Another mind boggling quote

TigerOne

I think he probably overestimated the ability of our defense, and underestimated LSU's ability to make and execute changes, and probably never considered the heat index and its effects on our players, special team breakdowns and the effect of dumbing down our offense to a level commensurate with LSU's defensive ability. 

Our players were benched in the sun while LSU's players were benched in the shade. The heat index on the field exceeded 100 degrees. I believe this and the significant amount of playing time on the field in the 2nd half for the players was a major contributor to a slowly wilting defense. Player recovery had to be affected. Not to mention the special teams breakdown.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Good coaches are never”happy” about a lead. They insist that their players play 60 minutes like they were trained to do. If you get a big lead it is good to allow your younger players to get experience starting late in the third quarter or even later than that. Even with a big lead you will normally see good teams bring their starters back and work to score the first couple of drives the second half. How many times have you heard good coach say “ we have to play 60 minutes. 

Exactly.  This is why Saban rarely ever smiles until he's holding a trophy in the air.  He's always looking to get better and cut some of the mistakes that were made, even after a win.  That's the mark of an elite coach, and sadly we don't have one.  

1 hour ago, auskull said:

I think he probably overestimated the ability of our defense, and underestimated LSU's ability to make and execute changes, and probably never considered the heat index and its effects on our players, special team breakdowns and the effect of dumbing down our offense to a level commensurate with LSU's defensive ability. 

Our players were benched in the sun while LSU's players were benched in the shade. The heat index on the field exceeded 100 degrees. I believe this and the significant amount of playing time on the field in the 2nd half for the players was a major contributor to a slowly wilting defense. Player recovery had to be affected. Not to mention the special teams breakdown.

Not picking on you auskull, because other people have mentioned this, but hears a news flash.  The visitors side of “Death Valley” has always been in the sun.  We don’t get to pick what side our team sits on, Auburn should have understood this going in and adapted.  In NC, we get weather about 24 hours after Atlanta.  In the past, when the first ice storm hit Atlanta, we are shocked just a day later that an ice storm snuck up on us.  The weather people, sometimes, forget to look outside.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not picking on you auskull, because other people have mentioned this, but hears a news flash.  The visitors side of “Death Valley” has always been in the sun.  We don’t get to pick what side our team sits on, Auburn should have understood this going in and adapted.  In NC, we get weather about 24 hours after Atlanta.  In the past, when the first ice storm hit Atlanta, we are shocked just a day later that an ice storm snuck up on us.  The weather people, sometimes, forget to look outside.

Agreed, not trying to justify why we lost but only to point out he should have taken all this into consideration and I don't think he did. Not surprising really.

Even in high school our head coach would tell us if they do this on offense we are going to do this. Now, if they do this we are going to do this.

Gus the Great, on the other hand, on offense we will start off running up the middle. If they bring extra defenders in the box we will continue to run it up the middle.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:17 PM, auskip07 said:

hell remember the SEC championship game vs SC  2010  where we beat them so bad Spurrier wasnt the same?   i want the offensive coordinator that called a hail mary  before half time to remove any doubt as to our intention on scoring.   

We have him....with Cam we would be undefeated because the bad playcalling would just result in Cam running for a td. Also, we constantly throw Hail Marys ?

For the record, he didn’t really underestimate the defense. They gave up 17 points, and 3 of those cane on a 19 yard drive. They did the job. He underestimated the possibility of anything else happening. He gave the team zero room for error, and the punt return cost the team the game. It was a bad read on a game where we were more talented at almost every position. 

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

For the record, he didn’t really underestimate the defense. They gave up 17 points, and 3 of those cane on a 19 yard drive. They did the job. He underestimated the possibility of anything else happening. He gave the team zero room for error, and the punt return cost the team the game. It was a bad read on a game where we were more talented at almost every position. 

Kinda like the last couple of UGA games.....same story

Archived