New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

He doesn't have a history of bad behavior. He had one incident, that was dropped and unproven.

Just a reminder that our coaches rarely have access to Juvie records.so we don't know what we don't know.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't have a history of bad behavior. He had one incident, that was dropped and unproven.

That's all well and good to ease our minds. It's meaningless to anyone outside our program.

And that's my point as well. I think you have to stay away from it, as a policy. To me, the risk outweighs the advantages.

To me, Gus would be foolish not to press hard after EJ. His job is at stake, and if we get even adequate QB play, we should be fine.

not worth it imo. I just don't think he's skilled enough to look past this charge. Legit charge or not. Just like AU80Cruiser said....the commentators will mention it every. single. game. And we already have a bad reputation nationally, there's no sense to add to it IMO especially when the guy isn't some freak next level talent.

Back in 2014...

Malzahn was specifically asked if Auburn has a zero tolerance policy toward domestic violence.

"There's no doubt about that," Malzahn said. "I would expect that most programs around the country have that."

Malzahn also indicated that Auburn would not sign a recruit with a history of domestic violence.

"There's no doubt," Malzahn said. "You don't go there."

Great stance right there and I remember when he said that.

.....and then it came out that we were still recruiting Jonathan Taylor at that time or after :slapfh:/> .

Taylor was the only one who said AU was interested, not AU. The quote above was made at a presser 2 or 3 days after the Taylor tweet/article appeared. It was a direct response by Gus to a reporter's question about whether we were recruiting Taylor. So unless you think he was lying, it's pretty clear Gus said we were not recruiting him. That ended it for all intents and purposes. The media had tried to make a big issue about this to score anti-AU points, then bama signed him, lol.

That's all well and good to ease our minds. It's meaningless to anyone outside our program.

And that's my point as well. I think you have to stay away from it, as a policy. To me, the risk outweighs the advantages.

Agree

To me, Gus would be foolish not to press hard after EJ. His job is at stake, and if we get even adequate QB play, we should be fine.

In a situation like this, it probably won't be up to Gus' sole discretion anyway. I understand his job might be on the line, but that's a slippery slope to start basing decisions on.

In a situation like this, it probably won't be up to Gus' sole discretion anyway. I understand his job might be on the line, but that's a slippery slope to start basing decisions on.

until a player publicly announced intent to transfer any press to recruit would be a stiff violation I would imagine. I think we gonna roll with what we got.

not worth it imo. I just don't think he's skilled enough to look past this charge. Legit charge or not. Just like AU80Cruiser said....the commentators will mention it every. single. game. And we already have a bad reputation nationally, there's no sense to add to it IMO especially when the guy isn't some freak next level talent.

Back in 2014...

Malzahn was specifically asked if Auburn has a zero tolerance policy toward domestic violence.

"There's no doubt about that," Malzahn said. "I would expect that most programs around the country have that."

Malzahn also indicated that Auburn would not sign a recruit with a history of domestic violence.

.....and then it came out that we were still recruiting Jonathan Taylor at that time or after :slapfh:/> .

Taylor was the only one who said AU was interested, not AU. The quote above was made at a presser 2 or 3 days after the Taylor tweet/article appeared. It was a direct response by Gus to a reporter's question about whether we were recruiting Taylor. So unless you think he was lying, it's pretty clear Gus said we were not recruiting him. That ended it for all intents and purposes. The media had tried to make a big issue about this to score anti-AU points, then bama signed him, lol.

Actually, insiders here said we were recruiting Taylor. Also, Gus didn't say we weren't recruiting Taylor. First of all, that would be a violation. Second of all, he said, "You don't go there", and it was a general question about recruits with a history of domestic violence. That's rather ambiguous and is in no way a denial that we ever recruited Taylor after the incident.

Back in 2014...

Actually, insiders here said we were recruiting Taylor. Also, Gus didn't say we weren't recruiting Taylor. First of all, that would be a violation. Second of all, he said, "You don't go there", and it was a general question about recruits with a history of domestic violence. That's rather ambiguous and is in no way a denial that we ever recruited Taylor after the incident.

This. RG was recruiting Taylor hard though.

Back in 2014...

Yup.

