Fire malzahn

musicitytiger

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thank you. Maybe they will listen to you. They sure as heck aren't listening to me. But seriously, Gus needed to be in the phone with Kendall the second the game was over. 

All i'm trying to say is how are we expect Gus to do that when he will not even make the changes to his offense himself when he has been an OC? I'm asking how realistic that is for Gus to do as you mentioned at this point. Should it be done if we have the opportunity? YES! But this man has clearly stated after the mess we saw last night that he still plans to run all of our QBs on the field like a circus show for the next game as well but i'm supposed to think he'd be willing to hire a competent OC and just turn it all over to him? I hope to hell that he does b/c it would be one of the smartest moves he's made. However, we have to deal with this year and he has to make it past this year. Plus, the fact that we'd be potentially wasting one of the best defenses we've had in years...YEARS. So, sorry if it's hard for me to believe that he'd be willing to do as you suggested but again...i'd certainly welcome it b/c he clearly has lost his way.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheMayorOfChillville said:

As long as Gus Malzahn has ever been a head coach on any level, with any team, the play calls are set up like the following.

:Gus calls play.

:Offense lines up its base set while Gus checks the defensive front seven, mostly checking to see where the strong side defensive end and outside linebacker are lined up.

:QB checks with Gus. Gus signals the TE, WR and/or RB to begin going into motion.

:Gus checks with Lashlee on where the safeties are lined up.

:Gus signals in final play, meaning whether to hike the ball or change into a check down based on the blitz and the safeties.

:QB runs play.

The offensive coordinators job during a play is very limited under Gus Malzahn. So is the QB's job, which is something I do not like but that is for another post. The OC does the bulk of his work during the week. He sets up the offense and helps plan the offense and is the man working hands on with the QB's learning the system and preparing for the defense of that weeks opponent. So, he does work and earn his pay check. He just has very little responsibility during play calls on game day. That's all Gus, always has been Gus and always will be Gus. Spurrier used to do the same thing pretty much except he gave his QB's a lot more freedom to audible. Gus runs it more like you would see a high school coach run it. At any rate, like it or don't; that's the way it's done.

Thank you! ^^^He gets it.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

After what I saw with LSU's passing game against Wisconsin, D Craig did not impress whatsoever with Lsu's passing game.  Let's see what transpires next week before we set up the gallows and knot the noose for Gus.

I think Harris is beyond over hyped and it showed. Hard to judge D Craig with him from just one game. Their playcalling is subjective as well. 

1 hour ago, cammycam2 said:

Rewatching last nights game now. The drive in which JJ threw the pick is sickening. The throw wasnt that bad. Really wasnt. The DB went to freaking space to snatch that one up. WHY WAS JF3 PULLED OUT OF THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?! The ball was moving well. They genuinely feared jf3's ability to burn them on the ground. And then we snatch him out mid drive. What sense could that possibly make??

It was like the red sea parted in regards to running lanes when JF3 was in the game. KJ got some of his longest runs with JF3 in the game. That is the only time Clemson looked confused b/c they sure as heck wasn't confused when we have like 50 people in the back filed trying to develop a play. 

Having cooled off a day later, I can say this.......

what at we saw last night was a complete cluster****.  We could have selected any 5A HS coach to lead the O this week and have been better off.  I've never seen a coach work so hard to sabotage his own offense.  Even if we hired briles as oc, we'd still have to deal w/ Gus being a risk to pull this kind of crap.

in my opinion, Gus has either cracked, been affected by an illness/injury (head related), or he doesn't want to win.  He's a brilliant coach, but something happened and it is crystal clear.  I'm not sure he can be fixed.........

I'll watch the D this season in hopes they are able to keep fighting, but I may have to look away when the offense is on the field.  I can't see this getting turned around this season, I hope you all are prepared

2 hours ago, AU_Engineer said:

A little off topic, but does anyone know what happened to Jason Smith?? Thought he would be doing great things at WR this year 

He was warming up on the sideline to be QB 4.

20 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

Having cooled off a day later, I can say this.......

what at we saw last night was a complete cluster****.  We could have selected any 5A HS coach to lead the O this week and have been better off.  I've never seen a coach work so hard to sabotage his own offense.  Even if we hired briles as oc, we'd still have to deal w/ Gus being a risk to pull this kind of crap.

in my opinion, Gus has either cracked, been affected by an illness/injury (head related), or he doesn't want to win.  He's a brilliant coach, but something happened and it is crystal clear.  I'm not sure he can be fixed.........

