#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You know a coach that can win a big game without his QB? Got a name to go with that? It's not Dabo, Syracuse proved that.

Art Briles beats #6 Oklahoma State with true freshman JS in Stillwater. Oh, btw. Second String QB JS got hurt in that game and third-string QB Chris Johnson finished it off with two TDs and a 45-35 win. I just want you to get every notification in case you are wondering why I keep quoting you.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You know a coach that can win a big game without his QB? Got a name to go with that? It's not Dabo, Syracuse proved that.

In 2015, an unranked, .500 AU tigers go into Kyle Field and beat #19 Texas A&M Aggies with the forgotten JJ after SW goes down with an injury.  JJ goes 13-17, 132 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In 2006, Arkansas had a 3 QB battle. Casey Dick was the favorite going in, but a back injury caused Houston Dale Nutt to name older Robert Johnson the starter. After the poor play by Robert Johnson, True freshman Mitch Mustain was giving the reigns. MM would be the QB leading an unranked Arkansas passed #2 AU tigers at JH stadium. But wait there is more! 

Offensive Coordinator at that time was Gus Malzhan. What a hoot.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

In 2006, Arkansas had a 3 QB battle. Casey Dick was the favorite going in, but a back injury caused Houston Dale Nutt to name older Robert Johnson the starter. After the poor play by Robert Johnson, True freshman Mitch Mustain was giving the reigns. MM would be the QB leading an unranked Arkansas passed #2 AU tigers at JH stadium. But wait there is more! 

FDAN_LsH1fZh4nDYK_3GvRU42HA=.gif

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

FDAN_LsH1fZh4nDYK_3GvRU42HA=.gif

One more! Less we not forget. Kirby Smart goes into south bend with true freshman QB Jake Fromm in his first ever collegiate start and squeaks out a victory. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

One more! Less we not forget. Kirby Smart goes into south bend with true freshman QB Jake Fromm in his first ever collegiate start and squeaks out a victory. 

Savage!

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Savage!

So let’s look at that list :

Kevin Sumlin

Gus Malzahn 

Urban Meyer

Mark Richt 

Houston Nutt

Art Briles 

Kirby Smart

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Kevin Sumlin

Gus Malzahn 

Urban Meyer

Mark Richt 

Houston Nutt

Art Briles 

Kirby Smart

Might as well call you butter from here on out because you're on a roll.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Top-ten team, still a shot at the playoffs in November, so let's fire the coach, right? We have some fans with weird ideas on here.

You may be an expert evaluator in linebacker talent and depth but, you're a lousy coach evaluator.

34 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

You may be an expert evaluator in linebacker talent and depth but, you're a lousy coach evaluator.

9RP9FAs.gif

Question #1...So the key to being a good HC candidate for Auburn  is to have beaten Auburn ?   Someone needs to explain that to me 'cause I think I must be missing something.

And question #2....we want to give the new HC full authority to run the program but he must keep Steele and his guys?  What serious coach would sign up for that?

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Kevin Sumlin

Gus Malzahn 

Urban Meyer

Mark Richt 

Houston Nutt

Art Briles 

Kirby Smart

Some of those don't fit the criteria, but I'll let that slide. You failed to mention which of those coaches you'd hire to replace Malzahn. Nutt, and probably Sumlin will be available. Which one of those two do you want?

15 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Mods....... just read 7 pages of why not to keep a coach in a thread about ap rankings.  Derailed thread.  Clean up isle 7

I think is has to do with the fact that we are only ranked #10 or something like that....

I will say that I have enjoyed this back and forth conversation. Especially because no one has used words like idiotic, ludicrous, dumbest, moronic, etc. Those words are used way too much on this forum, even by mods. 

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some of those don't fit the criteria, but I'll let that slide. You failed to mention which of those coaches you'd hire to replace Malzahn. Nutt, and probably Sumlin will be available. Which one of those two do you want?

Just say you got bested. Now you just making up the rules as you go. Why would I only get to choose from those two? What is Mikey’s rationale of only allowing me to choose between those two ? lol . There are several coaches on that list yet you asked me to pick between two. Sounds like an hidden agenda to me. 

45 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I will say that I have enjoyed this back and forth conversation. Especially because no one has used words like idiotic, ludicrous, dumbest, moronic, etc. Those words are used way too much on this forum, even by mods. 

Well, that's just stupid.

:poke:

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Well, that's just stupid.

:poke:

Someone found a new word for the list.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Just for the record in my post it referred to championships...not games...last one maybe Cardele with tOSU....however your point is spot on about big games.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Kevin Sumlin

Gus Malzahn 

Urban Meyer

Mark Richt 

Houston Nutt

Art Briles 

Kirby Smart

And the only one that won a championship was Meyer. At some point that new QB non starter proved later while they were exactly that. They might have got a few wins, but they very rarely if ever lead the team to a title. Point SW had the offense going last season and had he not gotten hurt, the odds were better that Auburn would have defeated UGA. I think only one of those QBS amounted to much afterwards, and they lost a few big games down the line but the book is still open on Stidham and Fromm....sidebar great flashback on all those wins by non starters....i had forgot about a lot of those.

20 hours ago, djg0017 said:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Jumped up 6 spots. Surprised Ohio St didn’t fall further

Rarely do I talk Big 10 Football, but Ohio State (OSU) just lost to Iowa by like 5 scores.  OSU, with two loses on their schedule to include one at home, is ranked #11.

That same Iowa team that pounded OSU by 5 scores, has 3 loses and is ranked #25?

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

We go 1-2 then I would expect a coaching change. If I were Emperor of the Universe and we go 1-2 would I make a change? Not unless I had a solid commitment from a highly successful head coach to take the job.  If you fire a coach for losing to three of the top four teams in the nation, who you gonna' hire that would have beaten them?

I agree. To lose 2 GA and ALabama 4 years in a row, tells us as Auburn fans, that Gus can't win against our 2 biggest rivals, unless he has a miracle year.

And there were games with GA, we should have won. I think as good as Alabama has been the last 4 years, he would have gotten a reprieve, if he could have beaten GA when GA struggled.

And remember, Gus has been 7-2 the last few years, and look where we  ended? And Amen corner STILL is a gauge of your coach's success!!

51 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Just for the record in my post it referred to championships...not games...last one maybe Cardele with tOSU....however your point is spot on about big games.

I absolutely agree with your point . Unrealistic to think a coach can win a NC without a starting QB or RB.

Archived