Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus just didn't count on JJ becoming a headcase. No trend ever materialized and he didn't know what to ride. When we get Franklin and Woody in next season I believe this offense will be productive again.

So you don't think the O can be productive with Sean?

I would love to say yes, because I think Sean is a great quarterback, but I really think we need a definite running threat at QB to keep defenses honest.

Even moreso than a running threat, someone who the staff will actually trust to take full command of the offense and completely read progressions as well as go for the longer routes on non-designed playcalls. No knock on Sean, but if you look at his stat-line, he really wasn't that much better than JJ. He had a slightly lower less completion rating, (Though that was due to late pumping of screen completions with JJ to his slots). Really one of the main things that he did to differentiate himself is that he made more plays with his legs during breakdowns, possibly at the advice of the coaching staff. JJ sort of lived by the pass and died by the pass, and it showed in TDs and INTs. Compared to SW's 1TD 2INTs, 9TDs, 7INTs are really tip for tap ratio wise.

A lot of the post JJ, SW hype was generated by the fans because of what they weren't seeing as opposed to what they were seeing. (INTs). And even then you can say that was artificially generated because of coaching decisions on where to move the ball, and how much PB was relied on during the stretch with SW. You could tell the lack of confidence in both to win with their arms, though, they would have to let them pass a little so defenses wouldn't settle down on the run.

INB4, I know a lot of people will reference the Arkansas game that was wrought with drops, but both QBs contended with that sort of game. And really that wouldn't have been enough drops to tank SW's com ratio as much as it did in comparison to JJ's. Especially when looking at the total passes thrown.

Well, it got lost in the 'uh oh', but I think this is the most important point.

I think the coaches were getting to that point with Sean, but then he got hurt. Now, it seems like they've gone for the 'must have a dual threat' argument, and I'm not sure why.

Obviously, a true dual threat QB -- one who can hurt you both with his arm and his legs -- would be ideal. But I'm not sure why anyone is convinced that we can't win with Sean.

Gus just didn't count on JJ becoming a headcase. No trend ever materialized and he didn't know what to ride. When we get Franklin and Woody in next season I believe this offense will be productive again.

So you don't think the O can be productive with Sean?

I would love to say yes, because I think Sean is a great quarterback, but I really think we need a definite running threat at QB to keep defenses honest.

What I don't understand is that when GM implemented his style of offense at AU he said it works well with qbs who don't have great mobility. How's that been working ? Need more strong dual threat players of higher caliber.

It can work if you have a,quarterback who doesn't get stage fright and make accurate throws. . Receivers who can catch are also necessary. It does work better with the dual threat guy.

Several have said Malzahn is getting good advice from some people. Can anyone share what that advice looks like?

On the dual threat issue, part of the problem is lining up with a RB to one side of the QB. Makes most RB runs necessarily one-sided. (That's why the pistol was invented.) Thus, the WR motion and the read option. Some spread teams (I know, I know: we don't like that term) handle that by having a QB like Marshall. Others have a QB like Dak. (Think Ohio State too.) And you can go dual RBs if you're willing to sacrifice a play side blocker. Finally, you can always use formations to balance the defense.

The last option is the one Malzahn used at Tulsa and with Trotter: a QB who runs just a few times a game but is ready to hurt you when he does. Baylor fits that handle. That last group throws the ball a lot, and they do it very well. If Auburn can do that, we don't need a Nick Marshall to run the offense. But note what happened to Baylor this year. Two QBs went down. Same for Ohio State last year. I'm not sold on the absolute necessity of a dual threat QB, but the QB has to threaten something.

Didn't intend to start up the whole JJ vs SW stuff again.I was just asking about why we couldn't be effective with SW.If we can not be effective with SW why in the hell did Gus recruit him and not dual threat qb instead?

So if you are Gus you tell the recruit's mother that you expected Muschamp would be jumping ship?

When is lying ever the right aoproach ?

