Thompson

AuburnSpider

Never say never. People said Chavis would never leave Tennesse. And even after he went to LSU, again people said he'd never leave LSU.

He's not leaving A&M after one year.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shannon was my preference over Muschamp...he's been my #1 the last 3 times we've went coach shopping.

For whatever reason, it doesn't seem Auburn considers him at all.

I'm interested at this point. Hell, why not? He could prove himself all over again.

http://collegespun.com/sec/alabama-sec/former-alabama-lb-goes-off-on-lance-thompson-claims-coach-was-fired-for-messing-around-with-blake-barnetts-mother

This article does bother me a little with CLT. Honestly, could just be a player putting blame on someone else for not making it in the NFL.

Never say never. People said Chavis would never leave Tennesse. And even after he went to LSU, again people said he'd never leave LSU.

Totally different circumstances were the reasons for his departure from the previous jobs. He would still be at LSU but A&Mac offered a substantial raise that LSU wouldn't match. He felt disrespected so he left.

Seems like we're reaching to the bottom of the barrel.

Let us know when we get there, please

Made me laugh :laugh:

You'll know we've reached it if we promote LT. :-\

Says the guy that literally knows nothing about the relative abilities of the candidates. <_<

How so? Because Pruitt was always going to bammer and we couldn't pull Kelly from a great situation, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Good heavens, half this board should be permanently placed on Zoloft.

Says the guy that literally knows nothing about the relative abilities of the candidates. <_<

So sayeth the guy that thinks he does...If LT was the "right guy", then he'd have been offered well before now. :Sing: Maybe you should go talk to Malzahn personally. I don't think he agrees with you. You might want to hold your breath and stomp your feet while you're there.

You do realize that the only reason he left LSU is bc they made all assistant coaches sign contracts that terminated upon the termination of Les' contract. He would not sign and they would not negotiate, so he left.

So sayeth the guy that thinks he does...If LT was the "right guy", then he'd have been offered well before now. :Sing: Maybe you should go talk to Malzahn personally. I don't think he agrees with you. You might want to hold your breath and stomp your feet while you're there.

Once again, you lack basic reading skills.

My position this whole time is that none of us really know. Gus does. People that work with him do. Having other guys higher on your list does not mean someone sucks and we would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. There was a lot of talk that if Pruitt had not gone to Alabama, Mel Tucker would likely have been promoted. Is the fact that Saban preferred Pruitt over Tucker an indication that Tucker sucks? Of course not.

Learn to stop thinking in binary terms only.

My position this whole time is that none of us really know. Gus does. People that work with him do. Having other guys higher on your list does not mean someone sucks and we would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. There was a lot of talk that if Pruitt had not gone to Alabama, Mel Tucker would likely have been promoted. Is the fact that Saban preferred Pruitt over Tucker an indication that Tucker sucks? Of course not.

There was a lot of talk amongst the Bama faithful that they wanted Tucker as DC. There was as much talk that Tucker did not care for recruiting and wanted to go back to the NFL. It remains to be seen what the real story is/was.

Nobody is thinking in binary terms. Your position in at least one reply was that LT might be the 'right hire'. My position is that I don't believe he is, and neither does Gus. He felt (or perhaps was influenced to feel) that Kelly was the right guy for the job. Maybe he really wanted LT, maybe he didn't. If he did, he'd have already offered. Nobody has said LT 'sucks' or is 'garbage' as you so elegantly stated. :dunno: The man's been in the business for a long time and has a good track record as a position coach. Not doubting that one bit.

Made me laugh :laugh:/>

You'll know we've reached it if we promote LT. :-\/>

Says the guy that literally knows nothing about the relative abilities of the candidates. <_</>

So sayeth the guy that thinks he does...If LT was the "right guy", then he'd have been offered well before now. :Sing:/> Maybe you should go talk to Malzahn personally. I don't think he agrees with you. You might want to hold your breath and stomp your feet while you're there.

This. 100%

Nobody is thinking in binary terms. Your position in at least one reply was that LT might be the 'right hire'. My position is that I don't believe he is, and neither does Gus.

