Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

This DC hire is so huge for CGM. It not only is going to determine whether our D will be in good hands for at least the next 2-3 yrs, but in a larger sense will be a litmus test for Gus's ability to run with the big dogs of major college football. I'll admit, some of his decisions and behavior this season have given me pause to wonder whether a major conference, highly competitive, year in year out grind of a head coaching job is within his executive abilities. If it ends up that he doesn't have a firm handle on this hire, it will go a long way toward his unravelling imo.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict 2016= 2012 part II

I predict when it doesn't happen you'll come up with an excuse and predict it for the next year...

No, I'll be happy as hell and cheer for Auburn like I have for about 50 years now. I'll also continue to support them financially like I have for the past 30 years or so. When you want to get you head out of your ass and acknowledge reality let me know.

First of all Gus was hired at the recommendation of a committee , right? I believe Bo and Pat were a part of that committee that chose Gus, so don't blame JJ. What I cant believe is a recruit's mother (name escapes me) said Malzahn told her he was BLINDSIDED by Muschamp's decision? What? I think everyone on this board knew this was coming, if Gus didn't see this coming he definitely does not need to be in charge of a FBS football program.

First of all Gus was hired at the recommendation of a committee , right? I believe Bo and Pat were a part of that committee that chose Gus, so don't blame JJ. What I cant believe is a recruit's mother (name escapes me) said Malzahn told her he was BLINDSIDED by Muschamp's decision? What? I think everyone on this board knew this was coming, if Gus didn't see this coming he definitely does not need to be in charge of a FBS football program.

Gus just didn't count on JJ becoming a headcase. No trend ever materialized and he didn't know what to ride. When we get Franklin and Woody in next season I believe this offense will be productive again.

So you don't think the O can be productive with Sean?

I would love to say yes, because I think Sean is a great quarterback, but I really think we need a definite running threat at QB to keep defenses honest.

Gus just didn't count on JJ becoming a headcase. No trend ever materialized and he didn't know what to ride. When we get Franklin and Woody in next season I believe this offense will be productive again.

I would love to say yes, because I think Sean is a great quarterback, but I really think we need a definite running threat at QB to keep defenses honest.

What I don't understand is that when GM implemented his style of offense at AU he said it works well with qbs who don't have great mobility. How's that been working ? Need more strong dual threat players of higher caliber.

Even moreso than a running threat, someone who the staff will actually trust to take full command of the offense and completely read progressions as well as go for the longer routes on non-designed playcalls. No knock on Sean, but if you look at his stat-line, he really wasn't that much better than JJ. He had a slightly lower less completion rating, (Though that was due to late pumping of screen completions with JJ to his slots). Really one of the main things that he did to differentiate himself is that he made more plays with his legs during breakdowns, possibly at the advice of the coaching staff. JJ sort of lived by the pass and died by the pass, and it showed in TDs and INTs. Compared to SW's 1TD 2INTs, 9TDs, 7INTs are really tip for tap ratio wise.

A lot of the post JJ, SW hype was generated by the fans because of what they weren't seeing as opposed to what they were seeing. (INTs). And even then you can say that was artificially generated because of coaching decisions on where to move the ball, and how much PB was relied on during the stretch with SW. You could tell the lack of confidence in both to win with their arms, though, they would have to let them pass a little so defenses wouldn't settle down on the run.

INB4, I know a lot of people will reference the Arkansas game that was wrought with drops, but both QBs contended with that sort of game. And really that wouldn't have been enough drops to tank SW's com ratio as much as it did in comparison to JJ's. Especially when looking at the total passes thrown.

Even moreso than a running threat, someone who the staff will actually trust to take full command of the offense and completely read progressions as well as go for the longer routes on non-designed playcalls. No knock on Sean, but if you look at his stat-line, he really wasn't that much better than JJ. He had a slightly lower less completion rating, (Though that was due to late pumping of screen completions with JJ to his slots). Really one of the main things that he did to differentiate himself is that he made more plays with his legs during breakdowns, possibly at the advice of the coaching staff. JJ sort of lived by the pass and died by the pass, and it showed in TDs and INTs. Compared to SW's 1TD 2INTs, 9TDs, 7INTs are really tip for tap ratio wise.

A lot of the post JJ, SW hype was generated by the fans because of what they weren't seeing as opposed to what they were seeing. (INTs). And even then you can say that was artificially generated because of coaching decisions on where to move the ball, and how much PB was relied on during the stretch with SW. You could tell the lack of confidence in both to win with their arms, though, they would have to let them pass a little so defenses wouldn't settle down on the run.

INB4, I know a lot of people will reference the Arkansas game that was wrought with drops, but both QBs contended with that sort of game. And really that wouldn't have been enough drops to tank SW's com ratio as much as it did in comparison to JJ's. Especially when looking at the total passes thrown.

