***FINAL: Auburn 51 Mizzou 14***

RunInRed

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We have had redzone issues for three years running. Having the ability to pass inside the ten is the top thing on my wishlist and should be on yours too. 

Would a fade to Kyle Davis be too much to ask?  That kid's a stud and he can go up and get it.  If they have a small CB on him with no safety help you HAVE to throw a fade in the endzone to KD. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

See lots of offensive drives by passing teams get bogged down inside the ten unless they can run the ball too. 

Exactly. We cannot be one dimensional at the goal line. Has to have variety.

Hell, the pick play penalty is never even called at the college level. Do that. 

I'm not sure why we continued to run IZ against their alignment, they were giving us the edge all night.  However, we rarely called designated outside runs except the jet sweeps. If we had called a buck sweep with KMart, he would've scored almost every time.  KMart needs to consistently be a part of this offense.

I agree that we should've worked on our RZ game. Wildcat is not the answer against MSU, LSU, UGA, or UA. Fades, rubs, China, slant, digs need to be a part of our RZ arsenal

Our passing was better, but routes were still long developing and would've been exposed against a pass rush.  Our tree still seems limited to post, and deep outs.  I'm not confident in us being able to get 5 yards on 3rd and 4 passing the ball like Clemson does with Renfrow.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure why we continued to run IZ against their alignment, they were giving us the edge all night.  However, we rarely called designated outside runs except the jet sweeps. If we had called a buck sweep with KMart, he would've scored almost every time.  KMart needs to consistently be a part of this offense.

I agree that we should've worked on our RZ game. Wildcat is not the answer against MSU, LSU, UGA, or UA.

Our passing was better, but routes were still long developing and would've been exposed against a pass rush.  Our tree still seems limited to post, and deep outs.  I'm not confident in us being able to get 5 yards on 3rd and 4 passing the ball like Clemson does with Renfrow.

This. This all day long.  Dang it Bird you know just how to put things to make them sound reasonable and accurate.  

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree that we should've worked on our RZ game. Wildcat is not the answer against MSU, LSU, UGA, or UA. Fades, rubs, China, slant, digs need to be a part of our RZ arsenal

A simple slant would do wonders when we need to just get to the sticks. Watched the Aggies do it all day yesterday

35 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

We still aren't getting the push we need up the middle in the run game, we aren't using the middle of the field in the passing game and we are relying too heavily on the Wildcat in the red zone. 

Can we not try and pass the ball across the goal line....ever? No fades to Canella, Davis or jump balls?  Missouri is in shambles right now as a football team. After a certain point, we should have been working on our weaknesses, instead of going back to the same old, same old. 

For the love of Pete, can we stop the nonsense where we have a RB sprint for 50+ yards and then HUNH just to give the same RB the ball on a dive up the middle for no gain? It is beyond logic. 

Nice win, but we still have an awful lot to work out. 

This was my one bitching moment in last nights thread. KM just had ran a 50 yarder. Why rush to the line and have him run a dive the next play. Throw a quick out or a slant. It is as good as a running play. Other than that, not too much I can complain about. At that MW did as well as he could being a true freshman. Thought the defense played pretty good, but fell asleep a couple of times. WRs need to work on blocking. Cut down on the screen passes. Offensive Line showed better grit, but they need to get nasty...That is one thing I like about Arkansas O-Line. They are nowhere near as talented as us, but they can get nasty up front need be. 

Just now, DAG said:

This was my one bitching moment in last nights thread. KM just had ran a 50 yarder. Why rush to the line and have him run a dive the next play. Throw a quick out or a slant. It is as good as a running play. Other than that, not too much I can complain about. At that MW did as well as he could being a true freshman. Thought the defense played pretty good, but fell asleep a couple of times. WRs need to work on blocking. Cut down on the screen passes. Offensive Line showed better grit, but they need to get nasty...That is one thing I like about Arkansas O-Line. They are nowhere near as talented as us, but they can get nasty up front need be. 

I saw someone yesterday, and I want to say it was A&M but can't remember, where they had a big run, ran up to the line to hurry up and FAKED a run up the middle and through a quick slant that was WIDE open and gained another 20 yards and I yelled out at the TV why can't we do that!!???

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

A simple slant would do wonders when we need to just get to the sticks. Watched the Aggies do it all day yesterday

This drives me nuts. I see other teams utilize quick slants and quick outs all the time.  I remember we ran one against GA. Southern where Ryan Davis turned it into a TD.  Why are they so rare in our offense? 

BTW, that touchdown pass that was ultimately called back by MW...That is that this offense needs. CGM has to have a player who can make things happen, even when they aren't supposed to. I don't know if CCL needs that, but it felt very much like the offense we are accustomed to. Keep recruiting the JGs of the world Gus if it will get us to perform and safe your job.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I saw someone yesterday, and I want to say it was A&M but can't remember, where they had a big run, ran up to the line to hurry up and FAKED a run up the middle and through a quick slant that was WIDE open and gained another 20 yards and I yelled out at the TV why can't we do that!!???

