Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This felt like a statement when it happened. Or maybe a declaration of war. I don't really know how to articulate it. But it really felt like some sort of turning point. 

Dude's got a lot of eff you in him. 

Anybody heard how his throat's doing?

Not sure about his throat. I just love the energy in that performance; seems like it would be easy to mail in a performance on SNL. I think “eff you” is kinda his default mode. I mean, busking out in front of the CMAs when he got left out, lol?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Not sure about his throat. I just love the energy in that performance; seems like it would be easy to mail in a performance on SNL. I think “eff you” is kinda his default mode. I mean, busking out in front of the CMAs when he got left out, lol?

Exactly. Like... he didn't have to go so hard. But he decided to kick as much ass as possible on that stage and in front of those cameras. 

Definitely his default mode. "Make Art Not Friends" might literally be his mantra. 

• Love 2

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. Like... he didn't have to go so hard. But he decided to kick as much ass as possible on that stage and in front of those cameras. 

Definitely his default mode. "Make Art Not Friends" might literally be his mantra. 

Kacey Musgraves “High Horse” supposedly about him, lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fredst said:

Kacey Musgraves “High Horse” supposedly about him, lol

Um, I was going to respond that a song by her named High Horse could literally be about her getting high with a horse, but no, that is definitely a diss track. And, holy crap, a cool country beef? I love it! I must learn more. There's a story here. Away to the digital microfiche archives I go!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Okay so what's really crazy is I thought the intro to that song was a nod to the intro to Make Art Not Friends but the Musgraves song predates the Simpson song by a year. The trail has gone cold!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe my favorite song on this album. At least until you post another song from this album. 

My favorite is definitely Mercury in Retrograde. I'm not sure why, but it hits me in all the right ways. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, cbo said:

Maybe my favorite song on this album. At least until you post another song from this album. 

My favorite is definitely Mercury in Retrograde. I'm not sure why, but it hits me in all the right ways. 

Interesting. I really like “Remember to Breathe”. I guess everyone has their jam. Took awhile to grow on me but I like that whole album now 

• Like 2

"Make Art Not Friends" might literally be his mantra. 

You nailed it here. He injects the right amount of rock star "eff you" into his songs. The right amount of anger to get the songs across and keep him at the top of his game. Live, he looks like a man on a damn mission. Although that may have faded in the last couple years. If so, good for him. He's done enough. 

He's completed his 5 album plan, although I do think he will walk that back a bit and return in some form. As far as his throat, he's gone completely dark since cancelling the last tour. Quietly living on a bunch of land in TN, with his wife and kids. So who knows. Again, good for him. 

• Like 2

Just now, fredst said:

Interesting. I really like “Remember to Breathe”. I guess everyone has their jam. Took awhile to grow on me but I like that whole album now 

Was definitely a grower. Still not my favorite album of his, but I like it a lot. I'm glad he keeps mixing it up. 

I've probably posted about him before, but how about the late, great Townes Van Zandt? The real deal. It does not get any better, and we wouldn't have half the "Americana" songs we love without him. Any fans out there?

Here's just one of many examples:

"We all got holes to fill
Them holes are all that's real.
Some fall on you like a storm,
Sometimes you dig your own.
The choice is yours to make,
Time is yours to take
Some dive into the sea,
Some toil upon the stone.

To live is to fly
Low and high,
So shake the dust off of your wings
And the sleep out of your eyes
Shake the dust off of your wings
And the tears out of your eyes."

• Love 2

8 hours ago, fredst said:

Exactly my point. I love that song. Many days my favorite song is Fastest Horse in Town. Sometimes I like the disco song best. Just depends. One of those albums where every next song is like, oh damn, this song!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

A great version of this song. Stadium concerts back then were a site to see....if you could remember....

So I *think* it was this song, but it's a weird enough story that I'm just going to tell it regardless. 

We had a neighbor family on our street where they were rich on her inheritance. She still worked, he didn't. Just sat around the house getting high all day. Had kids running around in the front yard in diapers. We're talking about rich folks. He even had a friend of mine come babysit the kids *while he was home doing nothing*. He'd excuse himself to go "work" in the barn and come back stoned out of his mind. 

So another friend's mom owned a radio station. Everything was computerized. They didn't even have staff in the building a lot of the time- just a program running on a computer playing the playlist. 

Well, this stoner unemployed dad does some hard drugs one night, decides to break into the radio station, and occasionally say weird things on air. But he had one song playing on repeat the entire time- this one.

Don't remember what happened to that guy but I don't think it was a happy ending. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So I *think* it was this song, but it's a weird enough story that I'm just going to tell it regardless. 

We had a neighbor family on our street where they were rich on her inheritance. She still worked, he didn't. Just sat around the house getting high all day. Had kids running around in the front yard in diapers. We're talking about rich folks. He even had a friend of mine come babysit the kids *while he was home doing nothing*. He'd excuse himself to go "work" in the barn and come back stoned out of his mind. 

So another friend's mom owned a radio station. Everything was computerized. They didn't even have staff in the building a lot of the time- just a program running on a computer playing the playlist. 

Well, this stoner unemployed dad does some hard drugs one night, decides to break into the radio station, and occasionally say weird things on air. But he had one song playing on repeat the entire time- this one.

Don't remember what happened to that guy but I don't think it was a happy ending. 

if you watch the video you will see some really stoned out people especially toward the end of the song. One guy looks like he is having a seizure

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

if you watch the video you will see some really stoned out people especially toward the end of the song. One guy looks like he is having a seizure

Sounds like most concerts I went to from the early 90s through the mid aughts. Will definitely look for that when I can watch and focus. 

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No photo description available.

I’m old enough now that being in a mob of folks like that I just can’t handle. Two thoughts though: 1)there are a bunch of damn acts I’d like  to see 2)what if, even with a playbill that long, you were just one of the “hundreds more”? Seems like that would be discouraging…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fredst said:

I’m old enough now that being in a mob of folks like that I just can’t handle. Two thoughts though: 1)there are a bunch of damn acts I’d like  to see 2)what if, even with a playbill that long, you were just one of the “hundreds more”? Seems like that would be discouraging…

Totally hear you about the crowds. Even when I was younger I didn't love that aspect about jazz fest. And it really becomes a problem for me when you have to wait in line for concessions and bathrooms.

Agreed about the lineup, though. I have no intention of going but thought this group might appreciate some of those acts. In addition to all the usual suspects.

And I hear you about the hundreds of others but I think a lot of them are going to be super excited about tens of thousands of people strolling past their stage with the possibility of many of them stopping to listen and find out their name. I have "discovered" a lot of acts at festivals this way.

Not exactly on topic, but the first time I went to Merlefest everybody was talking about "The Kid". It was some 15-year-old or so who had won the mandolin contest the year before. He ended up sitting in on jams with all of the big names throughout the weekend and became a draw unto himself. It was Chris Thile. Went on to have himself a decent little career, as Golf might say.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not exactly on topic, but the first time I went to Merlefest everybody was talking about "The Kid". It was some 15-year-old or so who had won the mandolin contest the year before. He ended up sitting in on jams with all of the big names throughout the weekend and became a draw unto himself. It was Chris Thile. Went on to have himself a decent little career, as Golf might say.

Now you’ve done it. Man, I love me some Nickel Creek. One of my favorites (although doesn’t feature him):

• Love 1