Thompson

AuburnSpider

What type of Defense does Lance Run? When was he last a DC and where? What was hit stats as a DC?

He would run the same defense as Champ. He was the DC at UCF in '04,'05,'06. We already turned down a candidate because he had 0 years of DC experience(TRob), only to go after and be turned down by a candidate with only 2 years of DC experience (Kelly) and now apparently interested in a candidate with only 1 year of DC experience (Allen) who runs a different scheme.

So, in addition to the excellent coaching and recruiting experience he brings to the table, Lance also has more DC experience than any of them. All that makes him a viable candidate along with the others. Here is a short bio when he worked for O'Leary at UCF that gives more info. http://www.ucfknight...son_148982.html

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What type of Defense does Lance Run? When was he last a DC and where? What was hit stats as a DC?

He was last a DC on his own back in 2004 at UCF. I don't think what he ran then would be relevant to now.

And therein lies the problem. Lets look as his tenure at UCF (2004- Worst Season EVER and they ranked 77 in Defense, They got to a bowl game in his 2nd year there but the defense drop to 102 , and his last year when they finally saw the light and the problem he had managed to take them to 105th in the nation that is out of 119. Again I am totally not sure what the love is for Lance he is a hired recruiter and all he has been for many years. And just so you understand that he was the problem, in 2007 UCF (in one year) had improved back to 76 and in 2008 they had jumped to 41st. Give Lance a break he is not a coordinator and hiring him will signal the end of JJ's trust in Gus to get the Job done, I don't see how you could see it any other way. I know I don't want some one with those stats as a Coordinator running a program of our caliber and I am not even close to a coach.

Comparing Saban's offer to our DC offer is apples and oranges. He had won championships and was considered a top 3 coach. Us offering to double the pay of a good DC is seen as a poor business decision, desperation.

No, it isn't apples and oranges. In fact, Alabama was prepared to pay Rich Rodriguez over $2 million a year for 6 years before he reneged and went back to West Virginia. That's a guy with no championships at all who was set to make the same salary as Jim Tressel at the time who had won a national championship, three Big 10 titles and played for another BCS title in the preceding 5 seasons. Alabama was in a situation where they were going to have to pay a premium to get a proven head coach. At the time Bob Stoops had a better resume than Saban and was only making $3.45M. Stoops' record leading up to Saban's hiring at $4M plus up to $800k in additional incentives:

2000 - 10-0, Big XII Champs, National Champs

2001 - 11-2

2002 - 12-2, Big XII Champs

2003 - 12-2, BCS Title Game runner-up

2004 - 12-1, Big XII Champs, BCS Title Game runner-up

2005 - 8-4

2006 - 11-3, Big XII Champs

Bottom line is - Alabama was not in position to pay Saban "market rate." It was going to take significantly more. We are in a similar situation.

He was last a DC on his own back in 2004 at UCF. I don't think what he ran then would be relevant to now.

And therein lies the problem. Lets look as his tenure at UCF (2004- Worst Season EVER and they ranked 77 in Defense, They got to a bowl game in his 2nd year there but the defense drop to 102 , and his last year when they finally saw the light and the problem he had managed to take them to 105th in the nation that is out of 119. Again I am totally not sure what the love is for Lance he is a hired recruiter and all he has been for many years. And just so you understand that he was the problem, in 2007 UCF (in one year) had improved back to 76 and in 2008 they had jumped to 41st. Give Lance a break he is not a coordinator and hiring him will signal the end of JJ's trust in Gus to get the Job done, I don't see how you could see it any other way. I know I don't want some one with those stats as a Coordinator running a program of our caliber and I am not even close to a coach.

I just don't think stats from 11+ seasons ago, at a mid-major program and prior to coaching under Saban for several years is that relevant.

Comparing Saban's offer to our DC offer is apples and oranges. He had won championships and was considered a top 3 coach. Us offering to double the pay of a good DC is seen as a poor business decision, desperation.

No, it isn't apples and oranges. In fact, Alabama was prepared to pay Rich Rodriguez over $2 million a year for 6 years before he reneged and went back to West Virginia. That's a guy with no championships at all who was set to make the same salary as Jim Tressel at the time who had won a national championship, three Big 10 titles and played for another BCS title in the preceding 5 seasons. Alabama was in a situation where they were going to have to pay a premium to get a proven head coach. At the time Bob Stoops had a better resume than Saban and was only making $3.45M. Stoops' record leading up to Saban's hiring at $4M plus up to $800k in additional incentives:

2000 - 10-0, Big XII Champs, National Champs

2001 - 11-2

2002 - 12-2, Big XII Champs

2003 - 12-2, BCS Title Game runner-up

2004 - 12-1, Big XII Champs, BCS Title Game runner-up

2005 - 8-4

2006 - 11-3, Big XII Champs

Bottom line is - Alabama was not in position to pay Saban "market rate." It was going to take significantly more. We are in a similar situation.

