New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Triple option? Wing T? Power I? There are solutions people!

Unfortunately, none of those are solutions unless your QB is enough of a passing threat to scare the defense into not loading the box.

This guy disagrees....

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, none of those are solutions unless your QB is enough of a passing threat to scare the defense into not loading the box.

Additionally, if Gus were to continue to pigeon hole himself as a DT/option QB only coach, in the future we become a school like GT that can't recruit good OL, QBs or WRs at all. Bottom line, Gus is supposed to be an O mastermind/guru. IF that is true, then he can surely recruit and develop and HS QB to make "his offense" work. By "his offense", I mean that all of us AU alumni and fans have bought into the legend that Gus' offensive mind is so masterful that "his offense" is not dependent on any particular type of QB to make it effective in the SEC. So, it will be interesting to see how many drop back type of QBs versus DT QBs we sign in the next few Gus recruiting classes.

wde

I forgot my sarcasm font. This was a desperate attempt at showing the desperation of our situation in a comical light.

10-4. Thanks. One can never tell on the AU boards where the line is drawn with delusion/sarcasm versus reality.

wde

This guy disagrees....

1983 AU vs. UGA. AU won 13-7. How many games do you think we can win this year when scoring 13 points?

Does anyone have any update on Queen's injury from Spring practice? Has he healed, is he healing? Will his shoulder at least be physically sound by Fall practice so that he is at least another option for competition?

Does anyone have any update on Queen's injury from Spring practice? Has he healed, is he healing? Will his shoulder at least be physically sound by Fall practice so that he is at least another option for competition?

No, but Gus said, in his interview yesterday, that we have 3 guys vying for the start, so that tells me Queen is out of that race.

I will try and find out next week when I am in Auburn.

Still believe (and I have some inside info), that if the QB job was decided today, Sean White would be the QB.

Does not mean that is the way it shakes out in the end, but I will be surprised if he is not the starter Sept. 3rd.

My source says the same thing

You are my source, don't make me a liar ;D:laugh:

LOL...Cannot reveal who my sources are but let's just say that they are real close to the program! :)

Sean White was atrocious in the red zone last season and that continued in the spring game....... I hope that you and your inside sources are wrong.

^Granted, our receiver additions could help him down there. They'll be freshmen, but if Gus commits to a more Tulsa 2008-like offense, White may have what it takes to be successful over the next few years. I'd prefer Eli, but I can see a scenario where Sean can work.

Sean White was atrocious in the red zone last season and that continued in the spring game....... I hope that you and your inside sources are wrong.

Before he was injured he was doing a great job getting the receivers the ball. He cannot catch it for them.

Go back and review the tapes.

Before he was injured he was doing a great job getting the receivers the ball. He cannot catch it for them.

He also has a couple of surprisingly good runs, but Logan's right, he's not a zone read QB. If White starts, the focus won't be zone read.

The tapes have been reviewed. SW is a good intermediate passer. His receivers did fail him in the Arkansas game. This does not excuse the fact that he has been bad in the red zone and also has been turnover prone. It is okay to see the pros and cons in each QB. I promise. As much as the WRs need to improve, each QB has much they need to improve on as well. Also, yes SW should be the QB by default. He is the most polish out of the three. That is about it.

He also has a couple of surprisingly good runs, but Logan's right, he's not a zone read QB. If White starts, the focus won't be zone read.

I agree with that. Sean is a more pocket passing QB. He is not going to wow you with his legs. He can scamble enough to get out of immediate trouble, but he is not usually a threat in taking it the distance.

Sean's success is going to be built around the offensive line and the wide receivers. If they do well, he will do well. Our ground game will be just fine with Jovon, Roc, and Kerryon. Throw a little Cox and Pettway in for good measure.

I agree with that. Sean is a more pocket passing QB. He is not going to wow you with his legs. He can scamble enough to get out of immediate trouble, but he is not usually a threat in taking it the distance.

Sean's success is going to be built around the offensive line and the wide receivers. If they do well, he will do well. Our ground game will be just fine with Jovon, Roc, and Kerryon. Throw a little Cox and Pettway in for good measure.

Yup... that's pretty much what I expect to see come Fall. Fingers crossed for the Line and the Receivers. I think both will be solid in 2017. 2016 is still up in the air.

Thanks bikerider...I too believe Sean to be the best of the three overall and that must be the criteria. If given decent productivity by the receivers and Offensive Line along with some decent play calling, we could be respectable. No one else with experience appears to be really close.

