New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

How much experience did jj have in the redzone year 2? The best argument is while in the redzone they took him out alot, when the coaches do that they minimize developing the qb's talent. To be frank we still don't have a qb on the roster that has experience being in the redzone.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ & ^^ Very good point. However, what do you think we should call on first down that wouldn't qualify as being "cute?"

Something not involving Jeremy Johnson coming in to waste a down would be a start. SW has good enough speed that he could even run a zone read and probably would waltz right in since the D would likely collapse on the RB up the gut.

From what I remember seeing over the past several years, we get near the goal line and then bog down because we start doing a lot of sideline-to-sideline stuff - bubble screens and the like. I would love to see a 2 level crossing route with a FB splitting out towards the back pylon in the other direction.

Whatever we do, I think that Gus should think "what would I normally call here" and then do the opposite. I swear, WDE and everything, but his red zone struggles are probably the most perplexing thing I've ever seen. I'm up in the front of the Gus Bus, but it's like he gets to the 10 yard line and then starts blindly selecting plays in the back of the playbook like it's Madden or something.

WHat i bolded is what i saw too. That includes too such calls as jet sweeps and WR passes. The fact that it is such a short field to me reduces the successes of these types of plays.

Also, although White is being blamed for red zone failures.....remember (unless stat tiger can find the stats for it), WHite was a RSFR with LITTLE or no experience playing in real games. So i am not going to blame him the most for not executing in the RZ last year.

Great point. Agree

^ & ^^ Very good point. However, what do you think we should call on first down that wouldn't qualify as being "cute?"

Something not involving Jeremy Johnson coming in to waste a down would be a start. SW has good enough speed that he could even run a zone read and probably would waltz right in since the D would likely collapse on the RB up the gut.

From what I remember seeing over the past several years, we get near the goal line and then bog down because we start doing a lot of sideline-to-sideline stuff - bubble screens and the like. I would love to see a 2 level crossing route with a FB splitting out towards the back pylon in the other direction.

Whatever we do, I think that Gus should think "what would I normally call here" and then do the opposite. I swear, WDE and everything, but his red zone struggles are probably the most perplexing thing I've ever seen. I'm up in the front of the Gus Bus, but it's like he gets to the 10 yard line and then starts blindly selecting plays in the back of the playbook like it's Madden or something.

WHat i bolded is what i saw too. That includes too such calls as jet sweeps and WR passes. The fact that it is such a short field to me reduces the successes of these types of plays.

Also, although White is being blamed for red zone failures.....remember (unless stat tiger can find the stats for it), WHite was a RSFR with LITTLE or no experience playing in real games. So i am not going to blame him the most for not executing in the RZ last year.

Great point. Agree

As athletic and versatile as Nick was..he had problems in the red zone too.. Makes me think it is more about play calls and scheme...and less about who is at QB.

Great point. Agree

As athletic and versatile as Nick was..he had problems in the red zone too.. Makes me think it is more about play calls and scheme...and less about who is at QB.

What year was this? We were awesome in it 2013 weren't we? Between him and Tre mason. I thought we were pretty good with cap as well? But I agree with the play calling part. This is when just going deep and not running slants or intermediate routes don't help. And not utilizing a tight end hurts you

Great point. Agree

What year was this? We were awesome in it 2013 weren't we? Between him and Tre mason. I thought we were pretty good with cap as well? But I agree with the play calling part. This is when just going deep and not running slants or intermediate routes don't help. And not utilizing a tight end hurts you

If we are talking strictly about converting TDs when we get into the red zone while Gus has been calling plays:

2009: 70.73%

2010: 66.67%

2011: 59.46%

2013: 72.13%

2014: 65.52%

2015: 62.75%

http://www.cfbstats....ense/split.html

Edit: Interesting thing about 2013 - we got almost ridiculously better at converting TDs in the red zone as the year went on:

in August/September: 64.29%

in October: 73.68%

in November: 70.59%

in December/January: 81.82%

In 2014, it was the opposite:

in August/September: 77.78%

in October: 69.23%

in November: 50.0%

in December/January: 100% (in the bowl game)

2015 we were mediocre across the season, but there was a big bump after game 4 - when SW came in as the primary QB:

in August/September: 50.0%

in October: 68.42%

in November: 60%

in December/January: 80% (in the bowl game)

I fully expect Gus to read my rant on here tonight. However, if he would just install 2 or 3 basic pass plays to the Tight End and actually use them just 3 or 4 times a game. Wow...what a difference it would make. Gus are you reading this?

Great point. Agree

In 2014 the game I'm going to point to is the iron bowl. Didn't we kick like 4 field goals and still score 40+ points?

