***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite 2 strikes, there is still joy in Mudville.

“Daniel Carlson knocked through two field goals and five extra points, becoming Auburn's all-time leader in career points with 364.”

[By my meager (finger-counting) math skills the number should be 365. Also, I believe, Mr. Carlson, Mighty Carlson, is still career-perfect on PATs.]

http://www.wsfa.com/story/36279429/auburn-steps-on-gas-early-cruises-past-ga-southern

25 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^They were 5-7 last year though. Still probably better than Kent State of course.

Well that was with a completely different system than they're used to running. They lost a lot of close games and still beat some good teams like Troy and USA. They have a lot of experience on the back end of that defense. I don't think they'll win the sun belt, but they won't be a pushover. On the other hand, I think some D2 schools would beat Kent state 

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I think I saw a different game than most of you. Yeah there's things we can improve, but I'm not worried one bit. For one, I've never seen a defensive line dominate a supposedly "experienced" offensive line quite like we did to GASO.  I think they're better than last year. I also see some people complaining about Stidham holding onto the ball too long but I would rather him take a sack than to throw it into traffic like JJ would. I thought he did much better in the second half and that TD to Hastings was just beautiful. I love that he has elusiveness as well. The most important thing that I think people aren't understanding is that GASO is not Kent State. They're a good football team (VERY disciplined) and I can't remember the last time anyone beat them by 34 points. 

WV beat them 44-0  2 years ago (they finished 8-4 that year, 5-7 last year...lost to App St last year 34-10)

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Irma may still have something to say about yhat...

Fingers crossed that it's a big enough threat to move the game to JHS but then turn back into the Atlantic. I think we really need to win at Clemson to have good mojo the rest of the season.

I'm happy. Our course there will be things to fix on offense but our defense is flat out nasty!

1. KJ is the Carl Lawson on offense. I like KJ and when he's healthy he makes plays but we need to get Miller and Barrett more reps. Before KJ got hurt....didn't really fit as our feature RB.

2. Oline looked shaky 1st half; a little better 2nd half. Pass blocking needs serious work. This is what i was afraid of when we kept switching guys around instead of setting the OLine and getting them as many reps as possible. I'm not saying we need changes at this point; just as many reps as possible for them to gel. 

3. Like many have asked...i'm not sure why Nate wasn't more a factor in the passing game. It looked liked it was a combination of WRs not getting separation, dropping passes, lack of OLine protection at times and JS being a little gun shy as to why the passing game didn't execute early.

4. Stidham looks good running and throwing outside of the pocket. If we can get him on the move more with some passes and/or runs that can actually help the OLine. 

All in all, i think we'll be fine. I've watched all the CFB games since Week 0 and with the exception of very few top teams; several have struggled.  Yes, Clemson is one that didn't struggle but they also didn't face a defense like ours. I loved JS's post game interview right after the game. He evaluated himself and easily expressed he felt he didn't have a good game. That means he's hungry, a leader and ready to go back to the film and practice to fix his mistakes. That's what i like to hear and see so I'm confident about the Clemson game! 

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm happy. Our course there will be things to fix on offense but our defense is flat out nasty!

1. KJ is the Carl Lawson on offense. I like KJ and when he's healthy he makes plays but we need to get Miller and Barrett more reps. Before KJ got hurt....didn't really fit as our feature RB.

2. Oline looked shaky 1st half; a little better 2nd half. Pass blocking needs serious work. This is what i was afraid of when we kept switching guys around instead of setting the OLine and getting them as many reps as possible. I'm not saying we need changes at this point; just as many reps as possible for them to gel. 

3. Like many have asked...i'm not sure why Nate wasn't more a factor in the passing game. It looked liked it was a combination of WRs not getting separation, dropping passes, lack of OLine protection at times and JS being a little gun shy as to why the passing game didn't execute early.

4. Stidham looks good running and throwing outside of the pocket. If we can get him on the move more with some passes and/or runs that can actually help the OLine. 

