Men vs. Hawaii - game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How was this a bad loss? Hawaii is now 9-2, they were at home, and until the refs went bat-crap crazy, AU was in a good spot. If all mean "bad loss" for making the dance, AU was never going to make the dance this year. Listen to Bruce, he's been saying it all year. He knows and isn't afraid to say it. AU needs to win 8-9 more to make the NIT and that will be a stretch for this team without Purifoy. And even his presence might not be enough.

Still looking for suggestions on who should play besides Bowers...

Bro, nobody's saying he shouldn't be playing...

Then what good is it to say he's a liability. He does things no one on the bench can do. Yeah, it would be super if he hit some of those inside shots, but he's 6-8 going against 6-10 guys. That's a huge difference unless you can jump out of the gym. Cim can't. He's not a liability. Not even close. If rather have him out there drawing fouls, missing shots, and missing FTs than have Spencer in getting pushed around and not getting to the rim at all.

Here's how this was affected. With about 9 and a half minutes left, the debauchery started. As the game wears down, and more free throws are shot, and fouls add up, we can't play our best players when we need them out there because we need them late, and can't afford for them to foul. So Hawaii is able to come back. Then, when we get our better players back in with around 4 minutes left, we're down and have to force things to come back. What made this even worse was that even when Canty, Spencer, and Harris could go back in, calls kept going Hawai'i's way. The foul on Bowers when Brown drove to the basket and scored? What in the world was that? Bowers no more than boxing out, fighting for position. They also call hand and arm checks on AU, I.e. Bryce Brown with about 3 to go, and allow Spencer to be pulled down by a small guard, allow TJ Lang to be arm-barred, and for their 6'9 center, who by the way looks to be their best scorer, so he is needed in the game for Hawaii, to continually swat downwards on shots that come inside and hit people in the arm and face. He can be wild, but Bowers was fouled about 20 times tonight. And you can't call all of them but you could've called at least 5 on Jankovic. That was wrong.

Then what good is it to say he's a liability. He does things no one on the bench can do. Yeah, it would be super if he hit some of those inside shots, but he's 6-8 going against 6-10 guys. That's a huge difference unless you can jump out of the gym. Cim can't. He's not a liability. Not even close. If rather have him out there drawing fouls, missing shots, and missing FTs than have Spencer in getting pushed around and not getting to the rim at all.

What are you arguing?

Everything you just said, I agree with. He's all we got.

Unfortunately, to get the good out of Bowers, you're gonna have to deal with the (more times than not) being out of position on defense, and his best impersonations of Steph Curry on offense...

Again, it is what it is...

What are you arguing?

Unfortunately, to get the good out of Bowers, you're gonna have to deal with the (more times than not) being out of position on defense, and his best impersonations of Steph Curry on offense...

Arguing against people saying Cim is a liability. Cim isn't great. Cim isn't consistent. But he's not a liability. Being a liability means there's another, better option Bruce should go with.

How was this a bad loss? Hawaii is now 9-2, they were at home, and until the refs went bat-crap crazy, AU was in a good spot. If all mean "bad loss" for making the dance, AU was never going to make the dance this year. Listen to Bruce, he's been saying it all year. He knows and isn't afraid to say it. AU needs to win 8-9 more to make the NIT and that will be a stretch for this team without Purifoy. And even his presence might not be enough.

Just looked at the SEC schedule. Know games aren't won and lost on paper but wow, do 8 wins look next to impossible. Looking at them, I'd be happy to match last year's record...Oh well, we are what the record says we are. I'm impatient, but a realist. Eager to see what Bruce has in store to continue building the program. Not gonna lie, over in the prediction thread, I predicted us to be the last team in the NCAA. Easy to see now that I had some major sunshine pumping juice in me. Heck, I know the team would probably lose money on it, but even if AU got a CIT invite, I'd love to listen to AU make some kind of postseason building block.

I live in las vegas (born and raised 46 yrs)THE betting line in the game opened hawaii -7 and was quickly bet up to hawaii -10(for those who dont know that line move means their was pretty sizeable money bet on hawaii)I bet the game had auburn +10.Trust me in 20 years of sports betting(im a sports betting consultant) ive had alot of tough losses but can count on 1 hand games that i definitly believe WERE SHADY.(FIX)AUBURN GOT SCREWED AND THE NGCP(NEVADA GAMING CONTROL BOARD SHOULD IVESTIGATE THAT ONE>>>>>>>BRUTAL

What are you arguing?

