Huntsville Sports Radio

tigeraddikt

What the heck is the deal with the UMP sports talk radio? Every morning I drive 20 minutes to work and want to hear decent sports talk just to occupy the drive, but instead I get a real life Erik Cartman who goes by the name of "Arky Shea" and Cole Cubelic being absolute idiots. For real, where did they lure "Arky Shea" from to blabber his blubber? I think CC is a hard worker, but not very innovative or entertaining. Does anyone else in the Huntsville market have a problem with the waste of airtime known as the Cole Cubelic show featuring Arky Cartman?

I have no problem with Cole Cubelic Show (including Arky), I find it entertaining.

9 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

What time are you listening?

Not sure you are speaking to me, but if so ...

I listen in the morning, somewhere between 7 - 9 AM.

I completely disagree with OP (but respect your opinion).  I think Cole has a great show with intriguing guests (Takeo Spikes today for instance) and some decent original content.  Arky may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's ok.  Sure there are segments (box scores, etc) that I don't care for, but on the whole it's a solid show.

Cole has inside stories and perspective that you don't get much anywhere else.  He's got great connections and can break down football like few can.  He can be objective, and he couldn't care less what people think.  Considering the competition, Cole's show is phenomenal. 

Sorry @Never2Yield.  I was wondering when @tigeraddikt was listening.  I listen to 97.7 throughout the day.  I do think Cole struggles at times to fill dead air and transition between topics, but he seems pretty fair on his insights most of the time.  I really like 'Talking Ball' because of the updates that you get for local high schools.  The mid-day stuff between 'Talking Ball' and Finescum is OK, but I usually disagree with them so much that I just turn the station.  Of course then Finescum has his loyal followers.  'The Drive' is pretty good if you get past the Neighbors hard-on for LSU & turd town.

@lkeel75, not a problem.  I agree with your comments regarding Cole, but I like to support the local guys and an AU man, if I can.  I have listened to "Talking Ball" and think it is okay as well. Finebaum is Finebaum, sometime entertaining, most times frustrating.  I can't/won't listen to "The Drive", that Bama Homer Neighbors ruins it for me.

There is nothing on 97.7 that I like.  Talking Ball would be ok, if the host would clear that nose whistle and not eat on the air.  He is also a Bammer, which I can handle, but does affect my enjoyment.  I'm not usually listening when The Drive comes on, but I really don't like those guys.  Their guests are pedestrian, and Neighbors is an over the top Bammer.  Their interviews are mostly "Talk about..."  Give me a break. 

I realize that all hosts have some bias or lean to them, but it's really brought to light when you hear them use "We".  That's one thing that Cole doesn't do and rails against. 

For the market, I think HSV has some talent here and I'll take local over national any day.

Arky Shea is radio's equivalent of Stevie from Eastbown and Down. Cole isn't bad, but its hard to take his show seriously with Arky on the mic. The Drive is alright. Steve seems like a good guy, and I think Wes is hilarious when I can understand him. They also have some good interviews, notably Rece Davis. Wes can't help the fact that he and half his family played for Alabama and had a kid play for LSU, so I don't hold biases against him. I also don't tune into Huntsville radio shows with the expectation of unbiased opinions. That being said, neither of those two shows are particularly good, IMO. 

I do enjoy tuning into the JOX Roundtable. Everyone on that show has a good sense of humor, and even when I don't agree with them its entertaining. That, and they are actually aware of what's happening in the sports world. The same cannot be said for the Opening Drive, which is horrible. I honestly can't listen to anyone on that show anymore. Neither Jay or Al have a sense of humor and Tony has to come in over the top just to keep the show interesting. That, and none of them have any idea of what they are talking about. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, Barnacle said:

I do enjoy tuning into the JOX Roundtable. Everyone on that show has a good sense of humor, and even when I don't agree with them its entertaining. That, and they are actually aware of what's happening in the sports world. The same cannot be said for the Opening Drive, which is horrible. I honestly can't listen to anyone on that show anymore. Neither Jay or Al have a sense of humor and Tony has to come in over the top just to keep the show interesting. That, and none of them have any idea of what they are talking about. 

I feel the same way about those two shows on Jox, with the exception of Tony Kurre.  I can't stand him, and still can't figure out why he is on a sports talk show.

3 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

I feel the same way about those two shows on Jox, with the exception of Tony Kurre.  I can't stand him, and still can't figure out why he is on a sports talk show.

I don't particularly like him either.

On 7/19/2016 at 3:54 PM, lkeel75 said:

What time are you listening?

I'm listening in the 8:30-9:00 range. To be a little more fair to the station, I do like Thom Abraham's personality. I found him to be a refreshing alternative to Finebaum a few years back when I first moved to Huntsville (when PF was still in B'ham). Still like hearing his take on stuff and his displaced-Yankee sayings.

Archived