New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

We usually have a few members here who buy into these ridiculous times. A few years ago we had about ten players faster than any player in the nfl. I thought I was going to get run off the old AE forum because I tried to convince folks Ladarius Owens did not run the listed 4.5 on his bio. Or anywhere near it for that matter.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We usually have a few members here who buy into these ridiculous times. A few years ago we had about ten players faster than any player in the nfl. I thought I was going to get run off the old AE forum because I tried to convince folks Ladarius Owens did not run the listed 4.5 on his bio. Or anywhere near it for that matter.

I miss when it was AE. Seemed to be less complaining & bickering among everybody.

I miss when it was AE. Seemed to be less complaining & bickering among everybody.

This site didn't have nearly as much bitching and moaning until the merge btw.

yeah man, you're right. I'm not trying to complain now, I still love it but it seems like somebody is always bashing somebody else or complaining about something. I joined AE when during the recruiting drama of Lattimore, Seastrunk & Dyer back in the day. Been around that long. Mostly just watch now though. Don't post near as much...but back to the topic. I really do think JF3 will win the job. I feel like the coaches want him to take over. You don't bring in a JUCO QB to sit. JF3 doesn't have to be a great passer. He just has to take care of the ball, make good decisions, & make passes when they count. NM was never that accurate but always seemed to complete passes when we needed them.

AE was way over moderated. I like it here better.

yeah man, you're right. I'm not trying to complain now, I still love it but it seems like somebody is always bashing somebody else or complaining about something. I joined AE when during the recruiting drama of Lattimore, Seastrunk & Dyer back in the day. Been around that long. Mostly just watch now though. Don't post near as much...but back to the topic. I really do think JF3 will win the job. I feel like the coaches want him to take over. You don't bring in a JUCO QB to sit. JF3 doesn't have to be a great passer. He just has to take care of the ball, make good decisions, & make passes when they count. NM was never that accurate but always seemed to complete passes when we needed them.

Marshall was exceptional at keeping plays alive long enough for something to break down. It also always seemed to me that he threw better on the run. I wish we could have had the combination of him and Mason together for more than one season.

As for Franklin, I don't think they recruited him to sit at all. His speed all but guaranteed that he would see the field, even if it wasn't at QB. If he could earn the starting QB job, great. If not, they'd find another way to put the ball in his hands. He was really a can't miss recruit. As long as he isn't putting the ball on the ground, he'll always have something to do as long as he's here.

Pre-merger, I was about the only person here that could be counted on to do some bitchin' and moanin'. Now I've got all this competition....

Pre-merger, I was about the only person here that could be counted on to do some bitchin' and moanin'. Now I've got all this competition....

Yeah. I seem to remember there being a few a4e types that were dedicated to complaining. BG's mere presence kept more threads alive than anything.

LOL

He just has to take care of the ball, make good decisions, & make passes when they count.

Just? Those things are incredibly hard to do. That's why not many guys are good quarterbacks.

As for Franklin, I don't think they recruited him to sit at all. His speed all but guaranteed that he would see the field, even if it wasn't at QB. If he could earn the starting QB job, great. If not, they'd find another way to put the ball in his hands. He was really a can't miss recruit. As long as he isn't putting the ball on the ground, he'll always have something to do as long as he's here.

Exactly. You take kids with elite speed and figure the rest out later. It's not complicated.

And for those who keep complaining about Auburn's 40 times, McCalebb and Grant were both legitimate freaks who secured NFL contracts almost entirely because of how fast they are. In fact, numerous Auburn players have been drafted higher than Auburn "fans" think they should have been due in large part to their combine numbers. What is the point of bitching and moaning, to borrow an expression, over fractions of fractions of seconds when the point is that JFIII, like McCalebb and Grant before him, is legitimately fast as all hell?

tiger88 says hello. :)

You don't bring in a JUCO QB to sit.

You do, however, bring in an athlete with elite speed who has a shot of making an NFL roster at something other than QB, because his size amplifies the rest of his shortcomings to the NFL, and give him the opportunity to make a difference somewhere on the field.

