Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

"I think our biggest problem this year is that we took an offense (specifically at receiver) that was recruited for and coached to support Nick Marshall football (run A LOT, pass when you have to), and tried to plug them into a passing attack."

Duke, Louis and Stevens, etc...weren't recruited for a "pass when you have to" offense. Neither are the WR's on our radar and verbally committed right now. You have to be able to hit them (and not the DB's) at a better clip than 45-50% with upside down TD/Int ratio to expect success.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think our biggest problem this year is that we took an offense (specifically at receiver) that was recruited for and coached to support Nick Marshall football (run A LOT, pass when you have to), and tried to plug them into a passing attack."

Duke, Louis and Stevens, etc...weren't recruited for a "pass when you have to" offense. Neither are the WR's on our radar and verbally committed right now. You have to be able to hit them (and not the DB's) at a better clip than 45-50% with upside down TD/Int ratio to expect success.

The WR also have to catch the ball. And...not just the ones that hit them square in the numbers, in which, I can't even count how many perfect passes were dropped. Sometimes the WRs have to work for their QB too and make the tough ones too. We haven't had a true WR here in quite some time. You can say Duke somewhat was, but even he dropped way too many that hit him in the hands for a run first team to be successful. Those passes need to be executed at a high level regardless of the percentage on the play working. That is what makes this offense deadly, but it requires a tight window for error and frankly our WRs just haven't been focused enough to be successful.

Our coaching staff felt they had a Heisman Trophy candidate at QB. But a funny thing happened on the way to the award ceremony in New York. The coaches found out JJ was a good high school QB, not a good college QB. I'm serious, with all the problems this team had this year, it's amazing they are even bowl eligible.

The WR also have to catch the ball. And...not just the ones that hit them square in the numbers, in which, I can't even count how many perfect passes were dropped. Sometimes the WRs have to work for their QB too and make the tough ones too. We haven't had a true WR here in quite some time. You can say Duke somewhat was, but even he dropped way too many that hit him in the hands for a run first team to be successful. Those passes need to be executed at a high level regardless of the percentage on the play working. That is what makes this offense deadly, but it requires a tight window for error and frankly our WRs just haven't been focused enough to be successful.

All that is true but so is they didn't recruit Stevens, duke, etc just for pass when you have to.

Lol, our senior-laden wide receiver corp were recruited for a Nick Marshall ran offense years before Nick Marshall touched the plains... sure

Lol, our senior-laden wide receiver corp were recruited for a Nick Marshall ran offense years before Nick Marshall touched the plains... sure

I guess I should have been more clear. It's not that we were looking for average receivers, but we've been running a run-first offense since 2010 (or at least trying to in 2011/2012), and while we did try to recruit better receivers, the only top receiver we landed was Duke (who turned out to be a head case) because, generally speaking, top receivers want to play for a team that is going to showcase their talents. After all, the goal of top talent is to get to the NFL, and like I said, you don't get there showing of your downfield blocking skills.

We recruited 6 total pure wide receivers since 2010. 3 of those were fairly highly ranked, though Duke was highest by far. One transferred to Texas A&M and then transferred again and played against us with Louisville this year (he only had 1 reception). One, as you already know, got kicked off the team. Stevens is the only one left. Hopefully he will come into his own, but he's only shown glimpses of being a real play maker. All of our other receivers were "athletes" in the recruiting process.

There could certainly also be the argument that we could coach guys up better and Craig is not a good receivers coach, considering his experience is both playing and coaching QB. It was a bit of a head scratcher when Gus gave him that role, but he wanted him on staff for his recruiting ability and that was the open spot. I can't say that I think Lashlee would be any better coaching receivers.

The one thing you are correct about is that the receivers who are currently committed and on our radar are top guys... That is because we've been actively trying to switch to a more balanced attack, and showed this year, at least in a few games, that we will rely on the pass more. We've also shown them we want to run an attack like that by recruiting QBs who are known for their passing ability.

