Sagarin

DyeCampAlum

For what it's worth, the Sagarin rankings are getting to the point of statistical significance. Right now, Auburn is sitting #17, I'm sure because Clemson, A&M, and LSU are also ranked highly -- and because Auburn hung close in the two losses.

The most interesting thing is conference rankings. If things  hold, the SEC West is #1 in the country by a historic margin, while the East is the worst of the Power 5 conferences/divisions. Have fun....

1  SEC-WEST            (A) =  86.73      86.63  (  1)      7      86.59  (  1)
   2  PAC-12(NORTH)       (A) =  78.34      78.20  (  4)      6      78.34  (  3)
   3  PAC-12(SOUTH)       (A) =  78.16      77.88  (  5)      6      77.93  (  5)
   4  ACC-ATLANTIC        (A) =  77.88      78.24  (  3)      7      78.03  (  4)
   5  BIG 12              (A) =  77.76      76.57  (  7)     10      77.29  (  6)
   6  ACC-COASTAL         (A) =  77.11      76.70  (  6)      7      76.85  (  7)
   7  BIG TEN-EAST        (A) =  76.82      78.43  (  2)      7      78.38  (  2)
   8  BIG TEN-WEST        (A) =  73.77      73.33  (  9)      7      73.60  (  9)
   9  SEC-EAST            (A) =  73.32      74.12  (  8)      7      73.86  (  8)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the link for anyone looking for it:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Not sure I buy the team rankings. Bama below Ohio St. despite 1 more win (total and vs. top-30) plus an overall harder schedule?

LSU above us (by 6 spots?) even though we beat them head-to-head and they don't have a top-30 win?

Sagarin's computer rankings are still better than the coaches are doing, though. Yikes.

I'm also surprised the SECW would be that far out in front at this point given how we all suffered, on the whole, early in the season.

This stuff is fun to talk about in week 5, but I realize it all kind of sorts itself out by the end. A lot of football left to play.

15 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I think the SEC needs some realignment.  Seems the "bar" is perpetually being raised in the west while, falling in the east.

Lots of new coaching in the East right now.  Patience.

Anyone else really loving that the Big Ten is sitting at the bottom? Michigan struggled with a Wisconsin team that LSU should've beaten. Ohio State is fine and will get a free pass into the playoff unless they beat themselves, but otherwise the conference as a whole is pretty bad this season and that makes me happy. lol

11 minutes ago, AURealist said:

You are probably correct but, Phil Fulmer and Urban Myer have been gone for quite a while.  The trend did not just start this season.

I think the question of whether or not the imbalance is damaging the league as a whole has to be examined.

14 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Of course, when was the last time the East had a truly elite team? You have to go all the way back to Spurrier and Fulmer in the 90s. The East has only won the SEC Championship 5 times since 2000, and of those 5 years, only Tebow was able to bring home National Championships (losing to Auburn in the process). The other 3 East teams weren't even good enough to play in the Championship game. The West, on the other hand has 7 National Championships in the same time frame (8 if you want to argue 2004), and was in the game 9 times (10 if you count the ALL SEC game in 2011).

So... how patient do we need to be?  Another decade?

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, when was the last time the East had a truly elite team? You have to go all the way back to Spurrier and Fulmer in the 90s. The East has only won the SEC Championship 5 times since 2000, and of those 5 years, only Tebow was able to bring home National Championships (losing to Auburn in the process). The other 3 East teams weren't even good enough to play in the Championship game. The West, on the other hand has 7 National Championships in the same time frame (8 if you want to argue 2004), and was in the game 9 times (10 if you count the ALL SEC game in 2011).

How do the numbers look if you swap UAt for Kentucky? Or Tennessee? Or any East team?  The past is not the present or the future.  Baylor was a small Texas nobody forever.  Once upon a time Notre Dame had a football team.  UGA and Florida are getting serious - Michigan VERY serious - about winning and I think they'll all improve.

Who would you swap?

