Thompson

AuburnSpider

Was wondering why he hasn't been taken by CWM. Thinking maybe he's holding out in case we are unable to locate the DC we want. If so is he qualified for that next step.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 years

Maybe he realizes that Auburn is a better place to be than USC, since Muschamp already filled his DC spot.

It was pretty much a given that Muschamp was going to offer TRob the DC position.

wde

Maybe he realizes that Auburn is a better place to be than USC, since Muschamp already filled his DC spot.

It was pretty much a given that Muschamp was going to offer TRob the DC position.

wde

Yea, the point I was making is that there is no reason he should want to make a lateral move to USC. There's nothing about coaching there that is particularly appealing if it doesn't come with a big raise or promotion. Everyone that Muschamp took got a promotion.

wde

Yea, the point I was making is that there is no reason he should want to make a lateral move to USC. There's nothing about coaching there that is particularly appealing if it doesn't come with a big raise or promotion. Everyone that Muschamp took got a promotion.

I think its depends on whether LT would be more comfortable working under TRob (Muschamp) at USCe versus the new AU DC.

wde

Was wondering why he hasn't been taken by CWM. Thinking maybe he's holding out in case we are unable to locate the DC we want. If so is he qualified for that next step.

I have been under the impression CLT has been pining for a DC position for some time. I think that is the reason he came back to UAT--he figured CKS would be picked up for an HC job soon. I think he probably came to AU thinking he would succeed CWM who was destined to be a short timer.

However, I wonder if there is something in CLT's background which gives pause to him being hired as a DC. Why was he not picked up yet? Perhaps because one can make more money as a position coach at a FBS Power5 school than as a DC at a FBS non-Power5 school or a FCS school. Perhaps it is because CLT can control his own destiny and where he wants to live better as a position coach.

I think CLT would be a capable DC. I think he could keep continuity of our defensive system, schemes, and recruiting. I think promoting CLT could allow AU to focus on getting the right defensive position coaches hired.

Appears to me that LT wants to be Auburn's DC and is willing to wait for the offer. Why not give the guy this opportunity? If he is ready to be a DC and can recruit, I'd have no problem at all with this hire.

there is one coach out there that would be a good fit.....i am hoping that coach doublebubble will give him a call, at the least....he would not be a muschamp, or a pruitt or even a kelly type hire, but he is a good coach.....that coach is ruffin mcneil....we could do worse, and probably will

What do we know about LT that makes us believe he would be a quality DC for Auburn? Yes, he has been a position coach in some great defenses. However, going from a position coach to a coordinator is a big leap. It takes much greater leadership qualities, and the ability to create and execute superior strategy to the coordinator on the opposite side of the field. Most position coaches just aren't successful as coordinators. Just like most coordinators are not successful as head coaches.

I think people asking for LT based on his success as a position coach and his experience with some great DCs. However, that doesn't mean he has the qualities necessary for success as a coordinator.

Personally I'd love it it LT was the right hire and ready to run a great defense on his own. I'm just hesitant because if Saban saw those qualities in him why wouldn't he come after him. Saban knows LT better than anyone. Maybe he's tired of LT coming and going.

there is one coach out there that would be a good fit.....i am hoping that coach doublebubble will give him a call, at the least....he would not be a muschamp, or a pruitt or even a kelly type hire, but he is a good coach.....that coach is ruffin mcneil....we could do worse, and probably will

Just one big ray of sunshine with every post.

They better not twiddle their thumbs too much and/or take the guy for granted. They should think about what happens if Lance gets tired of waiting and decides to leave too.

What do we know about LT that makes us believe he would be a quality DC for Auburn? Yes, he has been a position coach in some great defenses. However, going from a position coach to a coordinator is a big leap. It takes much greater leadership qualities, and the ability to create and execute superior strategy to the coordinator on the opposite side of the field. Most position coaches just aren't successful as coordinators. Just like most coordinators are not successful as head coaches.

I think people asking for LT based on his success as a position coach and his experience with some great DCs. However, that doesn't mean he has the qualities necessary for success as a coordinator.

Personally I'd love it it LT was the right hire and ready to run a great defense on his own. I'm just hesitant because if Saban saw those qualities in him why wouldn't he come after him. Saban knows LT better than anyone. Maybe he's tired of LT coming and going.

That and the fact he has been a DC before at UCF...if you read the threads this has been stated a few times...now he didn't have good years there but that was when UCF was down and really trying to build it back up....UCF is a weird place...get a good QB and RB and they do pretty well (Culpepper, Boiles? [ Current Jag QB]) so there is that...

I think continuity would be big:

Promote Thompson to DC.

Promote from analyst Travis Williams to LB coach. (He has paid his dues)

Bring back Philip Lolley (who just won CFL Grey Cup and loves Auburn) for DB's.

Then play Jason Smith at QB for the bowl game with a heavy, heavy dose of read option to keep Memphis from getting the ball. Jason Smith and John Franklin 3 can battle it out in spring..

Promote Thompson to DC.

Then play Jason Smith at QB for the bowl game with a heavy, heavy dose of read option to keep Memphis from getting the ball. Jason Smith and John Franklin 3 can battle it out in spring..

I highly doubt Smith is the starting QB for the bowl game. Not only does he not have enough time to practice for it, but it's kind of a slap in the face to JJ and SW.

And what do you think happens in the Spring to SW and JJ? Both will be competing for the job.

Promote Thompson to DC.

I see you have already ready written off Sean White....smh:

Promote Thompson to DC.

I see you have already ready written off Sean White....smh:

I expect to see a lot of that between now and next season.

Wait, so Lolley can coach? I swear I was repeatedly told he was a horrible DB coach.

It would be great to bring him in again...I don't see that happening.

I sorta agree with you but you can do a lot with 15 practices. Tony Franklin put in a whole new offense after Tubby fired Al Borges.

If SW is good to go health wise you have to play him... BUT, if he's not, I'd go Jason Smith.. Between JJ's and our WR's inconsistency, the passing game is too inconsistent. We'll have 3rd down drops or bad throws...

If we run read option with JS it will be 3rd and short vs. 3rd and long!!

I know it's a pipe dream!

Archived