I'll watch the D this season in hopes they are able to keep fighting, but I may have to look away when the offense is on the field.  I can't see this getting turned around this season, I hope you all are prepared

I think we need to just hand the offense to JFIII and let him do what he does best and teach him to make short and medium throws just enough to keep the defenses honest and make this offense work the way it potentially could. I do not think SW or JJ can make this offense work like what NM and Cam did. JFIII is the best option to make this offense click. If I was Gus I would meet privately with each QB and tell them their role for the rest of the season.

Who would replace Gus if things don't get corrected?

Lane Kiffin - He knows the process blah blah blah Saban etc

Tom Herman - I'm pretty sure LSU will get him before Auburn will

Larry Fedora - I think this would be a good choice.  runs similar offense so he could have immediate success.  Would the Chiz come with?

Southern Miss coach, Western Kentucky coach, USF coach? 

Who you got?

17 hours ago, tiger88 said:

None of them are any good? You're claims are just plain stupid. 

Just thought I would point this out from the article listed a while ago...

QB1 QBR of 19

QB2 QBR of 0.7 (didnt think it possible to go below a 1)

QB3 QBR of 2.0

If this is what you call good, I don't know what you would consider bad... 

White went 10-for-21 for 140 yards while throwing an interception at the Clemson 1-yard line. He had a quarterback rating of 19.

Johnson went 4-for-6 for 38 yards while throwing an interception. He had a quarterback rating of 0.7, which few knew was possible. He also ran for minus-18 yards.

Franklin had one throw, a loss of three — his QB rating was 2.0, which was somehow better than Johnson’s.

Just now, Win4AU said:

Larry Fedora - I think this would be a good choice.  runs similar offense so he could have immediate success.  Would the Chiz come with?

Who you got?

If Jay Jacobs is doing the hiring.  Will Muschamp, Rodney Garner, D Craig. Charles Kelly, Jeff Brohm 

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Who you got?

That was my entire point when I said there are no superstar coaches out there. Not to mention it would take the years to pay off their contracts...

Oh yeah AND it would be JJ doing the hiring...

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Who you got?

Not Lane Kiffin, he's proven to be an awful head coach - see Tennessee and USC.  To be honest, I don't think any of the choices here are going to make much of an immediate difference.  I guess you have to way the bad and the good - gambling by starting all over again?  Is it worth it?  Let us see how this season plays out.  WAY TOO EARLY to start FIRE GUS campaign and look for replacements....remember the Tommy Tubberville fiasco in 2003?  And look what he did with Auburn in 2014 - undefeated SEC champs

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That was my entire point when I said there are no superstar coaches out there. Not to mention it would take the years to pay off their contracts...

Oh yeah AND it would be JJ doing the hiring...

I will defend JJ and say the softball coach he hired is pretty good, Bruce Pearl is doing some big things, It early but the baseball coach could end up being a good hire,  I'm not sure if he hired the gymnastics coach but they're pretty good.  I'd love to see our swim team and womens bball back where they used to be.

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't doubt that... At all... I knew something like that was up when both CDC left and when CHH was hired. Craig would speak his mind, and he was run off for it... Our old OL coach was told he could take an off the field position. I knew at that point something was bad, 

I agree that Craig and Gus probably had differences.  Grimes, however, had cancer and has already had two surgeries.  Seems to me that his departure had nothing to do with "in-fighting."  Yes, he went to join Tubs at Cinci, but that is probably more of a "less stressful job" move than it is a "I hate Gus" move.

3 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Not Lane Kiffin, he's proven to be an awful head coach - see Tennessee and USC.  To be honest, I don't think any of the choices here are going to make much of an immediate difference.  I guess you have to way the bad and the good - gambling by starting all over again?  Is it worth it?  Let us see how this season plays out.  WAY TOO EARLY to start FIRE GUS campaign and look for replacements....remember the Tommy Tubberville fiasco in 2003?  And look what he did with Auburn in 2014 - undefeated SEC champs

Sure.  Based off one week of games I think Auburn can beat LSU, Arkansas, MSU, Vandy, and the other gimmies.  TaMu and UGA is too close to call.  Ole Miss is an unknown.  Bama will beat the breaks off the Gus Bus.  5-3 in the SEC is ompletely possible if the defense can keep up what they did last night and the offense can play even average. 

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thank you. Maybe they will listen to you. They sure as heck aren't listening to me. But seriously, Gus needed to be in the phone with Kendall the second the game was over. 

Seriously? He isn't even confirming what you have been screaming which is that this is all rl's fault because he is the oc and the oc runs the offense and calls all the plays. 23, who is established as connected says here that rl has at times called plays. Gus often calls the plays. Then you jump in like a goofball pretending that this backs up all you have said, when it doesn't. RL is Gus' prodigy and runs the O the way Gus dictates, period. Anyone with half a clue knows this. 