In all honestly, unless he is an incredibly fast learner and can improve his passing dramatically over the Summer, I expect him to play wildcat QB and hopefully get some work for jet sweeps and maybe even some returns.

I agree JF3 screams jet sweeps and the o-mac role, but Gus uses the Wildcat QB predominantly as a short yardage and/or red zone formation which does not fit JF3's size and talents IMO. Now JF3 Wildcatting with say 2d and 6 from midfield - THAT would be interesting.

You do, however, bring in an athlete with elite speed who has a shot of making an NFL roster at something other than QB, because his size amplifies the rest of his shortcomings to the NFL, and give him the opportunity to make a difference somewhere on the field.

In all honestly, unless he is an incredibly fast learner and can improve his passing dramatically over the Summer, I expect him to play wildcat QB and hopefully get some work for jet sweeps and maybe even some returns.

I remember reading an article or two that mentioned he wanted WR's to come throw with him basically as soon as he got here. While that says nothing about how fast of a learner he is, it does imply that he's willing to work a lot on his own time. That makes me think it is reasonable to expect he will improve during the summer and fall if the WR's will work with him.

I think you're right about how he gets used if he's not the starting QB, and I hope he gets used as much as possible. That's speed a defense has to respect anytime he's on the field. He could be a nightmare if we actually run a high tempo offense again.

I remember reading an article or two that mentioned he wanted WR's to come throw with him basically as soon as he got here. While that says nothing about how fast of a learner he is, it does imply that he's willing to work a lot on his own time. That makes me think it is reasonable to expect he will improve during the summer and fall if the WR's will work with him.

I think you're right about how he gets used if he's not the starting QB, and I hope he gets used as much as possible. That's speed a defense has to respect anytime he's on the field. He could be a nightmare if we actually run a high tempo offense again.

Yea... he has the right attitude. Unfortunately, from all accounts I've read, his mechanics are horrible, so just throwing to his receivers isn't going to fix it. He's going to need someone who understands mechanics, like maybe Sean or Jeremy, to watch him and help him make adjustments.

Yea... he has the right attitude. Unfortunately, from all accounts I've read, his mechanics are horrible, so just throwing to his receivers isn't going to fix it. He's going to need someone who understands mechanics, like maybe Sean or Jeremy, to watch him and help him make adjustments.

I've never delved this deep into NCAA rules, but is he allowed to work with an NFL player on his own time?

I've never delved this deep into NCAA rules, but is he allowed to work with an NFL player on his own time?

By the NCAA... sure, if he pays for it out of his own pocket. It can't be free. But, as been stated here, before, Gus frowns on working with outside coaching.

What you just stated is the same thing I said. You don't bring him in to sit.

By the NCAA... sure, if he pays for it out of his own pocket. It can't be free. But, as been stated here, before, Gus frowns on working with outside coaching.

I was thinking Nick Marshall might be willing and able to work with him.

We have brought in many JUCO guys that have come in and sat. Its not uncommon.

Many people seem to want to ignore that fact. The % of JUCO players that come in and sit isn't much if any different from the % of high school guys that come in and sit.

Many people seem to want to ignore that fact. The % of JUCO players that come in and sit isn't much if any different from the % of high school guys that come in and sit.

They seem to think it's different if it's a QB, even if it's a 3* athlete who hardly had a host of starting QB jobs waiting for him to select from.

Facts have no business in this forum.

never said it wasn't. Coach L said himself they didn't bring in JF3 to sit. Wasn't saying it wasn't uncommon, but the majority of the time you bring in JUCO players to provide depth or to play.

never said it wasn't. Coach L said himself they didn't bring in JF3 to sit. Wasn't saying it wasn't uncommon, but the majority of the time you bring in JUCO players to provide depth or to play.

i thought Kenny Flowers would be a automatic starter at LB. I doubt he ever played a meaningful snap in his 2 or 3 years. Some just don't cut it.

i thought Kenny Flowers would be a automatic starter at LB. I doubt he ever played a meaningful snap in his 2 or 3 years. Some just don't cut it.

Flowers, King, Moncrief..... We hit a bad spot in the road with JUCOs right there.

Archived