Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

A little more is a far cry from 1 million or above.  You got to understand he is making 400K at Okie Lite. Anything  we offer will be a raise

You can't compare salaries across conferences.  Coaches in the SEC make by and large more than their counterparts across the country; which means that there are baselines for pay, so even though this guy was making $400-600K (or whatever), you can't realistically just throw him a few more dollars and call it a raise when that more or less still makes him about the lowest paid coordinator in the conference.  I think that ~$800K is probably the lowest you're getting Yurcich at, especially considering the job uncertainty here.

True story: back when Scott Fountain was working a desk job under Chizik he was making something like ~$250K.  That is why he never went to go actually coach elsewhere: most schools around the country don't pay position coaches $250K a year, which means that for him to leave he would actually be taking a paycut at most of the schools that would actually be interested in hiring him.  He'd have to have landed a job at another SEC school to get that type of money, which is why when he ultimately went back to coaching it was at Auburn.

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Isn't that the million dollar question? I don't think this would be the appropriate time to fire a HC though. That doesn't mean that they aren't in control of the situation. No disrespect but this isn't UM or NS here. Gus is expandable and if he doesn't meet criteria he will be gone. I think he knows that and they know that.  He has no leverage .

This is a program that fired a head coach two years after he won its first national championship since Eisenhower was President.  Gus is indeed expendable, and I have no doubt there are criteria to meet.  That said, undermining his decisions (especially in hiring assistants) is likely to only lead to resentment.  If they lack faith in his ability to do what he needs to do or hire who he needs to hire, they should have just dealt out his buyout now instead of later.

If Auburn should hire Mike Yurcich, he should bring Kasey Dunn with him to coach up our outstanding young receivers. Dunn has a few recruiting skills to go along with his coaching abilities. He would be a major upgrade.

http://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2016/8/26/12620010/kasey-dunn-the-man-behind-the-hands-ncaa-oklahoma-state-football-washington-college-coach-preseason

16 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Isn't Kodi or Hand an Co-OC?

Kodi, but I think that title was given to get him to return to AU. Can't remember what exact title He had at AZ ST. but he had just taken the job when Gus asked him to come back to AU. It also was needed to justify his salary because they had to give him more than ASU had just given him.

6 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

If Auburn should hire Mike Yurcich, he should bring Kasey Dunn with him to coach up our outstanding your receivers. Dunn has a few recruiting skills to go along with his coaching abilities. 

http://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2016/8/26/12620010/kasey-dunn-the-man-behind-the-hands-ncaa-oklahoma-state-football-washington-college-coach-preseason

I agree that bringing Dunn would be a good move. Will the NCAA add a 10th coach soon enough that we could do that without firing a coach? If not, who do you suggest we should fire (or move to an off-field position)?

4 minutes ago, 1974AUgrad said:

I agree that bringing Dunn would be a good move. Will the NCAA add a 10th coach soon enough that we could do that without firing a coach? If not, who do you suggest we should fire (or move to an off-field position)?

No. 10th coach will not be added until April at the earliest. And even then I see Gus going defense for the hire balancing assistants at 5 for O & 5 for D. Hiring another O coach would make it 6 O & 4 D.

6 minutes ago, 1974AUgrad said:

I would move Burns. I realize he is one of Malzahn's guys and he will probably be coaching here as long as Gus is the Head Coach. If Auburn is serious about upgrading the passing attack, we need an experienced coach, with a track record of developing receivers and a proven recruiter.

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I would move Burns. I realize he is one of Malzahn's guys and he will probably be coaching here as long as Gus is the Head Coach. If Auburn is serious about upgrading the passing attack, we need an experienced coach, with a track record of developing receivers and a proven recruiter.

Does UConn need a WR coach?

I just like the idea of the successful pair (Yurcich and qb coach (and OC) with his successful WR coach Kasey Dunn. They wouldn't have to spend time learning to work together.

16 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

If Auburn should hire Mike Yurcich, he should bring Kasey Dunn with him to coach up our outstanding your receivers. Dunn has a few recruiting skills to go along with his coaching abilities. He would be a major upgrade.

That is what I am thinking, that if  CMY comes here, he at least brings his receiver coach of chose (might interview Kodi before making the decision) with him.  I feel for Kodi if that happens, but big time college football it is not uncommon.  Who knows, if CMY doesn't retain Kodi, he might end up at UConn.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don't think that Ellitor,  Golf or Bird get anything close to enough for putting up with a bunch of folks like me on this site. Of couse Golf would just spend it on PBR anyway.

My PBR's are free I'm a special stockholder

1 hour ago, 1974AUgrad said:

Houston Texans and their OC, George Godsey (a former GA Tech qb) have "mutually agreed" to part ways, according to YardBarker. He's got experience coaching QBs but I think I'd rather have Yurcich.

hell no 

2 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Dang, I missed it.

Sorry. It included a quoted post by me that I should not have made.

23 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Does UConn need a WR coach?

U conn is a great place for burns.  He needs to cut his teeth there and not here

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It must be rough putting up with objectivity all day long. I personally would rather starve like an Ethiopian.

enjoy being hungry but we understand....... hell been doing this for 10 years where is warrior/midnight when you need him

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No sweat I don't take it personally or dwell on it to long either. Life is too short to spend a lot of time worrying about much. Although I spend way to much time worrying about what a bunch of 18 year-olds are going to do. LOL 

Way I've lived my entire life it will suit you well but keep the positive ways man........................movie reference for those that do not know

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sorry. It included a quoted post by me that I should not have made.

All posts are posts you should have made.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

so it was a DIFFERENT awesome bill from dawsonville you say?!

You are CORRECT SIR!

Since it looks like we're not getting Art or Kendal Briles, I would like to see Gus hire this man. Lincoln Riley. Just think what he could do with Jarrett Stidham and all of our young WR's.

Archived