If he brings in Briles he better let him have the reins, go sit in his office and chew his nails until we see what Briles can do. 

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Just thought I would point this out from the article listed a while ago...

QB1 QBR of 19

QB2 QBR of 0.7 (didnt think it possible to go below a 1)

QB3 QBR of 2.0

If this is what you call good, I don't know what you would consider bad... 

White went 10-for-21 for 140 yards while throwing an interception at the Clemson 1-yard line. He had a quarterback rating of 19.

Johnson went 4-for-6 for 38 yards while throwing an interception. He had a quarterback rating of 0.7, which few knew was possible. He also ran for minus-18 yards.

Franklin had one throw, a loss of three — his QB rating was 2.0, which was somehow better than Johnson’s.

Are you freaking senile? No one said the qbs played well last night. You did say that none of our qbs are good, which is a completely unfair statement based on the coaching and playcalling they have been provided with is nothing short of a complete "guster####" with Gus in the lead chair. 

To say that you have some kind of nerve because you attack the qb quality while giving gus a pass and blaming rl for 99% of things is the understatement of a lifetime. 

If Briles comes in and turns the O around they need to bankroll him to keep him here long enough to get Gm's buyout down to a level we can stomach and then go from there. 

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well apparently not because you guys keep repeating the same WRONG stuff. 

I am saying what im saying in direct response to others. Don't like it? Don't read my posts. Simple as that. I don't care if my opinion is popular or not. I call things like I see them...and Unlike some, I don't put blame on the wrong person

Oh, by all means blather on. It is annoying, but quite amusing at the same time.

45 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think we need to just hand the offense to JFIII and let him do what he does best and teach him to make short and medium throws just enough to keep the defenses honest and make this offense work the way it potentially could. I do not think SW or JJ can make this offense work like what NM and Cam did. JFIII is the best option to make this offense click. If I was Gus I would meet privately with each QB and tell them their role for the rest of the season.

Based on his -3 yard pass or how he hands the ball off?  We've never even seen him run the ball one time. No possible way to conclude he is the answer. We don't know if his zone reads were true reads or called handoffs...but if they were actual reads, then he's not even ready to run a zone read, let alone an offense.  For the life of me I cannot understand how so many people want to hand the team to a guy they have never seen do anything but hand off the ball and make one negative yardage pass. Hell, Truitt had more production than JF3. Sure the running lanes may have opened when he came in, but it was not because of anything he was doing. It was because Clemson didn't know what he could do so they played it safe. And guess what, neither does anyone else.  No one here has ever seen him run the ball or make a forward pass in a live game in D1. Not once. How anyone can conclude that he is the answer is beyond me.   That's not to say he can't be, but there is no possible reason to believe he is with the info available. 

12 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Oh, by all means blather on. It is annoying, but quite amusing at the same time.

So you think if we have Watson on our team he finishes at a 19 QBR or below? You think if we have Cam he finishes with QBR of 19 or below? You think if we have Marshall he finish with 19 QBR or below? Can you REALLY say that with a straight face?

Look those guys had talent at in high school. And sure they have more "talent" than you or I... But that doesn't cut it at this level. Sean is in the wrong offense. JJ has mental issues. He has the physical tools but not between the ears. And JF3... Well we don't know. What we do know is that he couldn't jump past a senior who lost his mental toughness. We also know he couldn't separate himself from a 6'0 pocket passer (in a spread scheme.) 

If ANY of the 3 WERE in fact any good, it should be easy to separate themselves from the others. But they can't. Gus playing 3 will cost him his job. But calling for the HC after 1 bad(ish) season and a 6 point loss to the #2 team in the nation is ridiculous. I wish we were on the rant. Then I could tell you what I really think. Alas, I'll keep this civil. And won't stoop to name calling, unlike some...

Speaking of you and name calling... What are you 12?

10 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Based on his -3 yard pass or how he hands the ball off?  We've never even seen him run the ball one time. No possible way to conclude he is the answer. We don't know if his zone reads were true reads or called handoffs...but if they were actual reads, then he's not even ready to run a zone read, let alone an offense.  For the life of me I cannot understand how so many people want to hand the team to a guy they have never seen do anything but hand off the ball and make one negative yardage pass. Hell, Truitt had more production than JF3. Sure the running lanes may have opened when he came in, but it was not because of anything he was doing. It was because Clemson didn't know what he could do so they played it safe. And guess what, neither does anyone else.  No one here has ever seen him run the ball or make a forward pass in a live game in D1. Not once. How anyone can conclude that he is the answer is beyond me.   That's not to say he can't be, but there is no possible reason to believe he is with the info available. 

Btw, that's wasn't a shot at you Doc. Just a response to a general idea. 

Archived