Again that is a head coach hire where we are talking about a 2 yr coordinator. For Saban it was as much control and commitment as salary. Rich Rod was a huge up and comer at that time as well which is why he was hired at Michigan.

I am sorry but comparing our DC offer to their offer for a HC is far fetched.

So you are saying that because he worked under Saban he should now be handed the keys to Auburn's defense after 1 year on the Job? By the way his recruiting hasn't been that great either.

So you are saying that because he worked under Saban he should now be handed the keys to Auburn's defense after 1 year on the Job? By the way his recruiting hasn't been that great either.

Damn, what is the deal with people reading three words or one sentence of an entire post and making wild conclusions?

All I have said is that there may be more to LT's abilities to take this next step than just looking at some old stats from 11 years ago. People who've worked with Lance may think he can take that step. He worked under Saban for several years and was hired by the man twice. That tells me he's not chopped liver. No, that alone doesn't mean we hand him the keys. But neither do some old stats mean we should strike him from consideration or assume that if he gets the job that we've scraped the bottom of the barrel.

Also don't you wonder why Champ didn't take him with him? Since he brought him to Auburn.

There was talk of that. I understand we also didn't want to lose him (and thus take a huge recruiting hit), so we may have done some things to make that happen.

Was wondering why he hasn't been taken by CWM. Thinking maybe he's holding out in case we are unable to locate the DC we want. If so is he qualified for that next step.

I have been under the impression CLT has been pining for a DC position for some time. I think that is the reason he came back to UAT--he figured CKS would be picked up for an HC job soon. I think he probably came to AU thinking he would succeed CWM who was destined to be a short timer.

However, I wonder if there is something in CLT's background which gives pause to him being hired as a DC. Why was he not picked up yet? Perhaps because one can make more money as a position coach at a FBS Power5 school than as a DC at a FBS non-Power5 school or a FCS school. Perhaps it is because CLT can control his own destiny and where he wants to live better as a position coach.

I think CLT would be a capable DC. I think he could keep continuity of our defensive system, schemes, and recruiting. I think promoting CLT could allow AU to focus on getting the right defensive position coaches hired.

Unless CGM has a homerun hire in his back pocket, I am also for CLT to DC. for all of the above mentioned reasons. Plus it would really allow the team as a whole to start focusing on the benefits of the bowl practices to take the next step towards continuity in improvement.

I think continuity would be big:

Promote Thompson to DC.

Promote from analyst Travis Williams to LB coach. (He has paid his dues)

Bring back Philip Lolley (who just won CFL Grey Cup and loves Auburn) for DB's.

Then play Jason Smith at QB for the bowl game with a heavy, heavy dose of read option to keep Memphis from getting the ball. Jason Smith and John Franklin 3 can battle it out in spring..

That would be my wish at this point also. What a surprise and advantage that would be in the bowl game and going forward.

This is the most selective and narrow minded thinking I've seen here in a while. Nothing he did a decade ago is relevant to the current situation. You are painting a picture that we basically should dismiss any coach at all that had any subpar results from a decade ago and not even remotely considering the fact that people (even coaches) are constantly learning and improving. Stats alone don't tell the story here, but its not surprising since its the only thing that fits the, "we should pass on him" argument. Do you not think we get better players at Auburn than what they get at Central Florida? Apparently not. While I'm not a lance Thompson fan, it's totally ludicrous to take stats from a decade ago and use them to say he's not qualified to lead a defense.

We need to hire a quality DC asap. Gus should have had a plan A, Plan B, and a plan C for this hire. Even a plan D as far as that goes. Send out feelers to see the interest by those he would like to hire. This is not brain surgery. Offering a coach a substantial raise and a 3 year guaranteed salary should be incentive enough to get a very good DC. The new coach could be looking at a $350,000.00 or more pay increase and over $1,000,000,00 increase over the 3 year period. Get it done Gus!!!

