Up 20-0, here's the play chart

DyeCampAlum

Some people on here have lost all sense of reality.  Think about what you are saying before you type it.   I’m not saying they will win out but if by some miracle they did.    Auburn would be in the championship game and some want him fired.   Now that’s insanity.   If he were to win out, Gus would have turned the corner as a coach because the Coach that is Gus right now won’t win those games.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope we do win out. i'll be back on the bus..... But that game yesterday was lost by Gus. There is no undoing that one. I don't see him changing. I do state this is the first game he lost that there is no excuse or explanation for. he blew it. I don't think chip is calling these plays. on or two plays could have won that game but we should have won by three tds easily.

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

i hope we do win out. i'll be back on the bus..... But that game yesterday was lost by Gus. There is no undoing that one. I don't see him changing. I do state this is the first game he lost that there is no excuse or explanation for. he blew it. I don't think chip is calling these plays. on or two plays could have won that game but we should have won by three tds easily.

Really?  You will be back on the bus?  This guy is killing AU football; he has to go and the sooner the better.  

2 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

Really?  You will be back on the bus?  This guy is killing AU football; he has to go and the sooner the better.  

If we win the sec? you still want to fire him?

5 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Yep. Gus is not n a good spot atm and that is all I am going to say on this matter. Winning out which is very unlikely or beating UGA and close loss to bama is only way I see this staying the current path. That was the worst loss this decade for Auburn football. The title game is the most important loss of the decade but this is the worst. We have top 5 talent and we're up by 20 early in the 2nd quarter. I was very surprised that our defense let Danny E play the best game of the year. Our leader got hurt in the 1st quarter on defense or one of then and the other has been hurt most of year. Also Daniel Thomas has to catch the int and put the game away before half. The defense only gave up 17 though and are injured and have given their all this year. I don't see the team quitting on Gus, but he just screwed up and believe me he knows it. The worst call of the game in my opinion was punting on 4th and 1 at the 50 in the 4th quarter when we were leading by 2. We have a walk on punter who is not very good at all.  Kerryon would have gotten a 1st and we would have put the game away with a fg. KJ was getting 5 yards a run during that series minus the 3rd down run. Also Kodi Burns (which I hate calling out coaches especially an Auburn man) needs to be let go today imo. The wr can't catch and they aren't prepared for anything except how to block. Gus gambled and chose his path. 

Yes we have top 5 or 10 talent but not a top 10 team which lies solely at Gus's feet. Our defensive secondary is thin due to lack of recuriting and every year hiring a different secondary coach. Gus has hired a sub par offensive line coach, a intern receivers coach, lost a good special teams coach under strange circumstances. Now he has hired a OC, who if he is truly calling the plays is lost. I for one do not think he is calling the plays this is Gus's play calling 101. 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes, because the only way we win out and beat UGA and Bama is if they are somehow forced to forfeit. Gus needs to be fired and replace Terry Bowden at Akron when he retires. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

That is laughable we are not going to win the sec. Georgia and Bama are going to bury us neck deep. Gus just is not a P5 coach but you are entitled to your opinion but the Gus bus has lost its engine, transmission and rear end has fallen out and the tires are flat.

1 hour ago, Tigercj said:

That is laughable we are not going to win the sec. Georgia and Bama are going to bury us neck deep. Gus just is not a P5 coach but you are entitled to your opinion but the Gus bus has lost its engine, transmission and rear end has fallen out and the tires are flat.

I did not originate that hypothetical nor predict it to happen. 

I am no fan of Houston Nutt, but I now understand why he canned him years ago. Was warned of this by Arkansas insiders back in 2013.

He is high school coach that let’s stars cut class and above other student rules.

i know Chizic lost the team but did Malzahn undermine and back stab?  I always felt the decision to hire Gus was made before Chizic was fired.

The "win the sec" scenario is pretty far fetched and probably not worth thinking about.

However, the beat everyone except UGA and bama to finish 8-4 is not. And I think everyone is way underestimating the chances Gus keeps his job in that scenario. It took losing seasons before the last 4 AU coaches were fired.

So 8-4 and being the #3 team in the state seniors winless against major rivals and Gus gets to keep his multi million dollar job!?!  Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, ertrader said:

The "win the sec" scenario is pretty far fetched and probably not worth thinking about.

However, the beat everyone except UGA and bama to finish 8-4 is not. And I think everyone is way underestimating the chances Gus keeps his job in that scenario. It took losing seasons before the last 4 AU coaches were fired.

13 hours ago, tigereye78 said:

When you, the usually optimistic austudent23, start making the comments others have for a while now,  I know things are rancid on the team and the situation is dire. I read an article that said that:  "the Gus Malzahn Auburn hired and the Gus Malzahn we now have are two totally different coaches". It made a truly compelling argument that I totally agree with. If I can find it again I'll post it here.

Here's the article. So true. I don't know what happened to him. He was truly the man back in the day.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/auburn/gus-malzahn-auburn-has-not-gus-malzahn-auburn-hired/amp

10 hours ago, ertrader said:

No s*** that isn’t far fetched . Don’t need Gus Malzahn to do that . Beat all the teams you are More talented than lose to those of equal or more talented. The problem is that winning the SEC should not be far fetched for Auburn. That is why he needs to go .

15 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

For those of you in anguish and torment about what to do with Gus if AU wins out, let me soothe your physique.  

