#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

1 minute ago, Tiger96 said:

You prob know or have seen it more than I have Maverick, but what exactly did Malzahn's offense look like at Tulsa? granted the level of competition is nothing like the SEC, but I know that those two years they put up MASSIVE numbers.  

His OC offense everywhere looks so much different than his HC offense. He adapted, yet added wrinkles that nobody expected, and got the most out of his offensive talent. I miss that part of Gus.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From everything we have seen from Gus, I think everyone can agree that looking back at the 2014 Iron Bowl performance, that they way we attacked Alabama was a head scratcher. We haven’t attacked anyone like that before. Especially when considering Marshall was the guy he chose to air it out with.

Just now, DAG said:

Not trying to pile on you. You seem like a pretty good poster, but the point is you are rationalizing everything. One instance you say, well he had a hurt QB. Okay that works for 2015. 2016, he specifically went out his way to build depth. Now, you say, well he didn't have a QB, JF3 was too turnover prone. It is 2017, he has a very good QB and a pretty damn good RB. Here you are already saying "Well, CGM does call conservative in big games." What? You just went out your way to say the circumstances caused this and now you are prefacing it with this tagline before a huge game.

In 2015, Sean white was our entire offense. His backup (once a heisman dark horse) was a INT throwing machine. We Sean White went down, our whole offense went down. 

In 2016, same scenario. Gus (knowing he needed another QB, preferably a dual threat) went out and got JF3, mainly due to the fact he had a strong arm and was incredibly fast (ie Nick Marshall). Even though he coached him up for months, he still couldn't throw accurately and had fumbling issues. Once again Sean White was our whole offense. Once he went down, our only viable options were a pocket passer who stared down receivers and an athlete who wasn't accurate and had fumbling issues. 

I can understand Gus going conservative at times in 2015/2016. However there was no need to go conservative with Stidham. Granted he was rusty at the start of the season, but the whole Clemson debacle was atrocious. I have no idea why gus doesn't implement some kind of intermediate passing routes. It's beyond stupidity. Bottom line is sometime during the 2015/2016 seasons Gus completely lost his mojo. He plays not to lose, which hardly ever works. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

His OC offense everywhere looks so much different than his HC offense. He adapted, yet added wrinkles that nobody expected, and got the most out of his offensive talent. I miss that part of Gus.

His 2009 offense at Auburn is still one of my favorites. There weren't any flashy players on that offense compared to his Newton/Marshall offenses, but it still operated really well. Those first 5 minutes of the 2009 Iron Bowl were a thing of beauty

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, at least you are giving him credit. That is a step. You already know I am a fan of Dan Mullen, 64. Almost made me had to eat crow last week though.

I'm good with DM ....don't like him much as a person but seems that most good coaches have a way of rubbing people the wrong way.   Re:  KS....can't avoid giving him credit for his season...but mostly I temper that with understanding of what a crappy schedule they have played.  Can't blame him for it .....it's amazing that half the SEC (well more than half) turned into  a bunch of Sun Belt quality teams almost over night with the SEC East leading the way.

As for DM....seems to be lot of talk on the national shows that he will be moving on this year.....lot of pretty good openings expected and time for him to say good bye to Starkvegas ....not much left to be done there. 

Just now, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

From everything we have seen from Gus, I think everyone can agree that looking back at the 2014 Iron Bowl performance, that they way we attacked Alabama was a head scratcher. We haven’t attacked anyone like that before. Especially when considering Marshall was the guy he chose to air it out with.

Dude threw for like 450 yards. I'm still in awe with how we torched them through the air

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I'm good with DM ....don't like him much as a person but seems that most good coaches have a way of rubbing people the wrong way.   Re:  KS....can't avoid giving him credit for his season...but mostly I temper that with understanding of what a crappy schedule they have played.  Can't blame him for it .....it's amazing that half the SEC (well more than half) turned into  a bunch of Sun Belt quality teams almost over night with the SEC East leading the way.

