Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

He needs another great All-conference DTQB to make him look like a genius.

Newsflash: Coaches need great players to look great. Details at 11.

Brandon Cox could've won this game, and I'm pretty confident a healthy Sean White can be a great QB for us going by decision making alone.

True. I'm just poking at this notion that somehow only Gus is reliant on great players at key positions to look good. Lane Kiffin hasn't exactly been calling plays all these years at USC and Alabama for the likes of Rusty Williams, Clint Moseley and BoBo the Dancing Anteater at WR. Saban hasn't been making national title runs with a bunch of 3-star diamonds in the rough.

Oh , I agree with ya TT. My post was more so directed at the DTQB notion. A pocket passer is more than capable in this offense. The use of misdirection and intermediate pass routes and this offense is deadly. Here's to hoping they tailor more of that to SW's strengths next season.

Count me as one that will be surprised if John Franklin isn't the starter next year.

I'd like to see Smith get a shot to play QB as well.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon Cox could've won this game, and I'm pretty confident a healthy Sean White can be a great QB for us going by decision making alone.

True. I'm just poking at this notion that somehow only Gus is reliant on great players at key positions to look good. Lane Kiffin hasn't exactly been calling plays all these years at USC and Alabama for the likes of Rusty Williams, Clint Moseley and BoBo the Dancing Anteater at WR. Saban hasn't been making national title runs with a bunch of 3-star diamonds in the rough.

Oh , I agree with ya TT. My post was more so directed at the DTQB notion. A pocket passer is more than capable in this offense. The use of misdirection and intermediate pass routes and this offense is deadly. Here's to hoping they tailor more of that to SW's strengths next season.

Count me as one that will be surprised if John Franklin isn't the starter next year.

That ain't happening. Smith just doesn't have an SEC caliber arm. But I do think he'll make strides and be more of a regular weapon at WR next year.

Not going to name names, but the receiving group will be better next year by virtue of the senior class graduating.

I'm happy to see us recruit WRs that are actually true WRs in high school rather than all these ATH who basically played QB in high school and then putting them at WR in CFB. Some guys can make the transition but our issues has been hands and route running so maybe getting more true WRs should help with those issues.

Not going to name names, but the receiving group will be better next year by virtue of the senior class graduating.

I'm happy to see us recruit WRs that are actually true WRs in high school rather than all these ATH who basically played QB in high school and then putting them at WR in CFB. Some guys can make the transition but our issues has been hands and route running so maybe getting more true WRs should help with those issues.

Agreed. Top HS WRs have atleast shown they can catch the ball already. Qb converts have usually not.

"You don't bring a JUCO player in to ride the bench". I hear this over and over. Newsflash: You don't bring anybody in to ride the bench. You hope they all can play, but just as many JUCO guys end up on the pine as anybody else. Just look at our roster for the past two years. Flowers, Moncrief and so forth.

Barring injury, next season Sean White will have a lot of success throwing to former JUCO QB's Jason Smith and John Franklin.

Newsflash: JF III isn't going to be a WR next year.

A second-team JUCO QB is going to beat out Sean White? I'll be surprised if Franklin even gets to waste time trying out for QB.

Get ready to be surprised.

Last year about this time I was told to get ready to be surprised when Frost and McKinzy made all-SEC first team LB in 2015. I suspect that this time next year I'll be waiting for Franklin to be Auburn's 1st team QB. My surprises ain't happening! Woe is me!

"You don't bring a JUCO player in to ride the bench". I hear this over and over. Newsflash: You don't bring anybody in to ride the bench. You hope they all can play, but just as many JUCO guys end up on the pine as anybody else. Just look at our roster for the past two years. Flowers, Moncrief and so forth.

Barring injury, next season Sean White will have a lot of success throwing to former JUCO QB's Jason Smith and John Franklin.

A second-team JUCO QB is going to beat out Sean White? I'll be surprised if Franklin even gets to waste time trying out for QB.

Last year about this time I was told to get ready to be surprised when Frost and McKinzy made all-SEC first team LB in 2015.

Not from me you didn't.

I suspect that this time next year I'll be waiting for Franklin to be Auburn's 1st team QB. My surprises ain't happening! Woe is me!

Believe what you will.

Agreed. Top HS WRs have atleast shown they can catch the ball already. Qb converts have usually not.

The guy that dropped 3 or 4 tonight was a HS receiver. The guy that made the big play was a HS QB. Life's funny like that.

I sure hope he's going to compete for the QB spot or we'll be right back at were we are right now next year. We need to give Jason Smith a shot at QB too! I think Sean is likely the leader to be our QB for next year but i don't it will be enough with just him at QB. I feel like we'll need to mix in another QB like Franklin or Smith with the QB option to change the pace of the game.

