Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I hope Gus has learned from this year is some humility and that he's not necessarily any better than a lot of other coaches. He's not necessarily any worse than a lot of others, too -- some of whom have been very successful.

Have been looking around other boards for the past couple of days and happened upon the following set of claims from a Gamecocks fan trying to argue in favor of Mushcamp as their new HC.

Will Muschamp was 28-21at UF

Nick Saban was 25-22 his first four years at Mich State

Mack Brown was 12-33 his first four years as a coach

Frank Beamer was 17-26

Lou Holtz was 21-23

Bobby Bowden was 29-16

Dantonio was 25-23

Steve Spurrier was 28-22 his first four years at USC

As of today, Gus Malzahn is 26-13 at Auburn. If he wins 8 games next season, that'd put him just ahead of Bobby Bowden in terms of his first 4 year winning percentage.

I sure hope Gus has also learned that he needs to have a backup plan and be prepared to execute it. Finally, I hope he's learned to be himself as a coach, to embrace his own coaching philosophy, and to quit trying to please everyone else.

Gus knows humility. He's been at the bottom and was treated like a step child at Arkansas (yet provided some great insight) so I'd say he's just now learning the ropes of being HC at a major institution.

Gus knows humility. He's been at the bottom and waste treated like a step child at Arkansas (yet provided some great insight) so I'd say he's just now learning the ropes of being HC at a major institution.

Maybe we mean something different by 'humility'. Being "waste treated like a step child" -- although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that -- sounds more like humiliation.

I mean I hope Gus has come to some awareness of his own flaws, as well as his strengths.

Gus knows humility. He's been at the bottom and waste treated like a step child at Arkansas (yet provided some great insight) so I'd say he's just now learning the ropes of being HC at a major institution.

Maybe we mean something different by 'humility'. Being "waste treated like a step child" -- although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that -- sounds more like humiliation.

I mean I hope Gus has come to some awareness of his own flaws, as well as his strengths.

I think you are correct on both regards. 2013 might have been a blessing and a curse.

I think this year is one of humble......something new to him since it was his offense that caused it to happen.

Hey AUbritt ! How's it going ?

Like what you posted although I phrased it a bit differently when beating down the UpDykes this season.

I reminded them that Malzahn took AU to 20-7 in his first two seasons while Saban's record was 19-8. Took Malzahn one season to put us in the NC, Saban took 3.

At least it tweaks their noses. lol

I'll have to come up with another angle after this season's debacle.

WDE !!!

Hey AUbritt ! How's it going ?

Like what you posted although I phrased it a bit differently when beating down the UpDykes this season.

I reminded them that Malzahn took AU to 20-7 in his first two seasons while Saban's record was 19-8. Took Malzahn one season to put us in the NC, Saban took 3.

At least it tweaks their noses. lol

I'll have to come up with another angle after this season's debacle.

WDE !!!

War Eagle, ET!

Good to see you around these parts.

He needs another great All-conference DTQB to make him look like a genius.

Hope we can find one quickly.

They'll just put him at WR.

yep

He needs another great All-conference DTQB to make him look like a genius.

Hope we can find one quickly.

They'll just put him at WR.

yep

We've got one JUCO and one hs guy coming in this recruiting class. They're going to be given the opportunity to compete for the starting job. We'll see what happens.

If Malzahn doesn't make any coaching changes on offense and defense, Auburn won't win 8 games next year. We'll be lucky to win 6 or 7.

If Malzahn doesn't make any coaching changes on offense and defense, Auburn won't win 8 games next year. We'll be lucky to win 6 or 7.

well you're consistent. Ill give you that much.

And persistent to say the least.

JMO but when the dust settles from this CWM fiasco, Gus will be the winner. He could / probably will lose a valuable coach but the way it's been handled, I can't see anyone rational person blaming Gus.....and I think the team will rally behind Gus.

And likewise....and this is just an opinion...but CWM has probably lost his defense anyway by now with the way he's gone about this....and I would expect most or all of them to set out to prove something next season.

OK...time to take off the orange and blue glasses perhaps....but I see AU coming out OK.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but who exactly is making the offensive calls now? We look distinctly different than 2013, and the changes on offense philosophically seemed to decline as last season went on, culminating with the cluster that we encountered this year. I know Gus was calling in 2013, and what we run now is not the zone read offense we ran then. Also if Bama's QB can run there is no way we don't have one that can run too.

Apparently no one...there is a random play generator that just selects from a playbook without regard to personnel on the field or ability to execute.

They use an Excel algorithm

We need David Shaw as head coach. He runs a smash mouth offense and a defense like Pat Dye use to have. A rock hard defense that you couldn't run on.

We need David Shaw as head coach. He runs a smash mouth offense and a defense like Pat Dye use to have. A rock hard defense that you couldn't run on.

We have a head coach.

But there's no good reason for him to leave Stanford.

Can we block A4E's posting privileges until the coaching decisions have been made?

Yeah the "insert coach here" instead of Gus is old......like Golf

Can we block A4E's posting privileges until the coaching decisions have been made?

Maybe we could quarantine him in the meltdown thread?

Maybe we could quarantine him in the meltdown thread?

Lol. It would be like a 200 page recruiting thread.

According to the three year Auburn cycle, 2016 should produce an SEC Championship and National Title appearance. Then '17 should be 8-5, then '18 should be .500 or sub .500. 2019 should be our next title run in the next cycle.

Archived