Thompson

AuburnSpider

What do we know about LT that makes us believe he would be a quality DC for Auburn? Yes, he has been a position coach in some great defenses. However, going from a position coach to a coordinator is a big leap. It takes much greater leadership qualities, and the ability to create and execute superior strategy to the coordinator on the opposite side of the field. Most position coaches just aren't successful as coordinators. Just like most coordinators are not successful as head coaches. I think people asking for LT based on his success as a position coach and his experience with some great DCs. However, that doesn't mean he has the qualities necessary for success as a coordinator. Personally I'd love it it LT was the right hire and ready to run a great defense on his own. I'm just hesitant because if Saban saw those qualities in him why wouldn't he come after him. Saban knows LT better than anyone. Maybe he's tired of LT coming and going.
That and the fact he has been a DC before at UCF...if you read the threads this has been stated a few times...now he didn't have good years there but that was when UCF was down and really trying to build it back up....UCF is a weird place...get a good QB and RB and they do pretty well (Culpepper, Boiles? [ Current Jag QB]) so there is that...

I know he has been a DC before with ok results. That's why people only think he could do a good job now because he has been a great position coach in some great defenses. Gus is a guy who always tries to hire the best. ie Muschamp and Ellis both had a lot of success as DCs before being hired by Gus. I just don't see him hiring a guy who hasn't had success as a DC. There are too many people out there have already proven themselves as DCs. But if Lance has really shined during his time at Auburn maybe he's showed Gus that he does have what it takes. Gus will let us know soon enough

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is one coach out there that would be a good fit.....i am hoping that coach doublebubble will give him a call, at the least....he would not be a muschamp, or a pruitt or even a kelly type hire, but he is a good coach.....that coach is ruffin mcneil....we could do worse, and probably will

Just one big ray of sunshine with every post.

Or one big dose or RAYality maybe!

Was wondering why he hasn't been taken by CWM. Thinking maybe he's holding out in case we are unable to locate the DC we want. If so is he qualified for that next step.

I have been under the impression CLT has been pining for a DC position for some time. I think that is the reason he came back to UAT--he figured CKS would be picked up for an HC job soon. I think he probably came to AU thinking he would succeed CWM who was destined to be a short timer.

However, I wonder if there is something in CLT's background which gives pause to him being hired as a DC. Why was he not picked up yet? Perhaps because one can make more money as a position coach at a FBS Power5 school than as a DC at a FBS non-Power5 school or a FCS school. Perhaps it is because CLT can control his own destiny and where he wants to live better as a position coach.

I think CLT would be a capable DC. I think he could keep continuity of our defensive system, schemes, and recruiting. I think promoting CLT could allow AU to focus on getting the right defensive position coaches hired.

I need to know if USC is a FBS non power5 school? who are the schools in the SEC that are Power5 schools?

All SEC schools -- at least technically. ;)

I think continuity would be big:

Promote Thompson to DC.

Promote from analyst Travis Williams to LB coach. (He has paid his dues)

Bring back Philip Lolley (who just won CFL Grey Cup and loves Auburn) for DB's.

Then play Jason Smith at QB for the bowl game with a heavy, heavy dose of read option to keep Memphis from getting the ball. Jason Smith and John Franklin 3 can battle it out in spring..

I was with you and then you lost me...

Jason Smith is not going to be quarterbacking in the SEC anytime soon. Wallace and Tuberville are higher in the depth chart than Smith.

What's best for Auburn is for Sean White to be healthy and practicing for our bowl game, and practicing the offense already installed.

I know many of us were enamored with the zone read option but it is not the end-all offense. If I asked you, would you run an offense that was based on making a DE or LB miss his tackle, would you consider that sane?

Promote Thompson to DC.

Then play Jason Smith at QB for the bowl game with a heavy, heavy dose of read option to keep Memphis from getting the ball. Jason Smith and John Franklin 3 can battle it out in spring..

I was with you and then you lost me...

Jason Smith is not going to be quarterbacking in the SEC anytime soon. Wallace and Tuberville are higher in the depth chart than Smith.

What's best for Auburn is for Sean White to be healthy and practicing for our bowl game, and practicing the offense already installed.

I know many of us were enamored with the zone read option but it is not the end-all offense. If I asked you, would you run an offense that was based on making a DE or LB miss his tackle, would you consider that sane?

I think Seam starts if healthy, but Smith supposedly took reps before the Iron Bowl.

Promote Thompson to DC.

You were spot-on until the sentence that starts with..."Then play Jason Smith..." Past that point you lost touch with reality, IMHO. Either JJ gets his head straight, Sean White gets his knee straight, Tyler Queen gets his arm straight or we are right back in the soup next year.

As I said in another thread. I have always wanted Randy Shannon over all the names mentioned. Don't know if CGM is even looking at him as an option. If not Shannon, I would be ok with promoting Thompson.

there is one coach out there that would be a good fit.....i am hoping that coach doublebubble will give him a call, at the least....he would not be a muschamp, or a pruitt or even a kelly type hire, but he is a good coach.....that coach is ruffin mcneil....we could do worse, and probably will

I like Ruffin McNeil. He has a history of being a hard working DC that gets the most out of his players.

Did he coach at Texas Tech?

Let's cut the Jason Smith to play QB rhetoric. Maybe he can take a few snaps in a Wildcat situation, but that should be it. If Sean is still gimpy (I hope not), JJ is our best bet. If he can't go for some odd reason, then I'd imagine he'll play Wallace. Malzhan's offense doesn't have to zone read heavy to be successful, contrary to popular myth.

Or maybe an eternal pessimist like you.

Promote Thompson to DC.

What has Lolley done to make you believe our DBs will be better than they were last time he was here

I like Ruffin McNeil. He has a history of being a hard working DC that gets the most out of his players.

He's now on staff at Virginia.

If the guy at USF, who is apparently the current target, turns us down I would immediately just offer Shannon a bump up to about $800K as our DC, if he turns us down then I say promote LT, promote T-Will to LB, and bring in someone like Dell McGee or another solid DB coach and lets do thiis thing.

Is Randy Shannon even available?

I've read here that he's currently the Co-DC at Florida making about 1/4 of what we were paying Coach Hothead.

Is Randy Shannon even available?

I've read here that he's currently the Co-DC at Florida making about 1/4 of what we were paying Coach Hothead.

Interesting that we have to pay a million bucks to get a guy who seems perfectly happy where he is making $400K or so.

Is that what we are now? A school that hires mercenary coaches ...who will only come here for an exorbitant paycheck...expecting they will get fired as soon as the team has a bad season?

Shannon was my preference over Muschamp...he's been my #1 the last 3 times we've went coach shopping.

For whatever reason, it doesn't seem Auburn considers him at all.

Well so far, Alabama has a great DC and Charles Kelly is staying F$U. We should try to hire Chavis or Foster.

Neither are happening. Foster has been retained by VT and makes over $1M a year. Chavis isn't leaving A&M after one season.

Archived