Scrimmage 03/25/2017

aufan57

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He can't name a starter until Sean is given the chance to compete for the job. Yes, everyone in the world knows it will be one of the two, and most likely which one, but both need the chance. If not it will cause animosity amongst the team. We need to remember how much Sean is loved by his teammates. It needs to appear he is given every opportunity to winbor lose the starting position.

I agree with this. I do think he will be edged out and a big part of that will be because he can't stay healthy but he does deserve a fair chance to compete for the job. I mean he has worked hard for AU and put his body on the line for AU in 2015 and 2016. You have to respect the guy and give him the fair chance hat he deserves for sure. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Franklin III stands out at receiver, catches touchdown in Auburn's 1st spring scrimmage

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's newest receiver is making himself right at home this spring.

Former quarterback John Franklin III, who made the full-time move to receiver when Auburn returned to practice from spring break on Tuesday, stepped up as a playmaker during the Tigers' first scrimmage of the spring on Saturday morning inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. The 6-foot-1, 183-pounder made multiple catches, according to coach Gus Malzahn and teammates, including a touchdown.

"John is really good," quarterback Sean White said. "He's working hard to make the transition. He looks good. He caught a touchdown today I saw. He caught a couple more passes. I think he's going to be really good."

Franklin, who began working at receiver during Auburn's third practice on March 4, caught a touchdown from true freshman quarterback Malik Willis during Saturday's 100-plus play scrimmage. It was one of two touchdowns thrown by Willis on the day.

Franklin's performance at receiver on Saturday caught Malzahn's eye, the coach said afterward.

Franklin has seemingly embraced the position change after spending his entire career at quarterback, first as a backup at FSU, then while splitting time at East Mississippi Community College in 2015 before serving as White's backup last season. The redshirt senior spent his spring break working out in South Florida and releasing a series of hype videos showcasing drills he worked on to improve his skillset at the position.

"He's a speedy guy," defensive back Carlton Davis said. "He has dangerous speed, so you always want to respect that from your receiver, and he has good hands. Just from being a quarterback and now converting to receiver, he has a lot of ability over there, and he has a bright future at receiver."

Along with making plays at receiver on Saturday, Franklin also got an opportunity to return one of three live punts during the scrimmage. Previously this spring, during media viewing periods, Franklin worked on special teams as a gunner on punt returns. However, given his playmaking ability, Malzahn wants to make an effort to get the ball in Franklin's hands in the open field in multiple ways.

"We're just trying to get the ball in his hands," Malzahn said. "He did some good things. Still learning the position, but he's a veteran guy. The fact that he played quarterback, he understands the splits and the depth and the timing and everything that goes with that.

"I thought he did some good things. Each practice, you see him getting more and more comfortable. He can flat-out run."

Two quarterbacks go live in 'balanced' Auburn scrimmage

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Auburn held its first spring scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday as the Tigers ran more than 100 plays and focused primarily on base schemes.

Head coach Gus Malzahn said the first-team offense went against the first-team defense for 54 plays while the second-team offense and defense squared off for 57 plays. The scrimmage was closed to the media.

"Overall, it was a solid day," Malzahn said. "Defense did some good things, offense did some good things. It was good for us as coaches and players. For the players, kind of see where we're at. There's nothing like live football. You can simulate all you want during practice, thudding up and all that. There are a couple of guys that anytime you go live, they respond in a different way."

Transfer quarterback Jarrett Stidham and returning starter Sean White did not go live, but redshirt freshman Woody Barrett and true freshman Malik Willis did. White, who remains limited with the arm injury he suffered in the Sugar Bowl in January, was a 7-on-7 participant but did not scrimmage.

White competing with plate in forearm

White competing with plate in forearm

Auburn quarterback Sean White confirmed Saturday he underwent surgery to repair the broken forearm he sustained against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.

"Any time you go live, you can find out a lot of information," Malzahn said. "That was Woody and Malik. It was good to see those guys out there. It was also good for the defense, alright, to have to play a live quarterback."

Malzahn felt his offense and defense performed evenly and didn't give an edge to either group. He said the Tigers were "balanced" by running 60 percent of the time and throwing 40 percent, a far cry from first spring scrimmages in the past when Malzahn estimated the balance was closer to 80 percent run and 20 percent pass.

There were also handful of deep vertical throws -- Malzahn remembered "eight to 10" off the top of his head.

"It was a lot of fun," Stidham said when asked about the longer throws. "Those receivers, they worked their butts off today. Granted our defense is really, really good so it only makes us better each practice, but it's good to go out there and sling it around a little bit."

Watch Stidham's 1st Auburn interview

Watch Stidham's 1st Auburn interview

Check out what Stidham had to say about his transition to the Plains, the quarterback race, the future and more

According to an Auburn spokesman, five total touchdowns were scored Saturday. Willis threw two touchdowns and Stidham threw one to Darius Slayton, though Stidham did not recall the play when asked. Running back Malik Miller scored twice on the ground, the spokesman said.

Malzahn said offensive line coach Herb Hand "mixed and matched" his unit while "most" of the running backs received carries. The bulk went to Miller and Kam Martin.

"I thought both of them did a solid job," Malzahn said. "I don't think either one of them put the ball on the ground. Obviously, that's what you think about that first scrimmage, have a chance to hold onto the football."

In the middle of the scrimmage the Tigers ran live punts and punt returns with Eli Stove, Ryan Davis and John Franklin III.