Lol welcome to coaching 101

Recruiting in the high pressure world of big time college football certainly has it's share of mis-truths. You think Gus would sabotage his chances of landing a kid? Everyone knows saying "eh we only have Muschamp for this year" would pretty much ensure we wouldn't be getting the kid's signature. Saying anything other than he was surprised Muschamp left would mean everything they had said to the parents about taking care of their kid for the next 4-5 years and how his opportunity to grow within the system as a football player and as a man would be watched over for his entire college experience was deliberate BS to the parent's face.

So if you are Gus you tell the recruit's mother that you expected Muschamp would be jumping ship?

When is lying ever the right aoproach ?

It's all about the rationalization. He didn't know, until a certain point. Plus, who knows exactly what was said between the two? All we get are snippets, why crucify over assumptions based on limited info.?

There is no "long haul" in college football these days....schools fire coaches after a couple years and smart coaches often leave as soon as a better opportunity presents itself.

Vocal fans with unreasonable expectations have created this siituation by demanding instant results ....and having no patience or tolerance for what they define as failure.

My observation of "wanna be" schools is that no job is safe.

I wonder how may of the folks claiming we can't win without a DT QB are the same ones who wanted JJ to start over NM in 2014?

The problem with most DT QBs is they often have breakdowns in the passing game. They force balls, they make mistakes, they are inaccurate. The Cam Newtons are rare. The Tim Tebows and RGIIIs don't make it at the next level, then everyone says it was obvious because they really weren't great passers all along.

If our O-Line could pass block, and if JJ was confident and accurate, we never would be having this discussion. We would be lamenting the fact our defense had not yet improved enough.

I still believe 90% of our 2015 Offensive problems are fixable. Remember how people talked about our defensive problems in 2014? "Off field issues" were mentioned. Jermaine Whitehead was germaine to the defensive problems. In 2015, it appears we fixed our 2014 defensive problems. In 2015, the starting QB's roommate was a cancer. Our entire passing game had problems.

Part of the reason Saban does well, and rarely has the player attitude meltdowns which seem to have plagued AU over the last several years is he recruits from a whole-person mindset. He considers the mental and attitudinal aspects of prospects, not just the physical, and not just the number of stars. Yes, he recruits some prima donnas. But he coaches them not just on the physical attributes, but has sports psychologists on staff to help both the players adapt to Saban's strict program, but also to help the coaches positively motivate the players.

Our problems are fixable. Keep the schemes and systems on defense. Hold onto the recruits. Improve pass protection blocking. Improve WR catching. Make Sean White the starter from this point on. We were 108th in passing YPG. We need 100 yards more per game out of the passing game, and 7 more points per game scoring. Do that, and the rushing game will improve as well. We were 78th in scoring offense at 27.2 PPG.

We were 92nd in rushing defense (YPG allowed) 76th in passing defense, 91st in overall defense, and 69th in scoring defense (27.3 PPG).

If we get the offense to 34 PPG or higher, and the defense down to 21 PPG or lower, we will be in good shape. The former requires fixing the passing game. The latter requires continued progress on defense. We have to recruit better DTs and LBs to improve our rushing defense. It will take time. But even if we were able to get down to 24 PPG on defense next year we would be doing well.

This year was a perfect storm. A complete collapse of our offensive passing game, combined with slight improvement of our passing defense, but no significant improvement of our rushing defense, at a time when we had to face two Heisman class RBs and one Heisman class DT QB. Despite this, after losing to LSU by 24, we lost by 8, 8 (OT), 8, 7, and 16. Both double digit losses were to two of the best RBs ever to play in the SEC.

Yes, some of our wins were embarrassing. But that is why I believe this was a perfect storm. And quite fixable.

Several have said Malzahn is getting good advice from some people. Can anyone share what that advice looks like?

On the dual threat issue, part of the problem is lining up with a RB to one side of the QB. Makes most RB runs necessarily one-sided. (That's why the pistol was invented.)

