contend with. No one stepped up consistently this year.

I agree -- no one perfomed like a consistent playmaker. But it seems at least arguable that it's a chicken and the egg situation. Did the playmakers not making plays lead to inconsistency, or did our not getting them the ball consistently lead to a lack of big plays?

I agree -- no one perfomed like a consistent playmaker. But it seems at least arguable that it's a chicken and the egg situation. Did the playmakers not making plays lead to inconsistency, or did our not getting them the ball consistently lead to a lack of big plays?

I look at the substitutions. It might indeed be a chicken and egg situation, but the offense is ultimately looking for 11 guys that can start and finish any drive. This is not an offense that can count on ball control, or field position battles, or eating the clock. If this offense does not average 40+ points per game, I think we have more 2015's than we have 2013's.

I look at the substitutions. It might indeed be a chicken and egg situation, but the offense is ultimately looking for 11 guys that can start and finish any drive. This is not an offense that can count on ball control, or field position battles, or eating the clock. If this offense does not average 40+ points per game, I think we have more 2015's than we have 2013's.

Makes sense; though, if the D continues to improve, I think we'll be safe with 30 points per game.

Jason is a pure playmaker IMO. He needs a shot at QB next year!

He's had his shot at QB. Both he and the coaches agreed that he and the team are better off witrh him at WR.

Jason doesn't have the arm to be an SEC QB, pure and simple. Even as good a runner as Nick Marshall was, he still could fling it.

Jason started his H.S. playing at WR. It's a natural position for him. They just need to find ways to get him the ball a lot more. Our QB issues this season had a lot of bearing on that IMO.

I like all of our talented guys, but seriously. Who do you take carries away from?

When we are running 70+ plays a game, its a no brainer. Spread the ball around. But this season, we did not have a lot of those 1st, or 2nd and short to take a chance on one of the other guys. And getting them the ball in the air was not as automatic as it should be (unless sideways counts).

Guys like Roc, and Jason were a victim of our stale offense this season. It woudl have been nice to get Roc, Jason, and even Kerryon the ball on a slant or a short crossing route and let them do their thing. But we seemed to always be in desperation/safe mode.

I like all of our talented guys, but seriously. Who do you take carries away from?

When we are running 70+ plays a game, its a no brainer. Spread the ball around. But this season, we did not have a lot of those 1st, or 2nd and short to take a chance on one of the other guys. And getting them the ball in the air was not as automatic as it should be (unless sideways counts).

Guys like Roc, and Jason were a victim of our stale offense this season. It woudl have been nice to get Roc, Jason, and even Kerryon the ball on a slant or a short crossing route and let them do their thing. But we seemed to always be in desperation/safe mode.

You beat me to it. Roc, KJ, Jason, Marcus, Jovon, Peyton are all underutilized. So we need two footballs on each play or run twice as many plays to get more touches for our playmakers or maybe run that multi-lateral play several times so everyone gets a touch. Point is you have to take what defense is giving you. We threw it to Melvin a lot because he's usually not covered very well. He had a lot of touches unfortunately many for just a split second.

I mentioned substitutions earlier, and they're evidence of what you're saying. They were looking for the right combination all year, and never really found it. It was a season long struggle just to move the ball consistently and score points. All of the "playmakers" were tried at some point or another, and no one consistently stepped up. An offense struggling just to get first downs is going to have a hard time spreading the ball around.

Archived