Shifting the O-Line

DThriftWarEagle

16 minutes ago, DThriftWarEagle said:

Does anyone think that we may see a couple of players switched on the Offensive Line this week?

remember this old saying from the days of leather helmets....."YOU PLAY LIKE YOU"RE COACHED!!!"

I don't think so. And I'm not ready to give up on our O Line just yet. You'd be surprised at what some stability and a thought out game plan can do to get and offensive line clicking. Odds are, every one of those players was completely confused Sat night, including the line.

I really don't expect it. If we get better games out of Kozan and Smith (two guys that play LG and RG no matter how you shuffle the cards), the whole line will look better. X struggled blocking a potential All-American in Wilkins. That happens. He's one of the three best DTs we'll see this year. On the outside, Leff looked good in the run game, and he's going to need help in pass pro. I think most people (Coach Hand included) already knew that. We don't have very many options at LT. Golson isn't a truly physical guy, but he has the athleticism to play the spot. You just have to hope he gets more aggressive as he settles into the position. I very seriously doubt you'll see movement in the starting group.

19 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't think so. And I'm not ready to give up on our O Line just yet. You'd be surprised at what some stability and a thought out game plan can do to get and offensive line clicking. Odds are, every one of those players was completely confused Sat night, including the line.

I'm with you. When the chemistry on the offense gets clicking, O-line will open some gigantic holes not only because they're dominating the trenches, but because the defenses were guessing and gassed. We need to push the tempo when we reach our [first] first down of a drive. 

I keep saying Clemson's DL is very talented, which they may very well be. But they didn't even have their strongest unit, they were almost literally completely out of DEs going into the game. We are going to be in a world of hurt blocking the edges by the time we start playing our SEC opponents. It doesn't look good right now, things can change though and we essentially have 1 week to truly clean it up.

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Agree. The O Line didn't play well but the QB circus didn't help them either. They were led to believe they had a leader at QB and every 2 or 3 snaps they get into the huddle it's a different QB. The only guy i question and have always questioned is Leff. 

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also, remember that whether they're young or not, Clemsons d line is very talented. That's a tough game to break in a newly formed line.

Clemson lost starting DEs Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd, starting DT D.J. Reader, starting MLB B.J. Goodson, and starting DBs Jayron Kearse, T.J. Green, and MaKensie Alexander to the NFL draft this year.

6 hours ago, DThriftWarEagle said:

Does anyone think that we may see a couple of players switched on the Offensive Line this week?

I have to think improving O-Line play will be critical this week. It may be too early to move people around. It is not like there were any bright spots on the O-Line. I think the poor O-Line play was in part due to the QB shuffle. Each QB had their own package of plays, so there were probably more plays in the game plan than normal, and that probably made things worse. If we simplify the offense, the O-Line has the opportunity to play with more consistency.

6 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

remember this old saying from the days of leather helmets....."YOU PLAY LIKE YOU"RE COACHED!!!"

Hand coached them to miss blocks and assignments? I'm fairly certain that's not the case. Have you ever coached anything on any level before? Players don't execute sometimes, that's what the first half and the third quarter basically was all over the field. Yes, the QB shuffle was madness and deserves criticism, but the coaches didn't suit up and get manhandled for 3 quarters.

7 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

I'm with you. When the chemistry on the offense gets clicking, O-line will open some gigantic holes not only because they're dominating the trenches, but because the defenses were guessing and gassed. We need to push the tempo when we reach our [first] first down of a drive. 

Huh, what is this strange word "tempo" that you've used? I for one am not familiar with it as I'm an AU fan and we go AU Slow. :)

I think we had 71 plays on offense.  I think if we can have 80 plus plays, this will result in enough points needed to win most games we will play. I would love to see Prince Wanego all 6-8 and 290 lbs in the game at tackle to gain experience and who knows maybe a budding young star on the O-line.

I figured a change or two might be coming but after considering the confused offense in the first half, the OL guys had a pretty good alibi for not being able to handle the Clemson D.....and once Gus settled things down a bit after the half, they did pretty well.  

Not sure what Hand's philosophy is but some OCs have a tendency to stick with one OL line and not make many subs.  I don't see any actual "change" being made but I do think some of the back-ups might see more playing time than is normal.  

I do not see ANY changes on O line baring injury. Our best are the starters. 

I find it hard to believe that is the best 5 offensive lineman that we have on the team.    If what has been done before, he plays who he wants to play.   No reason what-so-ever for pettway not to get any carries.   Just plain ole stubbornness or incompetence.  Take your pick

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Need to play Horton for leff

Yep. I would have agreed with this statement before the Clemson game. The Clemson game just cemented that opinion for me. Makes me wonder if Gus wants to reward Leff for all his years of playing instead of choosing the best player. 

It's funny that those who express a change at any position don't know what goes on at practices...I'm sure the same ??? we have, the coaches have addressed the same issues...I would honestly believe the coaches are going to put the players on the field and in position that they feel will give them the best chance to win.... 

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bingo.... I think they give it one more game with a more productive game plan in place. If they struggle, a plan B has always been in place regarding personnel changes if needed. Hard to block 8 with 6 on 1st down. The best way to stop this is to throw the ball more often on 1st down.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Need to play Horton for leff

I feel anyone would be a upgrade over Leff

57 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Yep. I would have agreed with this statement before the Clemson game. The Clemson game just cemented that opinion for me. Makes me wonder if Gus wants to reward Leff for all his years of playing instead of choosing the best player. 

Me too. Ive been saying it for months. Its extremely hard to believe we don't have a better tackle than Leff. It feels like he is still getting worked by Clemson

22 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I feel anyone would be a upgrade over Leff

Me too. Ive been saying it for months. Its extremely hard to believe we don't have a better tackle than Leff. It feels like he is still getting worked by Clemson

Not disagreeing but Pro Football Focus, whoever that is, rated Leff higher than any other offensive player Saturday night. That's a little frightening because that's not only linemen, that's all offensive players. 

Does anyone think that RS Freshman Prince Wanego might get some reps at LT?  Everything that I have read about the young man, points to him developing into a fine LT. He is 6-8 and close to 290 lbs. There are true freshmen at schools who are starting. I would love to see him get into the game Saturday and spell Leff some.  Who knows folks.. 

Archived