Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

But it won't be nearly as eloquent or well thought out as the musings you find on AU family.  This is some William Shakespeare quality speculation here.

Eloquent, I'll give you.

Well-thought? well

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I could see us spending over $1 million on an OC, but don't be fooled Mr Pickens can spend whatever he wants to keep a coach at OSU

Besides Pickens, OSU has basically nothing of substance $$$$ wise. There is much power in numbers. We have the numbers & we have the power. We are in a situation where Gus has no choice but to empty the piggy bank. Pickens would look like an absolute idiot if he got in some kind bidding wars with us. Yurich no doubt is an excellent OC, but not one good enough to cause a bidding war that goes well over $2,000.000 per year. If we want Yurich folks, we will get him. End of discussion boys: time to flip another house.

Apparently Mike Gundy and Mike Yurich have decided to run the ball more than in their traditional offense. Both coaches and the entire team seem to have great expectations for next year. Here's part of an article from an Oklahoma sports page after OK St. beat number 10 Colorado by 30 points to end the season. This just makes me like Yurcich more.

Cowboys can't help but look at future after stellar conclusion

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — Mike Yurcich wanted to enjoy the moment.

It’s about the only time a coach can savor a victory for more than the overnight hours. But after the way the Oklahoma State offense under the fourth-year offensive coordinator manhandled one of the best secondaries in the country, the question had to be asked.

What about next year?

With quarterback Mason Rudolph and top wide receiver James Washington declaring they would return to Stillwater for their senior seasons, it’s only natural to look at the weapons returning around them – running back Justice Hill, receivers Jalen McCleskey, Chris Lacy and Marcell Ateman – and wonder just how good next year’s team could be.

“I think it just sets us up to do greater things,” Washington said. “We have Marcell (returning after being granted a redshirt medical hardship) and all of our weapons back. I’m looking forward to coming out next year and doing the same thing, hopefully ending with a great outcome.”

That’s exactly what was going through the mind of every OSU fan inside the Alamodome Thursday night as the Cowboys throttled No. 10-ranked Colorado by 30 points.

Many are drawing on the eerie similarities to the 2010-11 OSU teams – that won the Alamo Bowl in 2010, had its star quarterback and receiver return and led OSU to its first and still only Big 12 Conference championship.

So tantalizing does the 2017 season look that even those players that no longer have college eligibility as of Thursday night, actually spoke of wanting to return to college another year to be a part of potentially a special season.

“I kind of wish I had another year just to be a part of that offense with what they’ve got going on,” said senior running back Chris Carson, whose next plan is to begin training in his hometown of Atlanta. “They’ve got a lot of people returning. … It’s going to be great and I’m going to be back to watch them.”

Even though there is a lot of skilled players returning, the Cowboys will have plenty of holes to fill.

OSU will be losing a couple of starters on the offensive line and will have to nurture some young talent this spring to fill the spots now vacant.

“Now we have to have two other guys step up,” coach Mike Gundy said not long after capping the 2016 season with the Alamo Bowl win. “We have young guys in our program. What’s helped us is I think we’ve settled in on how we want to run the ball, more so than we have in those three years that weren’t very exciting running the ball.

(More of the article at the link in the first paragraph.)

10 minutes ago, The Defiant said:

I'm willing to bet 100 Percent, its going to be Herb Hand and 2017 thru 2018 will be the last year of the Gus Malzahn era.

How much are you willing to bet, and do you live in the Birmingham, AL area so it would be convenient to meet?

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

Rhett Lashlee at $600K was on the absolute lowest end of the coordinator scale in the SEC; due to his obvious inexperience and the fact that he was only ever the 'de-facto' OC who held the position due to his closeness to Malzahn.  $600K isn't a realistic number for any experienced OC we would be looking at; even T-Rob made $750K this year as the DC at South Carolina and he had never even been a DC before.  I'm not sure about $1 million, but Yurcich would demand (and receive) a hell of a lot more than Rhett Lashlee's salary.

Well, he made 400 K at Oklahoma State so if Rhett's 600 K is the absolute lowest end then this guy was in the dumpster. He will get a raise, we can agree upon that. I am just not going to hold my breathe it will be at 1 million or north of that. Him being a Broyle's finalist, I am sure he will have some nice negotiating tactics, including a bidding war that he can use to his advantage.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Let's leave the are coaches worth what they are paid topic alone & stay focused on our actual OC search please.

Yes, sir.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I wish everyone would worrying about money. We are one of the wealthiest schools in the country and will pay what is needed for the next OC. I think Yurich will get an offer of at least $650,000.00 and most likely more than that. OSU cannot and will not try to compete with us as far and money goes, 

I don't think money is an object either ...mainly in the SEC..but it's funny how some say spend what it takes then chastise JJ for spending money or the contracts he has given. Btw OSU has cash to spend as well....

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

It's a great topic. I just see a major derailment coming if it continues.

Agreed on both points

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's a great topic. I just see a major derailment coming if it continues.

Sounds like the coaching search is a derailment... I kid...

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I don't think money is an object either ...mainly in the SEC..but it's funny how some say spend what it takes then chastise JJ for spending money or the contracts he has given. Btw OSU has cash to spend as well....

Right? Go just give this guy a million dollars and if it doesn't pan out, then we will be like "JJ that freaking idiot giving this guy a million dollars!"

I don't care what they pay him if it keeps AU from paying an unemployed Gus in 2018.

Just now, bigbird said:

I would expect a salary between the 750-1.0 range

As @metafour pointed out. 750K would not be all that remarkable in the SEC. He could negotiate it as well, seeing as he actually produced in his first year.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yurchich is not proven to be worth 1 million is where I am getting at. Crazy inflation. I will be fine to match him around CRL price though.

I think he is more proven than RL. All everyone says here is RL calls what Gus wanted (until the last 6 games this year), or most plays are Gus' and not RL. I think he could earn a little more than RL did before he left if it was $600,000.

Let's make one thing clear, Boone Pickens does not hire or retain coaches for Okie State. He is an Alumni and contributes money to the university. He might mention his thoughts on where the U is headed or maybe even on HCs when they are brought in. That is the way it is at most university. JJ and the board set the overall budget of the staff but they do not tell Gus where to use it. Now if he needs to go over that budget to get a certain coach then he will have to show the justification in it. That said there is no reason why Gus could not go up to 2 million for a OC if he felt that was a good choice. And unless JJ thought that Gus had completely lost his mind he would okay that amount. OK St coach is in the same boat, What really comes into play is Yurcich and what he wants to do. If he thinks that AU would be a move up (and the SEC West would surely be) then he will take anything above the $600,000 that he is making (taking less would leave a bad impression both at Ok St and on his resume).JMHO

Archived