#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

Just now, Tiger96 said:

You already know that answer just as well as I do... He wanted to go back to the offense that was great in 2013/2014. Unfortunately (once again) JF3 was horribly inaccurate and had fumbling issues. What exactly are you trying to prove DAG? 

Nothing. You proved it for me.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Hypothetically, we go 1-2 in our last 3, what do you do?

Tough one.  Assuming the losses are uga and uat, I think it depends on our plan, preparedness and production on the field. If we are good with the 3Ps and still lose close games, it would be hard to justify taking a chance on getting a top tier HC.  If we play like we did against Clemson and 2nd half of LSU, yeah, let's take the chance. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The only thing that matters is the final results. Last prior to the UGA game, weren't we one of the hottest teams in college football? #8 going into the UGA game, then we ended the season 0-3 and ranked #23.  Auburn ranked #6 coming into 2015 season. Ends up 7-6 and unranked at end of the year. In 2014, after starting the season ranked #6 and as high as #2, ends up on a three-game losing streak and ends the season ranked #23. 

You do a very good job of spinning stuff, but AU has been considered a top ten squad the last three years now based on the respect the media has been given us.

Auburn also went into those games (last season and year before) with an injury to its starting QB and RB. Something no other contender had to deal with last season. Some will probably run me off the board and say it’s an excise without merit. But in reality it was an adversity other contenders did not have to face. 

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Auburn also went into those games (last season and year before) with an injury to its starting QB and RB. Something no other contender had to deal with last season. Some will probably run me off the board and say it’s an excise without merit. But in reality it was an adversity other contenders did not have to face. 

That's fair POET. So, now you understand the #mantra, no excuse for this year and why it will run rampant until proven otherwise. I won't run you off for saying that, just don't run others off for saying otherwise.

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Couldn't agree more 

53 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

lol did you even read what I said? How many teams can honestly go toe to toe with UGA and Bama in back to back weeks and win with their back up? It would be one thing if we had gotten blown out in the previous 6 matchup with UGA/Bama. That I could understand. But 5 out of those 6 games have come down to either injuries or 1-2 plays. This year we have our starting QB for once. However considering how conservative Gus has been in big games lately, who knows what'll happen. 

we were going to lose regardless of who our QB was that year.  We could of beat georgia no matter who the qb was but gus cost us those games through his ridiculous gameplans.

42 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

And who was our QB that last 3 years? Jeremy Johnson and Sean White. Johnson was unfortunately a flop, and Sean white couldn't stay healthy for half a season. Any coach would be conservative when you have bad QB play. 

this take would have a lot more validity behind it..... IF HE WAS NOT CONSERVATIVE with the best pure passer IMO Auburn has ever had! The LSU second half was as conservative as it gets. HE BLEW IT. When we lose with gus anyone with basic football knowledge can see plain as day HOW we lost. It is because of the head coach and his asinine game plans.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

we were going to lose regardless of who our QB was that year.  We could of beat georgia no matter who the qb was but gus cost us those games through his ridiculous gameplans.

When the other team knows that your QB can't throw worth a dime, they're gonna load the box no matter what your coach is gonna call. I'll defend Gus for certain games from 2015/2016, but the last 2 Clemson games and this year's LSU game are still some of the worst playcalling I have ever seen

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's fair POET. So, now you understand the #mantra, no excuse for this year and why it will run rampant until proven otherwise. I won't run you off for saying that, just don't run others off for saying otherwise.

Only difference is the competition on paper appears to be brutal than last year. Auburn without a doubt will be the toughest opponent for both. Nevertheless I’m super excited about the next 3 games win or lose its what makes it exciting for me. 

this take would have a lot more validity behind it..... IF HE WAS NOT CONSERVATIVE with the best pure passer IMO Auburn has ever had! The LSU second half was as conservative as it gets. HE BLEW IT. When we lose with gus anyone with basic football knowledge can see plain as day HOW we lost. It is because of the head coach and his asinine game plans.

Couldn't agree more with you on that. The LSU game is mind boggling. Why we don't use intermediate routes at all is infuriating. You should only go conservative when you ABSOLUTELY have to. We should have went full throttle on LSU and beat them by 50. 

Just now, Tiger96 said:

When the other team knows that your QB can't throw worth a dime, they're gonna load the box no matter what your coach is gonna call. I'll defend Gus for certain games from 2015/2016, but the last 2 Clemson games and this year's LSU game are still some of the worst playcalling I have ever seen

well I am glad you can at least see it was his fault for those games. Jeremy Johnson WAS HIS GUY! That was his boy! He totally flamed out and Gus is lucky he had a very solid Sean White waiting in the wings or 7-6, 8-5 would of been 5-7 or worse.  People make the argument O well he just was not prepared for JJ to be as bad as he was... HE. IS. THE. HEAD. COACH!!!!! He is paid 4 million plus to make sure stuff like that does not happen. Anyone who does not put the blame of JJ at the feet of Gus has no hope in every thinking Gus needs to go.