I guess I should have been more clear. It's not that we were looking for average receivers, but we've been running a run-first offense since 2010 (or at least trying to in 2011/2012), and while we did try to recruit better receivers, the only top receiver we landed was Duke (who turned out to be a head case) because, generally speaking, top receivers want to play for a team that is going to showcase their talents. After all, the goal of top talent is to get to the NFL, and like I said, you don't get there showing of your downfield blocking skills.

We recruited 6 total pure wide receivers since 2010. 3 of those were fairly highly ranked, though Duke was highest by far. One transferred to Texas A&M and then transferred again and played against us with Louisville this year (he only had 1 reception). One, as you already know, got kicked off the team. Stevens is the only one left. Hopefully he will come into his own, but he's only shown glimpses of being a real play maker. All of our other receivers were "athletes" in the recruiting process.

There could certainly also be the argument that we could coach guys up better and Craig is not a good receivers coach, considering his experience is both playing and coaching QB. It was a bit of a head scratcher when Gus gave him that role, but he wanted him on staff for his recruiting ability and that was the open spot. I can't say that I think Lashlee would be any better coaching receivers.

The one thing you are correct about is that the receivers who are currently committed and on our radar are top guys... That is because we've been actively trying to switch to a more balanced attack, and showed this year, at least in a few games, that we will rely on the pass more. We've also shown them we want to run an attack like that by recruiting QBs who are known for their passing ability.

Our QB commitments for 16 and 17 are DT guys

Yes, but we are still going after pro style QBs. See e.g. Jake Bentley.

You have to choose one or the other. You can't switch back and forth. I personally prefer the DT guy but if he wants to go more traditional that's fine but whatever you do stick with it.

You have to choose one or the other. You can't switch back and forth. I personally prefer the DT guy but if he wants to go more traditional that's fine but whatever you do stick with it.

In general I would agree. For example, Les Miles would be wise to go with your approach as he has no clue how to build an offense around a DT QB. However, I believe that Malzahn has the creativity and ability to use either style. Granted, this year it fell apart on him, but would we have been any better off with Jason Smith? Who knows...maybe. The biggest thing that concerns me about only going with DT guys, is that they typically have less accuracy (e.g. Nick Marshall), and your WR recruits typically aren't elite. Also, with a guy with less accuracy you play right into Bama's wheelhouse.

I think it would be best for Gus to work toward building a more balanced offense. If we can get that established, then adding a dual-threat is more of an advantage and less of a band-aid. Not only that, but if the rest of the offensive talent is balanced, we would still be able to be successful with a pocket passer, when that is the best option available.

Gus/CRL actually did a decent job with what they had imo

JJ probably practices great. When there's no pressure on him, he can probably show case his arm and possibly has decent decision making. Which would also account for why he had no problem with Arky in 2014.

Once he actually got out there in 2015, he cracked. Sean was a decent replacement but dealt with oline/WR issues (as did JJ) early on, in addition to the fact he is still a freshman.

After his injury, the coaches were still able to take what they had in JJ and win a few games with him and be competitive with everyone.

That being said, I'm sure Gus can mold an extremely potent offense around a pocket passer like Sean too.

Gus loves having a strong and dominant oline whether or not he has a DTQB or a pocket passer. He also has attempted to haul in top target WR's and has gotten some, with DTQB in the same classes.

So why not have both DTQB and pocket passers on the roster if they are all the best available in the class?

Just because the backup is a different style doesn't mean it will hurt our offense. If they backup has to come in, the play calling and style of the offense switch to that persons strengths. Also makes it harder for oppenets to plan for us in the off season

I think Gus had plans on going more balanced until the JJ collapse.

CGMs bread and butter running plays are Power, Counter Trey, and Buck Sweep--not the Zone Read. To Malzahn, Zone Reads complement power plays. Malzahn adapted to an option first and option heavy running game in 2013 with Nick Marshall.

There is no doubt the plan in 2015 with JJ was to leverage the power running plays, but to include some option running--probably the Outsize Zone Read/Inverted Veer plays which made Cam Newton famous. I think in CGM's mind, Roc Thomas as RB with JJ at QB would give us the combination to make the OZR/IV play work.