This is binary thinking illustrated. You've declared him to be bottom of the barrel and that Gus doesn't think he's the right guy because he wasn't at the top of his list. You lack nuance.

He felt (or perhaps was influenced to feel) that Kelly was the right guy for the job. Maybe he really wanted LT, maybe he didn't. If he did, he'd have already offered. Nobody has said LT 'sucks' or is 'garbage' as you so elegantly stated. :dunno: The man's been in the business for a long time and has a good track record as a position coach. Not doubting that one bit.

When you say we are scraping the bottom of the barrel if we hire LT, that is saying he sucks or is garbage (as a DC). All I'm asking for is a bit of perspective and moderation in your outlook.

Is Randy Shannon even available?

I've read here that he's currently the Co-DC at Florida making about 1/4 of what we were paying Coach Hothead.

Interesting that we have to pay a million bucks to get a guy who seems perfectly happy where he is making $400K or so.

Is that what we are now? A school that hires mercenary coaches ...who will only come here for an exorbitant paycheck...expecting they will get fired as soon as the team has a bad season?

So what do you see? You think we're some school where a coach should be honored that their name was mentioned and they drop everything regarding any other school because any other school besides Auburn is insignificant? Being the DC here may be the toughest job in America, and like it or not anybody that knows anything about football knows there's obstacles here and it's not just all we need is a qb and the qb is already on the roster

I've read here that he's currently the Co-DC at Florida making about 1/4 of what we were paying Coach Hothead.

Interesting that we have to pay a million bucks to get a guy who seems perfectly happy where he is making $400K or so.

Is that what we are now? A school that hires mercenary coaches ...who will only come here for an exorbitant paycheck...expecting they will get fired as soon as the team has a bad season?

So what do you see? You think we're some school where a coach should be honored that their name was mentioned and they drop everything regarding any other school because any other school besides Auburn is insignificant? Being the DC here may be the toughest job in America, and like it or not anybody that knows anything about football knows there's obstacles here and it's not just all we need is a qb and the qb is already on the roster

I'm continually amazed at how many people seem unable to understand basic negotiation. They see a guy makes $X, look at what other DCs are making and think that any one can get them for that price. That's just not how it works. Such figures are just averages and baselines. Specific negotiations between a particular coach and a particular school will change that dynamic real quick. In Auburn's case, our recent history of impatience and fickleness are playing into a perception that Gus is coaching for his job next year. Given that situation, any coach considering us compared to say a similar offer from Georgia or Alabama is going to have higher demands for us. They might want more money, more guaranteed years or both. So no matter what you think a particular coach is "worth" on the open market, to get him to Auburn under such circumstances, it's going to take a little more than the average "worth."

This is how all negotiations are, not just in sports but in any competitive industry. The price it will take to get a person to leave where they are is affected by circumstances on both sides. So the average market rate in terms of salary and guarantees go out the window at some point.

Incidentally, this was the position Alabama found itself in back in 2007. They'd been a revolving door of coaches since Stallings left after the '96 season. Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula. They'd been all over the map, winning the SEC one season to going 3-8 after a preseason rank of #3 the next year. 10-win seasons followed by 4-win seasons.

They had to pay Saban a huge premium to get him. At the time the highest paid coach was Bob Stoops at OU ($3.45 million). Urban Meyer at Florida was making $1.5 million. Jim Tressel was making $2 million. His contract at the time set a whole new standard for head coaching salaries. Another program in better shape probably could have paid him less. Another program that doesn't have Alabama's natural advantages may have had to pay more to get him. That's how this stuff works.

So what we may know:

1. LT not 1st choice

2. LT not second choice, it would have happened by now.

3. LT may have told Gus he has no desire to be DC at this time

4. A4E will throw 15 more darts out there for a new coordinator

Nobody is thinking in binary terms. Your position in at least one reply was that LT might be the 'right hire'. My position is that I don't believe he is, and neither does Gus.

This is binary thinking illustrated. You've declared him to be bottom of the barrel and that Gus doesn't think he's the right guy because he wasn't at the top of his list. You lack nuance.

