Fire malzahn

musicitytiger

1 minute ago, WeagleAU said:

I've been more embarrassed as an Auburn fan - see the 2012 season - horrendous 

Ok, I'll give you that.  But I think Gus managed to fit an entire season of stupidity into 4 quarters last night.  I'm convinced that he had 0 say so in the defense, because the defense didn't look tainted.  The offense was a joke, and the entire Auburn family is going to have to accept that, because Gus is probably locked in for a minute.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm not calling for him to be fire YET! I'm calling for him to get his act together. But it would make zero since to keep a HC who simply refuses to change and make adjustments that puts our team in better position to win games. How is that ever acceptable? We have all the talent in the world but if we don't have a HC to guide that talent...we're simply going to be losing games with very good talent and when and if that coach gets fired it's going to affect recruiting immensely and take even longer for us to get back on track. Again...i'm not to the point of saying fire Gus but his press conference sure didn't help him any; along with his actions last night.

You guys keep confusing HC and OC responsibilities. The HC hires an OC to run the offense. Its the OC. Why is that so hard to understand. The HC runs the team. Personally I thought the TEAM looked great. Good defense, good special teams, just a horrid offense. Lets see... DC runs everything with the defense...check. Our TE coach is the special teams coordinator and runs everything on special teams...check. But our offense is not run by the OC? The HC runs the offense? That isnt the way it works.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Because Herman has done Oh so much? Their former coach who lit the world on fire is on a hotter seat than Gus.  

There are no open superstar coaches. And that is what we would HAVE to have to even consider firing Gus. I truly think a real OC will make all the difference in the world. Now if Kendall Briles gets here and stinks it up as bad as Lashlee, then by all means. But its just too soon to fire Gus without a SURE FIRE SUPERSTAR coach to replace him. Go give 7 million per year for chip Kelly? Sure. Harbaugh even though he won't leave Michigan, then sure. But those guys arent going anywhere. All firing Gus will do is set us back ANOTHER half decade.

So you really think Gus is going to be willing to bring in an OC? He will not even let our QBs get real training in the off season. He took most of the play calling duties away from his sidekick son and focused more on being involved with the offense. So now we're supposed to believe he'd be open to hiring a REAL OC and stepping aside? That's what he should do i agree but i'll believe it when i see it. The one coach that did voice his opinion about changes to the offense is now at LSU coaching but yet we're to think he'd be willing to step aside. Ok. 

30 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You guys keep confusing HC and OC responsibilities. The HC hires an OC to run the offense. Its the OC. Why is that so hard to understand. The HC runs the team. Personally I thought the TEAM looked great. Good defense, good special teams, just a horrid offense. Lets see... DC runs everything with the defense...check. Our TE coach is the special teams coordinator and runs everything on special teams...check. But our offense is not run by the OC? The HC runs the offense? That isnt the way it works.

Nobody is confusing anything. If you really think our OC has any kind of power in our offense you're completely clueless at this point! Gus clearly told us before the season he was going to be more hands on and involved in the offense..IE he's taking control of HIS offense! Even when Rhett was mainly running the show last year it was Gus's fingerprints all over it. You really think Rhett is having the opportunity to be a REAL OC? 

40 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Food for thought:

If Gus was an OC, how many head coaches would tolerate the musical chairs that he pulled last night?

The offensive ineptness we saw rivals Nallsminger.  What is complete joke.  Even Vandy doesn't pull that crap. 

You are right. The only coach I know is Steve Spurrier. I think Gus admires him too much. But no coach would put up with that or allow game plan.

It's almost like he over thinks it way too often. 

5 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I expect Kendall Brides to be our OC next year that is given the fact Gus is still our head coach. 

I'd welcome that for sure. But why not just give that power to our OC? I think our OC should've been fired last year but i think it's very unfair to put a ton of blame on Rhett at this point as all he is doing what he's instructed to do. It's not his fault that our HC will not be open to new ideas and changes. If you'd be open to new ideas and changes with another OC why are you not giving that to Rhett? If you don't believe in his ability why on earth did you keep him?

Other than the QB situation, I think the gameplan was okay at a few points. Gus and Rhett were lost when Venerables(?) defense punched us in the mouth the first 5 or so series. 

Their game plan regarding QB's was terrible. And they should have immediately come out and set up a run game rather than worrying about which QB was going to perform best. 

