Men vs. Mercer - game thread

WarTiger

We still need to give the same effort on defense that we do on offense. Also our celebrations are running too close to giving up free plays, we need a higher basketball iq that we showed tonight

Their last basket wasn't fully contested-- our guys acted like it was over and it was still very possible to lose. Bruce needs to address that before it bites us.

Yep...gave them one....and that slam at the buzzer wasn't necessary....most teams would have just gotten the RB and let the time expire.

Otherwise a fun game to watch though #5 seemed to be "watching" a lot of it while playing defense underneath. Was expecting more in the way of defense from him but so far, not much IMO but maybe just an off night.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Au64

I was impressed by mercer's desire to go to the boards. At the beginning of the game I thought some of their rebounds were simply some fortunate deflections, particularly on their offensive end - when the announcers were trumpeting their offensive rebounding they were actually just falling in their lap.

Later in the game there was no doubt mercer was breaking for the boards while we seemed to be waiting on the ball. My guess is we will address that in practice and it is better next game.

On D We seemed to do a little of that "do you have him?" Thing underneath, but that could be more a credit to the mercer O. Those guys were definitely not intimidated ... As the announcers reminded us 50,000 times.

Good win against a tough team. Would love to see us put a game away but got to give the other team credit for hanging in there. Great games by canty, Dunans, and Harris. Decent game for bowers and spencer. Still gotta work on that D....

Good win against a tough team. Would love to see us put a game away but got to give the other team credit for hanging in there. Great games by canty, Dunans, and Harris. Decent game for bowers and spencer. Still gotta work on that D....

Decent game for Bowers he had another double double with 13 points and 12 Rebounds shooting 5-11 which is a solid percentage. Nobody seems to give him the credit he deserves. He is averaging 13 PT a game and 9.7 Rebounds for a man of his height playing inside with the big guys that is fantastic. I totally agree about working on the D.

Bowers is a beast but as Mr. Fishback said you gotta take the good with the bad with Bowers and the bad is what people get upset at him about. Sometimes you wonder why he thinks he tries certain passes that are obviously bad decisions but if he's giving us 13/10 a night I can live with a few turnovers. You just have to hope that the turnovers don't come at critical times. But his FT shooting has improved drastically and that's awesome to see. Once he gets more comfortable with his new, lighter, quicker body and he starts feeling his touch again he will just get better.

Decent game for Bowers he had another double double with 13 points and 12 Rebounds shooting 5-11 which is a solid percentage. Nobody seems to give him the credit he deserves. He is averaging 13 PT a game and 9.7 Rebounds for a man of his height playing inside with the big guys that is fantastic. I totally agree about working on the D.

If only look at the stat line then yes he had a great game. But I actually watched the game. There was good and bad. He almost lost it AGAIN with poor free throw shooting. He had several boneheaded plays but got lucky on some. We also got killed on the offensive glass which should be his area. But don't get me wrong he made some good plays as well. I should probably downgrade Dunans to a decent game as well to be fair. He disappeared late and had some rough plays.

We still need to give the same effort on defense that we do on offense. Also our celebrations are running too close to giving up free plays, we need a higher basketball iq that we showed tonight

Their last basket wasn't fully contested-- our guys acted like it was over and it was still very possible to lose. Bruce needs to address that before it bites us.

We saw the same thing. After that oop they need to know what's going on and get back

We saw the same thing. After that oop they need to know what's going on and get back

That was really annoying. Get back on D!!!

Did we get burned on a long full court baseball pass on an inbounds play again last night? 2nd game in a row. But i'll trade that in exchange for how difficult we are making it for other teams to inbound the ball. We've forced what? 4 or 5 five second calls in the last 2 games. Impressive.

Yep...gave them one....and that slam at the buzzer wasn't necessary....most teams would have just gotten the RB and let the time expire.

Otherwise a fun game to watch though #5 seemed to be "watching" a lot of it while playing defense underneath. Was expecting more in the way of defense from him but so far, not much IMO but maybe just an off night.

The slam at the buzzer helped all the AU fans that bet on the game -6.5 win their bets! :-\

Mercer is a good team and a tough team to prepare for. They ran a lot of different things at us defensively, that slowed us down and controlled tempo. They did hurt us rebounding, we have to be better there. Need guards/wings to do a better job there. Also, we did not shoot a good percentage from the floor, despite getting some good looks. Specifically, Brown couldn't get it going despite getting several good looks.

It says a lot we won this game with a starter going down early, poor shooting percentage, and allowing the opposing team to control tempo and out rebound us.

This roster has good talent and a chance to have a very good season.

I'm enjoying this thread. A lot of reasonable commentary and giving due credit.

This team is fun. Lots of upside. We will put it all together in the coming weeks against a really good team and get a W. Will be an overall enjoyable season.

That was really annoying. Get back on D!!!

Did we get burned on a long full court baseball pass on an inbounds play again last night? 2nd game in a row. But i'll trade that in exchange for how difficult we are making it for other teams to inbound the ball. We've forced what? 4 or 5 five second calls in the last 2 games. Impressive.

On this play we didn't get burned but almost. But it was from two of the leaders and they have to know mentally the game situation imo. I've seen Steph curry and other good, disciplined players make this mistake before so I'm not going off or anything but I did notice it. Coach pearl told us that the defense was behind the offense and it was going to be a work in progress so we knew what to expect, I'm just hoping it gets better every game we play and we get smarter.

Yup spot on. This team will only improve as long as we are fortunate in terms of overall health. Lang missing significant time (I'm assuming) is already going to hurt us some he streteches the floor really well for us

If only look at the stat line then yes he had a great game. But I actually watched the game. There was good and bad. He almost lost it AGAIN with poor free throw shooting. He had several boneheaded plays but got lucky on some. We also got killed on the offensive glass which should be his area. But don't get me wrong he made some good plays as well. I should probably downgrade Dunans to a decent game as well to be fair. He disappeared late and had some rough plays.

not really. Each team had 14 offensive rebounds. The had more defensive rebounds (8 more) which gave them the edge in rebounding. But I don't translate that to getting killed on the boards. Announcers made way more of it than it was.

not really. Each team had 14 offensive rebounds. The had more defensive rebounds (8 more) which gave them the edge in rebounding. But I don't translate that to getting killed on the boards. Announcers made way more of it than it was.

Not sure I agree with that: Maybe I don't understand this correctly but Mercer had 32 defensive rebounds....which were off our missed shots. AU had only 14 offensive rebounds off our own missed shots. So of the 46 missed shots at the Auburn end, Mercer got 18 more rebounds than we got.....I would call that "killing us on the boards" since offensive rebounds are an excellent opportunity to score a mostly uncontested put-back basket.

I accept that AU, by missing 9 FT attempts (out of 20), provided a number of opportunities where the defense has the advantage in the rebounding attempt. Still, we did not get that many put-backs which might have been affected by the fact that we missed 17 out of 26 three point attempts which from my observation over the years, seem to go to the defensive team most of the time.

Summary: if AU had shot better from the foul line (55%)...and shot better from the 3 point line (34%), they would not have (killed) dominated us on the boards when AU was taking the shot..... .all of which made the game closer than it could have been with better rebounding.

Archived