Bill Maher is an idiot

Rockthecasbah6

Bill Maher, host of HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher, says that all Christians are crazy and are unenlightened because of their faith. Maher made the comments on MSNBC's Scarborough Country.

Maher said: "We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion…I think that religion stops people from thinking. I think it justifies crazies. I think that flying planes in a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder. If you look at it logically, it's something that was drilled into your head when you were a small child."

"When you look at belief in such things--as do you go to heaven, is there a devil--we have more in common with (Muslin countries) Turkey and Iran and Syria than we do with European nations and Canada and nations that, yes, I would consider more enlightened that us."

Maher said he wasn't speaking only of evangelicals, but included all religious people. He said he agreed with Jesse Ventura "who had that quote about religion is a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers."

Because of their neurological disorder, he said Christians "do not believe in science and rationality." He went on to say the future does not belong to religion. One recalls the famous quote from the Beatles in the 60's that they "were more popular than Jesus."

According to Maher, the Bible is a book of fairy tales, calling the account of Jonah a fairy tale the same as Jack in the Beanstalk.

Had Maher said such things about homosexuals, he would have been immediately fired. But because he was speaking of Christians, his bigotry was acceptable to HBO, owned by Time Warner Inc.

TAKE ACTION

Send Mr. Maher an email saying you regret he has such a low view of Christians, and will pray that he be "enlightened" as to the true nature of Christianity. Explain to him that Christians appreciate the good science does and most Christians are rational individuals.

Let's do the "Christian" thing and PRAY for Bill.

God loves proving he is around. God also has a very vicious sense of humor.

In short, pray and let God handle it.

bill maher is an idiot, and i do pray for people like that. i kinda look at them as violently rebelling against something. when you do that, generally, it's b/c it strikes a chord. but he wouldn't have been fired for saying anything about anyone. he's paid to stir the pot.

I agree with some of what he said, but I never agree with how he says it. Modern day Christianity often teaches it's followers to live their lives through comparison which only reinforces the ego. How many times as a Christian do you find yourself saying "Oh, boy, is he/she ever going to hell"? If you don't ever do that , then more power to you. If you do you are reinforcing your ego everytime.

Enlightenment is an awakening, imo, and requires a dissolving of the ego, which is possibly one of the hardest things to do in today's society. I haven't been able to do it yet, but hope i can one day soon. As many on this board know, I still have a sizeable ego :lol: .

I believe that it is possible to find your salvation through many different religions, but probably only a very small % of any one religion ever finds that true salvation. Attacking someone who is rude and crude about his beliefs like mahrer is a sign of insecurity in your beliefs and a sign that your ego just took a hit and is reacting in a way that is unbecoming. I mean use the old "what would Jesus do?" If He were here and heard mahers words do you think he would approve of someone dogpiling on mahrer just because they didn't like what he said? I really don't think so, but that's jmo.

Please let me say again, I am no fan of mahrer.

OK, this is where everyone jumps in and agrees with me. :lol:

He's showing the beauty of this country by showing his first amendment right.

At the same time the 1st amendment can make you, it can also break you.

Religion is an important aspect of people's lives, but that's self-explanatory

either Christianity is the only way to salvation or it is no way at all. Jesus told us as much.

and the dumbest thing he said was claiming that religion makes you somehow less enlightened. i would say c.s. lewis (who came to religion as an adult... it wasn't "drilled into" him as a child) is far more enlightened than bill maher can ever hope to be (he was also european which i guess makes him a better person according to bill). just as an example.

Maher: More about Maher

Maher palimony mess

Ex seeks 9M, cites abuse, racial insults;

comic calls is 'frivolous'

By MICHELLE CARUSO

DAILY NEWS WEST COAST BUREAU CHIEF

HBO 'Real Time' comic Bill Maher with then gal pal Nancy (Coco) Johnson at shindig in Hollywood last year. 

LOS ANGELES - The ex-girlfriend of comedian Bill Maher has slapped him with a $9 million palimony lawsuit, charging she quit her flight attendant and modeling jobs because he promised to marry her and buy her a Beverly Hills home.

Ex-model Nancy (Coco) Johnson also claims the HBO "Real Time" host said he wanted them to have children and vowed to "take care of" her for the rest of her life.

The buxom beauty says Maher even wooed her by promising he would buy her the home where Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck lived.

Once she gave up her job and modeling aspirations in October 2003, Maher berated her with politically incorrect racial slurs, roughed her up and threatened to hit her with a hammer, according to the suit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

The suit also alleges Maher cheated on Johnson "with at least one other woman" while they lived together. The 17-month relationship ended in May.

Maher's lawyer says the suit is the revenge of a scorned woman.

"This is a completely frivolous lawsuit filled with false allegations that is part of a pattern by Ms. Johnson to seek retribution since the end of their short relationship. Mr. Maher is looking forward to having this dismissed by the court," said attorney Adam Streisand.

Johnson, who is African-American, alleges Maher demanded that she quit her Delta Airlines job and her modeling career so she could devote her time to him and furthering his career.

"He indicated that it would be beneficial to his career if they were seen together as a 'power couple,' socially and otherwise," the suit says.

After she dumped both of her careers, "thereafter, Maher verbally abused Johnson by making insulting, humiliating and degrading racial comments to and about Johnson and others," the suit says.

The suit doesn't give any examples, but it does allege that at one Hollywood party, Maher yanked Johnson by the arm and caused "injuries to her neck and back." When they got home, he threatened to hit her in the head with a hammer if she cheated on him, the suit says.

Johnson wants money to make up for her lost careers and pension plan and her pain and suffering, the suit says.

