Fire malzahn

musicitytiger

9 minutes ago, TheMayorOfChillville said:

It should. This is HIS offense. This is HIS baby. Gus has total control of it. He calls the plays. He calls the audibles. He calls the shifts; everything. The only thing Lashlee does is watch how the safeties line up and send in the signal. Gus does not even let the QB make play adjustments. They look over to him for the adjustments on the sideline. That offense we saw last night was Gus' offense. He planned every bit of it down to the musical chair system of quaterbacking that we saw. Gus scripts the first 10 to 15 plays! How many QB switches did we see in the first 15 plays? All of that was scripted and written down just like an architect lays out building plans. Furthermore, as long as he is head coach, no change in offensive coordinator will make any difference because there will be no change in the way he has always ran his system. Gus will either get his offense working or go down in flames i.e. Tony Franklin.

First.... If thats all Lashlee does there should be a class action law suit against Auburn for people having to foot his bill.

Next, IF Gus brings in another OC and its still this clusterfrick then I am right there with y'all. 

I just don't see firing him when he clearly is lacking in his #2 right hand man. His #2 is a boy who has no business in the SEC

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I am a sunshine pumper with out a doubt. My take on the game is that on paper Gus had a plan that he thought would keep Clemson on their heals trying to figure out how to defend our offense. This as we all know, did not work. If I was Gus, I would I would seriously consider starting Woody next week.  If the turds can do this, so can we. 

Just now, doc4aday said:

Yes, I am a sunshine pumper with out a doubt. My take on the game is that on paper Gus had a plan that he thought would keep Clemson on their heals trying to figure out how to defend our offense. This as we all know, did not work. If I was Gus, I would I would seriously consider starting Woody next week.  If the turds can do this, so can we. 

Gus would destroy Woody.  That is, if he left him in for more than 3 plays at a time.

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

turds have a different coaching situation than we do....theirs know what they are doing

3 minutes ago, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

Gus would destroy Woody.  That is, if he left him in for more than 3 plays at a time.

I'll have to say it would be a terrible idea. I know i said it last night in the game thread, but after sleeping on it. I feel it would break him (Woody) apart. 

He (whichever coach it is) need to pick a QB and stick with it. That is what was embarrassing last night. 

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

I expect Kendall Brides to be our OC next year that is given the fact Gus is still our head coach. 

23- That's great if he is given control and as much autonomy as possible.  If GM maintains control and overrrides what he wants to do, he will be hamstrung and leave after a year.  GM is a big problem.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

First.... If thats all Lashlee does there should be a class action law suit against Auburn for people having to foot his bill.

Next, IF Gus brings in another OC and its still this clusterfrick then I am right there with y'all. 

I just don't see firing him when he clearly is lacking in his #2 right hand man. His #2 is a boy who has no business in the SEC

As long as Gus Malzahn has ever been a head coach on any level, with any team, the play calls are set up like the following.

:Gus calls play.

:Offense lines up its base set while Gus checks the defensive front seven, mostly checking to see where the strong side defensive end and outside linebacker are lined up.

:QB checks with Gus. Gus signals the TE, WR and/or RB to begin going into motion.

:Gus checks with Lashlee on where the safeties are lined up.

:Gus signals in final play, meaning whether to hike the ball or change into a check down based on the blitz and the safeties.

:QB runs play.

The offensive coordinators job during a play is very limited under Gus Malzahn. So is the QB's job, which is something I do not like but that is for another post. The OC does the bulk of his work during the week. He sets up the offense and helps plan the offense and is the man working hands on with the QB's learning the system and preparing for the defense of that weeks opponent. So, he does work and earn his pay check. He just has very little responsibility during play calls on game day. That's all Gus, always has been Gus and always will be Gus. Spurrier used to do the same thing pretty much except he gave his QB's a lot more freedom to audible. Gus runs it more like you would see a high school coach run it. At any rate, like it or don't; that's the way it's done.

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I do not believe that Gus is an idiot or, that he has forgotten how to coach.  However, I also believe it is undeniable that our offense was poorly prepared and, the overall "scheme" was built on an absurd premise.

So, what's the problem?  I honestly do not know but, from outside looking in, I would guess that the combination of Rhett and Gus is toxic.  I have to believe that they have created their own echo chamber in which ideas are automatically good, or bad, without any serious consideration of reality.  There is always consensus.  No one is challenged.  

