Fire malzahn

musicitytiger

I seem to remember several of us thinking Louisville would win the ACC after last year's opener.  Let's hold the praise on that Climpsin D until they've played a few more.  

The JF3 talk....  Clemson had to respect him because he is an unknown.  At some point he won't be that anymore and that respect will strengthen, or he'll be exposed (not the best passer here folks....  Just sayin).  

On the 2012 comparisons...  I think it's entirely possible for the Gusaster to lose the team the way Chiz did.  It'll start with the quarterbacks and go from there.  Another couple of weeks that circus and it's over.  

For he moment, it's not over yet.  All it takes is for Gus to pull his head out of his arse.  

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

First JF3 can run the ball like a champ I promise u that.  The running lanes definitely opened up because JF3 was in the game.  I don't see how anyone could conclude otherwise or not admit the respect that Clemson was giving him. They were scared of him taking off with the ball is why the lanes opened up. Sure they were playing it safe, but they would not have been playing it safe with JJ or SW. This Zone read is a weapon with JF3 in the game and it has to be used. I think a combo of SW and JF3 will be a pretty good option for the moment or until JF3 is ready to run the full offensive package which he wasn't against Clemson. We can win running the zone read and a few pass options for JF3 and win big. That is my opinion.

We did it in 2013. Everyone KNEW we were running the ball and could do nothing to stop us. Problem is the line. The line is night and day different than that of 2013. 

But you are right. We can win by mainly running the ball. We ran it something close to 70% of the time in 13. 

16 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We did it in 2013. Everyone KNEW we were running the ball and could do nothing to stop us. Problem is the line. The line is night and day different than that of 2013. 

But you are right. We can win by mainly running the ball. We ran it something close to 70% of the time in 13. 

Jay Prosch and Greg Robinson said hi....

3 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Jay Prosch and Greg Robinson said hi....

It was a lot more than those two players. Marshall was a straight up zone read master, our blocking schemes were perfect once we'd get rolling and it kept defenses confused even though it was essentially the same play. 

On jf3's first series of the half he probably could have had a 20+ yard run, possibly untouched to the end zone but he let KJ take it instead. We still got a good gain but I'm sure the coaches got onto John about it when they pulled him out. 

I'm going to backtrack on some of what I've said Saturday night now that I've watched the game not under the influence. The offense looked exactly the way it looked with beer goggles on but I did notice confidence in jj's passing. IMO we should give Gus the benefit of the doubt for now. There is no excuse for the constant 3 qb carousel, it hurt us more than helped us. What I noticed through that circus was a very frustrated look on Sean White's face and Bo Jackson's also. This is just my opinion but I think if we make a HC change we will see a repeat of the 70's. I've been saying this since Saban won his first IB and we through Tubs to the curb, "Auburn needs to focus on Auburn", and that is exactly what we need to do. Auburn needs stability,period.

Why do you make such a big deal of who's gonna start and you run an asinine 3-qb system? Why do you then insist on doing that in the next game and more than likely for the rest of the season? I honestly believed that him being more involved would be a benefit. He and of course Auburn has a SERIOUS problem.

1st half of the game was forgettable. 2nd half was actually pretty good. Missed opportunities, underthrown passes, overthrown passes cost us at least 13, possibly 21 pts. CGM made the mistake of thinking too much trickeration would cause confusion for Clemson but it backfired. 2nd half looked promising. I'm not a FB coach so I won't offer up a solution but I think it's way too soon to give up on CGM. JMO

War Eagle! 

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I'm going to backtrack on some of what I've said Saturday night now that I've watched the game not under the influence. The offense looked exactly the way it looked with beer goggles on but I did notice confidence in jj's passing. IMO we should give Gus the benefit of the doubt for now. There is no excuse for the constant 3 qb carousel, it hurt us more than helped us. What I noticed through that circus was a very frustrated look on Sean White's face and Bo Jackson's also. This is just my opinion but I think if we make a HC change we will see a repeat of the 70's. I've been saying this since Saban won his first IB and we through Tubs to the curb, "Auburn needs to focus on Auburn", and that is exactly what we need to do. Auburn needs stability,period.