I don't recall SW being in the redzone much. He'd get the team there, then he'd sit on the bench while we wildcatted for 3 yards and then kick a field goal.

I don't recall SW being in the redzone much. He'd get the team there, then he'd sit on the bench while we wildcatted for 3 yards and then kick a field goal.

The penalty for throwing one interception... hopefully that kind of thing won't happen this year.

Nailed it.

Also - red zone has been an Achilles Heel for our team for a long while, with and without Sean White as QB. I don't know that he's bad at RZ or not, but it's not like he's an outlier here.

Nailed it.

Also - red zone has been an Achilles Heel for our team for a long while, with and without Sean White as QB. I don't know that he's bad at RZ or not, but it's not like he's an outlier here.

Gus has struggled in the the redzone at AU with any QB not named Cam. A lot is that is because Gus tends to be too cute/smart in the redzone.

wde

Nailed it.

Gus has struggled in the the redzone at AU with any QB not named Cam. A lot is that is because Gus tends to be too cute/smart in the redzone.

wde

Yep.....as often as not the first down call has been the reason we get stymied down there.

^ & ^^ Very good point. However, what do you think we should call on first down that wouldn't qualify as being "cute?"

^ & ^^ Very good point. However, what do you think we should call on first down that wouldn't qualify as being "cute?"

Something not involving Jeremy Johnson coming in to waste a down would be a start. SW has good enough speed that he could even run a zone read and probably would waltz right in since the D would likely collapse on the RB up the gut.

From what I remember seeing over the past several years, we get near the goal line and then bog down because we start doing a lot of sideline-to-sideline stuff - bubble screens and the like. I would love to see a 2 level crossing route with a FB splitting out towards the back pylon in the other direction.

Whatever we do, I think that Gus should think "what would I normally call here" and then do the opposite. I swear, WDE and everything, but his red zone struggles are probably the most perplexing thing I've ever seen. I'm up in the front of the Gus Bus, but it's like he gets to the 10 yard line and then starts blindly selecting plays in the back of the playbook like it's Madden or something.

"I'm up in the front of the Gus Bus, but it's like he gets to the 10 yard line and then starts blindly selecting plays in the back of the playbook like it's Madden or something."

I agree with everything you posted except what I bolded. I find myself screaming at the TV because our play calling is so predictable at certain times of the game. IMO it cost us the Bama game when Gus faced with a 3rd and 3 on the Bama 33 or thereabouts yard line with little more than a minute left in the 1st half. Instead of pounding it into the line 2 plays to eat clock and probably pick up the 1st down, he throws it into endzone incomplete...line up for FG no good a minute later TD bama, game over. I contend that game was lost because of poor clock management and even worse play calling in the last minute of the 1st half but, that's just MO. My hope is he's growing as a coach because if he's stuck in that identity he wont be in Auburn much longer

I don't know much about what's in the play book but it does seem to me that Gus's offense works best when he had the defense spread out....side to side and in depth too.

Once in the red zone, the D is pretty crowded and harder for any offense to work against. Things that works when the D is backed 15 or more yards off the line (bubble screen for example) don't work when everyone is a few yards off the line.

Gus is a big time offense coach......just saying, that he needs to come up with some kind of better scheme once the field gets smaller where all the smoke and mirrors movement is not useful. Shoot...just do what our opponents do against us 'cause they seem to score a pretty good percentage of the time.

PS...and amen on the clock management issue....he's not much better than Les on that issue.

Something not involving Jeremy Johnson coming in to waste a down would be a start. SW has good enough speed that he could even run a zone read and probably would waltz right in since the D would likely collapse on the RB up the gut.

From what I remember seeing over the past several years, we get near the goal line and then bog down because we start doing a lot of sideline-to-sideline stuff - bubble screens and the like. I would love to see a 2 level crossing route with a FB splitting out towards the back pylon in the other direction.

Whatever we do, I think that Gus should think "what would I normally call here" and then do the opposite. I swear, WDE and everything, but his red zone struggles are probably the most perplexing thing I've ever seen. I'm up in the front of the Gus Bus, but it's like he gets to the 10 yard line and then starts blindly selecting plays in the back of the playbook like it's Madden or something.

WHat i bolded is what i saw too. That includes too such calls as jet sweeps and WR passes. The fact that it is such a short field to me reduces the successes of these types of plays.

Also, although White is being blamed for red zone failures.....remember (unless stat tiger can find the stats for it), WHite was a RSFR with LITTLE or no experience playing in real games. So i am not going to blame him the most for not executing in the RZ last year.

Archived