JJ also found some success with the traditional Inside Zone Read, and the QB draw, so JJ as a respectable running threat could have worked. The problem was, JJ collapsed, and Roc Thomas spent most of the season fighting injuries. Peyton Barber became the go-to back, but he is an inside rusher, and inside rusher RBs are better suited to the IZR than the OZR, and the IZR works best with a QB who can pressure the edge. Add to that, Sean White is less of a rushing threat than JJ, and the option running game was severely disadvantaged. We tried some IZR plays with White, but after he was injured, we avoided those plays.

Simply running Power, Counter Trey, and Buck Sweep on first and second downs, and forcing Sean White to throw it on 3rd down was too predictable, and our Offensive Line play was simply not strong enough to make that work.

The answer is not that only a Dual Threat QB can work. If a QB is an effective passer, and the offense has an effective passing game, the answer can be a QB who can be enough of a running threat to put enough pressure on the defense so they have to be prepared for, and respect the ZR plays, to be effective. If he can be, it benefits the power running plays and the play action passing game. I would say this it takes about 8-10 QB carries per game for a QB to be a viable threat. Combine those Zone Read plays with blocked designed handoff plays (to prevent the Defense from forcing the QB keep and making the QB pay for his carries) and it puts some pressure on the defense. Also, Malzahn (along with Hugh Freeze), use a lot of packaged plays where there is a pre-snap read for a bubble screen. A confident throwing QB is more likely to take the pass when he knows it can get the desired yardage.

Chris Brown at Grantland and Smart Football has written on the effect even a minimal running QB theat has on the defense, and the power of packaged plays with pre-snap and post-snap reads. JJ was able to execute this type of offense against weak competition, but never against strong competition. JJ's weakness was not his inabilty to run, it was his inaccuracy as a passer, combined with poor WR play, which made our passing game a problem.

JJ probably practices great. When there's no pressure on him, he can probably show case his arm and possibly has decent decision making.

True, and more true today than 20 years ago. QBs are never live in practice, so they know they are not going to get hit or sacked in practice, nor tackled when they run a zone read or a QB draw.

In general I would agree. For example, Les Miles would be wise to go with your approach as he has no clue how to build an offense around a DT QB. However, I believe that Malzahn has the creativity and ability to use either style. Granted, this year it fell apart on him, but would we have been any better off with Jason Smith? Who knows...maybe. The biggest thing that concerns me about only going with DT guys, is that they typically have less accuracy (e.g. Nick Marshall), and your WR recruits typically aren't elite. Also, with a guy with less accuracy you play right into Bama's wheelhouse.

Gus's offense is the kind of thing that is the hardest for Nick Saban to go against. I'd say that 95% of his losses have come against such teams.

So why not have both DTQB and pocket passers on the roster if they are all the best available in the class?

Just because the backup is a different style doesn't mean it will hurt our offense. If they backup has to come in, the play calling and style of the offense switch to that persons strengths. Also makes it harder for oppenets to plan for us in the off season

The real issue here is the amount of offense you have to teach the rest of the team as well as practice time. If the packages are significantly different for each QB, it's going to take away from time spent on each package. The real answer is that you need all of your QBs to be a passing threat. If that is the case, then one that runs can run the same package as one that doesn't, and just gets to add in some plays.

Dual threat means, or it is supposed to, that the player is good at both. A lot of times a guy that can run is classified as DT even though he's not necessarily good as a passer.

Yea, it's supposed to mean that, but a lot of "dual threat" guys are marginal passers. They are too quick to use their feet.

Simply running Power, Counter Trey, and Buck Sweep on first and second downs, and forcing Sean White to throw it on 3rd down was too predictable, and our Offensive Line play was simply not strong enough to make that work.

Chris Brown at Grantland and Smart Football has written on the effect even a minimal running QB theat has on the defense, and the power of packaged plays with pre-snap and post-snap reads. JJ was able to execute this type of offense against weak competition, but never against strong competition. JJ's weakness was not his inabilty to run, it was his inaccuracy as a passer, combined with poor WR play, which made our passing game a problem.

I thought Sean White could function as a minimal running threat, at least before he had to wear the brace. That said, I also thought the answer for him was quick short-intermediate passes. Inconsistent WR play negated the ability to do that. When it becomes obvious that we are no serious threat to throw the football, the rushing attack becomes easier to key on and stop.