This could be factoring into our tendencies, but I disagree. With the exception of a small handful of pistol formation teams, zone read teams telegraph the play direction beforehand by offsetting the RB. The problem with the pistol is the inside zone read takes more time to develop. For any zone read play, the RB must cross in front of the QB. This is harder to do with the RB directly behind the QB. The RB has to take a hard step away from the play direction, then cut hard towards the play direction. At the same time, the QB has to take a hard backwards step in the play direction. So the mesh occurs about a half a second later out of a pistol.

I think if your concern was a major issue, we would see more pistol inside zone read plays in CFB. What I see are an awful lot of offset tailbacks, and an increasing number of H-Backs being used.

That said, I love the idea of the pistol, and would like to see more of it at every level of football. It would open up Malzahn's power plays--Buck Sweep, Power, and Counter Trey--to being run in either direction, as well as the zone read.

I wonder how may of the folks claiming we can't win without a DT QB are the same ones who wanted JJ to start over NM in 2014?

The problem with most DT QBs is they often have breakdowns in the passing game. They force balls, they make mistakes, they are inaccurate. The Cam Newtons are rare. The Tim Tebows and RGIIIs don't make it at the next level, then everyone says it was obvious because they really weren't great passers all along.

If our O-Line could pass block, and if JJ was confident and accurate, we never would be having this discussion. We would be lamenting the fact our defense had not yet improved enough.

I still believe 90% of our 2015 Offensive problems are fixable. Remember how people talked about our defensive problems in 2014? "Off field issues" were mentioned. Jermaine Whitehead was germaine to the defensive problems. In 2015, it appears we fixed our 2014 defensive problems. In 2015, the starting QB's roommate was a cancer. Our entire passing game had problems.

Part of the reason Saban does well, and rarely has the player attitude meltdowns which seem to have plagued AU over the last several years is he recruits from a whole-person mindset. He considers the mental and attitudinal aspects of prospects, not just the physical, and not just the number of stars. Yes, he recruits some prima donnas. But he coaches them not just on the physical attributes, but has sports psychologists on staff to help both the players adapt to Saban's strict program, but also to help the coaches positively motivate the players.

Our problems are fixable. Keep the schemes and systems on defense. Hold onto the recruits. Improve pass protection blocking. Improve WR catching. Make Sean White the starter from this point on. We were 108th in passing YPG. We need 100 yards more per game out of the passing game, and 7 more points per game scoring. Do that, and the rushing game will improve as well. We were 78th in scoring offense at 27.2 PPG.

We were 92nd in rushing defense (YPG allowed) 76th in passing defense, 91st in overall defense, and 69th in scoring defense (27.3 PPG).

If we get the offense to 34 PPG or higher, and the defense down to 21 PPG or lower, we will be in good shape. The former requires fixing the passing game. The latter requires continued progress on defense. We have to recruit better DTs and LBs to improve our rushing defense. It will take time. But even if we were able to get down to 24 PPG on defense next year we would be doing well.

This year was a perfect storm. A complete collapse of our offensive passing game, combined with slight improvement of our passing defense, but no significant improvement of our rushing defense, at a time when we had to face two Heisman class RBs and one Heisman class DT QB. Despite this, after losing to LSU by 24, we lost by 8, 8 (OT), 8, 7, and 16. Both double digit losses were to two of the best RBs ever to play in the SEC.

Yes, some of our wins were embarrassing. But that is why I believe this was a perfect storm. And quite fixable.

I agree with a lot of what you say and I have said that I don't believe the dtqb is the quick fix many think it will be, and Cams and NM's are rare to come by. If we find one who is all that, then great let's take full advantage of it.

Hopefully Gus is getting some good advice and will make some solid moves in the off season.

I think it's also good to point out that Alabama is also losing their DC. I wonder if Smart was involved in recruiting and assuming so, wonder what they told their recruits?

Think about it...

