#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

14 hours ago, around4ever said:

Tough one.  Assuming the losses are uga and uat, I think it depends on our plan, preparedness and production on the field. If we are good with the 3Ps and still lose close games, it would be hard to justify taking a chance on getting a top tier HC.  If we play like we did against Clemson and 2nd half of LSU, yeah, let's take the chance. 

"If not [G]us, who?..."

vs

"If not now, when?"

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AU-24 said:

Rarely do I talk Big 10 Football, but Ohio State (OSU) just lost to Iowa by like 5 scores.  OSU, with two loses on their schedule to include one at home, is ranked #11.

That same Iowa team that pounded OSU by 5 scores, has 3 loses and is ranked #25?

And both of their losses have basically been complete blowouts. They shouldn't be in the top 20. Granted the SEC isn't what it used to be, but the B10 is very overrated. 

7 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

"If not [G]us, who?..."

vs

"If not now, when?"

Pretty much.

Having Gus lead our team seems to be as much as an unknown as hiring a new HC.  

14 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think the point is maybe it’s not time to make a decision.  Thats what December’s for. November will potentially prove the-voice-of-reason/prophets-of-the-apocolypse right or the dense, hopelessly-clueless/sunshine pumpers (yep, Thats me) right.

I guess if people from both sides want to keep repeating the same old facts from years past, before this actually plays out. Enjoy your hobby.

My pump runneth continuously, though I will admit to occasional intake-related* reliability issues.

[joke for any M.E.s in the crowd - *cavitation due to insufficient Net Positive Sunshine Head]

37 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

And both of their losses have basically been complete blowouts. They shouldn't be in the top 20. Granted the SEC isn't what it used to be, but the B10 is very overrated. 

I just don’t get it?

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Rarely do I talk Big 10 Football, but Ohio State (OSU) just lost to Iowa by like 5 scores.  OSU, with two loses on their schedule to include one at home, is ranked #11.

That same Iowa team that pounded OSU by 5 scores, has 3 loses and is ranked #25?

I stand corrected. Iowa actually beat Ohio State by six scores!

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Had no clue that Lashlee was having that much success at UCONN.

It’s been odd to watch. Runs the same plays but throws a lot. 40% passing on first down too.

40 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

It’s been odd to watch. Runs the same plays but throws a lot. 40% passing on first down too.

Different philosophies

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I stand corrected. Iowa actually beat Ohio State by six scores!

Iowa followed them home and is still pounding them as of this very moment.

2 hours ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Lashlee has said that they passed a lot more when he was Gus' QB in high school.  Gus' offense at Tulsa also passed a lot more.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Different philosophies

Interestingly enough they started out with a dual threat and then went to a pocket passer. Keeping my eyes on Lashlee. Not for us, but very intrigued to see where he goes.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Lashlee has said that they passed a lot more when he was Gus' QB in high school.  Gus' offense at Tulsa also passed a lot more.

Gus has become so turnover paranoid that he is afraid of passes over the middle or boundary routes.  He doesn't have faith in his QB or WRs.   He does have faith in KJ and KP to not put the ball on the ground. He hasn't developed that faith in the other RBs. 

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

He does have faith in KJ and KP to not put the ball on the ground. He hasn't developed that faith in the other RBs. 

I wonder if that stems from Mario Fannin/Roc Thomas 

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Just say you got bested. Now you just making up the rules as you go. Why would I only get to choose from those two? What is Mikey’s rationale of only allowing me to choose between those two ? lol . There are several coaches on that list yet you asked me to pick between two. Sounds like an hidden agenda to me. 

I asked you top pick between those two because I thought anyone would agree that they are the only two available to Auburn. If you think, say,  Richt or Smart or any of the others listed will be available come January then by all means state your reasoning.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I asked you top pick between those two because I thought anyone would agree that they are the only two available to Auburn. If you think, say,  Richt or Smart or any of the others listed will be available come January then by all means state your reasoning.

Bruh let it go. You thought you were going to stump me with your original question  . I provided a valid answer . Now you are asking a loaded question that is beyond reason and logic that has nothing to do with anything . Sometimes you just got to tip your hat to the other poster and just move on . 

But if I must answer your question . I wouldn’t pick any of the two coaches that you tried to limit me to pick. However, I will reference you to the coaches thread where I have said verbatim who I want and who I think is available. 

Since this is lala land, off the list alone I would definitely choose Art Briles since he is ultra available but me and you both know that isn’t happening . Auburn wouldn’t pick up Kevin Sumlin and rightfully so. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's probably reasonable request.    We see lots of names tossed out but in reality, there are few coaches available...period.   And in my view at least,  none of them have a resume' that makes them attractive to a fan base that demands its team beat the top two teams in the nation in order for the coach to keep his job.