You are indeed correct in that the answer is not that only a dual-threat QB can work. People were so mesmerized by 2013 that they forget Nick Marshall's don't grow on trees. It wasn't just his running ability that made him great. It was his awareness of pressure and the field, good decision-making on when to make that last second throw and when to just keep running, and his natural ability to just make things happen when nothing was really there. I mean, the man completed a pass to himself that would have ended up being a long TD run if he hadn't stepped out of bounds. You can't coach, recruit, or expect a guy to have that. Nick Marshall had a lot of the things that make Cam Newton great, but Cam has them in a more formidable body (and he throws better).

As has always been the case, you can't be one-dimensional AND consistently successful. You can get away with it when you have combinations of great athletes like Marshall and Mason, great OL play, and great blocking in general. That cannot be sustained, as it is always an injury or two away from grinding to a halt, and it relies on having Nick Marshall's and Tre Mason's lying around. CAP was a good RB, but he wasn't Mason. That ultimately resulted in more passes called in 2014 against teams that they couldn't just run all over, where Sammie Coates and Duke Williams came in handy. More balance is key to sustaining success with this offense, whether it is led by dual-threat QB or not. A dual-threat helps, but it does not make or break it.

I think Gus had plans on going more balanced until the JJ collapse.

CGMs bread and butter running plays are Power, Counter Trey, and Buck Sweep--not the Zone Read. To Malzahn, Zone Reads complement power plays. Malzahn adapted to an option first and option heavy running game in 2013 with Nick Marshall.

There is no doubt the plan in 2015 with JJ was to leverage the power running plays, but to include some option running--probably the Outsize Zone Read/Inverted Veer plays which made Cam Newton famous. I think in CGM's mind, Roc Thomas as RB with JJ at QB would give us the combination to make the OZR/IV play work.

JJ also found some success with the traditional Inside Zone Read, and the QB draw, so JJ as a respectable running threat could have worked. The problem was, JJ collapsed, and Roc Thomas spent most of the season fighting injuries. Peyton Barber became the go-to back, but he is an inside rusher, and inside rusher RBs are better suited to the IZR than the OZR, and the IZR works best with a QB who can pressure the edge. Add to that, Sean White is less of a rushing threat than JJ, and the option running game was severely disadvantaged. We tried some IZR plays with White, but after he was injured, we avoided those plays.

The answer is not that only a Dual Threat QB can work. If a QB is an effective passer, and the offense has an effective passing game, the answer can be a QB who can be enough of a running threat to put enough pressure on the defense so they have to be prepared for, and respect the ZR plays, to be effective. If he can be, it benefits the power running plays and the play action passing game. I would say this it takes about 8-10 QB carries per game for a QB to be a viable threat. Combine those Zone Read plays with blocked designed handoff plays (to prevent the Defense from forcing the QB keep and making the QB pay for his carries) and it puts some pressure on the defense. Also, Malzahn (along with Hugh Freeze), use a lot of packaged plays where there is a pre-snap read for a bubble screen. A confident throwing QB is more likely to take the pass when he knows it can get the desired yardage.

Well stated sir.

I think it is a matter of coach vs. coordinator. It has become apparent that Gus is a coordinator, not a head coach. The teams poor play this year is a result of lackluster coaching. "oh well he didn't have the right players for his system." It his his job to recruit players for his system and develop players to be good fits in his system. Justify it however you want, it all comes back to coaching. Especially with consecutive top ten recruiting classes. For the second year in a row, Gus has coached a vastly talented team to an absurdly underachieving season.

I think it is a matter of coach vs. coordinator. It has become apparent that Gus is a coordinator, not a head coach. The teams poor play this year is a result of lackluster coaching. "oh well he didn't have the right players for his system." It his his job to recruit players for his system and develop players to be good fits in his system. Justify it however you want, it all comes back to coaching. Especially with consecutive top ten recruiting classes. For the second year in a row, Gus has coached a vastly talented team to an absurdly underachieving season.

Nonsense.

Archived