Perhaps, after years of battling to be the "the guy", Gus has bought into the idea that he IS an "offensive genius"?  Perhaps he doesn't want to remember the years of being a co-coordinator or, reliving the years when he was a coordinator who had conflicts with the head coach?  Maybe, just maybe, he isn't a genius, just a very good coach.  Maybe, just maybe, he isn't always right, or wrong, but rather, like most of us, needs positive and negative feedback from those around him and, an open mind willing to accept and analyze both.

I am guessing that Gus has insulated and isolated himself and, his ego.  He no longer has the benefit of people around him who will help him discern the good ideas from the bad ones.  All his ideas are good!  The absurdity of such thinking was on display last night.

On the bright side, for Gus, it is more of a personal failure, not really a coaching failure.  It is cliched but, maybe true, there is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I think what we are seeing is the line being crossed.

I mentioned the bolded reference when we hired Coach Hand and Coach Burns earlier in the year.  I posted that I was concerned that Gus has surrounded himself with "yes men" and it could be a detriment to the team.  I was severely raked over the coals by the board at the time.  I didn't think it would manifest itself so early and definitely didn't foresee the QB rotation as the manifestation.  But, as you point out, all his ideas are good if there is no one that he trusts to discern the good ideas from the bad.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I mentioned the bolded reference when we hired Coach Hand and Coach Burns earlier in the year.  I posted that I was concerned that Gus has surrounded himself with "yes men" and it could be a detriment to the team.  I was severely raked over the coals by the board at the time.  I didn't think it would manifest itself so early and definitely didn't foresee the QB rotation as the manifestation.  But, as you point out, all his ideas are good if there is no one that he trusts to discern the good ideas from the bad.

I don't doubt that... At all... I knew something like that was up when both CDC left and when CHH was hired. Craig would speak his mind, and he was run off for it... Our old OL coach was told he could take an off the field position. I knew at that point something was bad, but I was hoping maybe he would name Hand the OC since they were CO OCs at Tulsa. Problem is... Well... He didnt name Hand his OC and...this ain't Tulsa.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I get you although I think the Hand hire is still an upgrade over Grimes.  Hiring Kodi was totally nepotism.  Kodi (who seems like a great guy) should still be no more than a GA at AU.  Gus hired another yes man on O.

wde

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I am guessing that Gus has insulated and isolated himself and, his ego.  He no longer has the benefit of people around him who will help him discern the good ideas from the bad ones.  All his ideas are good!  The absurdity of such thinking was on display last night.

I would have loved to have been in the meeting room when they came up with the direct snap to Chandler Cox and had him spin 360 degrees and stumble toward the line of scrimmage like someone who had just competed in that competition where you run and spin your head on a baseball bat and try to run back in a straight line.

Gus says, "Ok, everyone on board with this play?"  Hand, Lashlee, and Burns all turn to look at Horton who is rubbing his forehead and looking at his notes while he stays quiet, and they all look back at Gus and shake their heads in the affirmative with wide eyes of disbelief at the play they had just seen him diagram.

The play you mentioned with Chandler Cox spinning 360 degrees and and running straight into the line is actually an old Wing T play. We used it in HS actually. Unfortunately for me, I was the "Chandler Cox". We managed negative yards on it just about every time we used it, and I took a merciless beating in the process. With few exceptions, when I managed to get back to the LOS, I was greeted by multiple helmets in the old grille. If fooled no one then, and it fools no one now. 
I'm still having aftershocks of small headaches just from having witnessed my coach run a play I honestly thought I'd never see again in my lifetime. 

In the latter games, I would actually change the call in the huddle to a give to the FB. No lie. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thank you. Maybe they will listen to you. They sure as heck aren't listening to me. But seriously, Gus needed to be in the phone with Kendall the second the game was over. 

I can see your argument about the OC vs HC.  I'm sure by the end of the year there will be some changes made to the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.  IMO RL will be the scape goat and a new OC will be hired, if Gus survives and I'm with you in regard to not have a coaching carousel here at Auburn.  However, the concern I have is Gus, himself.

Has Gus grown enough, as a head coach, to be able to let go as an offensive "guru" to allow a coach like Kendall Briles to run his offense for him?  I don't know the answer to that question.  Hiring a new OC and not firing Gus would be the cheapest way out of this situation for Auburn.

38 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

23- That's great if he is given control and as much autonomy as possible.  If GM maintains control and overrrides what he wants to do, he will be hamstrung and leave after a year.  GM is a big problem.