But i did see flashes of greatness in that offense. We were absolutely electric with the ZR with KJ and JF. even though JF never kept it, that turned their defense from savages to scared. 

That 3rd and 1 fake dive with SW where he passed it to KJ on the one, was also great. Sean sold it perfectly too. 

Of course I've got absolutely nothing but good things to say about the defense. I did not think we would see such an improvement from them come game 1. I thought Clemson would easily run for 250 and pass for 300 on us. But that our D would end up making some red zone stops and forcing red zone turnovers to make the score look like a lot less than their yards indicated. 

Very pleasantly surprised by that. Can't remember the last time I was more excited to watch our defense play than our offense. 

Most of this was TLDR, but Gus is a dead man walking.  And an EXTREMELY hard-headed and defiant dead man walking. But, at least he can be comfortable with the fact that he died with his boots on and did it his way.

BTW, I've never seen such an atrocious cluster* of an offensive abortion at ANY level of football as I saw last night.:angry:

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

So you really think Gus is going to be willing to bring in an OC? He will not even let our QBs get real training in the off season. He took most of the play calling duties away from his sidekick son and focused more on being involved with the offense. So now we're supposed to believe he'd be open to hiring a REAL OC and stepping aside? That's what he should do i agree but i'll believe it when i see it. The one coach that did voice his opinion about changes to the offense is now at LSU coaching but yet we're to think he'd be willing to step aside. Ok. 

Word is next year, regardless of production, Briles will be OC  next season. Not daddy Briles, Kendall, his OC.

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Nobody is confusing anything. If you really think our OC has any kind of power in our offense your completely clueless at this point! Gus clearly told us before the season he was going to be more hands on and involved in the offense..IE he's taking control of HIS offense! Even when Rhett was mainly running the show last year it was Gus's fingerprints all over it. You really think Rhett is having the opportunity to be a REAL OC? 

Then for the love of God PLEASE tell me why not only we pay him over half a million per year, but why is he on staff AT ALL?

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I expect Kendall Brides to be our OC next year that is given the fact Gus is still our head coach. 

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WAIT?

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Word is next year, regardless of production, Briles will be OC  next season. Not daddy Briles, Kendall, his OC.

Then for the love of God PLEASE tell me why not only we pay him over half a million per year, but why is he on staff AT ALL?

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WAIT?

I know what Briles you're talking about. And in regards to why we pay Rhett...many of us have long been asking that question. He's no more than a Graduate Assistant for Gus. When Gus got questioned or was even offered suggestions regarding his offense we ended up losing our best recruiter and opportunity for someone to possibly help improve our QBs. 

It's not going to do any good to fire our current OC if Gus doesn't change himself. If not, i wouldn't be surprised if he hired Kodi or Ryan Aplin as the OC just because..."they know his offense well." I'd totally be on board with Kendall IF he was allowed to do things HIS way! 

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Everyone heard you the first 1000 times you said this. Repeating it continuously doesn't make it correct, but it is extremely annoying. Have you talked to people who have been to practice and can't figure out what rhett does other than warm the qbs up? He is involved in playcalling during the games, but he is doing what Gus wants, period. 

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'd welcome that for sure. But why not just give that power to our OC? I think our OC should've been fired last year but i think it's very unfair to put a ton of blame on Rhett at this point as all he is doing what he's instructed to do. It's not his fault that our HC will not be open to new ideas and changes. If you'd be open to new ideas and changes with another OC why are you not giving that to Rhett? If you don't believe in his ability why on earth did you keep him?

And to your other comment to me. I had already started so I couldn't quote it. 

First the only part of my comment directed at you was about why we keep Lashlee around... I wasn't insinuating you didnt know who Kendall is. And Are you at every practice? Just how do you KNOW Gus is calling the shots? Why would Lashlee stand for that? He gets dogged for the offense looking so very inept, yet Gus is calling the shots... That does not add up. Or he would of been gone the moment he got his 1st  job offer. 

I don't see Lashlee as a glorified GA. You do realize this is the SEC right? An SEC OC is one step from being a HC. Those 2 statements contradict themselves. 

I'm still awaiting for someone to explain to me why we have a half million salried GA who is in charge of our offense in "namesake only..."

I think the absolute right move here for this season is to hire Art Briles as a consultant like UAT did with Sark. Let him call the offense as the consultant.  GUS is in a rut and has to get out of it.  As to Rhett he has been given opportunity and has been the play caller for our offense at times without success. 