He felt (or perhaps was influenced to feel) that Kelly was the right guy for the job. Maybe he really wanted LT, maybe he didn't. If he did, he'd have already offered. Nobody has said LT 'sucks' or is 'garbage' as you so elegantly stated. :dunno: The man's been in the business for a long time and has a good track record as a position coach. Not doubting that one bit.

When you say we are scraping the bottom of the barrel if we hire LT, that is saying he sucks or is garbage (as a DC). All I'm asking for is a bit of perspective and moderation in your outlook.

I'm saying we should be able to do better than promoting Lance to DC. After this lackluster season, Muschamp and T-Rob's departure and Malzahn's perceived or not perceived hot seat for 2016, we simply can't attract the biggest names on the board from their current positions. It's understandable. We can't lure a young DC away from a good job at FSU, even though he is a former Dye player and may have reached out to Auburn in the past. Also understandable. I say there are other options out there better than LT. Maybe you don't see it that way, maybe you do. I'm not hearing a lot of interest in Auburn from anyone at the moment.

So what I'm implying that we aren't in the position to attract many candidates without the appeal of doubling their salary or more, and that's unfortunate.

Now, the real bottom of the barrel would be if Gus does in fact eventually offer someone on our current staff, like LT....and he declines the offer. That'd be hitting the oak.

I say there are other options out there better than LT. Maybe you don't see it that way, maybe you do. I'm not hearing a lot of interest in Auburn from anyone at the moment.

If this was the way you stated things all the time, we wouldn't be having this sidebar.

Now, the real bottom of the barrel would be if Gus does in fact eventually offer someone on our current staff, like LT....and he declines the offer. That'd be hitting the oak.

I don't know that I could argue with that.

What type of Defense does Lance Run? When was he last a DC and where? What was hit stats as a DC?

The appeal of Lance (besides recruiting prowess and ability to keep this class together) is that he would run pretty much the same system Muschamp started, as both were schooled under Saban's defensive philosophy.

He was last a DC on his own back in 2004 at UCF. I don't think what he ran then would be relevant to now.

I'm continually amazed at how many people seem unable to understand basic negotiation. They see a guy makes $X, look at what other DCs are making and think that any one can get them for that price. That's just not how it works. Such figures are just averages and baselines. Specific negotiations between a particular coach and a particular school will change that dynamic real quick. In Auburn's case, our recent history of impatience and fickleness are playing into a perception that Gus is coaching for his job next year. Given that situation, any coach considering us compared to say a similar offer from Georgia or Alabama is going to have higher demands for us. They might want more money, more guaranteed years or both. So no matter what you think a particular coach is "worth" on the open market, to get him to Auburn under such circumstances, it's going to take a little more than the average "worth."

This is how all negotiations are, not just in sports but in any competitive industry. The price it will take to get a person to leave where they are is affected by circumstances on both sides. So the average market rate in terms of salary and guarantees go out the window at some point.

Incidentally, this was the position Alabama found itself in back in 2007. They'd been a revolving door of coaches since Stallings left after the '96 season. Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula. They'd been all over the map, winning the SEC one season to going 3-8 after a preseason rank of #3 the next year. 10-win seasons followed by 4-win seasons.

They had to pay Saban a huge premium to get him. At the time the highest paid coach was Bob Stoops at OU ($3.45 million). Urban Meyer at Florida was making $1.5 million. Jim Tressel was making $2 million. His contract at the time set a whole new standard for head coaching salaries. Another program in better shape probably could have paid him less. Another program that doesn't have Alabama's natural advantages may have had to pay more to get him. That's how this stuff works.

Comparing Saban's offer to our DC offer is apples and oranges. He had won championships and was considered a top 3 coach. Us offering to double the pay of a good DC is seen as a poor business decision, desperation.

Just recently we were said to have a top 5 paid staff but their results were not top 5 so maybe we need to rethink what we are doing.

I agree with all and that and more. It's not hard it's simple supply and demand. Just the timing of it, A coach will have the upper hand right now and they and more importantly their agent will know it.

Archived