Chip Kelly and the Oregon Ducks made a living out of simple things like that.

Huge improvement, if they improve again next week they could be tough to beat. We shall see. But Stidham has been the most improved over the past couple weeks ever who is working with him is doing well. Gus needs to do what he did last night work the sideline as a head coach. oline still has work to do in pass protection

I think my own expectations are hurting me here but I'm really concerned about our running game now. Kerryon's stats are ugly and the two young runners really performed better.

However, we walked out with a massive win on a SEC team and the passing offense looked much better. I too would like to see some different things in the red zone but I have to agree you do what works when facing a conference opponent.

I hope we have a few more moments this year where Malik Willis can get some reps. Very raw talent. 

i cant help but wonder if this is our arkansas game of last year?     where we finally pulled it all together but couldnt do it again for the rest of the year.  False hope against bottom of the SEC competition?   I cant buy into it just yet, not after how we played against mercer and how clemson played against BC yesterday.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes, we need to work on some other aspects of redzone offense besides the Wildcat.  But it has been effective and we wanted to get up on them and not screw around.  UGA ran wildcat yesterday a few snaps with Nick Chubb.  It's part of offenses these days and in goal line situations, it's still not a bad call as long as we diversify.  It gives you an extra blocker you don't have when a QB hands the ball off.

You're really straining at gnats to be this upset about a 51-14 thumping on the road.  I'm not saying "all is well" and we're running the table.  I've said all along that  this 4-game stretch we need to improve rapidly before LSU but I think we are starting to get there.  It didn't show against Mercer much because of sloppy ball handling.  But we did what we were supposed to do last night.  We didn't struggle, we were aggressive, KJ looked healthy, defense played well especially without their leading tackler out there and a starting CB not playing.  Yes, there's still a lot of things to improve on, but be happy man!

Wow haven't heard that one in a long time. good one tt

Like I said to Bird earlier:

Happy for the win and glad we emptied the bench but, my primary takeaway is that Mizzou might be one of the worst SEC teams I've ever seen.

I think the protests played some part in their death spiral but I think that moving to the SEC was a suicide move for their recruiting (which is why it took a few years for such effects to show up). Purely and simply, they don't fit here. They'd be so much better off if they had joined the B1G with Nebraska.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

that stadium looks like a dump on tv. I mean rocks in the end zone?! really? SO BOBO!!!! Makes Jordan-Hare with all of our cosmetic issues look like jerry world in comparison! lol

It's not a dump at all.  Probably comparable to Kentucky's stadium.  The Rock M end zone is actually super cool to see.  Long time tradition of theirs.

You want a dump?  Go see a game at the Coliseum in Los Angeles.  That place succkkssss.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yes. That appeared deliberate and wish he was flagged for a fragrant and ejected. Willis was taking some nasty frustration hits from Missouri.  Reminded me of Cam in his first ProBowl. 

I was worried about MW last night running that read option.  Was screaming that he needed to either hand off or throw the ball by reading a defense (only way he's gonna learn).  He takes one big hit running the ball and we no longer have a viable back up.

1 hour ago, War Knight said:

I think my own expectations are hurting me here but I'm really concerned about our running game now. Kerryon's stats are ugly and the two young runners really performed better.

However, we walked out with a massive win on a SEC team and the passing offense looked much better. I too would like to see some different things in the red zone but I have to agree you do what works when facing a conference opponent.

I hope we have a few more moments this year where Malik Willis can get some reps. Very raw talent. 

I think you are correct about the running game. A lot of 3 yd and less attempts. No big holes and Kerryon looks slow to the hole. Also noticed Golson playing both RT and LT. Have we quit pulling the guards? Does this relate to just running mostly IZ? Still have major concerns about the run game and OLine.

Slants are needed. Whoever said that nailed it . 

Mizzou reminded me of AU 2012. They had no fire or will . They have a great passing offense. And the punter was excellent 

mcbride played well in the backup role 

No doubt stidham is our qb. He can Throw accurate passes and might be the best natural passer we have had in a long time. The question is can he work in malzahns offense against a real defense. Willis looks like a deer  in headlights. He is not ready yet. In his defense as usual we gave him a bunch of generic crap to run. If stidham gets hurt were screwed.

1 hour ago, selias said:

Like I said to Bird earlier:

Happy for the win and glad we emptied the bench but, my primary takeaway is that Mizzou might be one of the worst SEC teams I've ever seen.

And Auburn did exactly what they were supposed to do to them. Beat them like a drum. I liked how the team showed ball security, guys were holding onto the ball real tight, especially R Davis. Seems ball security was a definite focus in practice. Good win over a talented but poorly coached Missouri team. I will take it. 

Was very happy and excited about the win. Glad Willis got PT. Glad we used other RBs and let Pettway rest. Still a long ways to go. Was just damn excited to see improvement. 

Just wondering and this is a serious question ...but do people really think MW would just trot out there and be polished in his first collegiate game as a true freshman ? I am baffled by some of the responses. 

Archived