Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

Seems to me that Pearl is the one trying to get them eligible and our own AD is the adversary ... until our AD get the magic OK from NCAA ... and who knows when/if that will happen.  And since we don’t have an AD, it is the president I guess.  Which is what was so bothersome about Frankie Spencer’s lawyer statements and the bizarre emails that Leath sent out to random alumni 

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Seems to me that Pearl is the one trying to get them eligible and our own AD is the adversary ... until our AD get the magic OK from NCAA ... and who knows when/if that will happen.  And since we don’t have an AD, it is the president I guess.  Which is what was so bothersome about Frankie Spencer’s lawyer statements and the bizarre emails that Leath sent out to random alumni 

I guess I just don’t see Auburn’s AD as the adversary here. I think they’re working with the NCAA to find out if these players can be eligible. I think it’s a unique situation, and there aren’t easy answers. It’s taking time. I do think Auburn is trying to get them eligible, but they aren’t going to allow them to play if it risks the potential success of the current season. 

At this point, if there is any way AU would have to forfeit games if something is uncovered and they play Wiley or Purifoy, I’m glad that AU AU has held them out. Things are going pretty OK without them. Yeah, it would be better, but I’d hate to risk what’s going on now. 

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

Right now, Auburn has them suspended. They are working on providing info to the NCAA to see if the players can become eligible. If so, Auburn will go through the process of certification. 

The issue Auburn has with a sworn statement and presenting it to the NCAA as proof is the NCAA is using the FBI’s investigation as their proof that violations were committed. Person says he gave money to two families. It seems Auburn is having to prove that didn’t happen, which IMO seems nearly impossible. 

On the punishment, I don’t know. Based on previous cases, I think it’s possible to get these guys reinstated and playing if they pay the money back and sit out some games. But who do they pay back and how many games is enough?

Thanks for your response. 

This sounds like your classic 'Catch 22' situation.

I feel sorry for those kids, but it's hard for me to see how the NCAA is going to give them a chance to redemn their eligibility.  Not that that's good, it just is.

In my (non-expert) opinion, there's no way we see them this season and probably not next.  But who knows? :dunno:

47 minutes ago, jared52 said:

At this point, if there is any way AU would have to forfeit games if something is uncovered and they play Wiley or Purifoy, I’m glad that AU AU has held them out. Things are going pretty OK without them. Yeah, it would be better, but I’d hate to risk what’s going on now. 

Exactly.  And I don't really see how anyone is really incented to press getting them back on the court.  Even Pearl has to be conflicted. 

Persons really messed up a lot of lives. :no: 

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Danjel wasn’t at the game tonight per Twitter. That might be telling for him. 

He has the flu

Just now, bigbird said:

He has the flu

I said telling, not that he was gone. It’s telling that he probably has some illness and is in now way giving up his chance to play for AU. 

Geez Bird... what did you THINK I meant?? :P

On 1/6/2018 at 1:45 PM, boomstick said:

Right now, Auburn has them suspended. They are working on providing info to the NCAA to see if the players can become eligible. If so, Auburn will go through the process of certification. 

The issue Auburn has with a sworn statement and presenting it to the NCAA as proof is the NCAA is using the FBI’s investigation as their proof that violations were committed. Person says he gave money to two families. It seems Auburn is having to prove that didn’t happen, which IMO seems nearly impossible. 

On the punishment, I don’t know. Based on previous cases, I think it’s possible to get these guys reinstated and playing if they pay the money back and sit out some games. But who do they pay back and how many games is enough?

I’m curious what proof the FBI can offer that money was or wasn’t accepted.  In the original complaint against Person, the government witness did indeed witness one of the families take $1,000 cash.  While one of the two obviously received illegal benefit, There was no mention of the second family taking cash.  

When asked by the government witness if they gave the families more money, Person and the suit guy both indicated later that they also gave each family singinicant money, but that seems odd.  The whole reason this scam was created was because person and the suit guy (Michel) were looking to benefit financially.  Given the way Person was acting in the discussions with Michel, it seemed he was desperate for cash.  I don’t know if I can believe Person actually gave someone money when he was in a state of desperation to get money quickly for some reason.  Seems odd the suit guy would either.  This is the same guy that fought with Dominique Wilkins at a Hawks game over $13,000 in payments that Wilkins owed the suit guy for some suits.   Person is obviously a greedy guy if he was willing to risk his job for some quick cash.  Seems plausible he just TOLD the government witness that he gave them 5 figures.  

This team is playing so well right now but AU really needs more size to make a serious run.  IMO, the parents should work out a deal with FBI & NCAA, pay back the money, CS, probation, etc., kids loose this year but stay in school?

