Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Based on the fact that our DC is in the million dollar club, I have no reason to believe we aren't willing to match that for an OC.

Yurchich is not proven to be worth 1 million is where I am getting at. Crazy inflation. I will be fine to match him around CRL price though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I wish everyone would worrying about money. We are one of the wealthiest schools in the country and will pay what is needed for the next OC. I think Yurich will get an offer of at least $650,000.00 and most likely more than that. OSU cannot and will not try to compete with us as far and money goes, 

T Boone Pickens would argue otherwise

Pickens' gift remains the largest donation to a university's athletic program in collegiate history. His total contributions to OSU come to over $1 Billion. Over $265 million, or 66%, of his donations have been towards athletics. Pickens also has made substantial academic gifts to Oklahoma State University, particularly to the School of Geology, which is named for him.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

They might, but I think we will go up the pay scale to the point that OSU would be willing to spend. I remember when Les Miles was hired at OSU, he took a pay cut in order to be able to pay his assistants more $$.  I do not think Pickens would get involved with any of this. We do have more $$$$, and I mean more $$$$ than Pickens would ever get into a wage battle with Auburn. So please quit trying to come up with reasons why could not cover this without a doubt.

Ok, why don't you try not to put words in my mouth. Having money is one thing. Spending money relentlessly is another. Now, if you are willing to throw 1 million dollars at anybody, that is you. Lucky, the guys who make money are smarter than that.

Sounds like Yurcich is in the midst of an AUFamily bidding war.

I hope he's THAT good!!!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Sounds like Yurcich is in the midst of an AUFamily bidding war.

I hope he's THAT good!!!

Yup. The negotiations for his contract is happening right here on this forum.

Yurchich looks like a great hire if they can entice him away and close the deal.  Any idea on his level of interest?  Has he been interviewed?  The search seems to be tight lipped.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Pickens' gift remains the largest donation to a university's athletic program in collegiate history. His total contributions to OSU come to over $1 Billion. Over $265 million, or 66%, of his donations have been towards athletics. Pickens also has made substantial academic gifts to Oklahoma State University, particularly to the School of Geology, which is named for him.

Bird just saying not picking but 265 million would only be 26.5 % of a billion. But you are right that he has given a lot to the athletics. As far as the other posters comments, we are not one of the wealthiest schools not even close. There are schools like Harvard, ND , MIT , Michigan and Texas A&M that are sitting on trust of more than 10 Billion dollars. Harvard has 20 Billion. We are one of the top ten as far as what we bring in from athletics (football) at around 120 to 140 million a year but our budget is also up there around 110  to 120 million a year. So we are confined to some degree. That said we can and will afford up to 1.5 million for a OC or a DC. So that puts us at the top fifteen programs that will do that. WDE

1 minute ago, aubie17 said:

Yurchich looks like a great hire if they can entice him away and close the deal.  Any idea on his level of interest?  Has he been interviewed?

There is speculation on social media.

Just now, aubie17 said:

What do think of the hire if he is the one?

He's arguably the longest running successful QB developer & play call that's not a HC yet so he's about as experienced as an OC as there is which appears to be the major factor for those involved in the search..

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

He's arguably the longest running successful QB developer & play call that's not a HC yet so he's about as experienced as an OC as there is which appears to be the major factor for those involved in the search..

Some are good with being a coordinator and others are locked in on wanting to be a head coach.  Any idea on this guy?  Would he stay a while?  I know it is pure speculation but wondering your thoughts.

47 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I wish everyone would worrying about money. We are one of the wealthiest schools in the country and will pay what is needed for the next OC. I think Yurich will get an offer of at least $650,000.00 and most likely more than that. OSU cannot and will not try to compete with us as far and money goes, 

Auburn is not one of the wealthiest schools in the country, and if we all remember correctly, until a couple of years ago AU athletic's operated in the red for a couple of years.

OSU can compete with anyone as far as money goes "if" Boone Pickens wishes to throw more $$ at OSU athletics.

This Yurcich (sp) has done nothing to justify paying him an exorbitant salary, let alone hundreds of thousands more than what Rhett was pulling from Auburn. 

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I still resent T. Boone Pickens for the thousands of bucks I lost in the 1980s when he was a takeover artist using Mesa Petroleum and I bet on Pickens against Gulf Oil and Pickens then sold his stock to Gulf at a premium and everyone else who had bought Gulf lost money. It's got nothing to do with football, but it would give me a little bit of satisfaction to raid OK. State and take their  OC. Very small payback, but all I'm likely to get. 

Just now, 1974AUgrad said:

I still resent T. Boone Pickens for the thousands of bucks I lost in the 1980s when he was a takeover artist using Mesa Petroleum and I bet on Pickens against Gulf Oil and Pickens then sold his stock to Gulf at a premium and everyone else who had bought Gulf lost money. It's got nothing to do with football, but it would give me a little bit of satisfaction to raid OK. State and take their  OC. Very small payback, but all I'm likely to get. 

Me too.Im still pissed about that. 

1 minute ago, AUtigerfan1027 said:

Haven't seen this mentioned but will the new OC have any say so in his assistants? Or do we pick a guy who doesn't mind coming in and working with who is already in place?

I'm guessing that they will have to be flexible.  I can't imagine Gus kicking Hand to the curb and I'm sure he wants to protect Kodi, too...

2 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

Some are good with being a coordinator and others are locked in on wanting to be a head coach.  Any idea on this guy?  Would he stay a while?  I know it is pure speculation but wondering your thoughts.

Honestly I don't think any true home run hire would stay more than 1 or 2 years and I don't think Gus cares beyond 2017. I think has he pushed his chips all in for this year to try to buy him some job security by at least winning the SEC & making a playoff push. He has a good D, the QB he wants, a beast at RB, & now trying to get a home run OC to put it all together. I think Gus realizes 2017 for him is go big or go home.

4 minutes ago, AUtigerfan1027 said:

Haven't seen this mentioned but will the new OC have any say so in his assistants? Or do we pick a guy who doesn't mind coming in and working with who is already in place?

Most coordinators on the same side of the ball the HC has experience usually don't bring coaches with them.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yurchich is not proven to be worth 1 million is where I am getting at. Crazy inflation. I will be fine to match him around CRL price though.

Rhett Lashlee at $600K was on the absolute lowest end of the coordinator scale in the SEC; due to his obvious inexperience and the fact that he was only ever the 'de-facto' OC who held the position due to his closeness to Malzahn.  $600K isn't a realistic number for any experienced OC we would be looking at; even T-Rob made $750K this year as the DC at South Carolina and he had never even been a DC before.  I'm not sure about $1 million, but Yurcich would demand (and receive) a hell of a lot more than Rhett Lashlee's salary.

Just now, The Defiant said:

I'm willing to bet 100 Percent, its going to be Herb Hand and 2017 thru 2018 will be the last year of the Gus Malzahn era.

I wouldn't bet my left sock on it being Herb Hand.  Don't be stupid.

Archived