#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

All that talent we've recruited and we don't have the depth to deal with injuries.  You know what they say when the Updykes lose Fitzpatrick, Hamilton and Wilson in the same game?  

We do have talent across the board. However we didn't have much talent in the QB position. We do now thankfully lol 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mikey said:

If he wins just one of the "big two" he won't be gone. Our fans that somehow think we, a team coming off an 8-5 season "should have beaten" the defending national champs on their home field when we were breaking in a rusty QB and new OC are delusional.

I just want to point out that the only people on this forum that thought we were going to beat Clemson are Gus Malzahns biggest supporters.  I never thought Gus was going to beat Clemson.  Or LSU.  Or UGA. Or Bama.  It's Gus.  He will find a way to lose.  He always does. 

If Stidham were to get hurt (God forbid) Gus would never (EVER) let Willis run.  He would be another no-dimensional Auburn QB.  It's the "what if" Boogieman that keeps Gus awake at night these days, not the creative offensive juices that used to.

If Stidham were to get hurt (God forbid) Gus would never (EVER) let Willis run.  He would be another no-dimensional Auburn QB.  It's the "what if" Boogieman that keeps Gus awake at night these days, not the creative offensive juices that used to.

Can you imagine this offense with the old Gus? The Gus who wasn't afraid to take risks and actually knew how to run an offense? It would be amazing

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This applies a lot more so to the pro gus people. They get all sunshine and rainboys sunshine pumper like after some blow out wins vs bad teams. Are they that dense?

I think the point is maybe it’s not time to make a decision.  Thats what December’s for. November will potentially prove the-voice-of-reason/prophets-of-the-apocolypse right or the dense, hopelessly-clueless/sunshine pumpers (yep, Thats me) right.

I guess if people from both sides want to keep repeating the same old facts from years past, before this actually plays out. Enjoy your hobby.

45 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

You already know that answer just as well as I do... He wanted to go back to the offense that was great in 2013/2014. Unfortunately (once again) JF3 was horribly inaccurate and had fumbling issues. What exactly are you trying to prove DAG? 

I think he’s trying to prove that Gus should be held accountable and stop getting passes. Whether it’s on the field or in recruiting at the QB position

10 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

We do have talent across the board. However we didn't have much talent in the QB position. We do now thankfully lol 

We do? I must've missed that profound QB roster we have. Seriously, our back up has played in maybe 3 games for a total of 10 minutes and isn't even trusted to run anything more than a ZR left or right. These kids aren't being prepared plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

Can you imagine this offense with the old Gus? The Gus who wasn't afraid to take risks and actually knew how to run an offense? It would be amazing

You mean the OC that wasn't afraid to put the ball in the hands of 165 pound Onterio Mccallebb?  That RB wouldn't see the field in 2017.

Just now, leglessdan said:

We do? I must've missed that profound QB roster we have. Seriously, our back up has played in maybe 3 games for a total of 10 minutes and isn't even trusted to run anything more than a ZR left or right. These kids aren't being prepared plain and simple.

I would take Jarret Stidham/Malik Willis over Jeremy Johnson/Sean White any day. Idk anyone who wouldn't. As for being prepared part, I agree with that 

You mean the OC that wasn't afraid to put the ball in the hands of 165 pound Onterio Mccallebb?  That RB wouldn't see the field in 2017.

So because he was too small he shouldn't have played?? Dude was one of the fastest guys I have ever seen play football. That 80 yard sweep against LSU in 2010 was a thing of beauty

7 hours ago, djg0017 said:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Jumped up 6 spots. Surprised Ohio St didn’t fall further

I agree. How can you have them up there when they just got smoked by a 3 loss team. I would have PSU ahead of OSU even though they won the head to head. PSU has lost the last two games on the final drives of the games to two highly ranked opponents at their houses. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

I think he’s trying to prove that Gus should be held accountable and stop getting passes. Whether it’s on the field or in recruiting at the QB position

2015 and 2016 were disastrous when it came to the QB position. You're not always going to win the recruiting battles. However when you have QBs who are always injured or turn the ball over, what else can you honestly do. As for this year's Clemson/LSU debacle, that's all on Gus.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

So because he was too small he shouldn't have played?? Dude was one of the fastest guys I have ever seen play football. That 80 yard sweep against LSU in 2010 was a thing of beauty

There is a phrase in snow skiing, "yard sale".  Gus wasn't afraid for that to happen with "Squirrell".  Now he's scared to death that a freshman might fumble.  It's paralyzing him these days.

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

That's what he's saying...current Gus wouldn't play him because he's too small. Instead of realizing his potential 

2 hours ago, aufan57 said:

You have a head coach who would have lost four consecutive years to our biggest rivals. Do you give him the opportunity to make it five in a row? I say no way.

