2 Georgia football Players Jailed Tues Morning for Shooting a BB gun

cptau

They dropped the hammer on these two Freshman early enrollees.

Shooting a Daisy BB gun at paper cups inside their campus dorm room.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/two-georgia-players-arrested-on-felony-charges

Georgia freshman football players Julian Rochester and Chad Clay were jailed Tuesday morning, each accused of two felonies, on charges related to shooting and possessing a BB gun.

Rochester and Clay were each charged with having a weapon in a school zone, and criminal damage in the second degree, according to the online booking site for Athens-Clarke County.

“I’m disappointed with the poor judgment of Julian and Chad,” Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said in a statement. “We expect full compliance with the policies of the University and of our football program from all our student-athletes. Information is still being gathered but they will be disciplined in an appropriate manner.”

Later in the morning, Smart addressed the arrests during his weekly appearance on The Bulldog Roundtable on Atlanta radio station 680 The Fan. “Poor decisions,” Smart said. “It’s something we’re going to have to deal with as a university and a team.”

Both players were booked at 12:13 a.m. and remained in jail as of 9:30 a.m. They were granted a $2,000 bond on the weapons charge after a hearing Tuesday morning, according to their attorney, Kim Stephens. The criminal damage charge carries a bond of $5,000. Stephens said the players will be released after being processed.

Stephens, an Athens defense attorney, said the players were shooting solo cups in their dorm room with a Daisy BB gun, which left marks on the door and in other areas of the room. The way the statute reads, anything that shoots a projectile — “including a straw and spitball” — fits the definition of a weapon on campus, Stephens said.

“Every kid eating with a steak knife in the campus dining hall commits a felony under the statute,” Stephens said.

The current political debate over campus carry legislation makes this a particularly volatile issue. House Bill 859 sits on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal and would allow anyone 21 or older with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for inside four places: dormitories, fraternities and sorority houses, and at athletic events. Everywhere else, including campus child care centers, music concert venues and classrooms, would be open under the bill.

Neither Clay (19) nor Rochester (18) are 21 years old.

Both Rochester and Clay are early enrollees. Rochester, a defensive lineman from Powder Spring and McEachern High School, was one of the team’s top recruits. Clay is a defensive back from Marietta and Peachtree Ridge High School.

Rochester’s alma mater tweeted out a message of support on Tuesday morning:

These are the first felony arrests for a Georgia football player since Johnathan Taylor in June 2014 on domestic violence charges.

These are the second and third arrests of a Georgia football player this spring. Defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter was arrested last month on two misdemeanor alcohol charges.

Georgia’s defensive line has already drawn several suspensions for the opener against North Carolina. Ledbetter is suspended for that game because of his arrest, and fellow sophomore Chauncey Rivers is suspended the first three games after his second marijuana arrest, which occurred late last year.

I don't care for Georgia or guns... But this is just stupid. Kids can't be kids anymore. The stuff we did in the dorms would have gotten us life sentences

They dropped the hammer on these two Freshman early enrollees.

Shooting a Daisy BB gun at paper cups inside their campus dorm room.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/two-georgia-players-arrested-on-felony-charges

Georgia freshman football players Julian Rochester and Chad Clay were jailed Tuesday morning, each accused of two felonies, on charges related to shooting and possessing a BB gun.

Rochester and Clay were each charged with having a weapon in a school zone, and criminal damage in the second degree, according to the online booking site for Athens-Clarke County.

“I’m disappointed with the poor judgment of Julian and Chad,” Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said in a statement. “We expect full compliance with the policies of the University and of our football program from all our student-athletes. Information is still being gathered but they will be disciplined in an appropriate manner.”

Later in the morning, Smart addressed the arrests during his weekly appearance on The Bulldog Roundtable on Atlanta radio station 680 The Fan. “Poor decisions,” Smart said. “It’s something we’re going to have to deal with as a university and a team.”

Both players were booked at 12:13 a.m. and remained in jail as of 9:30 a.m. They were granted a $2,000 bond on the weapons charge after a hearing Tuesday morning, according to their attorney, Kim Stephens. The criminal damage charge carries a bond of $5,000. Stephens said the players will be released after being processed.

Stephens, an Athens defense attorney, said the players were shooting solo cups in their dorm room with a Daisy BB gun, which left marks on the door and in other areas of the room. The way the statute reads, anything that shoots a projectile — “including a straw and spitball” — fits the definition of a weapon on campus, Stephens said.

“Every kid eating with a steak knife in the campus dining hall commits a felony under the statute,” Stephens said.

The current political debate over campus carry legislation makes this a particularly volatile issue. House Bill 859 sits on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal and would allow anyone 21 or older with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for inside four places: dormitories, fraternities and sorority houses, and at athletic events. Everywhere else, including campus child care centers, music concert venues and classrooms, would be open under the bill.

Neither Clay (19) nor Rochester (18) are 21 years old.

Both Rochester and Clay are early enrollees. Rochester, a defensive lineman from Powder Spring and McEachern High School, was one of the team’s top recruits. Clay is a defensive back from Marietta and Peachtree Ridge High School.

Rochester’s alma mater tweeted out a message of support on Tuesday morning:

These are the first felony arrests for a Georgia football player since Johnathan Taylor in June 2014 on domestic violence charges.

These are the second and third arrests of a Georgia football player this spring. Defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter was arrested last month on two misdemeanor alcohol charges.