Aint happenin'

Uh, psyche perhaps?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

No s*** that isn’t far fetched . Don’t need Gus Malzahn to do that . Beat all the teams you are More talented than lose to those of equal or more talented. The problem is that winning the SEC should not be far fetched for Auburn. That is why he needs to go .

I don't have any inside sources like some on here but I know people who do and they have been saying since start of the season that Gus had to win 9 or 10 and one of those had to be UGA or bama. Anything less and he would be gone.  I hope they hold to that. 

It's all about the half time adjustments. Every other coach in America makes them (college and pro), except for our illustrious coach. The second half point total of the last 2 games tells the story. 9 points against Ole Piss and 0 points against LSU. Gus has got plan A and absolutely no plan B. This is his downfall.

After watching the LSU debacle,  I'm in no way confident we'll beat A&M and Arkansas much less UGA or Bama.  

It's more probable we end up at 7-5 than we do 9-3.  That is absolutely unacceptable given the talent level on this team.

Who cares if Malzahn is actually calling each play? The offense and philosophy has his fingerprints all over it.

The team collapsed in the 2nd half. I will give you guys that but you can't put all of that on the coach. There were chances throughout that game for us to stop them and we didn't execute.

1. Thomas drops INT before half, next play TD. There was almost 2 min on the clock we could have easily turned that into points

2. Slayton had at least 3 drops in the second half that would have extended drives. (2nd, 4th, 5th) Throw in Sals drop as well there

3. Chark's TD return should have been called back from the block in the back on Stove

I agree, the play calling in the 2nd half could have been better but it wasn't like we didn't have the chance, the team flat out didn't execute.

This problem of big game game-planning started in 2015 and I keep hoping for the offensive staff to fix it. Yet here we are midway through 2017 season and the game plan continues to be the Achilles' Heel of this team. I just can not foresee any way we break that mold meaning we will not win out from here. We could absolutely do it with the talent we have here but dive plays and 40-50 yard vertical passes into double coverage will beat no one...

22 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't see the team quitting on Gus, but he just screwed up and believe me he knows it.

Always appreciate your insight AU23, please do not take my comments as directed at you, but I believe the team is already beginning to quit on CGM.  Kerryon called Malzahn out by saying "we let our foot off the gas." He's calling out CGM with that comment; on national television. Also, Stidham is calling out Gus/Chip by saying he's not allowed to audible so "go talk to the coaches about it, he's just doing what he's told." (WOW! He's ready for a change.) To me, that sounds like your two star players have lost faith and trust in the coach, not good.  They seem frustrated, embarrassed, and frankly deflated. I've never heard a college player use such pointed language towards the coaches ability, especially at Auburn. I'm afraid that the smiles we saw from Stidham at the beginning of the year, will and are beginning to give way to spite, bitterness, and possibly regret.

Also, I don't think "screwed up" is the best term here. It's more like Gus had another"self-realization" moment  and knows that he isn't capable of self-control to win big games. How many more times does this happen? The national championship loss, 2016 & 2017 Clemson losses, 2016 UGA loss, now 2017 LSU loss.  Then there's his records against LSU, UGA, and UA. Any CEO/Executive in corporate America would be fired today, actually fired last year for such poor leadership.

I really wish they'd fire Gus today. We do have Top 5-10 talent and should take advantage of it this year.  I'm the type that prefers stability and long-term, but its hard to watch the players being sent to the slaughterhouse due to the coaches ego/ignorance/fear.  Make Steele interim, let Lindsay do his thing, and lets see if we can run the table. It's been proven over 4 years that Gus Malzahn is the problem and getting in the way; he can't adapt, there's a mental block. I feel terrible for the guys and can't imagine going to practice for a coach who left them out to dry.... again. As for the fanbase, we control our money and spend it where we choose. Preferably it's supporting Auburn athletics. But 7 years of Gus Malzahn will keep me on the couch until he's gone. So glad I didn't spend money going to Baton Rouge, but luckily the history of Gus in big games kept me skeptical of going.

We will be 7-5 with losses to A&M, UGA and Bama still on the schedule. Get ready for the BHAM bowl again... It is crazy how in one game I go from feeling like this team will be a major player competing for a championship to utter despair. 

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

It's all about the half time adjustments. Every other coach in America makes them (college and pro), except for our illustrious coach. The second half point total of the last 2 games tells the story. 9 points against Ole Piss and 0 points against LSU. Gus has got plan A and absolutely no plan B. This is his downfall.

The issue in this game, as I see it, was the plan was to be ahead by the half and sit on the lead.  Therefore, there was no adjustments to be made at half.  Same for Ole Miss.  This is why he is so inept at scoring in the 3rd qtr in his HC career. The opposing defensive coordinator adjusts and Gus has not clue what to do, as he doesn’t see how to adjust during the game.  When he does make adjustments during the 2nd half, it’s usually too late or ill advised (see LSU this year and UGA last year).

He has high paid resources, but never listens to those resources.  I would be willing to bet Chip and Kevin were in his ear during the second half, Kevin especially as his side of the ball was affected by injuries and just plain wearing out from all the 3 and outs.

Gus just knows better and that is no way to run anything, especially an operation that depends on performance.  There is no open lines of communication, the communication is only one way and that makes it frustrating for the support staff.  It’s probably already happened that the coordinators have stopped offering advise and just take what ever Gus says.

Archived