New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

I don't care what bammers or the other SEC guys say about AU but as an AU graduate I do care how AU is perceived by the public at large. The school has spent a lot of money to raise it's academic reputation and general reputation among universities in the US.

What bothers me is seeing that effort dashed by a few "win at any cost" people willing to sell the reputation of the university in hopes the school can win another football game or two with athletes who could not normally qualify for admittance to Auburn based on their academic accomplishments while in HS...or who manage to keep their legal issues confined to misdemeanor status.

AMEN. I agree with you 100%. But you do realize that the AU football program jumped the "don't damage the reputation of the university" shark long, long ago right? In terms of athletics, AU is a football factory and has been for many decades.

wde

You have to draw a line somewhere.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care what bammers or the other SEC guys say about AU but as an AU graduate I do care how AU is perceived by the public at large. The school has spent a lot of money to raise it's academic reputation and general reputation among universities in the US.

What bothers me is seeing that effort dashed by a few "win at any cost" people willing to sell the reputation of the university in hopes the school can win another football game or two with athletes who could not normally qualify for admittance to Auburn based on their academic accomplishments while in HS...or who manage to keep their legal issues confined to misdemeanor status.

AMEN. I agree with you 100%. But you do realize that the AU football program jumped the "don't damage the reputation of the university" shark long, long ago right? In terms of athletics, AU is a football factory and has been for many decades.

wde

Where is the line in your opinion at this point? I have already posted that I was against signing Cam and Nick (I was also against signing Trigger Tray Matthews as well). Did you oppose signing them? But I also understand the AU football program so I will cheer for whomever we put on the field on Saturday.

wde

I understand, but when your job is on the line if you don't win, you will roll with whom-ever gets you the most W's.

Gus has proven he will give second and third chances. It worked with Cam and Nick, it didn't work with Duke.

Please don't worry about what-ever reporter will say what-ever. Some won't compliment AU Reguardless of what we do!

I agree. I definitely want to win and shouldn't care what other people say about Auburn.

My main issue is say he comes in and doesn't do well... Then we either ride it out or scramble to find a new QB, same as 2015. Then comes 2017, no QB with experience once again because Jenkins is gone.

True, I feel coaches may be thinking they have to take a chance at this point.

Coaches who for the most part just "hired guns" willing to sacrifice the reputation of Auburn to enhance their careers......And if It hits the fan they just move along leaving others to clean up their trash....a frequent problem and scarier still that some alums are willing to support that kind of thing.7

I understand, but when your job is on the line if you don't win, you will roll with whom-ever gets you the most W's.

Gus has proven he will give second and third chances. It worked with Cam and Nick, it didn't work with Duke.

Please don't worry about what-ever reporter will say what-ever. Some won't compliment AU Reguardless of what we do!

Neither Cam nor Nick allegedly hit a woman.

I trust Gus, if you don't, you have every right not to. This whole thing started with statements like: Jenkins has a history of this...why take a chance on someone with his history etc...

Jenkins does not have a history of this, he has not been a problem child and he has already earned his degree. The police were called by a third party that over heard an argument, not the women. He cooperated fully with police, the same women did not press charges, it was a third degree misdemeanor, not some kind of a felony.

Gus and staff have a very good moral compass (one of the better in the country) I trust Gus on this one, again, if you don't you have every right.

It seems to me people are more worried about: Oh what will the media say? What will the updykes say? What will BSPN say? What will Verne say?

As we all know, the above mentioned will not say anything positive about AU anyway, so who cares?

I'm not worried about what people will say if Auburn takes Jenkins. I'm concerned about what would happen if Jenkins were to get in trouble after enrolling at Auburn for anything related to domestic abuse. I'm worried about what I'm communicating to my female students when I recruit guys accused of domestic violence. The reality is that domestic abuse is a hot button issue. Its a talking point on every college campus across America, and schools are taking measures everywhere to ensure that their students, particularly female students are safe. He could be a great kid. He might not have anger management issues or problems with women. He probably wouldn't get in any trouble at all. I'm not arguing that he would, although he is under court order to avoid the accuser, attend school full time and attend counseling. He's not coming without some strings attached, despite the charges being dropped. They were dropped conditionally.