Arguing against people saying Cim is a liability. Cim isn't great. Cim isn't consistent. But he's not a liability. Being a liability means there's another, better option Bruce should go with.

Is that what you think that means???

••• a person or thing whose presence or behavior is likely to cause embarrassment or put one at a disadvantage.

Here's how this was affected. With about 9 and a half minutes left, the debauchery started. As the game wears down, and more free throws are shot, and fouls add up, we can't play our best players when we need them out there because we need them late, and can't afford for them to foul. So Hawaii is able to come back. Then, when we get our better players back in with around 4 minutes left, we're down and have to force things to come back. What made this even worse was that even when Canty, Spencer, and Harris could go back in, calls kept going Hawai'i's way. The foul on Bowers when Brown drove to the basket and scored? What in the world was that? Bowers no more than boxing out, fighting for position. They also call hand and arm checks on AU, I.e. Bryce Brown with about 3 to go, and allow Spencer to be pulled down by a small guard, allow TJ Lang to be arm-barred, and for their 6'9 center, who by the way looks to be their best scorer, so he is needed in the game for Hawaii, to continually swat downwards on shots that come inside and hit people in the arm and face. He can be wild, but Bowers was fouled about 20 times tonight. And you can't call all of them but you could've called at least 5 on Jankovic. That was wrong.

Supposedly we should be good enough to overcome such BS......but every other person in here thinks we suck because we can't blow past people even when the refs are such homers. This game should be an embarrassment to the game but no one gives a crap about Auburn v/s Hawaii. The refs should be suspended and the game cancelled form the records. That was a total inside job.

What are you arguing?

••• a person or thing whose presence or behavior is likely to cause embarrassment or put one at a disadvantage.

He is neither of those things compared to the other options. Following this line of thinking, Canty is a "liability" with his shot selection, Harris is a "liability" with his foul troubles, Dunans is a "liability" with his forcing things in the lane, and Purifoy is a "liability" with his ACT score.

Cim works his ass off every play, every game. Liability doesn't describe him one bit.

What are you arguing?

He is neither of those things compared to the other options. Following this line of thinking, Canty is a "liability" with his shot selection, Harris is a "liability" with his foul troubles, Dunans is a "liability" with his forcing things in the lane, and Purifoy is a "liability" with his ACT score.

Cim works his ass off every play, every game. Liability doesn't describe him one bit.

Every play?!?!?

Ok, conversation over. Merry Christmas.

What are you arguing?

Every play?!?!?

Ok, conversation over. Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you too!

I liked the way we played in this game a whole lot better than the Harvard loss. A case could be made that with honest officiating we'd have won this one. No such thing can be said about the mess that was the Harvard game.

This was a very tough game to watch. I swear I wanted to go Paul George on that Officiating. It was just horrible; way to make sure Hawaii finish in the top 3. They were already bigger than Auburn and when you add the fact the whistle was clearly blowing on one side of the floor, Hawaii was able to play a much more physical game.

pay attention to the above post about the betting line!....if you think there is not anything to be made of it, then you're stupid.....i was hoping, at about the 2:00 mark, that bruce would pull the team off of the court and walk away.....its obvious to me what was going on....you think officials are not corrupt?....you never seen anything in the NBA that suggested corruption have you?....uh, maybe we did....this stuff happens a lot more than people realize

pay attention to the above post about the betting line!....if you think there is not anything to be made of it, then you're stupid.....i was hoping, at about the 2:00 mark, that bruce would pull the team off of the court and walk away.....its obvious to me what was going on....you think officials are not corrupt?....you never seen anything in the NBA that suggested corruption have you?....uh, maybe we did....this stuff happens a lot more than people realize

Wrong? Undoubtedly. Corrupt, no. The amount of betting on this game couldn't have amounted to much. This wasn't about betting, this was about them likely getting caught up in the excitement of the comeback by the home team. They wanted to be a part of that.

Archived