All in all, i think we'll be fine. I've watched all the CFB games since Week 0 and with the exception of very few top teams; several have struggled.  Yes, Clemson is one that didn't struggle but they also didn't face a defense like ours. I loved JS's post game interview right after the game. He evaluated himself and easily expressed he felt he didn't have a good game. That means he's hungry, a leader and ready to go back to the film and practice to fix his mistakes. That's what i like to hear and see so I'm confident about the Clemson game! 

Yep I'm not worried about Stidman... Playcalling that's a different story. Like many have said... Hopefully we throw the kitchen sink at clemson and this game was just basic playcalling but how much will it truly differ from this game's playcalling? I'll believe it when see it. Offense will be elite. Can't waste another great defense...Nope can't do it.

Just now, WFE12 said:

Yep I'm not worried about Stidman... Playcalling that's a different story. Like many have said... Hopefully we throw the kitchen sink at clemson and this game was just basic playcalling but how much will it truly differ from this game's playcalling? I'll believe it when see it. Offense will be elite. Can't waste another great defense...Nope can't do it.

Agree. I guess where my concern comes in is that although the play calling was simple, we should've been able to execute it at a higher level. That's why i'm not really a proponent of "saving plays" until you play a better team depending on where a team is at within the season. But especially early on in the season when we have a 1. A new QB  2. A new OC  3. New tackles guarding that new QB.

I totally agree with not showing a team like Clemson everything. I just worry that we're not to that point as a team or program for that matter where we can say....let's not show everything and being able to come out full blasting on the best teams and win. Hate it or not...teams like Bama, Clemson and Ohio State can do that. However, in the 2nd half you could tell where the Oline got more comfortable and started executing. It could've cost Ohio St b/c they def. went vanilla in the Indiana game and from what i saw of USC...they were pretty basic against Western Kentucky and struggled with them until the 4thQ. 

But i certainly think we have the talent to beat Clemson. Heck we had it last year and if that defense from last night plays that way against Clemson...we're going to win! One other thing is that we CAN NOT be turning the ball over against Clemson. I'm more upset about the turnovers than anything from last night! Take care of the football!

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I think I saw a different game than most of you

But, did you see the game where we had 3 players suspended after Gus said "no one is suspended" according to you?

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

They're a good football team (VERY disciplined) and I can't remember the last time anyone beat them by 34 points. 

September 5, 2015 vs West Virginia

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

But, did you see the game where we had 3 players suspended after Gus said "no one is suspended" according to you?

September 5, 2015 vs West Virginia

Maybe nobody was suspended at the time Gus said that. It doesn't matter cause we didn't need them anyways. And wow two years ago? How did they play against bama and Florida? And Ole miss last year? Why don't you post that? Take your negativity elsewhere 

I've seen enough....no need in splitting hairs.   We won, we got work to do.  Gus didn't call the plays and we will have to make changes to win next week.  

I am going to go and find me a Clemson thread.  

War Eagle and keep it friendly!  

26 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Here's they thing, Gus has never said they were suspended, and has refused to call it that. What he has said is that they were unavailable for the game for reasons strictly between him and them. I know it's semantics, but he seems very adamant about making the seperation. He's had no problem using the word in the past, so I have to think there is something different about this, behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

And wow two years ago? How did they play against bama and Florida? And Ole miss last year?

Which game?  The 24 point loss to Bama 6 years ago? or their win against Florida 4 years ago when they went 4-8 and lost against Missouri, Vanderbilt and South Carolina?  Or, last year's 10 point loss to a 5-7 Ole Miss squad?  Just answered your question about the last time they lost by more than 34 points.

And, seriously:

NO! How many times does Gus have to say "no players are suspended" until y'all believe him??  

Really? LOL!

