Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

7 minutes ago, Didba said:

Hahah, thanks, I taught myself how to play the first Covid summer, so much time on my hands, and had tried to learn at least 5-6 times in my short life. This time it finally stuck. 

I probably couldn't kill it like he does but could cover it fairly well, the chords are fairly standard, though I have never taken the time to learn it cause all the people I play and sing/harmonize with are dudes sooooooo... it just doesn't work as well😂

I love that you can tell in that video that they are in the hill country around Austin.  I love Austin, its beautiful, one of my best friends lives up there now, and I love to visit. Helps that he has a studio in his garage and his neighbors don't care about the drums at 3 am... only in Austin.

How old are you if you don’t mind the question (I would never ever ask Golf that question, lol- hell, he may not remember)? Cool that you taught yourself- very impressed. Where does Neil Peart rank on your drummer list (Bonzo #1 imo; noticed on your profile)?

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

How old are you if you don’t mind the question (I would never ever ask Golf that question, lol- hell, he may not remember)? Cool that you taught yourself- very impressed. Where does Neil Peart rank on your drummer list (Bonzo #1 imo; noticed on your profile)?

I just turned 26 in November so I am still a wee youngin.  I taught myself buuuuut I have been around music my whole life as both my two best friends and Mother were musicians.  Those guys tried to teach me so many times so I definitely had a a strong understanding of music and how I needed to teach myself, it was really all about just finally putting in the work and not stopping, after it got frustrating.

Neil Peart is easily top 10 just for his sheer technical ability.  One of the greatest drum soloists I have ever seen.  As a prog rock drummer he doesn't have the same groove as other drummers I really enjoy, like Porcaro or Purdie but he still makes top ten.  I am not a huge Rush fan so I haven't heard a ton of their stuff but "YYZ" is all I really needed to listen to for me to place him in top 10. Easily among the greatest rock drummers to come our of the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

I just turned 26 in November so I am still a wee youngin.  I taught myself buuuuut I have been around music my whole life as both my two best friends and Mother were musicians.  Those guys tried to teach me so many times so I definitely had a a strong understanding of music and how I needed to teach myself, it was really all about just finally putting in the work and not stopping, after it got frustrating.

Neil Peart is easily top 10 just for his sheer technical ability.  One of the greatest drum soloists I have ever seen.  As a prog rock drummer he doesn't have the same groove as other drummers I really enjoy, like Porcaro or Purdie but he still makes top ten.  I am not a huge Rush fan so I haven't heard a ton of their stuff but "YYZ" is all I really needed to listen to for me to place him in top 10. Easily among the greatest rock drummers to come our of the 70s and 80s.

Nice. Obviously I’m dating myself but Rush one of my faves. Never thought they got their due and were late to get inducted into to HOF. The sound they created with just three guys to me was incredible. Always loved Peart because he was the  primary lyricist too. I absolutely wore out “2112” and “Moving Pictures” in my youth

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, fredst said:

Nice. Obviously I’m dating myself but Rush one of my faves. Never thought they got their due and were late to get inducted into to HOF. The sound they created with just three guys to me was incredible. Always loved Peart because he was the  primary lyricist too. I absolutely wore out “2112” and “Moving Pictures” in my youth

I agree with you that they were massively underrated. I forgot that Peart was the primary writer. That honestly could push him into my top 5 because they have some seriously creative lyrics.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, fredst said:

(I would never ever ask Golf that question, lol- hell, he may not remember)?

Hey you frickin numnut I see everything don't be thinking you can take a shot at me and I don't see it.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hey you frickin numnut I see everything don't be thinking you can take a shot at me and I don't see it.

I know, that’s why I put it in there, lol. You are always a good sport, that’s why we love you on here😘

Just now, fredst said:

I know, that’s why I put it in there, lol. You are always a good sport, that’s why we love you on here😘

Christ almighty just shoot me

• Haha 1

Rush is a great starting point for a conversation about "good". Prog rock in general, really. All the talent and technical skill you could ask for, but if you're looking for music to move you emotionally, you're not always going to get it from that genre. 

This is always a big conversation on the jam band scene, particularly in the post-Dead world. The two biggies left standing were Phish and Widespread Panic. Phish are clearly, far and away the more talented group of musicians. But they lean more prog/jazz relative to a more blues-based WSP. 

It's a fun conversation. Fortunately we don't have to choose. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Rush is a great starting point for a conversation about "good". Prog rock in general, really. All the talent and technical skill you could ask for, but if you're looking for music to move you emotionally, you're not always going to get it from that genre.