Uh oh

Uh oh

Yes I figure it's somewhat taboo to insult what a lot of Auburn fans regard as this season's saivor. Trust me, I heard a lot of it from the guys and gals on the track team when we would watch games and I would explain the same thing too. Still, take away the 10 drops in Arkansas, and you only see SW's completion percentage improve by 5% which is 62% in comparison to 60%. Then when you look at the TDs, JJ's odds still are better. And while a lot of people will say, that if those passes are caught, that they can turn into TDs, those are still big IFs. Using that line of thinking, IF 3 of JJ's picks aren't picks, then he isn't benched, or he throws 3 more TDs instead. (Because a lot of his picks came downfield on deep all or nothing Post routes.)

Yeah but I don't think you know just how real taking that stance can be....

If you're referencing the faction of diehard SW supporters, then yeah I'm fairly certain I know what goes along with that lol.

If you're referencing the faction of diehard SW supporters, then yeah I'm fairly certain I know what goes along with that lol.

What do y'all mean? I hope Franklin is able to be ready to make noise myself.

A healthy SW far surpasses JJ IMO. We've had redzone and scoring insided the 25 yard line since late last year. I love SW's accurancy and decision making. I wish he was the answer for us but like some others i do think we need a QB with more mobility but i wouldn't have any issues if SW was our starting QB next year. If he is my biggest question has been can Gus get his head out of his azz and come up with game plans that is geared towards SW's strenghts to make the team a winner.

A healthy SW far surpasses JJ IMO. We've had redzone and scoring insided the 25 yard line since late last year. I love SW's accurancy and decision making. I wish he was the answer for us but like some others i do think we need a QB with more mobility but i wouldn't have any issues if SW was our starting QB next year. If he is my biggest question has been can Gus get his head out of his azz and come up with game plans that is geared towards SW's strenghts to make the team a winner.

Now I'm super confused. How do you not think system matter with production of a bad qb, but a good qb Gus need to change his game plan? Wouldn't a bad qb need all the help he could get and a good qb could make any offense work? And I'm also confused with your Kentucky comment now as well being Kentucky was SW best game

What do y'all mean? I hope Franklin is able to be ready to make noise myself.

Lol. If franklin looks better than sw it will all be good, most AU fans just want to win. "How real taking that stance can be", lol. Oh, the drama.

Now I'm super confused. How do you not think system matter with production of a bad qb, but a good qb Gus need to change his game plan? Wouldn't a bad qb need all the help he could get and a good qb could make any offense work? And I'm also confused with your Kentucky comment now as well being Kentucky was SW best game

Becuase i don't believe KF would've succeeded in any system at AU or in the SEC so it wouldn't matter if we did change it to fit KF in my eyes. Find if you feel differently. I didn't mention SW and Kentucky in the same statement i stated that i thought KF; KU and Vandy would probably be the only schools in the SEC KF would likely have a shot at actually playing for. SW has actually shown promise and if there would be some changes he'd likely improve upon what he's already done. I just don't believe the same can/could be said about KF since i didn't see any promise. Plus i'm not talking about wholesale changes with SW. There wouldn't have to be many changes and some involve the WRs.

What changes in the offense do you feel need to be made for SW to be better? I'm curious about that. You said it as if Gus held him back

And I guess I just don't remember kf being as bad as you're saying but I pretty much deleted that year from my memory.

What changes in the offense do you feel need to be made for SW to be better? I'm curious about that. You said it as if Gus held him back

And I guess I just don't remember kf being as bad as you're saying but I pretty much deleted that year from my memory.

Not saying we held him completely back..just the fact we could've capitalized more with SW. I think we should've helped SW out more in the form of more quick throws....the routes our WRs run(even though they didn't help him or JJ much this year) but still. More intermidiate routes from our WRs; hook/curl routes, actually using a TE, . More RB screens to Roc or screens Truitt or Smith and let them use their abilities in the open field. Turn a 5-8 yard pass into a bigger play. That way the pressure is not all on SW and we're using the ATH we had.

There was a lot of slow developing passing plays with the fake reverse hand off passing plays that i thought didn't help SW b/c he doesn't have the mobility or instincts to move around the pocket to pick up many yards if the pass is not there. It seemed like it was all or nothing with the passing plays. I didn't expect SW to toss it all over the field but we could've designed a better passing attack for the number of passes he did throw is how i see it. I think we can win with SW if we do that. I know Bama has a very good defense but if they can go to the playoffs with Coker as their QB then i don't see how we can't with SW.

In regards to SW and JJ, I honestly don't care that much about completion percentage. SW can throw the ball downfield. Against Ole Miss, SW was 12/28 for 258 yards. When JJ played Georgia, he was 14/22 for 61 yards. JJ had the better %, but when SW completed a pass, it actually mattered.

Archived