2017 Gameday Enhancements / DJ in student section

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jay is treating the game day home atmosphere like a minor league baseball team. Trying to get "kids" and non fans attention by cheap tricks and thrills.

You could have a point but at today's ticket prices for anything I definitely would have to be a fan or you wouldn't see me there. Unless of course Cheap Trick was actually there. Then we're back to the fan thing. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told the gate workers are now checking student IDs now before admittance. If true I'm sure that stops most of the practice of buying student tickets only to sell them. They also started a penalty system for not attending games or not donating to a "lottery pool". Enough points and you lose your chance at post season tickets and drop in priority the next year. That could be good or bad, causing some to show up just to avoid the penalty but leave early. Considerably different than my years, but then again we never seemed to have as big a problem with the student section emptying. It's not a huge problem now, but I do remember seeing a mostly vacated endzone section last season against Arky. That was my 1st game back since 2010 and I was shocked to see it emptied even though the game was decided early. Hell, I wanted to soak in every second of that Burt ass whoopin'.

1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

I didn't really think AU had the problem of students leaving. It always seems pretty packed at least through mid-4th. I just don't understand the logistics of all of this.. The only place it could go without being overshadowed by the band and jumbotron is the upper edge of the student section at the 40 yd line (aka where I sit!) But this part of the student section seems to be the loudest anyway soooo not really sure if it'd be smart to move a big section of those students and replace them with a DJ..booth?..table..?..box? How big is this thing???

Students leaving at halftime is a problem in West Vance, not on the plains.

My biggest issue is I'm not sure who this trying to play to... the students? 

I could understand a gimmick to get new fans like children 8-15 to entrench a new breed for next generation of fans but a DJ in the student section I just don't understand.

I understand trying new things to drum up interest. Still say the simple formula is to put a good AU team on the field playing another good team that has the potential to beat AU. If you don't have that combination there will be attendance issues which leads to $20 Ga Southern tickets.

Hopefully they use it for the dead time the students are there before the pregame starts like someone said earlier. I wish they would do something outside the stadium in the lines. Got to the Clemson game 6 hours early last year!!! Bored out of my mind for 5 of those.

As a fairly recent graduate that attended many games (but not every game) as a student, I'd say there's way too much going on in the student section. I sold my tickets as a student to pay for groceries on top of having a job. I would then buy a ticket outside the stadium for next to nothing about 15 minutes before kick off just to avoid the zoo that is the student section. Breaking my neck to watch the replays, having to listen to the poor cheerleader on the mic that gets on everyone's nerves, and putting up with all the students that couldn't give two craps about the game was just too much for me. The DJ will just add to it. I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems like they are trying too hard. We are Auburn, we don't want gimmicks, we want wins. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will take A DJ all day if it means the mic guy is no more. That guy is always so awful and insufferable! lol Never been a fan.

GIT SUM, WUTTT? YARDIDGE, OHHHH!

Good job, y'all!

6 minutes ago, Aubiewood said:

GIT SUM, WUTTT? YARDIDGE, OHHHH!

Good job, y'all!

Going to need you to post more with gems like these!

7 hours ago, logan adams said:

I don't even understand how this will work

It is the same thing they did for the student section in 2014

My thought is that this will have a negative effect on the cheerleaders. Those guys and gals bust their butts practicing year 'round. They have worked hard and have earned the attention of the crowd. If this distracts from them and I don't see how it won't, then I don't like then idea.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It is the same thing they did for the student section in 2014

I was in the student section then and I never even remember a DJ being there 

15 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Wonder how that's going to be competing with the jumbotron?? Just seems cheesy as usual to me.

Alcohol sales would be the real ticket but we all know that's not happening anytime soon.

You don' really want that. I've seen it in stadiums on the left coast. You also don't want them to let people out at halftime and then admit them back in. Some people go to their cars and drink hard a for the entire halftime, and come back into the games extremely belligerent. I am stoked that I'll be going to JHS this fall and not have to worry about inebriated people throwing things, spitting, and getting down right violent at me or my son. We stopped going to Ducks games a few years back because of just that.

17 minutes ago, logan adams said:

I was in the student section then and I never even remember a DJ being there 

They were there where the mic man was.  They used those two speakers normally used for the mic man.  Had reverb issues the first few games I remember, although I was no longer in the student section.

Why don't they just put a wedding singer in the student section while their at it.  And don't forget the waving inflatable tube man.  Because we don't want the students to get bored at the game.

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You don' really want that. I've seen it in stadiums on the left coast. You also don't want them to let people out at halftime and then admit them back in. Some people go to their cars and drink hard a for the entire halftime, and come back into the games extremely belligerent. I am stoked that I'll be going to JHS this fall and not have to worry about inebriated people throwing things, spitting, and getting down right violent at me or my son. We stopped going to Ducks games a few years back because of just that.

I didn't exactly say I wanted it, especially not for the student section, but just being honest that's the reason behind those students that leave early. There's certainly pros and cons to alcohol sales at sporting events. The SEC has their rules against it, but discussions have already began regarding change. 

9 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I didn't exactly say I wanted it, especially not for the student section, but just being honest that's the reason behind those students that leave early. There's certainly pros and cons to alcohol sales at sporting events. The SEC has their rules against it, but discussions have already began regarding change. 

I know you didn't, and it was my mistake the way I worded my response. 

But on this front, I am speaking from personal experience going to many games where it was allowed. Games are less fun. People get inebriated and then get belligerent. They throw things at people. They throw up on people. They spit at fans on their own side because they hear them say something about a coaching decision. 

I truly hope, even if the SEC allows it, that Auburn won't. It completely lowers the gameday experience, makes it less fun, and sometimes stops entire families from ever attending games.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

But on this front, I am speaking from personal experience going to many games where it was allowed. Games are less fun. People get inebriated and then get belligerent. They throw things at people. They throw up on people. They spit at fans on their own side because they hear them say something about a coaching decision. 

I truly hope, even if the SEC allows it, that Auburn won't. It completely lowers the gameday experience, makes it less fun, and sometimes stops entire families from ever attending games.

Hey, I completely understand your position. There's already plenty of alcohol snuck into SEC stadiums as it is. I've had my share of interactions with belligerents both in the student section and outside it. 

I'm kinda on the fence b/c yeah I wouldn't mind having a beer at the game, but see your points as well.

Just so ya know, another new game day improvement for Auburn in 2017 includes alcohol sales just outside JHS in the Plainsman Park parking lot. Also have been selling it in the suites for awhile and at off-campus games like bowls et al. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the conference says about the general public in the future. As for now, let's continue to enjoy JHS as we know and love it. :we:

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

My thought is that this will have a negative effect on the cheerleaders. Those guys and gals bust their butts practicing year 'round. They have worked hard and have earned the attention of the crowd. If this distracts from them and I don't see how it won't, then I don't like then idea.

Uh, no one in the student section pays attention to them at all.  Haven't for years.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

How much of that is west coast culture though?  Look at the videos of 49ers or Raiders fans getting into fights all of the time.    Just thinking that the culture at Auburn and other places around the South would likely diminish some of the extremes that you see in Oregon.  I've been to several kickoff games and bowl games where alcohol was served (including hard liquor).  Didn't see any AU fans causing issues outside of the normal amount you would see at JHS any given gameday.

Lots of students show up beyond drunk because for them it's a social thing; they don't see their place in the game. I'd rather just give those seats away to other fans

Will the DJ have access to songs recorded after 2010????

We still freaking play Young Joc at games LMAOOOO

Archived