My memory isn't the best, but I seem to recall a thread on Taylor here before the Ray Rice thing even happened. I could be wrong though.

Back in 2014...

I'm not talking about message board fodder as evidence. Yes, the reporter could not ask about Taylor by name but referred to "recent articles" so Gus could answer and everybody in the room knew who and what he was asking about. Gus said "you don't go there", period. That includes Taylor who was the hot topic of the day.

I think risk outweighs reward when talking about Jenkins. Even if he never played it would be brought up every game from the announcers. I say we roll with what we got.

Now we have ppl saying Garner recruited Taylor hard. If anybody has evidence of that, other than message board fodder, post it because we would like to see it. The reporter sure didn't have that evidence and when asked directly, Gus denied it and said we wouldn't go there.

I understand, but when your job is on the line if you don't win, you will roll with whom-ever gets you the most W's.

Gus has proven he will give second and third chances. It worked with Cam and Nick, it didn't work with Duke.

Please don't worry about what-ever reporter will say what-ever. Some won't compliment AU Reguardless of what we do!

I'm not talking about message board fodder as evidence. Yes, the reporter could not ask about Taylor by name but referred to "recent articles" so Gus could answer it and everybody in the room knew what he was asking about. Gus said "you don't go there", period. That includes Taylor.

And you have every right to take that as confirmation that we didn't recruit Taylor at all after his arrest, but even a modicum of healthy cynicism would lead one to withhold that assumption. To begin with, there is honesty, and then there is college football coach honesty, and rarely the twain shall meet. Remember, if Arkansas State fans think Gus is a one and done kind of guy, then they don't know him very well. Secondly, it doesn't matter what everybody in the room knew he was intimating. He didn't actually have to say it and he will forever have plausible deniability because of that. He wasn't in a court of law and he wasn't asked a direct question.

Oh, one other tidbit: Rodney Garner recruited Taylor to UGA. That's about as much evidence- along with Taylor's quotes and 247's subsequent report- that we were recruiting him as Malzahn's deft quote was that we weren't.

^This. MSU is letting a guy in who really DID commit domestic violence.

Has he said that he wanted to transfer? What's fueling this if he hasn't even indicated so? I'm confused.

I understand, but when your job is on the line if you don't win, you will roll with whom-ever gets you the most W's.

Gus has proven he will give second and third chances. It worked with Cam and Nick, it didn't work with Duke.

Please don't worry about what-ever reporter will say what-ever. Some won't compliment AU Reguardless of what we do!

Neither Cam nor Nick allegedly hit a woman.

I agree. I definitely want to win and shouldn't care what other people say about Auburn.

My main issue is say he comes in and doesn't do well... Then we either ride it out or scramble to find a new QB, same as 2015. Then comes 2017, no QB with experience once again because Jenkins is gone.

Neither Cam nor Nick allegedly hit a woman.

That's what all of this is about, the difference in crimes charged. It's about Gus claiming no tolerance less than 2 years ago, now we are looking at someone with a dark cloud surrounding them. It's simply not worth being vilified all season IMO.

I'm not talking about message board fodder as evidence. Yes, the reporter could not ask about Taylor by name but referred to "recent articles" so Gus could answer it and everybody in the room knew what he was asking about. Gus said "you don't go there", period. That includes Taylor.

And you have every right to take that as confirmation that we didn't recruit Taylor at all after his arrest, but even a modicum of healthy cynicism would lead one to withhold that assumption. To begin with, there is honesty, and then there is college football coach honesty, and rarely the twain shall meet. Remember, if Arkansas State fans think Gus is a one and done kind of guy, then they don't know him very well. Secondly, it doesn't matter what everybody in the room knew he was intimating. He didn't actually have to say it and he will forever have plausible deniability because of that. He wasn't in a court of law and he wasn't asked a direct question.

Oh, one other tidbit: Rodney Garner recruited Taylor to UGA. That's about as much evidence- along with Taylor's quotes and 247's subsequent report- that we were recruiting him as Malzahn's deft quote was that we weren't.

Money post right here

Then you have no direct evidence, only speculation. Until you do, I will go with the man who knows for sure, that would be Gus. I am a skeptic in general but I have to have evidence before I am going to call a man a liar. There is way too much speculation going on in today's media and fan bases.

Archived