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Which game?  The 24 point loss to Bama 6 years ago? or their win against Florida 4 years ago when they went 4-8 and lost against Missouri, Vanderbilt and South Carolina?  Or, last year's 10 point loss to a 5-7 Ole Miss squad?  Just answered your question about the last time they lost by more than 34 points.

And, seriously:

NO! How many times does Gus have to say "no players are suspended" until y'all believe him??  

Really? LOL!

Lol now you're just REACHING. Last time I checked 34 points> 24 and we didn't blow ole miss out ourselves. Yes I'm happy with a 41-7 win with 535 yards of total offense and a dominant defense performance against the triple option. You can stew in your own misery if you want. FYI he didn't say they were suspended 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

FYI he didn't say they were suspended 

You're a semantical moron.

We did what we're supposed to do against a sun belt team, but didn't look good on offense which could be expected based on a new OC and a QB that hasn't played in over a year.

The problem is that a SUSPENDED (or a RB that couldn't play due to discipline reasons) RB caused us to over use our 2nd RB and cause an injury and now posses a problem for a game against a REAL football team.  Keep talking though, because I find you entertaining. :yes:

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

The problem is that a SUSPENDED (or a RB that couldn't play due to discipline reasons) RB caused us to over use our 2nd RB and cause an injury 

Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about. Not worth my time 

54fc7564d3b9e1c55ef606eb9de67654.jpg

28 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

The problem is that a SUSPENDED (or a RB that couldn't play due to discipline reasons) RB caused us to over use our 2nd RB and cause an injury and now posses a problem for a game against a REAL football team.

We still could have rotated any other RB from the set of Miller, Martin Barrett, etc....and he could have pulled the hammy at any time, regardless of whether Pettway was playing or not. 

I know that those in the know here say he'll be back, but I have a bad feeling in my gut about Pettway--he'll come back in very limited amounts, struggle, and then be dismissed, and we learn of attitude problems, etc. For us, it seems like there's no such thing as a one-time suspension (NM in 2014 is an exception). I pray it's the case here.

I was discouraged we did not see ANY not ONCE any screen passes or dump offs to the RBs. That is a chip lindsey special when he is running HIS offense the way he wants too. We are not fully taking advantage of KJ's ability by not throwing the ball to him. He was such a stud in the passing game in high school.

BTW a theme continued that has been going on for years. WHY ARE WE SO BAD AT  WR SCREENS?! We see every week every season teams execute a screen pass for a long gain or at least a first down. We struggle to get a few yards...... Blocking is so bad on the outside.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

was discouraged we did not see ANY not ONCE any screen passes or dump offs to the RBs.

Actually, on one of Stidham's scrambles,  KJ was going out into the flats, but Jarrett found an open running lane. Also, he did actually dump it off to Martin once in the 2nd half and tried to find Barrett on a wheel route.  I'd like to have seen a little more.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I know that those in the know here say he'll be back, but I have a bad feeling in my gut about Pettway--he'll come back in very limited amounts, struggle, and then be dismissed, and we learn of attitude problems, etc. For us, it seems like there's no such thing as a one-time suspension (NM in 2014 is an exception). I pray it's the case here.

Respectfully, I think you're totally off. 

The kid handled school, becoming a football stud, having a baby and being married so well last year that I will be SHOCKED if your prediction becomes true. 

Hopefully, it won't be an issue and he hops back in like he was never in trouble. 

^I WANT to be totally off on this one. I know that logically it doesn't make sense. But after all the fun we had with the Dyer, Duke, and Jovon fiascos, I've come to intuitively expect the worst.

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was discouraged we did not see ANY not ONCE any screen passes or dump offs to the RBs. That is a chip lindsey special when he is running HIS offense the way he wants too. We are not fully taking advantage of KJ's ability by not throwing the ball to him. He was such a stud in the passing game in high school.

Well... there is the fact that Johnson went down fairly early into the game and that is NOT Martin's strength. Had Johnson stayed healthy, we may have seen it... or we may have kept it under wraps.

Archived