Purifoy was my favorite AU player last year to watch. As I am sure SO MANY will be just SHOCKED to know lol I love a really good offensive player and a great 3 point shooter who can score in bunches. He was so fun to watch last year just and can flat out get buckets. I can admit though he has more of a classic nba style of game to him where it is not about ball movement and getting everyone involved it is about going iso and just worrying about getting his. He also was flat out the worst defender out of the starters last year and has so many bad habits. This may be the case of addition by subtraction. I can not sit here and say we are honestly any better if he was out there. We are going to miss wiley though. That loss is so huge for a team who's honestly only weakness right now is lack of size which leads to lack of rebounding in certain matchups. That could be the difference in winning and losing in the sec tourney and KNOCK ON WOOD if we make it the ncaa tourney. We are AMAZINGLY the second leading rebounding team in the conference behind TAMU. We are playing out of our minds on the boards. I just hope it is sustainable without wiley throughout the stretch run.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Purifoy was my favorite AU player last year to watch. As I am sure SO MANY will be just SHOCKED to know lol I love a really good offensive player and a great 3 point shooter who can score in bunches. He was so fun to watch last year just and can flat out get buckets. I can admit though he has more of a classic nba style of game to him where it is not about ball movement and getting everyone involved it is about going iso and just worrying about getting his. He also was flat out the worst defender out of the starters last year and has so many bad habits. This may be the case of addition by subtraction. I can not sit here and say we are honestly any better if he was out there. We are going to miss wiley though. That loss is so huge for a team who's honestly only weakness right now is lack of size which leads to lack of rebounding in certain matchups. That could be the difference in winning and losing in the sec tourney and KNOCK ON WOOD if we make it the ncaa tourney. We are AMAZINGLY the second leading rebounding team in the conference behind TAMU. We are playing out of our minds on the boards. I just hope it is sustainable without wiley throughout the stretch run.

SO your fav player was a guy who could hit 4 3s in a row, or miss 4 3s in a row, or simply fall down with no one around him, guard no one(= terrible D), or jack up a shot that all of us inc Coach Pearl would cringe at?:slapfh:I agree he could be better in NBA, but even in the NBA he HAS to be more consistent.

I think Wiley is the one we need back the most, just bc I could see at the Ark game, we struggled with height and muscle inside (I think we lost the rebounding battle)...but..I would NOT start Wiley and disrupt this chemistry...only slowly bring him into games. He would have to be super rusty...

I will not stand for people to write off a hobbled, freshman Danjel as if that was his final form! He was growing just like the rest of the team! 

Heron and Harper took so many bad shots last season but now look at them. Danjel would've matured as well as his game. 

12 hours ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

I’m curious what proof the FBI can offer that money was or wasn’t accepted.  In the original complaint against Person, the government witness did indeed witness one of the families take $1,000 cash.  While one of the two obviously received illegal benefit, There was no mention of the second family taking cash.  

When asked by the government witness if they gave the families more money, Person and the suit guy both indicated later that they also gave each family singinicant money, but that seems odd.  The whole reason this scam was created was because person and the suit guy (Michel) were looking to benefit financially.  Given the way Person was acting in the discussions with Michel, it seemed he was desperate for cash.  I don’t know if I can believe Person actually gave someone money when he was in a state of desperation to get money quickly for some reason.  Seems odd the suit guy would either.  This is the same guy that fought with Dominique Wilkins at a Hawks game over $13,000 in payments that Wilkins owed the suit guy for some suits.   Person is obviously a greedy guy if he was willing to risk his job for some quick cash.  Seems plausible he just TOLD the government witness that he gave them 5 figures.  

I'd venture to say there's a lot more to this case that we don't know. We don't really know what else Person has said since being arrested. We don't know how much of that info has been shared with the NCAA. Basically all we know is the details from the original allegations document. But it does seem the NCAA is taking anything the FBI has shown or provided as fact. And I would think part of Auburn's argument for Wiley and Purifoy is based on Person's financial trouble and the fact that he was desperate for money. I think the difficult thing in this case is, if the NCAA believes money changed hands, it has to be shown somehow that those exchanges did not happen, and that seems very difficult to do.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I'd venture to say there's a lot more to this case that we don't know. We don't really know what else Person has said since being arrested. We don't know how much of that info has been shared with the NCAA. Basically all we know is the details from the original allegations document. But it does seem the NCAA is taking anything the FBI has shown or provided as fact. And I would think part of Auburn's argument for Wiley and Purifoy is based on Person's financial trouble and the fact that he was desperate for money. I think the difficult thing in this case is, if the NCAA believes money changed hands, it has to be shown somehow that those exchanges did not happen, and that seems very difficult to do.

Curious.....from a legal standpoint, if there is no absolute evidence (besides CP) that the exchanges took place, wouldn’t that be as hard to prove? Not sure I’m asking this correctly.  Just wondering if the two scenarios are equally hard to prove?  And in the case of Wiley, is it similar to the cam newton situation that a parent could have done something without the players knowledge? 