I don't know if this is a set up or not, if I answer am I starting an argument or just having a discussion?

I don't know if this is a set up or not, if I answer am I starting an argument or just having a discussion?

I find after too many times of a conversation being quoted it's better to ignore it all.

^^^ We were bad in the red zone in 2014 for sure.

Well we were ranked #21 in the country in Redzone offense in 2014 at 88.68% Just a slight drop from 2013 when were were at 89.47%. That was good for 3rd in the conference behind only Tennessee and Florida.

That's overall percentage to include all scoring whether they are td's or fg's. I would definitely like to see us produce more touchdowns, but I don't see it as us being bad in the redzone, more like inconsistent.

^I'm surprised at that statistic. It sure didn't feel like we were that good. We'll need Cox and Pettway down there this year for sure.

I think the misconception/perception is from the fact that we zoom up and down the field and churn out yards - and then we get to the 20 and don't do that anymore. Drives where you gash the opponent always feel like they are going to end in a touchdown, so when they don't it feels discouraging.

^I'm surprised at that statistic. It sure didn't feel like we were that good. We'll need Cox and Pettway down there this year for sure.

Because we all remember the end of the season in 2014. A&M, UGA, and Bama were not good for us. We were solid early in the year.

Because we all remember the end of the season in 2014. A&M, UGA, and Bama were not good for us. We were solid early in the year.

More than a two letter difference between Alabama A&M and Alabama....but we could have picked up a couple more wins with TDs instead of FGs when we got to the red zone. Hoping for better things....maybe some passes to the TE....like in the days of 43.

I think the misconception/perception is from the fact that we zoom up and down the field and churn out yards - and then we get to the 20 and don't do that anymore. Drives where you gash the opponent always feel like they are going to end in a touchdown, so when they don't it feels discouraging.

As it should. No reason to be able to gash the Alabama's of the world, only to come up with three points multiple times. Especially when we are within the opponents 1o yard line.

As it should. No reason to be able to gash the Alabama's of the world, only to come up with three points multiple times. Especially when we are within the opponents 1o yard line.

Technically elite defenses are even better when the field gets shorter, but your point remains. We gotta score.

Technically elite defenses are even better when the field gets shorter, but your point remains. We gotta score.

we had first and goal many times. We usually wasted first down. That is the only time I really criticize Gus..

As it relates to redzone production.

And aside from Cam being Cam..

I recall a discussion when Newton was having success that a qb threat as a runner equates to an extra blocker.

Instead of a qb handing off the ball and standing there, the rest of the offense was able to put a "hat on a hat" and the qb as a runner only has to beat his man..

That to me, seems like a recipe for redzone success.

Use the tight end more, sure why not.

But I think until Gus gets his dual threat guy, our red zone production will be more cuteness, gimmicks and heart ache.

The biggest component of red zone success is the O-Line. You need them to both make holes and get a good push. If they get pushed back or can't open a gap, then you are left scrambling for the edges which are a lot harder to get when the whole defense is within 20 yards of the ball.

Cam gave us an advantage because he could use sheer power to blast through a defender. Jeremy is the closest thing we have to that, at the moment, and he doesn't really seem to like contact.

In Nicks case, the extra running option helped a few times, if we could get the defender to bite on the decoy, but in 2013, Robinson/Prosch played a big role by getting a huge push for us. In 2014, especially toward the end of the year, our red zone production shifted to a lot more field goals.

This year, it's going to be on the O-Line and Kam Pettway to make the red zone function... otherwise, we're going to have to hope Franklin can get to the edge faster than the D can shed the blocks from our receivers.

^With our veteran O-line, there is no excuse to struggle. Knock on wood, Pettway and Cox should be here though 2018, and could fit into that Jay Prosch role. Having someone fill that role would've probably beaten the Turds in '14.

So, more on topic, there doesn't seem to be any new news on this qb battle. With Gus' history we will not know until game day and with our current batch the game thread will be filled with "my favorite qb option should be playing over the current starter"

So, more on topic, there doesn't seem to be any new news on this qb battle. With Gus' history we will not know until game day and with our current batch the game thread will be filled with "my favorite qb option should be playing over the current starter"

Any news? What news do you want when the team is not practicing and coaching contact is very limited?

Any news? What news do you want when the team is not practicing and coaching contact is very limited?

let's make up a bunch of fake news. I hear Bo Jackson will be Auburns new OC after Lashlee leaves next year for a head coaching job at the University of Texas.

On the good news front, Gus has had far more success when he waited until Fall to name a starter than when he named a starter in the Spring.

Archived