Men vs. Hawaii - game thread

WarTiger

We've lost to Harvard and Hawaii? there's no reason for that to happen to any SEC team.

a tournament team and a 9-2 team that has is now 8-1 at home...... Yeah pretty likely that could happen to a lot of teams

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate people feel that this was a disappointing tourney for Auburn. If you watch college basketball even a little bit in March you would realize Harvard is always in the tourney. They have been consistently good for some time now and Hawaii has played very well this year. Auburn finished fourth with not only a young inexperienced team, but a banged up group, with chemistry issues, who still has yet to play a complete game. In my opinion the Hawaiian experience will be a blessing in disguise. It will show the coaches the lack of ball movement on offense, inconsistent communication on both sides of the floor, and boxing out better before running the floor in transition.

I hate people feel that this was a disappointing tourney for Auburn. If you watch college basketball even a little bit in March you would realize Harvard is always in the tourney. They have been consistently good for some time now and Hawaii has played very well this year. Auburn finished fourth with not only a young inexperienced team, but a banged up group, with chemistry issues, who still has yet to play a complete game. In my opinion the Hawaiian experience will be a blessing in disguise. It will show the coaches the lack of ball movement on offense, inconsistent communication on both sides of the floor, and boxing out better before running the floor in transition.

i was surprised at the lack of ball movement by the O. I think some of these guys are so intent on "putting the team on their back" that it actually becomes selfish play and we miss open shots. The number of times this weekend on of our players went into the paint and got shut down ... While a player stood waiting for the pass and open shot.

i was surprised at the lack of ball movement by the O. I think some of these guys are so intent on "putting the team on their back" that it actually becomes selfish play and we miss open shots. The number of times this weekend on of our players went into the paint and got shut down ... While a player stood waiting for the pass and open shot.

This has been a problem in portions of the game all year. I understand Kareem and TJ getting the ISO calls because of their style of play. Their ability to get to the basket creates openings for other players. But the other guys trying to ball hog is just lack of overall team experience and team chemistry. In high school a lot of players were the guy, but they just have to figure out what their roles are and trust the system consistently throughout the game.

I despise the iso plays. It is just not good BB.

If you're gonna do it, at least make some passes and move around some before getting to a 1 on 1 play.

Just standing there dribbling for 20 seconds waiting for the shot clock to wind down makes for complacent play from your team mates who just stand around and watch. It diminishes the energy of the team and makes for lazy follow up for rebound. How many times did we see Canty dribble down low and not be able to shoot or dump the ball?

Looked like my 5th grade girls rec team.

I despise the iso plays. It is just not good BB.

If you're gonna do it, at least make some passes and move around some before getting to a 1 on 1 play.

Just standing there dribbling for 20 seconds waiting for the shot clock to wind down makes for complacent play from your team mates who just stand around and watch. It diminishes the energy of the team and makes for lazy follow up for rebound. How many times did we see Canty dribble down low and not be able to shoot or dump the ball?

Looked like my 5th grade girls rec team.

True and I agree let the ISO be the last possible option

I also do not prefer iso basketball as I feel ball movement like the Spurs and Warriors implement is the best way to achieve success. However, we have a stud in Canty who can make teams pay when we use him in Iso and he has actually saved our butts multiple times this year by doing his dribble through the legs then pop a 3 in the face of a defender. And I agree if we move the ball around then end up getting Canty in an iso situation would be better because at least we would be making the entire defense work for at least a portion of the shot clock. Nothing is easier than guarding your man who is just camping out in the corner. Especially when you know the PG at the top isn't going to drive and kick but just dribble and pull up.

That being said, Bruce Pearl is the guy and I couldn't have dreamed of having a bball coach of his caliber at AU. My intent is not to disparage BP's coaching and I don't want a change even though his offensive philosophy can be frustrating at times. I understand once we get more horses in the program the O will flow a bit better.

I also do not prefer iso basketball as I feel ball movement like the Spurs and Warriors implement is the best way to achieve success. However, we have a stud in Canty who can make teams pay when we use him in Iso and he has actually saved our butts multiple times this year by doing his dribble through the legs then pop a 3 in the face of a defender. And I agree if we move the ball around then end up getting Canty in an iso situation would be better because at least we would be making the entire defense work for at least a portion of the shot clock. Nothing is easier than guarding your man who is just camping out in the corner. Especially when you know the PG at the top isn't going to drive and kick but just dribble and pull up.

That being said, Bruce Pearl is the guy and I couldn't have dreamed of having a bball coach of his caliber at AU. My intent is not to disparage BP's coaching and I don't want a change even though his offensive philosophy can be frustrating at times. I understand once we get more horses in the program the O will flow a bit better.

Offense runs through the Point Guard having Shamsid-Deen out our only experienced point guard is hurting this team. Then with other injuries though minor to this point we have had key contributors out and have had to constantly change the lineups. As the team gets more time to develop some chemistry and if we can keep the current players healthy to develop the chemistry I believe you will see more ball movement and ISO used when clock is running out as a last resort. Even with all the complaining about our O we are still putting up a lot of points. The key to becoming a good team is boxing out to improve rebounding and improving our D especially getting to 3 point shooters.

Archived