It would be nice to have a clearer picture of where AU thinks it's headed after Gus..... other than to roll the dice on some coach with two or three years at a lower level program.  

On 11/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, GwillMac6 said:

This applies a lot more so to the pro gus people. They get all sunshine and rainboys sunshine pumper like after some blow out wins vs bad teams. Are they that dense?

Yes.

On 11/5/2017 at 8:18 PM, Tiger96 said:

I keep hoping for a midlife crisis or something of that nature to happen to him lol His whole career is predicated to the spread wing-T option that he basically created in the late 90s. He's always know it to work, however as we all know Defensive coordinators have had him figured out for a while and he has never adjusted. Idk if he ever will. If he doesn't, then it's time to look elsewhere

I think he has already had his midlife crisis. That's when he bought the BMW.

On 11/5/2017 at 8:41 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

You mean the OC that wasn't afraid to put the ball in the hands of 165 pound Onterio Mccallebb?  That RB wouldn't see the field in 2017.

Yet he recruits the 5'5/160lb Shaun Shivers as one of our 2 RBs this recruiting cycle. I just don't get it.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, Tiger96 said:

In 2015, Sean white was our entire offense. His backup (once a heisman dark horse) was a INT throwing machine. We Sean White went down, our whole offense went down. 

In 2016, same scenario. Gus (knowing he needed another QB, preferably a dual threat) went out and got JF3, mainly due to the fact he had a strong arm and was incredibly fast (ie Nick Marshall). Even though he coached him up for months, he still couldn't throw accurately and had fumbling issues. Once again Sean White was our whole offense. Once he went down, our only viable options were a pocket passer who stared down receivers and an athlete who wasn't accurate and had fumbling issues. 

I can understand Gus going conservative at times in 2015/2016. However there was no need to go conservative with Stidham. Granted he was rusty at the start of the season, but the whole Clemson debacle was atrocious. I have no idea why gus doesn't implement some kind of intermediate passing routes. It's beyond stupidity. Bottom line is sometime during the 2015/2016 seasons Gus completely lost his mojo. He plays not to lose, which hardly ever works. 

Gus lost his mojo November 8th, 2014. Ever since that date, that game, he has never been the same.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gus lost his mojo November 8th, 2014. Ever since that date, that game, he has never been the same.

Normally I would agree with that, but a few weeks later we hung 44 points and 600+ yards on Bama in Tuscaloosa. However in the long run, that game definitely has screwed him up. 

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It would be nice to have a clearer picture of where AU thinks it's headed after Gus..... other than to roll the dice on some coach with two or three years at a lower level program

This is what worries me about moving on from Gus. Not that I think that’s a valid reason to not fire him if we need to, but it could be worse. We might go from complaining about blow out wins, to questioning why we aren’t blowing anyone out anymore. Or we could have early success followed by inconsistent results again. 

26 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

Normally I would agree with that, but a few weeks later we hung 44 points and 600+ yards on Bama in Tuscaloosa. However in the long run, that game definitely has screwed him up. 

Gus hasn't been the same since that game. After that game, something changed in him. Sure we have had our good games, mostly coming aganst much lesser competition. Yes there are rare events like the bama game you mentioned, but everything reverts back to that early November game at home, vs Texas A&M. 

Even during that Bama game, we had 1 good quarter scoring wise. 

6 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

This is what worries me about moving on from Gus. Not that I think that’s a valid reason to not fire him if we need to, but it could be worse. We might go from complaining about blow out wins, to questioning why we aren’t blowing anyone out anymore. Or we could have early success followed by inconsistent results again. 

Gus needs to win this week. He has been given benefit of a doubt after benefit of a doubt. The media has already set it up where we have a punches chance to make the playoffs despite our huge fail against LSU. He has all the horses to succeed. 

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gus hasn't been the same since that game. After that game, something changed in him. Sure we have had our good games, mostly coming aganst much lesser competition. Yes there are rare events like the bama game you mentioned, but everything reverts back to that early November game at home, vs Texas A&M. 

Even during that Bama game, we had 1 good quarter scoring wise. 

If only we could've gotten TDs instead of Field goals inside the 10 numerous times... lol I agree with you about him being different. Heck the whole football program hasn't been the same since. Hopefully that all changes this weekend. 

Yo....our rivals want us to keep Gus and wouldn't trade their current, or even on their way out, coaches for Gus. Sans maybe a faction of Arky fans -- emphasis on faction.

He's basically how we felt about Mike Shula. We wanted him to stay employed at Bama for as long as possible. If our opponents and rivals want us to keep him I mean I don't know what other info you need about whether he's good for us or not.

Archived