15 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Curious.....from a legal standpoint, if there is no absolute evidence (besides CP) that the exchanges took place, wouldn’t that be as hard to prove? Not sure I’m asking this correctly.  Just wondering if the two scenarios are equally hard to prove?  And in the case of Wiley, is it similar to the cam newton situation that a parent could have done something without the players knowledge? 

It seems to me that AU is keeping them out so that the NCAA can't come back and vacate wins later IF all this is proven to be true in the court of law.  My take is that because of the allegations by FBI this is not a case of "innocent until proven guilty".  Instead it is just the opposite.  "Guilty until AU can prove innocent".  With that being the case the burden falls to AU to exonerate them in order for them to not hurt the team down the road. 

22 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I don't think it's as difficult for the NCAA. They make the rules. So if they say the FBI says money changed hands and that's good enough for them, Auburn has to fight that. I don't know that it works exactly like that, but there definitely is more burden of proof on the accused than the accuser. The NCAA has always operated in a guilty until proven innocent manner, at least in my view.

In Wiley's case, I think it's very possible it's like the Cam Newton case. Unfortunately, Auburn and Cam Newton are the reason a rule was put into place to avoid that loophole in the future. Don't think we can win again arguing that position since we've already done it once and forced the NCAA to make changes.

Thanks all. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I was looking at it as why are they guilty til proven innocent. Understand it now.  Hate it for them and for Auburn.

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

SO your fav player was a guy who could hit 4 3s in a row, or miss 4 3s in a row, or simply fall down with no one around him, guard no one(= terrible D), or jack up a shot that all of us inc Coach Pearl would cringe at?:slapfh:I agree he could be better in NBA, but even in the NBA he HAS to be more consistent.

I think Wiley is the one we need back the most, just bc I could see at the Ark game, we struggled with height and muscle inside (I think we lost the rebounding battle)...but..I would NOT start Wiley and disrupt this chemistry...only slowly bring him into games. He would have to be super rusty...

I said favorite player not best. I criticized him in my post. Did you even read what I put after I said he was my favorite player? I thought everything I said was fair and for the most part accurate. Sorry next time you tell me who my favorite player should be. This year it is DeSean Murray. Does that work for you? Please get back to me ASAP so I can make arrangements if I need to change it...........

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I said favorite player not best. I criticized him in my post. Did you even read what I put after I said he was my favorite player? I thought everything I said was fair and for the most part accurate. Sorry next time you tell me who my favorite player should be. This year it is DeSean Murray. Does that work for you? Please get back to me ASAP so I can make arrangements if I need to change it...........

... he's too short to be any good ... and he played small time ball before auburn ... can't possibly be a help ...

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

... he's too short to be any good ... and he played small time ball before auburn ... can't possibly be a help ...

tenor.gif?itemid=5879412

I SEE YOU FAMMY!!!!  Formerly of THE BLUE HOOOOOOOOOOSE! like the announcer said the other night the best nickname in sports! lol

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lighten up GWill. I wasnt TOTALLY criticizing. Just having a little fun. I think Purifoy just needed to mature like the other players who were hot/cold (Heron, Harper, Purifoy, and at times BB). Now they seem to have matured, and are much better players on this team. 

The worry I have with Purifoy, was he got to RS, unlike the others who had to learn as freshmen. And he still was out of control last year. Now this NCAA/FBI thing is only setting him back even more. He's going to turn 23 this year..and if he doesnt play for us. ..I see nothing to bring him back next year. He'll just go play overseas i think.

And DeSean Murray is my fav AND best player as of right now too. :beer2:

Sorry for getting you riled up... It is the Italian in me..))

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Lighten up GWill. I wasnt TOTALLY criticizing. I just having a little fun. I think Purifoy just needed to mature like the other players who were hot/cold (Heron, Harper, Purifoy, and at times BB). Now they seem to have matured, and are much better players on this team. 

The worry I have with Purifoy, was he got to RS, unlike the others who had to learn as freshmen. And he still was out of control last year. Now this NCAA/FBI think is only setting him back even more. He's going to turn 23 this year..and if he doesnt play for us. ..I see nothing to bring him back next year. He'll just go play overseas i think.

And DeSean Murray is my fav AND best player as of right now too. :beer2:

Sorry for getting you riled up... It is the Italian in me..))

hahhahaha you have a unique way of going about it!!!! make it more obvious you are joking!!! I got defensive because I thought you were going for my jugular and I felt I needed to go on the ATTACK!!!!!!! lol..... ask @ellitor for tips! he used to have trouble on this front as well! WOOOO!!!! glad we agree on something!!!

tenor.gif

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I actually thought Purifoy was underwhelming last year. 

Archived