Florida, McElwain part ways

WDE_OxPx_2010

Blowing up on Twitter.

"Following last night’s 42-7 loss to Georgia to drop the Gators to 3-4 on the season, Florida and Jim McElwain parted ways this morning, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday.

The Gators have lost three in a row to LSU, Texas A&M, and UGA after starting the season 3-1. Those three wins came against Tennessee, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt."

Link

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos to UF.  They realize that McElwain is not the answer and are making the right move to fire him and move on.

wde

Crazy thing is two weeks ago I don't think many people would have said his seat was all that hot.  All the guys in this league who seem destined for that fate and Big Jim was first to go.  There's an AD with a plan and the guts to execute it.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Crazy thing is two weeks ago I don't think many people would have said his seat was all that hot.  All the guys in this league who seem destined for that fate and Big Jim was first to go.  There's an AD with a plan and the guts to execute it.

I would have lost in a who gets fired in the SEC first pool. I never would have thought it would be him. I would’ve had Sumlin or Jones out first.

44 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Actually there is an AD who made two really bad hires in a row and is trying to buy his way out of the problems he created. 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Actually there is an AD who made two really bad hires in a row and is trying to buy his way out of the problems he created. 

Jeremy Foley hired Muschamp and McElwain, right?  

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Jeremy Foley hired Muschamp and McElwain, right?  

To some extent he is their version of JJ....been there forever...started in the ticket office 40 years ago. ...probably done a better job but also made all of their bad hires too......and has more resources.   Done about as well as anyone in a similar role.   

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

To some extent he is their version of JJ....been there forever...started in the ticket office 40 years ago. ...probably done a better job but also made all of their bad hires too......and has more resources.   Done about as well as anyone in a similar role.   

He is no longer the AD. Scott Stricklin took over earlier this year.  He hired Mullen at Miss. St.  We'll see what he can do at Florida now. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

He is no longer the AD. Scott Stricklin took over earlier this year.  He hired Mullen at Miss. St.  We'll see what he can do at Florida now. 

Thanks....had missed that.....and more than interesting considering the Mullen connection...assuming they get along well that might be DM's next stop.  .

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Take another guess.

wde

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Certainly puts us behind the 8-ball.

UF is a better job than AU, but there are several candidates out there with potential.

wde

19 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

UF is a better job than AU, but there are several candidates out there with potential.

wde

Not so sure about UF being better than Auburn. Maybe  equal or just marginally better but not by much. It is hard to really pick who in the top tier schools are better than that others. My top tier group would be:

Top tier: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Lsu, Uga....Next UT, TAMU, Ark.....Next OM, Usc, Msu...last...KY, VU & Mizzou

Mullen will stay at MSU most likely. Look for UF to go after a young and up and coming coach.

Just now, doc4aday said:

Not so sure about UF being better than Auburn. Maybe  equal or just marginally better but not by much. It is hard to really pick who in the top tier schools are better than that others. My top tier group would be:

Top tier: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Lsu, Uga....Next UT, TAMU, Ark.....Next OM, Usc, Msu...last...KY, VU & Mizzou

I think we are in the top tier and above UT, but UF is the flagship school in a state with unreal talent.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

I think we are in the top tier and above UT, but UF is the flagship school in a state with unreal talent.

wde

you could be right. You know though, before Spurrier, UF was a graveyard for coaches. Lsu was for at least 25 years a graveyard for coaches till Saban. I think that Coach O will sooner than later bring Lsu down into the middle of the pack.

25 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Yep....hard to believe they could go so long without a top QB....though seems like recent OC's at UF have not run the offenses that the high schools run down there.  ...and not getting the right guys or best athletes.  

Meanwhile UF had about a dozen guys suspended early in the season and far as I know, most are still not back.    Seems they never had a chance to be very good this year. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Mullen to UF? Isn't a slam dunk but he will have UF better IMO. 

Their fans seem to be 50/50 about it.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....hard to believe they could go so long without a top QB....though seems like recent OC's at UF have not run the offenses that the high schools run down there.  ...and not getting the right guys or best athletes.  

Meanwhile UF had about a dozen guys suspended early in the season and far as I know, most are still not back.    Seems they never had a chance to be very good this year. 

Suspended for criminal behavior by guys recruited by McElwain.  Would you be in favor of giving McElwain another year?

wde

Archived