However, if God-forbid he were to be accused, charged, or convicted of domestic abuse by a female student, the University now looks like it is enabling abusers, and knowingly making Auburn a less safe environment for its female students. Thats the narrative. We wouldn't be talking about how this hurt us in recruiting, we would be talking about how this hurts the University because now its having to defend itself to students, faculty, parents, prospective students, not to mention the victim and the entire national media.

Granted, that's a worse case scenario, but what's the best case scenario? We win a couple more football games? Does anyone believe that Eli Jenkins would bring Auburn a title? If you think he would, would you be willing to forgive more serious transgressions?

I just don't get this "win more football games, who cares" mentality. It's not all about winning football games. I didn't even attend Auburn University but looking at this from the prospective of the University, its a bad move.

All of this. For full disclosure I was not in favor of us signing Cam nor Nick either based on their previous issues. Cam in his one season at AU managed to stay out of trouble though so that is good.

Guys, you're letting your emotions run away with this one just a little. Again, we are talking about a 3rd° misdemeanor from an athlete that's already earned his degree before his senior year. Let's keep our heads in the game on this one. No one was beat up, no one was hurt, no one was kicked. 3rd° misdemeanor and the charges were dropped. This is a clean-cut kid, we have clean-cut coaches. All is good. War Eagle!

Coaches who for the most part just "hired guns" willing to sacrifice the reputation of Auburn to enhance their careers......And if It hits the fan they just move along leaving others to clean up their trash....a frequent problem and scarier still that some alums are willing to support that kind of thing.7

True. But who has been the last coach at AU that has not been a hired gun (at least in terms of the football program). Heck, Gus can walk right now and still be set for life.

My support for Auburn University is separate from my support of AU big three athletics (football, basketball and baseball).

wde

wde

Where is the line in your opinion at this point? I have already posted that I was against signing Cam and Nick (I was also against signing Trigger Tray Matthews as well). Did you oppose signing them? But I also understand the AU football program so I will cheer for whomever we put on the field on Saturday.

wde

I'll support anyone we put out there too. Our coaches generally do a good job of drawing it themselves, I just think you have to draw a tight line on certain things, like crimes against women and children.

wde

wde

I'll support anyone we put out there too. Our coaches generally do a good job of drawing it themselves, I just think you have to draw a tight line on certain things, like crimes against women and children.

So stealing and drug use is OK for you? Stealing is not OK for me. Smoking pot in the privacy of your home or apartment is one thing. Getting caught with pot in your car is just stupid, especially when you are the supposed leader of the AU football team.

wde

Neither Cam nor Nick allegedly hit a woman.

I trust Gus, if you don't, you have every right not to. This whole thing started with statements like: Jenkins has a history of this...why take a chance on someone with his history etc...

Jenkins does not have a history of this, he has not been a problem child and he has already earned his degree. The police were called by a third party that over heard an argument, not the women. He cooperated fully with police, the same women did not press charges, it was a third degree misdemeanor, not some kind of a felony.

Gus and staff have a very good moral compass (one of the better in the country) I trust Gus on this one, again, if you don't you have every right.

It seems to me people are more worried about: Oh what will the media say? What will the updykes say? What will BSPN say? What will Verne say?

As we all know, the above mentioned will not say anything positive about AU anyway, so who cares?

I'm not worried about what people will say if Auburn takes Jenkins. I'm concerned about what would happen if Jenkins were to get in trouble after enrolling at Auburn for anything related to domestic abuse. I'm worried about what I'm communicating to my female students when I recruit guys accused of domestic violence. The reality is that domestic abuse is a hot button issue. Its a talking point on every college campus across America, and schools are taking measures everywhere to ensure that their students, particularly female students are safe. He could be a great kid. He might not have anger management issues or problems with women. He probably wouldn't get in any trouble at all. I'm not arguing that he would, although he is under court order to avoid the accuser, attend school full time and attend counseling. He's not coming without some strings attached, despite the charges being dropped. They were dropped conditionally.