As for the defense, cornerback Javaris Davis said walk-on defensive back Michael Sherwood caught one interception.

"We should have some more, but one," Davis said. "Coach always preaches turnovers but we didn't really do that today. We just have to watch the film like I said and see what we can do better."

Malzahn was impressed with what he saw from both the first and second team defensive units.

"The first group's flying around," he said. "There's no doubt. And the second group, especially, on both sides. That's when you really learn a lot about your guys. We've got a lot of veteran guys who have played on defense and played well. It was pretty much what you would think."

Malzahn said there were no major injuries Saturday. Auburn's second scrimmage will be held next Saturday inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Darius Slayton full-go during Auburn's 1st spring scrimmage

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Darius Slayton appears to have made a full recovery from the hernia surgery that sidelined him earlier this spring.

The redshirt sophomore wide receiver was full-go during the team's first scrimmage of the spring on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium, according to teammate Carlton Davis. Auburn had been cautious with Slayton's progression the last several practices after he was cleared to return from the surgery.

"I'm glad Darius Slayton is back, you know," Davis said. "He's one of our veteran receivers now, and it's always fun competing against him."

The 6-foot-2, 191-pound Slayton is Auburn's leading returning receiver this season. He recorded 15 receptions for 292 yards and a touchdown last season, finishing second on the team in both receiving yards and yards per catch among players with at least three receptions in 2016.

On Saturday morning, Slayton flashed what he brings to the receiving corps during the Tigers' 100-plus-play scrimmage. According to quarterback Sean White, who only participated in 7-on-7 drills Saturday, Slayton caught a touchdown from freshman quarterback Malik Willis during the scrimmage.

"He looks fully recovered now," Davis said. "He's healthy, and like I said, I'm happy to go against him."

Do we know if it was a deep TD pass to JF3 or short pass and a shake n bake? :ucrazy:

24 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Do we know if it was a deep TD pass to JF3 or short pass and a shake n bake? :ucrazy:

Had to be deep or JF3 would have fumbled during the long run right?

Almost forgot, couldn't be shake and bake, because JF3 only has straight line speed and no vision or moves.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He can't name a starter until Sean is given the chance to compete for the job. Yes, everyone in the world knows it will be one of the two, and most likely which one, but both need the chance. If not it will cause animosity amongst the team. We need to remember how much Sean is loved by his teammates. It needs to appear he is given every opportunity to winbor lose the starting position.

FWIW Gus/Chip would not name a starter til the Fall anyway even if Sean was healthy now.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Gus/Chip would not name a starter til the Fall anyway even if Sean was healthy now.

giphy.gif

:poke:

Just now, bigbird said:

giphy_s.gif

:poke:

Sorry. Was just clarifying for the rest of the board.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Sorry. Was just clarifying for the rest of the board.

Just messing with you, E

Here are few things I've picked up from people there on posts.

Woody went 0-4 with an INT 

Defense looked good had several sacks 

Stidham had several good throws down the field and didn't make a bad decision. He is clearly the best qb. His favorite target is Hastings 

JF3 had 2 TD catch's ???

Jeremiah Denson looked good.

Cowart looked good.

Miller had a td run 

Willis had 4 drive's, resulting in 3 TD (2 Pass).

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I agree with this. I do think he will be edged out and a big part of that will be because he can't stay healthy but he does deserve a fair chance to compete for the job. I mean he has worked hard for AU and put his body on the line for AU in 2015 and 2016. You have to respect the guy and give him the fair chance hat he deserves for sure. 

Absolutely....and in addition, there is no need to make that decision now anyway. Sounds like SW will have adequate time to get back to 100% and give it his best. 

I would not count Sean out of it just yet. I know he seems to be(is) injury prone, but he knows the offense better than anyone at QB and the team loves that guy and will play for him. I hope JS can get that leadership role going like SW has and he could be a barn burner! IMHO, before ya'll(some) jump all over me!

33 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Here are few things I've picked up from people there on posts.

Woody went 0-4 with an INT 

Defense looked good had several sacks 

Stidham had several good throws down the field and didn't make a bad decision. He is clearly the best qb. His favorite target is Hastings 

JF3 had 2 TD catch's ???

Jeremiah Denson looked good.

Cowart looked good.

Miller had a td run 

Willis had 4 drive's, resulting in 3 TD (2 Pass).

Premium on 247 off tRant ^ 

Lol I just went found on rant, it's paraphrased differently though.. It was 2 separate posts I used from two different forums.

That's why I said picked up from posts.

Edit: U know what, if I can find the same info on 3 different sites, then it should be here, our people deserve the same info at min 3 other places have.

What is it about Hastings that the QBs like him? We have all these high priced recruits and Hastings is a walk on or something.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just messing with you, E

My grandfather fell & had immediate brain surgery Wednesday. He still hasn't woken up post surgery. Not in a messing mindset bud. No ill intent. Just down.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

My grandfather fell & had immediate brain surgery Wednesday. He still hasn't woken up post surgery. Not in a messing mindset bud.

So sorry to hear, E. Prayers with your family.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My grandfather fell & had immediate brain surgery Wednesday. He still hasn't woken up post surgery. Not in a messing mindset bud.

Don't like in the least.

Best wishes.

WDE

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My grandfather fell & had immediate brain surgery Wednesday. He still hasn't woken up post surgery. Not in a messing mindset bud. No ill intent. Just down.

Well, don't keep it a secret, let your brothers pray for y'all.

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope you get some good news soon. Praying for y'all. 

Archived