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I think the SEC needs some realignment.  Seems the "bar" is perpetually being raised in the west while, falling in the east.

Of course, this should've been a done deal when A&M and Mazzu joined the SEC. Turds wouldn't let the SEC do it, and Jay Jacobs refused to object.

9 minutes ago, AURealist said:

How do the numbers look if you swap UAt for Kentucky? Or Tennessee? Or any East team?  The past is not the present or the future.  Baylor was a small Texas nobody forever.  Once upon a time Notre Dame had a football team.  UGA and Florida are getting serious - Michigan VERY serious - about winning and I think they'll all improve.

Who would you swap?

Oh, I don't know for sure, maybe teams that are geographically located in the SEC West; we could actually put them in the SEC West? Then maybe teams that are geographically located in the east; we could actually put them in the SEC East.

Sounds crazy I know.

It's all coaching and administering. Florida and Georgia have more resources than Bama does. This is just a cycle.

Except... the West crushes the East at the bottom of the division. If the SEC West bottom, traditionally, is Arkansas, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss, compare that to Missouri, Kentucky, and Vandy. Not pretty.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Who would you swap?

Swapping bama to the East would put bama in the SEC Championship game every year, but at least they'd have to face someone who could beat them from the West. Putting Auburn, LSU or Ole Miss in the East would have a similar effect for the Championship game.

The Auburn/Missouri swap that many are clamoring for would help quite a bit with parity.

But my main point was the new coaches aren't the problem.  The East has been dragging behind the West for over 10 year.

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Oh, I don't know for sure, maybe teams that are geographically located in the SEC West; we could actually put them in the SEC West? Then maybe teams that are geographically located in the east; we could actually put them in the SEC East.

Sounds crazy I know.

Ok.  Simple.  Do that.  What have you got?

15 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It's all coaching and administering. Florida and Georgia have more resources than Bama does. This is just a cycle.

Except... the West crushes the East at the bottom of the division. If the SEC West bottom, traditionally, is Arkansas, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss, compare that to Missouri, Kentucky, and Vandy. Not pretty.

Ok.  I agree. The problem is at the bottom.  MSU is once again dropping to the mean.  Bert is on the rise, but he'll leave after one great season if something better is offered.  In the 3 year picture, that leaves Ole Miss (maybe).

26 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Sounds crazy I know.

East = Bammer,AU,Tn,UK,Ga,Fl,SC

West=TAM,Vandy,Ole M,MSU,LSU,Missou

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yeah.  That's soooo much better.  Completely alleviates the disparity. :ucrazy:

14 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yeah.  That's soooo much better.  Completely alleviates the disparity. :ucrazy:

That would be true east geographically vs true west geographically. Probably really help the east and we get Amen Corner again.

51 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Ok.  Simple.  Do that.  What have you got?

Do you want me to state the obvious, or do you have it figured out?

24 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Do you want me to state the obvious, or do you have it figured out?

See above.  Why do you think I asked for the breakdown?  Of course, 'East' and 'West' still beats 'Legends' and 'Heroes' or whatever as division nomenclature.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

These SEC – east teams dug their own graves in my view. Richt seems to be doing well at Miami... guess they are happy that Georgia dumped him. Tennessee might be on the rebound and Florida has been looking for a coach since urban left . That part of the conference is indeed, in bad shape . 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Arky has to go somewhere, or are we sending them back to the SWAC?

And LSU will be licking their chops in that West set up....Vandy/OM/MSU/Mizzou hahahahha

Switch Auburn with Mizzou and drop Bama and pick up LSU as cross division.   Per Saban UT is their game each year. (UF can pick up Arky)

or

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/14/11895556/sec-football-schedule-format-divisions-rivalries-rotation

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Arky has to go somewhere, or are we sending them back to the SWAC?

And LSU will be licking their chops in that West set up....Vandy/OM/MSU/Mizzou hahahahha

Let them stay in west. Swap Vandy for Texas

Archived