However, if God-forbid he were to be accused, charged, or convicted of domestic abuse by a female student, the University now looks like it is enabling abusers, and knowingly making Auburn a less safe environment for its female students. Thats the narrative. We wouldn't be talking about how this hurt us in recruiting, we would be talking about how this hurts the University because now its having to defend itself to students, faculty, parents, prospective students, not to mention the victim and the entire national media.

Granted, that's a worse case scenario, but what's the best case scenario? We win a couple more football games? Does anyone believe that Eli Jenkins would bring Auburn a title? If you think he would, would you be willing to forgive more serious transgressions?

I just don't get this "win more football games, who cares" mentality. It's not all about winning football games. I didn't even attend Auburn University but looking at this from the prospective of the University, its a bad move.

All of this. For full disclosure I was not in favor of us signing Cam nor Nick either based on their previous issues. Cam in his one season at AU managed to stay out of trouble though so that is good.

Guys, you're letting your emotions run away with this one just a little. Again, we are talking about a 3rd° misdemeanor from an athlete that's already earned his degree before his senior year. Let's keep our heads in the game on this one. No one was beat up, no one was hurt, no one was kicked. 3rd° misdemeanor and the charges were dropped. This is a clean-cut kid, we have clean-cut coaches. All is good. War Eagle!

Never said he was a bad kid. He could be a great guy. I think I've explained my position fairly well though.

What was his third degree domestic violence charge for? Third degree assault can be a third degree domestic violence charge. I'm just saying, it could have been for assault, which would involve someone getting hurt. Anyway, it's all speculation from that point. i am curious why the court ordered him to receive counseling.

wde

wde

So stealing and drug use is OK for you? Stealing is not OK for me. Smoking pot in the privacy of your home or apartment is one thing. Getting caught with pot in your car is just stupid, especially when you are the supposed leader of the AU football team.

wde

Never said that. Just listed the three things I would definitely draw a hard line on. The Alabama criminal code is very, very long. I couldn't possibly comment on everything in it. I just think if you hit a woman or a child there should be no tolerance, excusing self defense, or any other affirmative defense recognized by the law.

wde

wde

wde

Never said that. Just listed the three things I would definitely draw a hard line on. The Alabama criminal code is very, very long. I couldn't possibly comment on everything in it. I just think if you hit a woman or a child there should be no tolerance, excusing self defense, or any other affirmative defense recognized by the law.

Fair response. Thanks.

wde

wde

wde

Fair response. Thanks.

No problem. I also think theft and drugs should be taken seriously, and also be evaluated on a case by case basis.

JGT's claim to fame is checking flightware and exposing JetGate in 2003. That was certainly a scoop and well done for him. Since then, he has been made out to be some super inside information person (self promoted on his failed attempt at web site hosting). He also childishly wrote a column or blog several years ago bitching about AU cutting off food service during a football game before the game ended because his fat butt didn't get enough free food to eat prior to being cut off.

Yes, I have a problem with JGT. He is no better or worse than PM.

wde

The first half of what he you said was Hoke not JGT. At least since he has owned the AU Rivals site he has never self promoted himself like Hoke did. He's also never promoted himself any more than PM or MM either in that time.

As for the food thing I don't know about that but I can tell you I work in the press box every game & have for 4 years. There is food up there for the media but I have never seen JGT come up. He is always on the field doing work.

Lastly on the Web Hosting, AU Rivals is the most active & likely largest AU premium site. Granted he inherited that mass but he has done well to maintain it.

The guy you are talking about & the man I know are 2 quite different people. It's possible JGT was the man you claim but people can & do evolve. If he can change it may be good to let go of old grudges.

He said he'd love to play for us. Gus pretty much messed up evaluating the guy.

Yep! I wanted Lamar badly. Never thought he'd be as good as he has done thus far but I wanted a DT QB in that class and his tape looked decent enough as a passer.

Smh. That dude needs to learn how to throw and we'll have something here. I see why they would go out of their way to get him ready

Smh. That dude needs to learn how to throw and we'll have something here. I see why they would go out of their way to get him ready

I still maintain my original thought on Franklin: He gets his shot to earn the job, and they find a way to use that speed if he's not the starting QB. That's too much speed to have not recruited him heavily for an offense that loves sweeps. Franklin was the only real reason I bothered to watch A-Day.

Archived