Georgia’s defensive line has already drawn several suspensions for the opener against North Carolina. Ledbetter is suspended for that game because of his arrest, and fellow sophomore Chauncey Rivers is suspended the first three games after his second marijuana arrest, which occurred late last year.

You can't fix stupid...

Well, If they had done this in Tallahassee, no problem. They'd be in line for winning trophies.

Teenage boys doing something dumb ... Sure, ok ... Maybe get in trouble with the dorm mom and coach.

Felony charges and a night in jail plus $1000's in bonds ... Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

What has our world come to ...

Teenage boys doing something dumb ... Sure, ok ... Maybe get in trouble with the dorm mom and coach.

Felony charges and a night in jail plus $1000's in bonds ... Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

What has our world come to ...

This is a prime example of stupid running up against stupid. The legislature is stupid for massively overreaching with weapons laws and the players are stupid for knowingly violating the rules. If either party had used their heads this would be a non-story.

How in the heck did they get caught? Was there someone else in the room that called the cops? I mean they were in their dorm room. How & why would someone have called the cops over a BB gun?

How in the heck did they get caught? Was there someone else in the room that called the cops? I mean they were in their dorm room. How & why would someone have called the cops over a BB gun?

My guess is an RA or someone like that saw the damage to the room, reported it to student life, and someone there escalated it.

My guess is an RA or someone like that saw the damage to the room, reported it to student life, and someone there escalated it.

Or... Someone calls in two black guys with guns allegedly in the dorms. Unfortunately that's all it takes for escalation anymore.

Or... Someone calls in two black guys with guns allegedly in the dorms. Unfortunately that's all it takes for escalation anymore.

Lmao. BB guns are not silent. Someone likely either heard them shooting or they had the door or window open and someone saw them. Id guess the police were then called (I'd assume because they shot holes in the dorm) and the police decided it was a gun crime. They deserved to be in trouble...but the cops took it to a ridiculous level. It should have been a 'police turn it over to the head of the dorms and let it go' situation. They should have had to pay for the damage, and that be end of story. Unfortunately, cops are probably following protocol on this one. The law states what it states...and likely needs better clarification to prevent this type of gross overreaction. Let's not assume it was the race card that led to it.

I am all for bashing thuga players, but sticking them with a felony for shooting BBs is absurd.

:thumbsup: This is a nonsense charge. I got a BB gun when I turned 8 and both of my sons got their first one at that age. The world has gone crazy!

I wonder if everyone minimizing this incident is stopping for just a moment to realize........

They could have shot their eye out! :)

"Having a weapon in a school zone" is very vague. Bet this one gets settled out of court with very little damage to their records.

Can't speak for what Kirby will do though.

I wonder if everyone minimizing this incident is stopping for just a moment to realize........

It wasn't an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model, though.

Lmao. BB guns are not silent. Someone likely either heard them shooting or they had the door or window open and someone saw them. Id guess the police were then called (I'd assume because they shot holes in the dorm) and the police decided it was a gun crime. They deserved to be in trouble...but the cops took it to a ridiculous level. It should have been a 'police turn it over to the head of the dorms and let it go' situation. They should have had to pay for the damage, and that be end of story. Unfortunately, cops are probably following protocol on this one. The law states what it states...and likely needs better clarification to prevent this type of gross overreaction. Let's not assume it was the race card that led to it.

Yea... I definitely wouldn't lay this one on the police. This is the state legislature overreaching because the way to try to prevent violent crimes with the least amount of thought and effort is to create a zero tolerance law. It's lazy, sloppy governing at it's finest and, unfortunately, there's not much the school or police can do about it, because if it leaks out that they let it go, then some fear monger or some scared of the world type is going to get on the Internet and complain that the school isn't keeping their kids safe from guns.

I don't see why this is a felony charge. I know it is illegal to bring guns on school property but it's a bb gun. This should be held at the schools administrative level to deal the punishment out for this not facing hard jail time. The world has gone PC stupid and people can't use common sense anymore to determine what is right and wrong.

It wasn't an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model, though.

Now that's a damn deadly weapon................................................

Based on this rule Georgia will have to play all the following away:

• Baseball and softball games (No bats allowed on campus)
  • Golf matches (no clubs)
  • Tennis matches (no rackets)

And no steak knives in the cafeterias

I guess it's OK to have box cutters

According to Dawg Nation, Athens defense attorney Kim Stephens said the school’s weapons policy is written in a way that “anything that shoots a projectile — ‘including a straw and spitball’ — fits the definition of a weapon on campus.” She suggested “a steak knife in the campus dining hall” can be construed as “a felony under the statute.”

The University of Georgia Police Department website says, “Weapons come in many forms, and simply possessing one of these objects can be considered a violation of the law.” The weapons policy on the site goes on to say, “Unless an exception is expressly granted…the following items are prohibited on campus:

Pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind (this includes air soft, paintball, BB or pellet guns, potato guns and other such homemade devices)

Knife having a blade of two or more inches

Straight-edge razor or razor blade

Spring stick

Bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon

Nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken

Throwing star or oriental dart

Stun gun or taser

You will shoot your eye out! Have those guys never watched A Christmas Story!

All kidding aside this is just plain stupid. In this situation anyone with sense would tell them to put the dang BB gun up and quit the crap. Arresting them and charging them with a crime? Get real! If we make stupidity a crime half the kids on campus will be in jail and the other half won't be having any fun!

Didn't a certain FSU QB, shoot-out some windows on campus and not get charged with anything?

FSU doesn't have a 0 tolerance policy. They have a 100% tolerance for anyone who can help them win policy.

Archived