Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

On 12/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, McLoofus said:

Grand old time last night. Apologies for anything redundant to previous posts/experiences. Copied and pasted from a recap I texted to some buddies:

Still buzzing. They've gotten soooo tight as a band, Jason has become a legit guitar ninja, they're starting to do a little more improvisational stuff since last I saw them, and he gave us a killer setlist given that he's touring on the most recent album and not playing a ton of old favorites. McWifey was disappointed that he played four covers, including both the encore songs, but the only one I was meh on was Driver 8. Honeysuckle was great, although Sadler Vaden ain't no 90s Kevn. Brittney Spencer, the opener, came out for the encore and they did It's a Man's World (🔥) and Gimme Shelter (bucket list/rock'n'roll dreams come true). Letting You Go off the new album is a girl dad cry factory. Blah blah dude is operating at peak capacity these days. 

Great summary. That band has hit a different gear.

• Thanks 1

Shifting gears here.  I appreciate great musicianship & happened to come across this young lady, Aubrey Logan.  She plays trombone AND can sing, too -- has something like 8 octaves vocal range(!)  Listen:  

and just for fun, how about a little Bohemian Rhapsody:  

• Like 1

Going a different way here. Reminiscing with my middle daughter that latched on to this at a young age, like 5-6. We have revisited through the past 10-12 years and she still listens to it occasionally though she prefers more popular stuff, just like me. But… listened to this with her tonight and if there is a more beautiful piece of music ever written I don’t know what it is. Not a fan of opera *unless* you can see it performed well and live … then, it is an experience that will move you like nothing else. Anyway….. listened to this with her tonight and subsequently listened to about 20 different versions….gives me a catch in my throat every time…

Merry Christmas and blessings to all. Pull up another version because Pavarotti is a bit cliche (but also had a voice gifted from God)

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:03 AM, fredst said:

Going a different way here. Reminiscing with my middle daughter that latched on to this at a young age, like 5-6. We have revisited through the past 10-12 years and she still listens to it occasionally though she prefers more popular stuff, just like me. But… listened to this with her tonight and if there is a more beautiful piece of music ever written I don’t know what it is. Not a fan of opera *unless* you can see it performed well and live … then, it is an experience that will move you like nothing else. Anyway….. listened to this with her tonight and subsequently listened to about 20 different versions….gives me a catch in my throat every time…

Merry Christmas and blessings to all. Pull up another version because Pavarotti is a bit cliche (but also had a voice gifted from God)

A really good symphony concert where they're doing some big classical stuff- Beethoven, Mozart, etc- is top of my wish list. I've never been to one. This was really good, though, and it's super cool that it's a touchstone for you and your little girl. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:30 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

All it takes is one trip to the indie record shop to become a fan of 60s/70s French psychedelic/prog rock 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5jJrBPIhJEbcF7n9RQ8oSE?si=KAQ_em5fQD6r8CleZD8jpQ

It's like Guy Ritchie and Wes Anderson had a movie baby and this is the soundtrack

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It's like Guy Ritchie and Wes Anderson had a movie baby and this is the soundtrack

I can’t count how many record stores I’ve been in that spin old French tunes of any genre. I can’t understand a word of it, but the vibe is always so cool. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I can’t count how many record stores I’ve been in that spin old French tunes of any genre. I can’t understand a word of it, but the vibe is always so cool. 

Absolutely. And, like all things French... well, there's a reason je ne sais quoi is the one thing the Germans don't have a word for. 

• Haha 1

Had this song stuck in my head since I first heard it on the radio a few days ago. Jack White is so underrated despite all the success he's had. This is his newest single

One of the recent Captain Morgan commercials used a snippet of this song, which is about 50 years old now.

The woman who got called on and later was playing the harmonica is the singer's wife.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

One of the recent Captain Morgan commercials used a snippet of this song, which is about 50 years old now.

The woman who got called on and later was playing the harmonica is the singer's wife.

Man, I love hearing these random, funky, international tunes from back in the day. Two more examples, both of which I'm pretty sure I've posted before:

• Like 1

If I were a MLB closer, this would be my "walking from the bullpen to the mound" song.

Thought I'd start throwing some of my favorite modern artists in here.  I'll start with two bands out of Austin.  Some of you may know Shakey Graves. Since I am sure that my favorite classic artists has already been covered in this brief thread so Imma throw y'all some stuff you may have never heard.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Didba said:

Thought I'd start throwing some of my favorite modern artists in here.  I'll start with two bands out of Austin.  Some of you may know Shakey Graves. Since I am sure that my favorite classic artists has already been covered in this brief thread so Imma throw y'all some stuff you may have never heard.

Strong first post! Welcome!

2 hours ago, Didba said:

Awesome! Love some Shakey- unbelievably talented dude. Nice version of my wife’s favorite of his here:

Edited by fredst

37 minutes ago, fredst said:

Awesome! Love some Shakey- unbelievably talented dude. Nice version of my wife’s favorite of his here:

I love that video! So good, I have wanted to cover it forever with someone!

1 hour ago, Didba said:

He played at the museum in Ft Worth when we were there this fall for parents weekend and we just couldn’t make it work (we joined the museum with that event in mind lol). Disappointed…

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

If you are that accomplished on the guitar….👊🏼

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

If you are that accomplished on the guitar….👊🏼

Hahah, thanks, I taught myself how to play the first Covid summer, so much time on my hands, and had tried to learn at least 5-6 times in my short life. This time it finally stuck. 

I probably couldn't kill it like he does but could cover it fairly well, the chords are fairly standard, though I have never taken the time to learn it cause all the people I play and sing/harmonize with are dudes sooooooo... it just doesn't work as well😂

I love that you can tell in that video that they are in the hill country around Austin.  I love Austin, its beautiful, one of my best friends lives up there now, and I love to visit. Helps that he has a studio in his garage and his neighbors don't care about the drums at 3 am... only in Austin.

• Like 1