Exactly! I've thought that myself. But we tend to overlook it because most assume Nick has/has had a greater hand in running the defense for Alabama. We will get to see what contributions Smart made to Alabama's run of championships beginning next year. Each group of new recruits brings its own chemistry mix to the "already mix", so it's not apples to apples. With Coach Malzahn being offensive-minded, our lack on defense concerns us more. I don't personally like that we are in the hunt at the same time... :-p

I think it's also good to point out that Alabama is also losing their DC. I wonder if Smart was involved in recruiting and assuming so, wonder what they told their recruits?

Think about it...

Exactly! I've thought that myself. But we tend to overlook it because most assume Nick has/has had a greater hand in running the defense for Alabama. We will get to see what contributions Smart made to Alabama's run of championships beginning next year. Each group of new recruits brings its own chemistry mix to the "already mix", so it's not apples to apples. With Coach Malzahn being offensive-minded, our lack on defense concerns us more. I don't personally like that we are in the hunt at the same time... :-p

There's good and bad aspects to both jobs. At Alabama you are running Nicks defense He's not the easiest man to work for. It is stable and you'll be coaching some of the best athletes in the country. We know Auburn's situation. It depends on the individual.

• 1 month later...

So what does it take for Malzahn to stay after next season? I don't think 8-5 will cut it unless he beats the turds. 9-4? 10-3?

For that matter, why isn't Jay Jacobs on the hot seat?

Jay Jacobs isn't on the hot seat because he is an Auburn Alum. I don't see the powers that be firing an Auburn Alumnus. Even if he should.

I was talking to my brother a couple of weeks ago and we sort of agreed on this: Despite all the distractions and malfunctions on offense and defense and the turds getting the hot hand, AU didn't totally impersonate the Titanic. Auburn could have beaten State, Arkansas, Ole Miss,Georgia AND the turds. Entering the 16 season, hopefully, our only luck won't be bad luck. :wareagle:

I think with the addition to Coach Hand, we will see a revitalized and potent offense that most of us thought would happen for 2015. I know I might get my hand bitten off a bit, but I think we will see a DT/QB for 2016. Even if JJ or SW wins the QB job, I think CHH will add a new dimension that wil

So what does it take for Malzahn to stay after next season? I don't think 8-5 will cut it unless he beats the turds. 9-4? 10-3?

Jay Jacobs isn't on the hot seat because he is an Auburn Alum. I don't see the powers that be firing an Auburn Alumnus. Even if he should.

l help those 2 to be able to succeed where they failed in 2015.

Anyhow, I hope whoever is our QB will have a breakout season and give our offense the spark needed to win often.

I think with the addition to Coach Hand, we will see a revitalized and potent offense that most of us thought would happen for 2015. I know I might get my hand bitten off a bit, but I think we will see a DT/QB for 2016. Even if JJ or SW wins the QB job, I think CHH will add a new dimension that wil

Anyhow, I hope whoever is our QB will have a breakout season and give our offense the spark needed to win often.

Thought the hand thing had died.

Thankfully, we have a Doctor in the house,

that can graft it anywhere.

Love me some free verse.

Love me some free verse.

I'd go as far as alliteration.

Couldn't manage haiku rhythm.

Some people seem to put a lot of stock in one of the incoming dual threat QBs (JF3 or Woody) becoming the starter for 2016. I'm of the opinion that Sean or JJ both have a decided advantage since they have been in the offense for awhile and that one of them will most likely be the starter against Clemson. I also think that the addition of Herb Hand will add some new dynamics to the offense and our play calling won't be quite so predictable. That said, with our closed practices and the vanilla A-Day game, we'll probably just to have to wait for the season to start to have even a reasonable idea of what the 2016 AU offense will look like.

I think Gus has forgot the old saying. "What have you done for me lately?" In my opinion, if Gus doesn't win10 games and the west, his seat won't hot, it will be on fire.

I think Gus has forgot the old saying. "What have you done for me lately?" In my opinion, if Gus doesn't win10 games and the west, his seat won't hot, it will be on fire.

Speaking of fire

I disagree. Gus needs at least 2 more full seasons to prove he can hack it in this conference. He's either got what it takes or he doesn't. I think we will know for sure at the end of the 2017 season.

Archived