As for DM....seems to be lot of talk on the national shows that he will be moving on this year.....lot of pretty good openings expected and time for him to say good bye to Starkvegas ....not much left to be done there. 

He would choose UF over us for sure . That’s about all I got , IMO. Either way, I HOPE we do win with CGM and this stuff can be in rear view, but as of now , I am at a wait and see with him.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

He would choose UF over us for sure . That’s about all I got , IMO. Either way, I HOPE we do win with CGM and this stuff can be in rear view, but as of now , I am at a wait and see with him.

Many seem to think there is bad blood still with DM at UF. The one thing I wonder about though is how things are being done down at Miss State. Both when AU and Ole Miss got NCAA allegations, Miss State was had some part in it. 

2 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Many seem to think there is bad blood still with DM at UF. The one thing I wonder about though is how things are being done down at Miss State. Both when AU and Ole Miss got NCAA allegations, Miss State was had some part in it. 

The thing that, I feel, gives Dan Mullen some bolster is the fact that the acting AD is very supportive of DM and they have a good relationship. UF, the majority of them, do NOT want him haha. I will say, things can be worse. We could be like UF. For that, I will tip my hat to CGM. Not praise him, however.

Also, people need to remember, things can change in a week. If we beat UGA, They will be in full force at Kirby Smart because a couple games also define his season. This one, UF and the sec title. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing that, I feel, gives Dan Mullen some bolster is the fact that the acting AD is very supportive of DM and they have a good relationship. UF, the majority of them, do NOT want him haha. I will say, things can be worse. We could be like UF. For that, I will tip my hat to CGM. Not praise him, however.

Also, people need to remember, things can change in a week. If we beat UGA, They will be in full force at Kirby Smart because a couple games also define his season. This one, UF and the sec title. 

Right. What’s frustrating about Malzahn is the inconsistency in his decisions. Hell one of the best things he has done for us in the long run is fix our defense. He made the hire at DC and let him do his thing. The irony is that the opposite is happening on offense. I guess that’s part of having an “offensive” oriented HC. Just makes you wonder what seriously goes on behind the scenes. Go look at Lashlee at UCONN right now. Their W/L blows because the program was historically bad, but the offense is averaging 300 passing and over 150 rushing iirc. And their QB is a pass first guy. Just crazy.

It is fun to dream and why the heck not!  If we win out, we will be #4 or #3 in the polls.

1 minute ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Right. What’s frustrating about Malzahn is the inconsistency in his decisions. Hell one of the best things he has done for us in the long run is fix our defense. He made the hire at DC and let him do his thing. The irony is that the opposite is happening on offense. I guess that’s part of having an “offensive” oriented HC. Just makes you wonder what seriously goes on behind the scenes. Go look at Lashlee at UCONN right now. Their W/L blows because the program was historically bad, but the offense is averaging 300 passing and over 150 rushing iirc. And their QB is a pass first guy. Just crazy.

Had no clue that Lashlee was having that much success at UCONN.

Just now, DAG said:

Had no clue that Lashlee was having that much success at UCONN.

They've gone from 123rd in total offense to 53rd. Not bad for a one year turnaround 

16 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

They've gone from 123rd in total offense to 53rd. Not bad for a one year turnaround 

And mostly 2* talent ...no defense but he is helping keep them somewhat competitive.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hypothetically, we go 1-2 in our last 3, what do you do?

We go 1-2 then I would expect a coaching change. If I were Emperor of the Universe and we go 1-2 would I make a change? Not unless I had a solid commitment from a highly successful head coach to take the job.  If you fire a coach for losing to three of the top four teams in the nation, who you gonna' hire that would have beaten them?

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Injuries are part of the game. Part of the coach's job is to have capable and prepared backups to reload with.  We have failed miserably in that under Gus. 