7 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Everyone heard you the first 1000 times you said this. Repeating it continuously doesn't make it correct, but it is extremely annoying. Have you talked to people who have been to practice and can't figure out what rhett does other than warm the qbs up? He is involved in playcalling during the games, but he is doing what Gus wants, period. 

Well apparently not because you guys keep repeating the same WRONG stuff. 

I am saying what im saying in direct response to others. Don't like it? Don't read my posts. Simple as that. I don't care if my opinion is popular or not. I call things like I see them...and Unlike some, I don't put blame on the wrong person

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

I think the absolute right move here for this season is to hire Art Briles as a consultant like UAT did with Sark. Let him call the offense as the consultant.  GUS is in a rut and has to get out of it.  As to Rhett he has been given opportunity and has been the play caller for our offense at times without success. 

Thank you. Maybe they will listen to you. They sure as heck aren't listening to me. But seriously, Gus needed to be in the phone with Kendall the second the game was over. 

12 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And to your other comment to me. I had already started so I couldn't quote it. 

First the only part of my comment directed at you was about why we keep Lashlee around... I wasn't insinuating you didnt know who Kendall is. And Are you at every practice? Just how do you KNOW Gus is calling the shots? Why would Lashlee stand for that? He gets dogged for the offense looking so very inept, yet Gus is calling the shots... That does not add up. Or he would of been gone the moment he got his 1st  job offer. 

I don't see Lashlee as a glorified GA. You do realize this is the SEC right? An SEC OC is one step from being a HC. Those 2 statements contradict themselves. 

I'm still awaiting for someone to explain to me why we have a half million salried GA who is in charge of our offense in "namesake only..."

Because we have a HC who choose to hire that GA as his OC. I mean at this point who doesn't understand that is beyond me. It was the exact same situation when we had Nick and went to the NC game. The main reason we hired Gus was for his offensive mind and Rhett had no where near the experience as many SEC OCs do but we put so much trust in Gus being he did great things with his offensive mind that having Rhett wasn't a problem. However, we don't have the personnel of Cam or Nick so you have to have coaches that can best utilize what we do have and we still have some talented players to compete on offense. BUT when neither the HC nor the OC can do that something has to be done and if your HC is not even open to changes what is an OC supposed to do?

For a pretty good while, folks have said that our problems on offense could be laid at Lashlee's feet.  Maybe that is misdirected blame and the blame should actually go to Gus.  

Just now, tombigbeetiger said:

the absolute right move would be to hire art briles to be HC and have his son be OC ....have malzahn and lashlee man the firehoses and clean out the bathrooms after each home game

ABSOLUTELY NOT Auburn needs nothing to do with Art. Kendall ISNA different story

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Because we have a HC who choose to hire that GA as his OC. I mean at this point who doesn't understand that is beyond me. It was the exact same situation when we had Nick and went to the NC game. The main reason we hired Gus was for his offensive mind and Rhett had no where near the experience as many SEC OCs do but we put so much trust in Gus being he did great things with his offensive mind that he wasn't a problem. However, we don't have the personnel of Cam or Nick so you have to have coaches that can best utilize what we do have and we still have some talented players to compete on offense. BUT when neither the HC nor the OC can do that something has to be done and if your HC is not even open to changes what is an OC supposed to do?

Oh... So you were the 1 other person besides me who has never suggested Lashlee was worth 2 cents? I sure didnt ever see anyone say that until later 14 and 15. I sure never saw anyone else say as much. I did. And got BLASTED for it here and the rant. If course it was my other account. Had to create this one because I lost my account info. Anyway my point is, even during 13 I was saying that Lashlee was a mistake and needed to go. I sure never saw anyone else mention it, not saying you didnt. But it sure would of been nice back then to have someone in my corner... But its ok. The last 2 seasons have proven me correct.

42 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Because Herman has done Oh so much? Their former coach who lit the world on fire is on a hotter seat than Gus.  

There are no open superstar coaches. And that is what we would HAVE to have to even consider firing Gus. I truly think a real OC will make all the difference in the world. Now if Kendall Briles gets here and stinks it up as bad as Lashlee, then by all means. But its just too soon to fire Gus without a SURE FIRE SUPERSTAR coach to replace him. Go give 7 million per year for chip Kelly? Sure. Harbaugh even though he won't leave Michigan, then sure. But those guys arent going anywhere. All firing Gus will do is set us back ANOTHER half decade.