If we do not win at least 9 regular season games including a win over either uga or bammer then Gus deserves to be fired.  However, having Jay Jacobs make another football head coach hire is too risky.  Fire JJ 1st.  Hire a competent AD. Then fire Gus and fix the football program.

wde

20 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Having cooled off a day later, I can say this.......

what at we saw last night was a complete cluster****.  We could have selected any 5A HS coach to lead the O this week and have been better off.  I've never seen a coach work so hard to sabotage his own offense.  Even if we hired briles as oc, we'd still have to deal w/ Gus being a risk to pull this kind of crap.

in my opinion, Gus has either cracked, been affected by an illness/injury (head related), or he doesn't want to win.  He's a brilliant coach, but something happened and it is crystal clear.  I'm not sure he can be fixed.........

I'll watch the D this season in hopes they are able to keep fighting, but I may have to look away when the offense is on the field.  I can't see this getting turned around this season, I hope you all are prepared

Sadly, I feel the same way. I was so pumped for this season and I just feel like a hot air balloon who's had someone blow a shotgun sized hole in the side of. I guess I feel that way because I cannot envision a scenario in which Gus gets that discombobulation we saw Saturday figured out in time to make any kind of run in the SEC standings. I just feel incredibly let down.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

It was a lot more than those two players. Marshall was a straight up zone read master, our blocking schemes were perfect once we'd get rolling and it kept defenses confused even though it was essentially the same play. 

On jf3's first series of the half he probably could have had a 20+ yard run, possibly untouched to the end zone but he let KJ take it instead. We still got a good gain but I'm sure the coaches got onto John about it when they pulled him out. 

This is where he has to improve knowing when to keep the ball. He had a sure fire big gain on couple occasion that he gave the ball off. The Oline will be fine with us running the zone read. Our 2 guards are a better combo imo than 2013. We still have Kozan and I think Smith is an upgrade. Cox is no slouch blocker, he might not be Jay Prosch in this category but he will get the job done.  

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

If we do not win at least 9 regular season games including a win over either uga or bammer then Gus deserves to be fired.  However, having Jay Jacobs make another football head coach hire is too risky.  Fire JJ 1st.  Hire a competent AD. Then fire Gus and fix the football program.

wde

Yes we should definitely show improvement from last year to this year especially in the W-L column but cleaning house( firing AD and HC) will only set us back. If the qb carousel and play calling continues to lose us games then yes but for now I think it's a little early to call for Gus' head. Let's see where we are in October first. WDE

On September 3, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Oh I don't know... The offensive coordinator/QB coach... Thats who deserves most. Gus isn't the OC. We pay someone over half a million per year to run this offensive s**t show 

Slow down turbo. We just played the best offense we will see all year and held them to their average halftime score last season. We also played the Best QB in the nation mind you. Offensive ineptness is another story. And it IS on Lashlee

Oh I don't know, he has other things to do as a HC than being an OC...We pay over half a million per year to Lashlee to run this offense. If he isn't needed, I'm sure the university would be happy to save half a million...

I'm sorry...when did he get demoted? Gus runs the TEAM. The offensive side is Lashlee. 

Exactamundo

NOT AT ALL

then you clearly haven't read the recruiting thread of that Baylor transfer QB. Insiders say regardless of production Lashlee is out next season and Kendall Briles is going to be our OC.

I respect your posts and generally never disagree with you much, but I have to completely disagree. Lashlee is an offensive coordinator in the SEC. HCs run the team, OCs run the offense. He can't do everything. 

Lashlee is CLEARLY in over his head and our offensive regression since year 1 shows this. He clearly can't develop a QB whist being our QB coach. He clearly can't run an offense....so....why is he even here? 

I agree about Lashlee. He is in way over his head which is why Malzahn said all off season that he would be more "hands on". He knows Lashlee can't handle the OC/QB coaching.  I still think this is on Malzahn.  There did not seem to be a plan.  The OLine is weak all the way across especially the tackles. I was very dissapointed in the guards as well.  You can not change QBs 22 times in 71 offensive plays.  And Malzahn says that is going to be the plan going forward. We may not win a game if so.  Coach John Ray in another thread is on point. 

