2016 Fall Camp - Practice 2

RunInRed

McClain hasn't had a whole lot of hype around him but he is a big dude. Lots of hype around the other guys but being a big target out there could prove to be very useful. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. That's what I think about with him... his intelligence. I feel like I saw him make the right decision with the ball in his hands every time. And you have to love a kid who gets trusted in the wildcat like that as a true FR. I mentioned in another thread that I went back and watched the bowl game and noticed that when Sean fell apart in the 2nd quarter, KJ got the next few snaps to settle things down. I don't know enough about the game to know for sure, but that *feels* like a big deal to me in terms of what he's bringing to the table as a leader and a guy we can depend on. 

This is a good example of some of the intangibles that separate the mediocre players from the good ones, and also the good from the great. Dyer, for example had the physical tools, but IMHO, he lacked the mental (not even mentioning the egregious off the field choices he made). I'm not saying he wasn't good, nor that I don't appreciate what he did for us, but I was never really "impressed", with the exception of the play when he kept his balance in the NC game and kept going.  KJ has "it", and if he stays healthy and wears his weight well, I agree he can be one we remember very fondly for many years to come. 

I wonder if McClain could be an Anthony Mix/CJ Uzomah-type of pass catching option. He's listed at only 208, but he certainly looks bigger.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Woody is not the mix to play this year.

Yes I understand that but, the more practice the better he can get.

Keep in mind- Barber did a pretty good job last year yet had a total of 10 carries previously in his career. We're stringer at RB than most think we are

Just now, Au4life23 said:

Yes I understand that but, the more practice the better he can get.

This isn't the time to give a 4th string true freshman who will redshirt (barring catastrophe) practice reps.  There aren't enough reps to go around to do that and figure out who your starter is and get the 2nd stringer ready as well.

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I wonder if McClain could be an Anthony Mix/CJ Uzomah-type of pass catching option. He's listed at only 208, but he certainly looks bigger.

Mix is who I thought of, too. Or, dare I hope, Marcus Monk? (I'm really having fun with the notion that this offense will mirror 2006 Arkansas's, except our QB will be in the shotgun all the time. They even had a Stanton Truitt/Kam Martin.) 

Wasn't Monk like 6'6" though?

In my mind he was basically a giant.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 1

Just now, mcgufcm said:

Wasn't Monk like 6'6" though?

In my mind he was basically a giant.

6'4 212, according to Wikipedia. I think he had a crazy big wingspan. 

Mix was 6'5 235. I remember Nallsminger trying to put him at TE. 

6 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I think NCM can do bigger things at AU than Duke or Sammie did. NCM definitely has better hands than Sammie did and he is faster than Duke. We do need a dependable wr like DA who runs great routes and catches the ball. DA made alot of big plays for us. That 4th down catch against UAT was as clutch as it gets.

I remember well being in the stands shouting "Throw it to Adams!" because everyone knew that he would make the play.  If Nate is even close to as reliable, that will be HUGE.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, WarEagle1983 said:

Very HUGE! I did a double take to make sure it was really him.

What is his 40 time? He looks like a bulldozer with speed. I think he has potential to be a good every down back.

I'm impressed with all of our students who spoke. They very deftly handled questions about JR. They talked about their own future contributions, but yet seemed to have the team attitude. All of them seemed like pretty good leaders. That's what this team has really needed. Hopefully, we will get some leadership out of the QB position too.

I was so disappointed when Kerryon got hurt last year. He just has that spark, ya know? I hope he's gotten it back and will be stronger than ever. Looking forward to this fall. :-)

Prayers over this team to stay healthy and unified.

Edited by 3rdgeneration

I'd like to hear about some of our receivers last year as well. We signed a couple good guys back then, hope they dont get lost behind the stars we got this year. 

I still could see Kyle Davis vying for starting time whenever he does come back.