I Just Learned Something Really New

Proud Tiger

I just learned something really new (sarcasm) although I had suspected it all the time. According to a workshop at Ohio State Univ. only white people can be racist.  I'm glad to know that. It explains a lot.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/20/ohio-state-university-privilege-workshop-says-only-white-people-can-be-racist.html

6 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I just learned something really new (sarcasm) although I had suspected it all the time. According to a workshop at Ohio State Univ. only white people can be racist.  I'm glad to know that. It explains a lot.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/20/ohio-state-university-privilege-workshop-says-only-white-people-can-be-racist.html

It largely depends on whether you go with the colloquial definition of racism vs the academic one.  The academic sense of racism means "prejudice combined with power or systemic influence."  The power could be numbers, the levers of government, money or all of the above.  It's basically a prejudiced outlook along with the ability to enact policies, laws and such that benefit ones own group over others.

What most people mean when they say "racism" however is "racial prejudice," simply meaning, "to hold stereotyped or negative views about races other than one's own."  And of course, that is something people of all races can be guilty of.  

I'm not saying you have to like or agree with the academic definition, but that is one of the main reasons you may hear something like the statement from your link.  If you are prejudiced but lack the influence or power to enact things that reinforce that view, you would not be considered "racist" in the academic sense.

Some of the worse racists I have ever met are non-white.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It largely depends on whether you go with the colloquial definition of racism vs the academic one.  The academic sense of racism means "prejudice combined with power or systemic influence."  The power could be numbers, the levers of government, money or all of the above.  It's basically a prejudiced outlook along with the ability to enact policies, laws and such that benefit ones own group over others.

What most people mean when they say "racism" however is "racial prejudice," simply meaning, "to hold stereotyped or negative views about races other than one's own."  And of course, that is something people of all races can be guilty of.  

I'm not saying you have to like or agree with the academic definition, but that is one of the main reasons you may hear something like the statement from your link.  If you are prejudiced but lack the influence or power to enact things that reinforce that view, you would not be considered "racist" in the academic sense.

The academic meaning seems to be an invented and unnecessary new meaning.

Racism is nothing more than race based prejudice. Inventing new meanings to words that are already well scrutinized is only muddying the waters for the future scholastic endeavors that seek answers into it. Racism occurs, with and without power, so the idea that only white people can be racist is utterly false. If a black CEO told his workers that a white person would never work for him, that's racism. Same for the white CEO. 

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Some of the worse racists I have ever met are non-white.

The worst racists I know are black. Just watch TV. Just look at all the athletes on schollies or making big money in the pros complaining about inequality while 90% are black.

25 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

The worst racists I know are black. Just watch TV. Just look at all the athletes on schollies or making big money in the pros complaining about inequality while 90% are black.

Does complaining about inequality make one racist? Please explain.

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Serious question for you TT. And anyone else that knows.

What level of power is required before you can be academically called racist?

If a white 1SG and a black CPT tell their company that people that look like them get a weekend pass but all others (Asian, Hispanic, NA, etc) have to stay in and work.

Is the white 1SG racist (because he alone is white and whites rule our country) or are both racist (because they both hold power over the company)?

Just now, Mims44 said:

Serious question for you TT. And anyone else that knows.

What level of power is required before you can be academically called racist?

If a white 1SG and a black CPT tell their company that people that look like them get a weekend pass but all others (Asian, Hispanic, NA, etc) have to stay in and work.

Is the white 1SG racist (because he alone is white and whites rule our country) or are both racist (because they both hold power over the company)?

I'm not necessarily making that argument, I'm just pointing out that the two sides are often not using the same definitions and end up talking past each other.  

It's just a word.  Regardless of which version you go with, you just need to make sure you are both talking about the same things or that you're clear about what it is that you ARE and AREN'T saying when you use certain words.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I'm not necessarily making that argument, I'm just pointing out that the two sides are often not using the same definitions and end up talking past each other.  

It's just a word.  Regardless of which version you go with, you just need to make sure you are both talking about the same things or that you're clear about what it is that you ARE and AREN'T saying when you use certain words.

Oh, I wasn't looking for an argument. Merely wanting a more precise definition.

I've seen the academic definition used multiple times (surprisingly not in college, but a lot on facebook) But I have never had someone answer what level or how much power someone has to hold before they can be called racist in an academic sense.

IE: Can a non white business owner? Mayor? Governor? Surgeon General? Senator? President? ever be racist in an academic sense?

IE: " "

^

Fits the new formula. If a Christian that runs a bakery can be considered a bigot because her views on homosexuality altered the populations she'd bake for, other races can most assuredly be guilty of intertwining racist or political beliefs with workplace hiring and/ or standard operation procedures. 

Doesn't fit the "only white people can be racist" narrative though.

19 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Couldn't a case can be made that non white races have a lot of power and influence over white people just by claiming white people are "racist"?  Its the biggest shame out there and most would do just about anything to avoid the label. 

Archived