1 minute ago, Tiger96 said:

Couldn't agree more with you on that. The LSU game is mind boggling. Why we don't use intermediate routes at all is infuriating. You should only go conservative when you ABSOLUTELY have to. We should have went full throttle on LSU and beat them by 50. 

It is year 5. He should be getting better at this stuff not worse. IDK people keep thinking there is hope for gus. 

43 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

If some people have already made their minds up that Gus is gone. I get it. Cut bait, just prolonging inevitable, can't change/evolve, can't grow quarterbacks, outdated scheme, panics at game time. Ect. I get it. But repeating the same exact points, hundreds of times, in hundreds of threads kinda seems like a poor use of personal time.  Ps I think the odds are against us trading up especially this year, and could set us back tremendously. But that's just my 2 cents.  Who knows.

To the fire Gus crowd.  We hear you (and hear you), youve made your same points so many times that we can all repeat them in our sleep. But for one week we're in the damn top 10 and have a ridicously remote chance at something pretty special. Dear lord can you enjoy this for one friggin week and let's see where this goes?

This applies a lot more so to the pro gus people. They get all sunshine and rainboys sunshine pumper like after some blow out wins vs bad teams. Are they that dense?

well I am glad you can at least see it was his fault for those games. Jeremy Johnson WAS HIS GUY! That was his boy! He totally flamed out and Gus is lucky he had a very solid Sean White waiting in the wings or 7-6, 8-5 would of been 5-7 or worse.  People make the argument O well he just was not prepared for JJ to be as bad as he was... HE. IS. THE. HEAD. COACH!!!!! He is paid 4 million plus to make sure stuff like that does not happen. Anyone who does not put the blame of JJ at the feet of Gus has no hope in every thinking Gus needs to go.

Trust me, those games were definitely on him. I was at that LSU game a few weeks ago and we should have left Gus in the stadium lol. People can argue over the whole JJ debacle for a long time. Dude had all the tools and looked to be really good when he played (although this was against FAU, Western Carolina, and a half against Arkansas who had prepared all offseason for the read option instead of an arial attack). JJ was all mental, and usually you can't coach somebody out of something like that. 

22 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

I give Gus a pass for the UGA/Bama games in 2015 and 2016. 

Seriously?  THE four most important games of the last two seasons don't really matter?  $4 Million to coach 10 out of 12 games a year.

It is year 5. He should be getting better at this stuff not worse. IDK people keep thinking there is hope for gus. 

I keep hoping for a midlife crisis or something of that nature to happen to him lol His whole career is predicated to the spread wing-T option that he basically created in the late 90s. He's always know it to work, however as we all know Defensive coordinators have had him figured out for a while and he has never adjusted. Idk if he ever will. If he doesn't, then it's time to look elsewhere

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Only difference is the competition on paper appears to be brutal than last year. Auburn without a doubt will be the toughest opponent for both. Nevertheless I’m super excited about the next 3 games win or lose its what makes it exciting for me. 

It is very exciting!

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

Seriously?  THE four most important games of the last two seasons don't really matter?  $4 Million to coach 10 out of 12 games a year.

Only reasons I give him a pass were due to injuries. I never said those games don't matter lol a healthy sean white/Pettway beats UGA both years and possibly Bama both years. 

Gus is never going to have a chizik like season where the bottom falls out. That is why you can have all these hanger on's of the gus bus that just do not want to let go of the rope. They still want to believe in gus when he has given them no reason to believe in him. 

Only reasons I give him a pass were due to injuries. I never said those games don't matter lol a healthy sean white/Pettway beats UGA both years and possibly Bama both years. 

Injuries are part of the game. Part of the coach's job is to have capable and prepared backups to reload with.  We have failed miserably in that under Gus. 

May move up to 9 or so in the playoff rankings. AP is essentially useless now. Just a talking point really until Tuesday evening.

All that talent we've recruited and we don't have the depth to deal with injuries.  You know what they say when the Updykes lose Fitzpatrick, Hamilton and Wilson in the same game?  

Gus is never going to have a chizik like season where the bottom falls out. That is why you can have all these hanger on's of the gus bus that just do not want to let go of the rope. They still want to believe in gus when he has given them no reason to believe in him. 

az616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=818&h=14daae094

Archived