3 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Yes we should definitely show improvement from last year to this year especially in the W-L column but cleaning house( firing AD and HC) will only set us back. If the qb carousel and play calling continues to lose us games then yes but for now I think it's a little early to call for Gus' head. Let's see where we are in October first. WDE

Firing the AD should  be job 1. Until that happens, all else is just peeing into the wind.

wde

12 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Jay Jacobs has never hired a football coach at Auburn and never will. That decision is over his head at the board level, where two of those members make the decison on who they want while the remaining members are replaced by bobble-head dolls. As far as how many wins we get.....Based on the first game, I don't see us being able to beat bammer, UGA, Arky, LSU, Tx A&M or Ole Miss, do you? That'd make us 5-7 if we won the rest.

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So did AU fire its high school head coach and his middle school OC yet?

AU needs to fire the AD first.  

wde

1 minute ago, TheMayorOfChillville said:

Jay Jacobs has never hired a football coach at Auburn and never will. That decision is over his head at the board level, where two of those members make the decison on who they want while the remaining members are replaced by bobble-head dolls. As far as how many wins we get.....Based on the first game, I don't see us being able to beat bammer, UGA, Arky, LSU, Tx A&M or Ole Miss, do you? That'd make us 5-7 if we won the rest.

Then we are truly screwed if replacing Jay Jacobs won't help because although a nice guy, Jay Jacobs is incompetent.  I agree with you now about the record.  

wde

10 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This is where he has to improve knowing when to keep the ball. He had a sure fire big gain on couple occasion that he gave the ball off. The Oline will be fine with us running the zone read. Our 2 guards are a better combo imo than 2013. We still have Kozan and I think Smith is an upgrade. Cox is no slouch blocker, he might not be Jay Prosch in this category but he will get the job done.  

A little off the topic,but do you think Gus can coach any offense other than a zone read offense?

He was pretty good at Tulsa and his first year at AU running a predominantly pass heavy offense. For some reason it just hasn't stuck this time around. He likes to tell reporters and "experts" that we are a down hill running offense but you can tell he wants to pass as much as possible. It's kind of confusing

23 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

23, did you see my question about Pettway? 

I know you were high on him. Any idea why he didn't get a carry? Was really looking forward to him.

Would like to know your thoughts. 

Much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

He was pretty good at Tulsa and his first year at AU running a predominantly pass heavy offense. For some reason it just hasn't stuck this time around. He likes to tell reporters and "experts" that we are a down hill running offense but you can tell he wants to pass as much as possible. It's kind of confusing

Well he needs to pull out some old game film and see what he has forgot.

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

23, did you see my question about Pettway? 

I know you were high on him. Any idea why he didn't get a carry? Was really looking forward to him.

Would like to know your thoughts. 

Much appreciated.

I didn't see the question but I have been trying to figure out why he didn't get any carries. He would have made alot more since running the ball on 4th and 1 inside the 5 than giving JJ who is a terrible timid runner the ball. I would bet my life KP would have gotten that first down. KP is a solid rb. He is similar to those big UT backs that I saw last night against Notre Dame.

19 minutes ago, kd4au said:

A little off the topic,but do you think Gus can coach any offense other than a zone read offense?

What do you mean? His offense isn't a purely zone read offense. But to answer your question No I don't think he can run any offense other than the ones we ran in 2013 and 2014 which were based upon a zone read mainly and win in the SEC. I think he knows how to coach another offense but I don't think any of his other options will work in the SEC.

However with the right pieces he can win in the SEC with this offensive philosophy.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

What do you mean? His offense isn't a purely zone read offense. But to answer your question No I don't think he can run any offense other than the ones we ran in 2013 and 2014 which were based upon a zone read mainly and win in the SEC. I think he knows how to coach another offense but I don't think any of his other options will work in the SEC.

However with the right pieces he can win in the SEC with this offensive philosophy.

We don't have Cam or Nick Marshal on the roster and Gus whiffed on Lamar Jackson.

wde

Archived