This is the most selective and narrow minded thinking I've seen here in a while. Nothing he did a decade ago is relevant to the current situation. You are painting a picture that we basically should dismiss any coach at all that had any subpar results from a decade ago and not even remotely considering the fact that people (even coaches) are constantly learning and improving. Stats alone don't tell the story here, but its not surprising since its the only thing that fits the, "we should pass on him" argument. Do you not think we get better players at Auburn than what they get at Central Florida? Apparently not. While I'm not a lance Thompson fan, it's totally ludicrous to take stats from a decade ago and use them to say he's not qualified to lead a defense.

But of course you've been around this board long enough to know that logic rarely enters into a discussion and people will grasp at any fact...or "near-fact" , no matter how relevant....to support their argument.

With the Dead Period starting tomorrow(I think), there is now no reason at all to rush finding a new DC....LT & RG have seemed to have done a heckuva job holding the recruiting class together.

I tell you what other than he coached for saban tell me why we should keep him other than he is all that is left Because that is all I am hearing so far.

I think you'd probably need to talk to someone that has seen him coach in person, such as Gus, Muschamp, TRob, Saban, Smart, etc. Outside of that, besides having coached in Saban's (and thus Muschamp's) schemes for several years now, I'd say you take into consideration things like continuity for the defensive personnel, recruiting, etc.

All I'm saying is, you (nor I) know enough to be making such definitive declarations.

I tell you what other than he coached for saban tell me why we should keep him other than he is all that is left Because that is all I am hearing so far.

I think you'd probably need to talk to someone that has seen him coach in person, such as Gus, Muschamp, TRob, Saban, Smart, etc. Outside of that, besides having coached in Saban's (and thus Muschamp's) schemes for several years now, I'd say you take into consideration things like continuity for the defensive personnel, recruiting, etc.

All I'm saying is, you (nor I) know enough to be making such definitive declarations.

Continuity, I will buy that one, if he runs that same defense, but we wouldn't know that until he took the job.

Continuity, I will buy that one, if he runs that same defense, but we wouldn't know that until he took the job.

For that matter, what do we know about any of them until they took the job?

You don't know for sure about anyone til they take the job and work with our players. We've run through a set of DCs the last 6 years that have all been successful elsewhere, some wildly successful. Ted Roof, Brian VanGorder, Ellis Johnson, Muschamp. None of them could get the job done, though Muschamp showed that he was getting us on the right track.

I'll also say along the "continuity" line of thought is that LT also knows the players. He's seen them up close and personal in practice and on gameday and knows who is and who isn't giving it their all. That's not nothing.

We need to hire a quality DC asap. Gus should have had a plan A, Plan B, and a plan C for this hire. Even a plan D as far as that goes. Send out feelers to see the interest by those he would like to hire. This is not brain surgery. Offering a coach a substantial raise and a 3 year guaranteed salary should be incentive enough to get a very good DC. The new coach could be looking at a $350,000.00 or more pay increase and over $1,000,000,00 increase over the 3 year period. Get it done Gus!!!

Just take it easy doc. It's nit vital to do it right now. When you panic and rush, that's when mistakes happen. We're about to enter the dead period for recruiting, as someone else posted, so we've got a little time.

With the Dead Period starting tomorrow(I think), there is now no reason at all to rush finding a new DC....LT & RG have seemed to have done a heckuva job holding the recruiting class together.

Good point.

For all we know we could be waiting on coach X to finish their bowl game, and possibly keeping a tight lip on it.

You don't know for sure about anyone til they take the job and work with our players. We've run through a set of DCs the last 6 years that have all been successful elsewhere, some wildly successful. Ted Roof, Brian VanGorder, Ellis Johnson, Muschamp. None of them could get the job done, though Muschamp showed that he was getting us on the right track.

I'll also say along the "continuity" line of thought is that LT also knows the players. He's seen them up close and personal in practice and on gameday and knows who is and who isn't giving it their all. That's not nothing.

And most folks seem to have forgotten the players in this discussion....and the advantage for them to be working with coaches they know and a system they have been running for the past year.

Actually we would. It's called the INTERVIEW. Do you not think coaches discuss what their philosophy is as it relates to the side of the ball they are discussing? Do you honestly believe any head coach would offer someone a DC or even OC job without knowing what they like to run on that side of the ball? Really??

Actually we would. It's called the INTERVIEW. Do you not think coaches discuss what their philosophy is as it relates to the side of the ball they are discussing? Do you honestly believe any head coach would offer someone a DC or even OC job without knowing what they like to run on that side of the ball? Really??

LOL, you think asking someone gets you the true answer? Seriously

Archived