And we play both on the road next year.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree. How can you have them up there when they just got smoked by a 3 loss team. I would have PSU ahead of OSU even though they won the head to head. PSU has lost the last two games on the final drives of the games to two highly ranked opponents at their houses. 

Yep. Agree 100%

There is a phrase in snow skiing, "yard sale".  Gus wasn't afraid for that to happen with "Squirrell"

image.jpeg

LOL my bad. Completely read that the wrong way :dunno: agree wholeheartedly. What was it the coaches said after the clemson game? There linebackers were to big to run Kmart? lol  

14 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Thank you!!!

7 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

2015 and 2016 were disastrous when it came to the QB position. You're not always going to win the recruiting battles. However when you have QBs who are always injured or turn the ball over, what else can you honestly do. As for this year's Clemson/LSU debacle, that's all on Gus.  

Most teams have at least 3 scholarship qb’s on the roster, you can prepare them/adapt the offense to their strengths. Gus used to be so good at that, yet we ran very close to the same offense as NM with SW, JJ, JS, etc. I mean if he wanted to play to JS’ strengths this year he would make it a quick game and that doesn’t mean the “Gus patented screens”. Run slants, drags, angles, etc. instead it’s consistently run up the gut, wildcat, and play action deep and he expects the qb to be successful. Not to mention, even Jordan Rodgers said it, Stidham has been limited in his RPO decisions especially.  Gus could do WAY more to put his QB’s in a better situation to succeed

I mean if he wanted to play to JS’ strengths this year he would make it a quick game and that doesn’t mean the “Gus patented screens”. Run slants, drags, angles, etc.

You mean like he ran to perfection, say, like at Baylor maybe?  Wonder if there's film of that somewhere?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

No, no, no. That has not been what you have been saying the last couple of weeks. You said you were not impressed with UGA or their wins. Coincidently, we play them this week and funny, you have an epiphany that now with A++ talent he fits as a top tier coach in the SEC? Funny how that works. Playing dumb? Go find my previous post, I have been saying the SEC does not have quality coaches including CGM within that list.

Still not very impressed with Ga and their wins....nothing changed there. 

As for him being among the top tier coaches in the SEC perhaps I've been influenced by those folks on here crying that we could have had him instead of Gus....which is a crock of course but gotta give him credit to this point for doing well.     Otherwise I would not swap him for Gus. 

As you note, the top tier in the SEC is not much to brag about and I've been on record plenty on that subject.   So just curious, which coach in the SEC right now would you swap for Gus? ...after NS and DM is there anyone else?    I don't see anyone out there right now.    

My only other point on the coaching situation is that I expect us to do worse when we make a change....at least for the short run which to me is a couple of years.

Most teams have at least 3 scholarship qb’s on the roster, you can prepare them/adapt the offense to their strengths. Gus used to be so good at that, yet we ran very close to the same offense as NM with SW, JJ, JS, etc. I mean if he wanted to play to JS’ strengths this year he would make it a quick game and that doesn’t mean the “Gus patented screens”. Run slants, drags, angles, etc. instead it’s consistently run up the gut, wildcat, and play action deep and he expects the qb to be successful. Not to mention, even Jordan Rodgers said it, Stidham has been limited in his RPI decisions especially.  Gus could do WAY more to put his QB’s in a better situation to succeed

You prob know or have seen it more than I have Maverick, but what exactly did Malzahn's offense look like at Tulsa? granted the level of competition is nothing like the SEC, but I know that those two years they put up MASSIVE numbers.  

57 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

Proved what exactly? lol 

Not trying to pile on you. You seem like a pretty good poster, but the point is you are rationalizing everything. One instance you say, well he had a hurt QB. Okay that works for 2015. 2016, he specifically went out his way to build depth. Now, you say, well he didn't have a QB, JF3 was too turnover prone. It is 2017, he has a very good QB and a pretty damn good RB. Here you are already saying "Well, CGM does call conservative in big games." What? You just went out your way to say the circumstances caused this and now you are prefacing it with this tagline before a huge game.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Still not very impressed with Ga and their wins....nothing changed there. 

As for him being among the top tier coaches in the SEC perhaps I've been influenced by those folks on here crying that we could have had him instead of Gus....which is a crock of course but gotta give him credit to this point for doing well.     Otherwise I would not swap him for Gus. 

As you note, the top tier in the SEC is not much to brag about and I've been on record plenty on that subject.   So just curious, which coach in the SEC right now would you swap for Gus? ...after NS and DM is there anyone else?    I don't see anyone out there right now.    

My only other point on the coaching situation is that I expect us to do worse when we make a change....at least for the short run which to me is a couple of years.

Well, at least you are giving him credit. That is a step. You already know I am a fan of Dan Mullen, 64. Almost made me had to eat crow last week though.

Archived