Originally published on November 12, 2004

while it isn't true until the courts say it's true. it doesn't seem very enlightened to even put yourself in a situation to receive that kind of accusation.

either Christianity is the only way to salvation or it is no way at all. Jesus told us as much.

and the dumbest thing he said was claiming that religion makes you somehow less enlightened. i would say c.s. lewis (who came to religion as an adult... it wasn't "drilled into" him as a child) is far more enlightened than bill maher can ever hope to be (he was also european which i guess makes him a better person according to bill). just as an example.

147760[/snapback]

A. Einstien was a VERY intelligent fellow. He came to his salvation and "religion" late in life as well.

We would all do well to pray for these type folks and, as has already been stated, let God "handle" it.

My 2 cents.....

While Bill might have a legitimate point or two, he still is just begging for a kick in the head, imo.

First of all, I take some exception to some of the finer points of how this story was presented. ( And in no way am I 'defending' Bill here )

"Maher said he wasn't speaking only of evangelicals, but included all religious people. He said he agreed with Jesse Ventura "who had that quote about religion is a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers." " This seems to get overlooked here. Maher's issue isn't JUST with Christians, but with all religions.

Because of their neurological disorder, he said Christians "do not believe in science and rationality." He went on to say the future does not belong to religion. Now the enlightened one , Mr Maher, is showing his ignorance. Not only does he not know of the history of western science, but he sure as heck doesn't know any scientist TODAY.

But then the writer does a disservice himself by this little gem..,,

One recalls the famous quote from the Beatles in the 60's that they "were more popular than Jesus." Sorry Charlie, but it seems that not much has changed in 40 yrs. John wasn't saying that he or the Beatles were in any way trying to replace Jesus, in fact it was the opposite. What Lennon was trying to say is that the media attention and fan worship given to them was misplaced and unwanted. He wasn't boasting about being more popular than Jesus, but was just calling attention to that fact.

According to Maher, the Bible is a book of fairy tales, calling the account of Jonah a fairy tale the same as Jack in the Beanstalk.

Had Maher said such things about homosexuals, he would have been immediately fired. But because he was speaking of Christians, his bigotry was acceptable to HBO, owned by Time Warner Inc. I don't know if anyone can make the argument that homos aren't real. Parables are one thing, gays are quite another. I dunno where the writer was trying to go w/ this one , but they swung for the fences and missed.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a shower. There mere thought that I'd defend that :censored: Bill Maher just feels so dirty.

My Philosophy professor at AUM, Dr. Barfoot, was a very enlightened man. He was the only "social/science" teacher I ever had that truly remained neutral while teaching. To this day I can't tell you what this man believes when it comes to religion. He played a mean "devil's advocate" and really made us think about what we had always perceived to be the truth. He sparked my study of my own beliefs in ways I probably would never have without him.

Dr. Barfoot spoke one day on the "Wagerer's Theory." What he said has stuck with me ever since. The question he posed was (paraphrased):

If you live your life like there is a god and there isn't, what have you lost? But if you live your life like there is no god and there is, what have you lost?"

Just something to ponder...

That's a good one mdm.

I had a very knowledgable sociology professor who was kinda old and cranky. He was very interesting at times and loved to stir the pot, but came across as a pretty hateful guy. Claimed to be agnostic, although I'd say he was a heavy leaner towards atheism.

Overall, I enjoyed the class, but would have much rather had a teacher like you describe.

My Philosophy professor at AUM, Dr. Barfoot, was a very enlightened man.  He was the only "social/science" teacher I ever had that truly remained neutral while teaching.  To this day I can't tell you what this man believes when it comes to religion.  He played a mean "devil's advocate" and really made us think about what we had always perceived to be the truth.  He sparked my study of my own beliefs in ways I probably would never have without him.

Dr. Barfoot spoke one day on the "Wagerer's Theory."  What he said has stuck with me ever since.  The question he posed was (paraphrased):

If you live your life like there is a god and there isn't, what have you lost?  But if you live your life like there is no god and there is, what have you lost?"

147931[/snapback]

I'm currently enrolled at AUM. When it comes to academics, AUM is better than :au:

I bet I'll get a response for that statement :poke::P

Nobody would know who Bill Maher was if he wasn't always trying to make headlines with offensive comments. He is obviously not on TV because of his looks.

Reminds me of an old cartoon I saw shortly after Iran's Iotola(?) died.

In the cartoon, he was standing at the Pearly Gates in front of a huge white Throne.

The caption read "UH OH ! ! !" :D

maher doesn't believe any religion. he says religion is for the unenlightened. so, while he may not have claimed enlightenment for himself, he certainly does leave himself as a likely candidate for the position.

Well, he is obviously misinformed imo. If you believe in God in any way that is a religion, imo. If you are an atheist and deny even the possibility of a God then you are more close minded than any religious hard liner or whatever.

Anyways, enlightenment is definitely a relative term, imo, and it is possible to attain through religion, imo as well.

My Philosophy professor at AUM, Dr. Barfoot, was a very enlightened man.  He was the only "social/science" teacher I ever had that truly remained neutral while teaching.  To this day I can't tell you what this man believes when it comes to religion.  He played a mean "devil's advocate" and really made us think about what we had always perceived to be the truth.  He sparked my study of my own beliefs in ways I probably would never have without him.

Dr. Barfoot spoke one day on the "Wagerer's Theory."  What he said has stuck with me ever since.  The question he posed was (paraphrased):

If you live your life like there is a god and there isn't, what have you lost?  But if you live your life like there is no god and there is, what have you lost?"

147931[/snapback]

Replace 'Santa Claus' for 'God', and see if it makes as much sense. B)

Archived