I'm referring to the Herman who just took it to OU with lowly Houston after a very successful season last year.  No clue what Herman you are raving about.

I have to agree with everyone else, if you really think the fiasco yesterday was on Lashlee, without sign-off from Gus, you're being naive. Briles is a far better OC/QB coach, but unless things change from last night, I don't trust he would have enough control to make a difference.

5 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

the absolute right move would be to hire art briles to be HC and have his son be OC ....have malzahn and lashlee man the firehoses and clean out the bathrooms after each home game

Art Briles is a scum bag.  He makes Petrino look like a Saint.  I am ok with hiring his son as OC as long as it can be documented that he did not know what was going on at Baylor under his daddy's watch.  I am being sarcastic about Kendall Briles somewhat. 

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

For a pretty good while, folks have said that our problems on offense could be laid at Lashlee's feet.  Maybe that is misdirected blame and the blame should actually go to Gus.  

It should. This is HIS offense. This is HIS baby. Gus has total control of it. He calls the plays. He calls the audibles. He calls the shifts; everything. The only thing Lashlee does is watch how the safeties line up and send in the signal. Gus does not even let the QB make play adjustments. They look over to him for the adjustments on the sideline. That offense we saw last night was Gus' offense. He planned every bit of it down to the musical chair system of quaterbacking that we saw. Gus scripts the first 10 to 15 plays! How many QB switches did we see in the first 15 plays? All of that was scripted and written down just like an architect lays out building plans. Furthermore, as long as he is head coach, no change in offensive coordinator will make any difference because there will be no change in the way he has always ran his system. Gus will either get his offense working or go down in flames i.e. Tony Franklin.

2 minutes ago, TheMayorOfChillville said:

It should. This is HIS offense. This is HIS baby. Gus has total control of it. He calls the plays. He calls the audibles. He calls the shifts; everything. The only thing Lashlee does is watch how the safeties line up and send in the signal. Gus does not even let the QB make play adjustments. They look over to him for the adjustments on the sideline. That offense we saw last night was Gus' offense. He planned every bit of it down to the musical chair system of quaterbacking that we saw. Gus scripts the first 10 to 15 plays! How many QB switches did we see in the first 15 plays? All of that was scripted and written down just like an architect lays out building plans. Furthermore, as long as he is head coach, no change in offensive coordinator will make any difference because there will be no change in the way he has always ran his system. Gus will either get his offense working or go down in flames i.e. Tony Franklin.

Preach! (Unlike TF, Gus now has no excuses with all his "boys" on the offensive staff)

58 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Most of this was TLDR, but Gus is a dead man walking.  And an EXTREMELY hard-headed and defiant dead man walking. But, at least he can be comfortable with the fact that he died with his boots on and did it his way.

BTW, I've never seen such an atrocious cluster* of an offensive abortion at ANY level of football as I saw last night.:angry:

I agree. Why not blame....you know...the one in charge of the offense? The one we pay extremely well to run our offense.

32 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Links? Seriously, there have seen VERY FEW ever mention a bad word about Lashlee on here. Bottom line in Lashlee is the OC he collects over half s million per season to run the O. Its on him.

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm referring to the Herman who just took it to OU with lowly Houston after a very successful season last year.  No clue what Herman you are raving about.

I have to agree with everyone else, if you really think the fiasco yesterday was on Lashlee, without sign-off from Gus, you're being naive. Briles is a far better OC/QB coach, but unless things change from last night, I don't trust he would have enough control to make a difference.

Raving about? We are talking of the same one. Hermans predecessor +1 was Kevin Sumlin. Who is on a hotter seat than Gus. And it may just be me... But I wouldn't call the #15 team in the nation "lowly." Nor would I call the #20 team in wins over the last 10 years lowly.  Sumlin lit the world on fire at Houston.... Hasn't done so well at A&M, maybe you have heard... My only point to you was that there are no sure fire superstar coaches. And to fire Gus now would be a mistake in so many ways... First it sets us back AGAIN, next JJ would be hiring another coach. Is that really something you want?  Then depending on the hire, it could REALLY set us back. If we were to hire someone who didnt have at least the same style as Gus, our team would be bottom of the barrels for YEARS. Simply for the total overhaul of style. This means you change your style of players as well. Spread players don't preform exceptionally under a pro style system. Or do you not remember 2012?

Archived