How many schools you see compete for championships when there starting backfield gets hurt? Clemson does not win withOut Deshaun. And the Bammers are still saying they would have won if Scarborough had not broke his leg. Certain positions are more critical than others. Some you can plug and play and keep going. QB tends to be the most difficult particularly late in the season. You saw what happened earlier this season with Clemson and an injury to Bryant. FSU without Francois, and a few others....losing your starting QB can cost you a game or two or totally wreck your season. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We go 1-2 then I would expect a coaching change. If I were Emperor of the Universe and we go 1-2 would I make a change? Not unless I had a solid commitment from a highly successful head coach to take the job.  If you fire a coach for losing to three of the top four teams in the nation, who you gonna' hire that would have beaten them?

Someone who would've beaten one of them once in the last two years when they were unranked.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In some of their minds just hire a new offensive guy. ..keep Steele and the defense bring in a Fuente, Frost, Norvell, or another hot offensive candidate and boom problem solved. Or just hire the next Nick Saban that’s gotta be easy pickens right? Ya know no body else wants a Saban like coach but Auburn? The SEC West is the toughest division in football. Keep Gus or not, I’m an Auburn fan regardlss of the head guy. If he flames out so be it...But if you make a move it has to be the right one..many don’t like it but the two most proven out there are Stoops and Kelley and neither would appear to be on Auburn’s radar...but if it was me that’s where I’d start.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Someone who would've beaten one of them once in the last two years when they were unranked.

You know a coach that can win a big game without his QB? Got a name to go with that? It's not Dabo, Syracuse proved that.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You know a coach that can win a big game without his QB? Got a name to go with that? It's not Dabo, Syracuse proved that.

And Jimbo is big time exhibit A here. And he’s not just losing the big games.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Mark Richt. Beat us in 2015 without his.

Urban Meyer. Won an NC with a third string QB.

24 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

In some of their minds just hire a new offensive guy. ..keep Steele and the defense bring in a Fuente, Frost, Norvell, or another hot offensive candidate and boom problem solved. Or just hire the next Nick Saban that’s gotta be easy pickens right? Ya know no body else wants a Saban like coach but Auburn? The SEC West is the toughest division in football. Keep Gus or not, I’m an Auburn fan regardlss of the head guy. If he flames out so be it...But if you make a move it has to be the right one..many don’t like it but the two most proven out there are Stoops and Kelley and neither would appear to be on Auburn’s radar...but if it was me that’s where I’d start.

I think Stoops is truly done, though you can find the rumors that he didn't like the OU President and the idea of Riley being a coach in waiting. Stoops swears he is done regardless of its pro or college.

I have seen several sources state that Kelley has a strong dislike for recruiting. That is not gonna get it done against Saban.

Guess if you want to beat Alabama you go after Richt or Urban as they are the only active coaches that have beaten Saban twice. Then it is like Gus, Sumlin, Whittingham, Ferentz and Sweeny for active coaches that have even beat Saban at Alabama.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mark Richt. Beat us in 2015 without his.

richt has beat us with scrub qbs more than just 2015. He beat us with Hutson Mason, Joe Cox and  Joe Tereshinski as well. NONE were household names and were mediocre at best. All 3 were only 1 year starters. 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If they come out and lay an egg with 28 first down runs in a row, and Gus is Gus and looks like he did vs the last 2  Clemson games, and this past LSU game, you better believe they will, and it will be well deserved. Not everyone is impressed beating up on lesser teams.

This is the thing...there is no IF with him, it's gonna happen. We've watched him coach these AU teams long enough to know that he will not stray from his play-calling ways of first down runs and the like and if he does the least bit it won't be enough. Anyone who says different is lying to themselves. Deep pass, screen, run up the middle, screen, screen, deep pass, run up the middle, run up the middle. He makes fans like me seem like the worst pessimist but he brings it out of you. God forbid KJ gets seriously injured.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

2014. Kevin Sumlin comes into AU and beats the #3 ranked Auburn Tigers at home with true freshman Kyle Allen in his first SEC start. An unranked Aggies, BTW

Archived