Art Briles would leave after this season anyway imo. His son will be our OC next year with CGM still as our coach. I still think Gus is a great offensive mind, however he is in a rut atm with his offense playcalling. Letting Rhett for anymore with the offense is not the answer either. My solution would be hiring Art Briles as an offensive consultant for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

I think the absolute right move here for this season is to hire Art Briles as a consultant like UAT did with Sark. Let him call the offense as the consultant.  GUS is in a rut and has to get out of it.  As to Rhett he has been given opportunity and has been the play caller for our offense at times without success. 

23, It would be interesting to hire Art as a consultant.  Do you think Gus, considering his ego, would accept such a move?  Also, do you think Kendall is still interested in the OC/QB coaching position after last nights performance?  If Kendall takes the job, will Gus actually listen to him?

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Art Briles would leave after this season anyway imo. His son will be our OC next year with CGM still as our coach. I still think Gus is a great offensive mind, however he is in a rut atm with his offense playcalling. Letting Rhett for anymore with the offense is not the answer either. My solution would be hiring Art Briles as an offensive consultant for the rest of the season. 

From a financial standpoint, this is about AU's only choice thanks to JJ's ridiculous contract extensions and raises.  The thing is, will Gus let him run the offense?

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Here's how I see it.  Gus gets a pass for last night.  He may have thought he really had something to combat the #2 team in the country, even if it seemed stark raving mad.  That being said, if the QB carousel continues, after being his biggest defender, I'm going to have to join the move on crowd and say that it's time to see how much it will take to get Herman. I hate the constant coach rotation, but last night was pure high school.

Well get ready..

36 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I would have loved to have been in the meeting room when they came up with the direct snap to Chandler Cox and had him spin 360 degrees and stumble toward the line of scrimmage like someone who had just competed in that competition where you run and spin your head on a baseball bat and try to run back in a straight line.

Gus says, "Ok, everyone on board with this play?"  Hand, Lashlee, and Burns all turn to look at Horton who is rubbing his forehead and looking at his notes while he stays quiet, and they all look back at Gus and shake their heads in the affirmative with wide eyes of disbelief at the play they had just seen him diagram.

This is funny

Nobody wants to go through a coaching change. We all want this to work. But for the life of me.....I have never seen anything like what we saw last year and this with the musical chairs. I am just stunned at switching QBs when we finally get a heart beat. I'm not a coach by any means, however I simply have to believe that this belies rational thinking in the coaching profession. WDE!   

25 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't doubt that... At all... I knew something like that was up when both CDC left and when CHH was hired. Craig would speak his mind, and he was run off for it... Our old OL coach was told he could take an off the field position. I knew at that point something was bad, but I was hoping maybe he would name Hand the OC since they were CO OCs at Tulsa. Problem is... Well... He didnt name Hand his OC and...this ain't Tulsa.

After what I saw with LSU's passing game against Wisconsin, D Craig did not impress whatsoever with Lsu's passing game.  Let's see what transpires next week before we set up the gallows and knot the noose for Gus.

Rewatching last nights game now. The drive in which JJ threw the pick is sickening. The throw wasnt that bad. Really wasnt. The DB went to freaking space to snatch that one up. WHY WAS JF3 PULLED OUT OF THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?! The ball was moving well. They genuinely feared jf3's ability to burn them on the ground. And then we snatch him out mid drive. What sense could that possibly make??

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Are you people here posting this foolishness the same ones that were booing at the game? The only thing shameful tonight is the behavior of some of our fans, both at the game and in this thread. This is nonsense.

When our head coach put that inept a performance on offense, the booing is deserved

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT Auburn needs nothing to do with Art. Kendall ISNA different story

Oh... So you were the 1 other person besides me who has never suggested Lashlee was worth 2 cents? I sure didnt ever see anyone say that until later 14 and 15. I sure never saw anyone else say as much. I did. And got BLASTED for it here and the rant. If course it was my other account. Had to create this one because I lost my account info. Anyway my point is, even during 13 I was saying that Lashlee was a mistake and needed to go. I sure never saw anyone else mention it, not saying you didnt. But it sure would of been nice back then to have someone in my corner... But its ok. The last 2 seasons have proven me correct.

You can't be serious? lol. Well you were reading too much b/c it has been well stated that Rhett is only an extension of Gus and not much more. The credit he was given provided him with more power esp. last year and we see where that got us. Besides last year he's never had any real power with this offense and i simply don't understand how if anyone follows AU football didn't understand that. No different than Spurrier and his OCs. 

Archived