That’s why I love “2112”- if you listen to the lyrics and story of the whole first side of that album (for those that know albums; of course, dating myself further, I also had it on 8 track lol) it’s a pretty cool example of what Neil Peart was thinking/imagining (I think he wrote some fantasy lit as well). The music is also awesome. It’s a lot better than the average rock song about getting drunk and getting laid

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

That’s why I love “2112”- if you listen to the lyrics and story of the whole first side of that album (for those that know albums; of course, dating myself further, I also had it on 8 track lol) it’s a pretty cool example of what Neil Peart was thinking/imagining (I think he wrote some fantasy lit as well). The music is also awesome. It’s a lot better than the average rock song about getting drunk and getting laid

See, this is what I mean, they're too smart for me. 

Now, Poison's early stuff... THAT's some high grade songcraft. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, right….

Speaking of, Jason Isbell turned me on to Kae Tempest yesterday. This, like Rush, is not background music. This is listen and contemplate stuff. Borders on spoken word over melodies but there is a definite rhythm there. 

And this relic that still sounds as fresh and progressive as ever.

• Like 1

Somehow I’m late again and just started listening to this dude. Found him (kind of) because my daughter is in school in Ft Worth. Love the retro groove:

And this band he has collaborated with:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, fredst said:

Somehow I’m late again and just started listening to this dude. Found him (kind of) because my daughter is in school in Ft Worth. Love the retro groove:

If you had to explain Austin's cultural scene in four words, you could do a lot worse than "Leon Bridges plus Khruangbin".

Got turned on to both of them several years ago by different people. The fact that they ended up collaborating is just crazy. Both of them make that kind of music that is so subtle and smooth that it hides its own genius a little. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:42 PM, Didba said:

Thought I'd start throwing some of my favorite modern artists in here.  I'll start with two bands out of Austin.  Some of you may know Shakey Graves. Since I am sure that my favorite classic artists has already been covered in this brief thread so Imma throw y'all some stuff you may have never heard.

I love White Denim. Corsicana Lemonade is in regular rotation. 

4 hours ago, cbo said:

I love White Denim. Corsicana Lemonade is in regular rotation. 

Wow! Really impressed! I didn't think anyone on here would have heard of them. Clearly, I am a fan of their earlier stuff but Corsicana was my introduction to their stuff.

So not only are your takes on Auburn football reasonable and solid, you also have a great taste in music. "cbo, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, ROUND OF APPLAUSE, WHAT A JUDICIOUS, AND SWELL GUY!"

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Wow! Really impressed! I didn't think anyone on here would have heard of them. Clearly, I am a fan of their earlier stuff but Corsicana was my introduction to their stuff.

So not only are your takes on Auburn football reasonable and solid, you also have a great taste in music. "cbo, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, ROUND OF APPLAUSE, WHAT A JUDICIOUS, AND SWELL GUY!"

Right back at you! Let's hear it for Didba!

I'm a huge music nerd. My very favorite thing. Unlike Auburn football, it never lets me down. 

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2022 at 6:46 PM, fredst said:

FUN FACT... Leon Bridges's guitarist and drummer were White Denim's lead guitarist and drummer and you can see them killing it to a different style of music in the live videos I posted of White Denim.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/11/2022 at 4:46 PM, fredst said:

My wife loves Leon Bridges. Daughter does too. He's hard not to like, really. 

Leon was (at least partially) discovered and helped by the guitarist from  .... White Denim. Who later left WD with the drummer to join Leon's band. 

It's, like ... all connected, meeehn. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

FUN FACT... Leon Bridges's guitarist and drummer were White Denim's lead guitarist and drummer and you can see them killing it to a different style of music in the live videos I posted of White Denim.

Haha. Well that was weird. Swear I didn't see your post. 

• Haha 1

Here's some more Indie/Pysch Rock for you guys, these guys are pretty well known within the scene but I especially love this song of theirs because its opening riff was one of the first I ever learned on electric. Lot of fun to play, not that hard and it sounds reaaaaal cool.

After that I am jumping to a bit of Outlaw Country for you folks...

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Haha. Well that was weird. Swear I didn't see your post. 

Hahahah... great minds...

• Like 1

Just now, Didba said:

Here's some more Indie/Pysch Rock for you guys, these guys are pretty well known within the scene but I especially love this song of theirs because its opening riff was one of the first I ever learned on electric. Lot of fun to play, not that hard and it sounds reaaaaal cool.

After that I am jumping to a bit of Outlaw Country for you folks...

Woah. I am a huge Sturgill fanboy. Love the Sunday Valley stuff. There is a very good chance I have posted that Sometimes Wine video here. I send it to everybody. Lots of people don't realize what a kickass guitar player Sturgill is. 

• Love 2