Sean is ok moving around the pocket but clearly we can't run him too much due to injury so i feel if we can have Sean as our primary QB and get a change of pace QB and mix it up..that could be a good formula for next year.

Last year about this time I was told to get ready to be surprised when Frost and McKinzy made all-SEC first team LB in 2015. I suspect that this time next year I'll be waiting for Franklin to be Auburn's 1st team QB. My surprises ain't happening! Woe is me!

Maybe, but our lb play has certainly improved! Gotta be feeling better about that one for next year.

Last year about this time I was told to get ready to be surprised when Frost and McKinzy made all-SEC first team LB in 2015.

Not from me you didn't.

I suspect that this time next year I'll be waiting for Franklin to be Auburn's 1st team QB. My surprises ain't happening! Woe is me!

Believe what you will.

What I believe is that White is too good to be beaten out. Barring injury, of course.

The guy that dropped 3 or 4 tonight was a HS receiver. The guy that made the big play was a HS QB. Life's funny like that.

I didn't see 4 dropped passes, but to your point..It's definitely not a perfect science. It seems though that most top WR draft picks came into college as WRS. But that may just perception.

I was speaking in terms of the last 3-4 years regarding our WR position. Just feel like we have too many ATH at that spot. Glad it's changing.

That ain't happening. Smith just doesn't have an SEC caliber arm. But I do think he'll make strides and be more of a regular weapon at WR next year.

I wouldn't expect Jason to compete for a starting spot but we're going to need Franklin or Smith for a change of pace QB from Sean. I like Sean and think he should be our starter next year at this point and time. However, i still feel like Sean alone will not be enough to really get our offense to the level it can be. Running the zone read needs to come back for us.

What I believe is that White is too good to be beaten out. Barring injury, of course.

I like Sean. I think he's an excellent passer. But I think we're moving back to a dual-threat guy. Our recruiting efforts already tip our hand as both HS commits we have for 2016 and 2017 are DTQBs. For Sean to win the job, he's going to have to be obviously better than JF III because I don't think Gus is going to endure another year without a legit threat on the QB keeper with the zone read.

If a backup JUCO QB beats out SW for the job, next year will be Gus's last.

I like Sean. I think he's an excellent passer. But I think we're moving back to a dual-threat guy. Our recruiting efforts already tip our hand as both HS commits we have for 2016 and 2017 are DTQBs. For Sean to win the job, he's going to have to be obviously better than JF III because I don't think Gus is going to endure another year without a legit threat on the QB keeper with the zone read.

I think Majority of us like Sean, but the small sample size of this offense has shown us that a true dual threat QB takes this offense to another notch. It is what it is. People shouldn't try to fight it so much.

and if he wins with this backup JUCO QB?

The starter at EMCC was the starter last year. Last season JF III was a backup at FSU. He didn't take the job away from the starter because the starter has played really well. But make no mistake, if you think John Franklin III was signed to be a WR with a token shot at QB in the spring, you have your head in the dirt. This kid was good enough to be signed by FSU and recruited by Dameyune Craig. He's got speed and a serious arm.

And if that doesn't convince you, our 2016 and 2017 high school QB commits are both DT quarterbacks. The writing is on the wall as to what Gus thinks he needs at that position.

Just like we knew it'd be after Nick Marshall graduated with JJ poised to be the heir...two years of complete QB chaos. So we won't run out of gas for the offseason QB battles, I think it needs to be organized. So January can be why JJ should be QB, February for Sean White, March for Tyler Queen, April for Franklin, May for Barrett, June for Shon Coleman, July for Tre Williams, August for Carlton Davis. Feel free to switch the order

The starter at EMCC was the starter last year. Last season JF III was a backup at FSU. He didn't take the job away from the starter because the starter has played really well. But make no mistake, if you think John Franklin III was signed to be a WR with a token shot at QB in the spring, you have your head in the dirt. This kid was good enough to be signed by FSU and recruited by Dameyune Craig. He's got speed and a serious arm.

And if that doesn't convince you, our 2016 and 2017 high school QB commits are both DT quarterbacks. The writing is on the wall as to what Gus thinks he needs at that position.

It became painfully obvious to one and all that his offense just isn't the same without that type of player at the qb spot.

Will JJ even be in the QB hunt next year, and if not, as the song goes, will he stay or will he go?

Can't see how he would be. Heck, 2 years of "great weeks of practice" resulted in the performances we had to endure during the non-Sean part of this season, so nothing gives me any indication another year of "great practices" will result in anything different. If he does go, there will be trouble. But if he stays, there will be double.

Archived